What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
eddot98

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by eddot98 »

James Gang - Yer Album

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj ... FW3o8G4RYK

There are a few clunkers on this album, but several standout songs: Funk 48, Lost Woman, Bluebird, Stop
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:28 pm Beggars Banquet — The Rolling Stones. It’s one of my favorite Stones albums. Another is Let it Bleed, their last album with Brian Jones.
Don’t forget this, one of the greatest concerts ever recorded, The Brussels Affair in 1973:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI ... kSph2XU6jU
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

eddot98 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:04 pm
Nicolas wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:28 pm Beggars Banquet — The Rolling Stones. It’s one of my favorite Stones albums. Another is Let it Bleed, their last album with Brian Jones.
Don’t forget this, one of the greatest concerts ever recorded, The Brussels Affair in 1973:

I haven’t heard it. I’ll give it a listen, thanks.
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

I'll be sure to check out that stones concert tonight!

In addition to Let it Bleed and Beggars, I'd add Exile and most definitely Goat Head Soup to my list.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Calhoon wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:06 am I'll be sure to check out that stones concert tonight!

In addition to Let it Bleed and Beggars, I'd add Exile and most definitely Goat Head Soup to my list.
I pretty much like them all, even TSMR.

Now listening to Miles Runs the Voodoo Down — Miles Davis with Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, and others.

There’s a nice article in the current Atlantic about Wayne Shorter. I can’t link it because it’s behind a paywall. But Apple News subscribers can see it now. (And there’s one in The New Yorker too).

This caught my eye, “In a 2014 interview, the saxophonist Wayne Shorter was asked how often his working quartet rehearsed. His reply was evasive and illuminating: ‘How do you rehearse the future?’”. He wasn’t just one of the best jazz musicians ever, he was a philosopher.

Now listening to the box set The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965 by The Miles Davis Quintet as it was so talked up in these articles about Shorter. They say it’s historic. Shorter was different live than in the studio. In the studio he was more circumspect but when playing live he really let loose.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

eddot98 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:04 pm

I’m listening now on Apple Music to avoid the annoying ads. It’s a good show, thanks. Inexplicably YouTube has the first song “Brown Sugar” last.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

Tonight I’m listening to the new live album by the Hayde Bluegrass Orchestra.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's Saturday night - The Blues Show with Jonny Meister: 3/18/23

I'm "streaming" it live in Philadelphia on FM radio station 88.5 WXPN.

One reason I love the blues is the selection of song's subject matter. You get comfortable listening to the usual stuff and then get thrown something that makes you stop in your tracks. "I can't stand you" by the Cash Box Kings was hilarious.

Other reasons are the artists' creativity. Not only in lyrics, but how the players express their emotions through the instruments. This is also why I like the follow-up Blue Dimensions at midnight.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Enya, Only Time
Diana Krall, Let’s Fall in Love
Diana Krall, I’ve Got You Under My Skin
Dido, Hunter
Dido, No Angel
Dido, Thank You
Sade, Paradise
Windmills of Your Mind (theme song to The Thomas Crown Affair)
Theme Song to A Man and A Woman
Sade, Keep Looking
Ella Fitzgerald, What A Difference A Day Makes
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

Eddot89- That brussels shows is awesome! So good. I found the full album on youtube and had it on repeat the past few days.

Nicholas - yeah, I've been hyper-focused on the beggars to goathead soup era, which for years was the only stones music I was interested in, but I'm just now starting to expand to their other albums, like Some Girls. I'll have to add Satanic Majesties to the list.
Stevee

Post by Stevee »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:53 pm Bill Evans, jazz pianist with trio

"You Must Believe in Spring"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlKzkdtW9I
I am currently listening to a version of "You Must Believe in Spring" - Tony Bennett accompanied by Bill Evans. 8-)
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Stevee wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:16 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:53 pm Bill Evans, jazz pianist with trio

"You Must Believe in Spring"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlKzkdtW9I
I am currently listening to a version of "You Must Believe in Spring" - Tony Bennett accompanied by Bill Evans. 8-)
:sharebeer
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The “Bogleheads Live” podcast with Jon and Mike Piper!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

You’re Unbelievable, by EMF
rob

Post by rob »

Tonight is new for me... Running through some Mary Chapin Carpenter... Some are pretty good and she has a great voice. Some are more country but some more folk.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

A cover of the U2 song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by Peter Hollens and the a capella group Home Free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6CE5IMX_7M

Six men. Singing. Plus bonus flash mob.

