Tax filing VA part year resident tax issue

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
core4portfolio

Tax filing VA part year resident tax issue

Post by core4portfolio » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:48 am

Hi

I moved from VA to WA on mid November. My new employer in WA took my VA address and deducted tax for 1 paycheck.

Old Employer - W2 100% in VA only till Mid November. No issues in W2.
New Employer - W2 - first paycheck with VA address (wrongly deducted state tax as I moved to WA on day 1 of this job) on Nov 22 however other pay check are corrected with WA address

I contacted new employer after issues first paycheck but they failed to reverse the tax paid.

Currently Turbotax is populating the Old employer W2+ 1st paycheck W2 of employer as Total wages of VA
While filing taxes as part time resident for VA, if i specify only Old employer W2 wages only then Iam doing correct ?
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

Wiggums

Re: Tax filing VA part year resident tax issue

Post by Wiggums » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:48 am

core4portfolio wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:48 am
Hi

I moved from VA to WA on mid November. My new employer in WA took my VA address and deducted tax for 1 paycheck.

Old Employer - W2 100% in VA only till Mid November. No issues in W2.
New Employer - W2 - first paycheck with VA address (wrongly deducted state tax as I moved to WA on day 1 of this job) on Nov 22 however other pay check are corrected with WA address

I contacted new employer after issues first paycheck but they failed to reverse the tax paid.

Currently Turbotax is populating the Old employer W2+ 1st paycheck W2 of employer as Total wages of VA
While filing taxes as part time resident for VA, if i specify only Old employer W2 wages only then Iam doing correct ?
The employer should have corrected the mistake, but it’s not an easy task, so most will not do it. My company uses SAP and they do not make this type of correct. Now your need to file a state return for VA. I think that is what you are saying.
Last edited by Wiggums on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

muddgirl

Post by muddgirl » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:58 am

I have had TurboTax mess up partial-year state returns before. Yes you should only pay VA tax on VA income and get a refund from the withholding of your second job in WA. If TurboTax is blindly following the W2 you will need to consider the form and instructions yourself.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:27 am

TurboTax is defaulting to the best guess based on the information you entered. Yes, you should adjust it to report only the income you earned from your first job as income earned while a Va resident.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:17 am

When I was in high school, I said my w2 was
Incorrect and the store owner sat at a typewriter and typed up a new one. Those were the good old days. No ERP system back then. :-)

Topic Author
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:43 am

Thanks everyone. I will fix it by giving just employer 1 income alone as VA income.
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner