madsinger monthly report (January 2020)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
madsinger
Posts: 984
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:26 pm

madsinger monthly report (January 2020)

Post by madsinger »

Here is a big fat collection of portfolios, with their January 2020 returns, 2020 YTD return, and annualized returns since 1999, 2010, 2015, and 2017 (21 years 1 month, 10 years 1 month, 5 years 1 month, 3 years 1 month). I broke them into four categories, roughly corresponding to 100/0, 80/20, 60/40, 40/60 stock/bond portfolios, sorted by 10 year Total Return. The 3 fund is 50/30/20 Total Stock/Total Int'l/Total Bond. The s&d is 10 each of VFIAX, VVIAX, VSMAX, VSIAX, VGSLX, 25 VTIAX, 5 VINEX, 20 VTABX. The coffeehouse is a 60/40 described at The Coffeehouse Investor. The Newsletter portfolios are from a newsletter following Vanguard funds. William Bernstein's "Sheltered Sam" is an all stock portfolio which is 20% VFIAX, 25% VVIAX, 5% VSMAX, 15% VSIAX, 10% VGSLX, 3% IAU, 5% each VEUSX, VPADX, VEMAX, and 7% VTRIX. The madsinger portfolio is my real-world portfolio, roughly 50/6/11/33 stock/REIT/Gold/bond. The madsingerPP portfolio is the "permanent portfolio" portion of my portfolio consisting of 25% each of stock, long bond, cash, gold.

-Brad.

Code: Select all

                                   CAGR    CAGR    CAGR    CAGR
                   Jan     YTD     since   since   since   since
                   2020    2020    2017    2015    2010    1999
VFINX             -0.04%  -0.04%  14.71%  11.36%  13.29%   6.59%
Sheltered Sam     -1.80%  -1.80%   9.45%   7.90%  10.22%   7.74%
Hot Hands          3.09%   3.09%   9.98%   5.76%  10.22%  10.56%
                  
Newsletter G-IND  -0.80%  -0.80%  11.89%   9.36%  11.86%   7.26%
Newsletter G      -1.50%  -1.50%  12.64%   9.74%  11.79%   9.76%
LS G              -0.69%  -0.69%  10.41%   7.63%   9.19%   5.78%
3 fund            -0.61%  -0.61%  10.61%   7.72%   8.90%   6.27%
s&d               -1.29%  -1.29%   8.40%   6.66%   8.61%   7.34%

Code: Select all

Newsletter CG     -0.80%  -0.80%  11.72%   9.15%  11.02%   8.32%
Wellington         0.35%   0.35%  10.54%   8.49%   9.85%   7.82%
STAR               0.18%   0.18%  10.78%   7.71%   8.90%   7.00%
coffeehouse       -0.17%  -0.17%   7.63%   6.24%   8.30%   7.08%
LS MG              0.03%   0.03%   9.05%   6.71%   8.02%   5.65%
                  
Newsletter Inc    -0.10%  -0.10%  11.45%   8.51%   9.94%   6.53%
Wellesley          1.28%   1.28%   7.93%   6.62%   8.04%   6.92%
LS CG              0.71%   0.71%   7.62%   5.71%   6.63%   5.26%
                  
madsinger          0.36%   0.36%   7.96%   6.10%   7.89%   
madsinger PP       3.19%   3.19%   9.33%   6.19%      
User avatar
Topic Author
madsinger
Posts: 984
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:26 pm

Re: madsinger monthly report (January 2020)

Post by madsinger »

Happy 2020 all! A little rough sailing in the stock market right at the end of January pulled portfolios down for the month. US Large growth did quite well, while value and small caps were down -2 to -3%. International stocks down -3% to -5% for emerging markets. Bonds were up, +2% for total Bond, and Long Bonds up over 7%! Gold was also up sharply (over +4.5%). The first few days of February have reversed these trends, and we'll wait and see what the rest of the month holds.

The Permanent Portfolio was up over +3% for the month, thanks to strong returns in Long Bonds and Gold.

Code: Select all

          STOCK   LONG BOND  SHORT BOND    GOLD    PORTFOLIO 
January   -0.04%    7.34%       0.95%      4.62%     3.19%
sycamore
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Re: madsinger monthly report (January 2020)

Post by sycamore »

Happy 2020, and thanks for posting the monthly report.

Glad to see Wellington doing quite nicely compared to its 60/40 competitors. I used to own it a long time ago but still like to see how it's doing.
Post Reply