You know when a favorite song you know takes you to a joyful place, where only the music matters, and all humanity seems a community of one mind, one heart, and a multitude of voices - that is this song. No worries here any more, the world is all right. When you hear a Home Free song you are going to have a good day.

If you start down the Home Free rabbit hole you will want to experience "Man of Constant Sorrow," "Ring of Fire," and "Elvira" (with the Oak Ridge Boys). Truly amazing, and a gift to the human race in this troublous time. Listen and be free.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

O Movimento — Olodum
Os Mutantes Essentials on Apple Music
rob

Post by rob »

Ivygirl wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:18 pm A cover of the U2 song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by Peter Hollens and the a capella group Home Free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6CE5IMX_7M

Six men. Singing. Plus bonus flash mob.

You know when a favorite song you know takes you to a joyful place, where only the music matters, and all humanity seems a community of one mind, one heart, and a multitude of voices - that is this song. No worries here any more, the world is all right. When you hear a Home Free song you are going to have a good day.

If you start down the Home Free rabbit hole you will want to experience "Man of Constant Sorrow," "Ring of Fire," and "Elvira" (with the Oak Ridge Boys). Truly amazing, and a gift to the human race in this troublous time. Listen and be free.
HF is great. You might also want to checkout the new U2 release of acoustic versions of a stack of old songs (Songs Of Surrender). I'm about 1 disc into the 4 and so far it's pretty good.
matti

Post by matti »

I'm listening to a podcast about the ghost stories stemming from the horrific 1912 Villisca, IA axe murders.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Bringing It All Back Home — Bob Dylan. One of my all-time favorite albums, released on this day in 1965. https://www.beachamjournal.com/journal/ ... rch-2.html
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

On youtube, Ghost Riders by The Outlaws
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Springlike-ish weather is kinda sorta here in the upper Midwest - so it will be bicycle-riding and music streaming on the phone. Favorites for that activity are any random Reggae and some good blues. Susan Tedeschi and Larry Garner are my current blues favorites. Can't beat Reggae for slow <rolling> on the bike on a nice afternoon... :-P
dchobo

Post by dchobo »

Well, BH, here's something different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vnhs15stbU

Was looking at a game "Lorelai" but came across this English version of a 1986 Cantonese song "Lorelei" by Alan Tam, king of Cantopop in the 1980s.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Four musicians in a band, all playing lead and somehow making it work.
A rock opera condensed into 7 minutes.
Who else?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIaOvtMNuLo
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:05 am Bringing It All Back Home — Bob Dylan. One of my all-time favorite albums, released on this day in 1965. https://www.beachamjournal.com/journal/ ... rch-2.html
Great album, but if I had to pick my 3 favorite Bob Dylan albums, this would be number 3, behind Highway 61 Revisited and Blond on Blond. This period right after Dylan went electric is my favorite Dylan period hands down. Before the Flood live with the Band is another fabulous album (not really a Dylan or a Band album, but a combination of the two), but having seen the tour live at Boston Garden may be a factor in that choice. They sold the tickets to the Boston shows by lottery and we scored tickets to both the early and late shows. I sold the late show tickets to a friend (we had much better seats for the early show), but after we saw the early show I wished that I hadn’t done that.
Might as well listen to Before the Flood

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ooMM864_93k
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

This morning I listened to the music from the breakfast in bed scene of The Untouchables, the 1980s movie with Kevin Costner as Elliott Ness.
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

