Online bank recommendations

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Lyra

Online bank recommendations

Post by Lyra » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:00 pm

I have a few local banks and Capital One 360 which I love. Capital One is my personal spending account and one of the local banks is the landlord account (rent in and expenses out) which I did to simplify things. I'm seeing that the local bank has some glitches in bill pay, and a few other (tolerable annoyances). But I now see that when they changed over to a new webpage recently they did not import the transactions, meaning if they do this again I'd need to find these on my monthly statements instead of all in one place in the bill pay history. At income tax time this makes things much easier. For this reason I'm looking for an online bank that has excellent bill pay, decent interest rates and good customer service. I would still have tenants deposit locally because they're all auto transferring at this point, but would then move the money to the online bank for bill pay.
Interested in everyone's opinions.

Bogle7

DCU

Post by Bogle7 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:06 pm

DCU.org
But, I am biased as a "member" for 40+ years.
We use for personal use and business.
They are a member of a huge network of credit unions so if you need a local branch, there is one.

dallasjava

Re: Online bank recommendations

Post by dallasjava » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:45 pm

I switched to Alliant Credit Union last year. I’ve been generally happy with them.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:11 pm

Ally Bank
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Huberpc27

Post by Huberpc27 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:39 pm

Have had Ally, HSBC, and Capital One for years, and rotate when there are large differences (not quantified). Recently shifted to HSBC, but took a couple weeks, and rates quickly fell in steps from 2.05% to 1.85%. Would have to say my gut says Ally is the best overall.

Have been curious about what

https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/banking ... nw_gn1_4.0

And

https://www.depositaccounts.com/

Say so I check them out occasionally.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:41 pm

I'm a little confused as to OP's bank situation. But I love my Capital One accounts. I have 2 "traditional" accounts, & a 360 account. And they are all linked under one online login. So I can transfer funds between the online 360 & the "traditional" accounts. And in my area, Capital One has a couple branches that aren't too far.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

VanGuppy

Post by VanGuppy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Ally bank for savings/checking larger share and credit union same for smaller share.

vshun

Post by vshun » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:02 pm

I have been using firstib.com for the last 15-20 years or so since SFNB which I think was the very first internet bank was sold. Great customer service. Pays 0.7% back on interest checking now with all the other Internet bank appropriate perks.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 pm

OP, you seem to already have a good collection of banks. I don't think you can do much better than your status quo.