Best car tires to buy and best place to buy them?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
supersharpie

Best car tires to buy and best place to buy them?

Post by supersharpie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 pm

Need to replace all four for the first time in years. Eying options in the 60k to 100k mileage range. Being a Boglehead I am looking the best bang for my buck.

Any suggestions?

FYI - I live in the mid-Atlantic where we generally have mild winters so I am going the all weather route. Looking for ones that can handle occasional ice and snow, but 98% of the time I am driving on wet or dry roads.

bob60014

Re: Best car tires to buy and best place to buy them?

Post by bob60014 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:01 pm

Make, model and year of vehicle would help.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:04 pm

Costco if you’re a member. Otherwise try discount tire or the like. Or order through tirerack.com and send to your local mechanic.

JT

Topic Author
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:05 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:01 pm
2012 Mazda 3i

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:15 pm

supersharpie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:05 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:01 pm
2012 Mazda 3i
I recommend Costco.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:21 pm

I like Goodyear comfor-tred. (Spelling??)

anoop

Post by anoop » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:56 pm

Research on tirerack.com. Buy from Costco (if member) or America's Tire Co.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:00 pm

Recently purchased the Firestone Weathergrip all weather tire off tirerack.com when there was a rebate going on for our Subaru Forester. Of course after I install these tires (moving from all season to all weather) we haven't had any snow here in Delaware.

Go figure. Good in the rain though.

Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Discount Tire recently opened locations in my area, and I literally bought a set from them today for the first time. They had a terrific deal going and undercut everyone else by $150 out the door on a specific set of tires I was looking for.

They even told me I could start bringing my wife's car in for free rotations even though she has a newer car with OEM tires. This is the first time I've ever heard of a place willing to do free rotations for tires that weren't purchased at their shop. Considering those OEM tires still have around 25k miles left in them, that'll save us some money on future rotations for those tires.

Not to mention, I was in and out of there in 25 minutes. Seems like every other time I've always gotten a set of tires at other places I'm having to wait at least 90 minutes, if not two hours.

Discount Tire just won me over today. I'll be a returning customer.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:27 pm

I buy tires from Tirerack.com. Not sure if it is best place to buy, but it is convenient to pick all the tires I want.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:09 pm

Costco Michelin Defenders......they go on sale every couple of months.....very nice tires

free install, and free rotation
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

wander

Post by wander » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:37 am

Socrates wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:09 pm
Costco Michelin Defenders......they go on sale every couple of months.....very nice tires

free install, and free rotation
I heard free rotation but never heard of free install.

Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:05 am

Consumer Reports recently did a study on tires. It's conclusion for "All Weather" tires, is the General Tire Altimax RT43. Good specs, good price. We recently had a set installed on our Avalon. Nice ride! Michelin Defenders finished second.

trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:31 am

Johnny Thinwallet wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 pm
Discount Tire recently opened locations in my area, and I literally bought a set from them today for the first time. They had a terrific deal going and undercut everyone else by $150 out the door on a specific set of tires I was looking for.

They even told me I could start bringing my wife's car in for free rotations even though she has a newer car with OEM tires. This is the first time I've ever heard of a place willing to do free rotations for tires that weren't purchased at their shop. Considering those OEM tires still have around 25k miles left in them, that'll save us some money on future rotations for those tires.

Not to mention, I was in and out of there in 25 minutes. Seems like every other time I've always gotten a set of tires at other places I'm having to wait at least 90 minutes, if not two hours.

+1 for Discount Tire. I actually go a bit out of my way to go to the nearest one because they have great service. I have heard good things about Costco, but they do not have any tires that fit my Yaris (weird tire size).
"Invest in seven ventures, yes, in eight; you do not know what disaster may come upon the land." -Ecclesiastes 11:2 NIV

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:06 pm

[I heard free rotation but never heard of free install./quote]

You are right....however, when you buy tires on sale, they have special sales where the tires are discounted, but also the installation is heavily discount (e.g., free balancing). There are some very basic charges, but again they are heavily discounted.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:09 pm

I buy mine on Tirerack. They make it easy to ship to a tire shop that will install them. Call ahead to the tire shop to confirm they will take delivery and what the fees will be. I've found this to be cheaper than having the tire shop order. Also, in my case, Tirerack included a warranty that would not have been included if the tire shop ordered the tire.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:20 pm

Johnny Thinwallet wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 pm

I have been a loyal customer of Discount Tire for almost 30 years.Great customer service,they dont try to sell you other services and they have always priced matched with a smile.One of the few stores of any kind were all the employees seem happy to be working there and are always courteous to customers.

Steve80109

Post by Steve80109 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:53 am

I've always buy at Discount tire. Prices are fair and they have been great giving me credit for trade in tires that are wearing faster than warranty.

And the most important reason for me is that they are a national chain that have stores where I travel. I've had a couple of enroute road hazard problems and they've always taken care of me. Even kept a store open late in Missouri so I could emergency repairs.