We saw a great duo live last week in a local 50 seat venue: Rob Ickes and Trey Hensley. Stellar musicianship on dobro and acoustic guitar. Www.robandtrey.com
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

eddot98 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:56 pm
Nicolas wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:05 am Bringing It All Back Home — Bob Dylan. One of my all-time favorite albums, released on this day in 1965. https://www.beachamjournal.com/journal/ ... rch-2.html
Great album, but if I had to pick my 3 favorite Bob Dylan albums, this would be number 3, behind Highway 61 Revisited and Blond on Blond. This period right after Dylan went electric is my favorite Dylan period hands down. Before the Flood live with the Band is another fabulous album (not really a Dylan or a Band album, but a combination of the two), but having seen the tour live at Boston Garden may be a factor in that choice. They sold the tickets to the Boston shows by lottery and we scored tickets to both the early and late shows. I sold the late show tickets to a friend (we had much better seats for the early show), but after we saw the early show I wished that I hadn’t done that.
Might as well listen to Before the Flood

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ooMM864_93k
Thanks for your thoughts. I like most of Bob’s albums. I haven’t listened to Before the Flood in awhile, those ‘74 concerts were great, I have some on bootlegs. I was a trader and I have hundreds of bootlegs including some I recorded myself.

I have to say that Dylan saved my life while I was in high school and BIABH was a big part of that. I played the acoustic side on many long and lonely nights. Of course HWY61 and BoB are equally great and I’ll add Blood on the Tracks and JWH to that list. Some of his early albums are also very dear to me. I like all of Bob’s eras, acoustic folk, electric, country, gospel, what genre of popular music hasn’t he done? Listen to his XM radio shows too, he’s a living encyclopedia of American music.

And just like Bob, “the country I come from is called the midwest”, and he didn’t play here much in those years so the first time I saw him was in ‘89. His touring band at that time included G.E. Smith, I remember his mushroom haircut. The night that I saw him he played mostly with his back to the audience and bathed in a dark purple light. It was uninspiring.

I saw him maybe six or seven additional times including in ‘96 when he was allowing young people up on stage with him to dance around while he played. He seemed happier and those were better shows. And I saw him with Paul Simon in ‘99. They sang two or three songs together but otherwise played separate sets with their own bands, I recorded it. I saw Joan Baez once in ‘98 and taped that too. The last show I went to was around 2000 and now I don’t go to concerts anymore.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

I'm listening to a different Bob: Seven by Bob Seger, circa 1974.

This album is out of print. Released on vinyl and briefly on CD. Not sure why it's unavailable, not even streaming from Apple Music/Amazon/Spotify. Licensing issues I guess.

I never heard this album but it has good studio versions of some tracks performed live on Bob Seger & Silver Bullet Band's well-known Live Bullet.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Satie: Six Gnossiennes — Olga Scheps — simply beautiful
rob

Post by rob »

Decided to be in a Neil Finn (with his brother and recent and older bands) mood this weekend.... Been part of my music background forever....
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:01 pm Satie: Six Gnossiennes — Olga Scheps — simply beautiful
Hauntingly beautiful. Brilliant.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Thunderclap Newman Hollywood Dream

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2 ... zOgiIH2vD3

I still have the original LP from 1969 somewhere.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:06 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:01 pm Satie: Six Gnossiennes — Olga Scheps — simply beautiful
Hauntingly beautiful. Brilliant.
I agree, when I heard this piece it stopped me in my tracks. There are six of these “Gnossienne” pieces on the album but I couldn’t find them all in one YouTube but if you search around you’ll find them, or if you have a music streaming service go there, which of course would be preferable.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

It's Saturday night so I'm listening to the Philly Blues Show on WXPN with Jonny Meister :beer

https://xpn.org/program/the-blues-show/

I really enjoyed Taj Mahal's take on "Caldonia".
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Dido, White Flag
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:41 pm It's Saturday night so I'm listening to the Philly Blues Show on WXPN with Jonny Meister :beer

Same here. He's really killing it tonight. Lots of good stuff. The playlist is here: WXPN - Playlists

Like last week, I heard another song with funny lyrics. "My Dog Is Better Than You", by Big George Harp.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:24 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:41 pm It's Saturday night so I'm listening to the Philly Blues Show on WXPN with Jonny Meister :beer

Same here. He's really killing it tonight. Lots of good stuff. The playlist is here: WXPN - Playlists

Like last week, I heard another song with funny lyrics. "My Dog Is Better Than You", by Big George Harp.
LOL. I think he played that earlier tonight because I loved the name of the song (and I have a dog ; ' ) )

He also played Damon Fowler tonight who I saw live a long time ago (guitar player/vocalist out of Florida I believe.) :sharebeer
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I couldn’t find a way to stream WXPN live from the website on my iPad but I was able to play it on Radio Garden.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:12 pm I couldn’t find a way to stream WXPN live from the website on my iPad but I was able to play it on Radio Garden.
FYI, there is also an WXPN app you can download; on my iPhone. :happy
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Neil Young Essentials on Apple Music
iceport

Post by iceport »

Traffic - Full Concert - 08/14/94 - Woodstock 94 (OFFICIAL)

Summary: This is the complete set, in excellent quality. Chris Wood is sadly missed (it takes 3 musicians to fill his shoes), but Winwood and Capaldi are both in great form and one couldn't ask for a better setlist.

Pearly Queen
Medicated Goo
Rock And Roll Stew
Mozambique
The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys
Glad / Freedom Rider
Empty Pages
Light Up O[r] Leave Me Alone
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Gimme Some Lovin'
taking a bow / applause / announcements
At seven, I was too young for the first one, but made it to this 25th anniversary event on Sunday. This set was a highlight of what I heard there. Quite an experience.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:19 pm Traffic - Full Concert - 08/14/94 - Woodstock 94 (OFFICIAL)

Summary: This is the complete set, in excellent quality. Chris Wood is sadly missed (it takes 3 musicians to fill his shoes), but Winwood and Capaldi are both in great form and one couldn't ask for a better setlist.

Pearly Queen
Medicated Goo
Rock And Roll Stew
Mozambique
The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys
Glad / Freedom Rider
Empty Pages
Light Up O[r] Leave Me Alone
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Gimme Some Lovin'
taking a bow / applause / announcements
At seven, I was too young for the first one, but made it to this 25th anniversary event on Sunday. This set was a highlight of what I heard there. Quite an experience.
Great music — thanks. You went to Woodstock ‘94?
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:57 pm Great music — thanks. You went to Woodstock ‘94?
Yeah, just a bit of it. One of my sisters and I hemmed and hawed for quite a while about going. (I was going through a break-up.) We finally decided to go on the morning of the last day, we each threw a bike in our respective cars, and we met near the festival. By the time we rode up to the gate, probably near mid-day, they weren't taking tickets anymore, so we rode right through the gate. (We didn't have tickets.) I actually don't recall much of the music — it was almost 29 years ago already! But I do recall how much I enjoyed the Traffic set, and it was the first of two times I've ever seen them. And I also recall lots of interesting antics in the crowds, some glimpses of which can be seen in the video. :shock:

The set came up on autoplay after listening to John Barleycorn, and it was a pleasant surprise to hear a live set sound so good musically and acoustically. Even nicer to know I was there!

Traffic has always been a fantastic band...
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:19 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:57 pm Great music — thanks. You went to Woodstock ‘94?
Yeah, just a bit of it. One of my sisters and I hemmed and hawed for quite a while about going. (I was going through a break-up.) We finally decided to go on the morning of the last day, we each threw a bike in our respective cars, and we met near the festival. By the time we rode up to the gate, probably near mid-day, they weren't taking tickets anymore, so we rode right through the gate. (We didn't have tickets.) I actually don't recall much of the music — it was almost 29 years ago already! But I do recall how much I enjoyed the Traffic set, and it was the first of two times I've ever seen them. And I also recall lots of interesting antics in the crowds, some glimpses of which can be seen in the video. :shock:

The set came up on autoplay after listening to John Barleycorn, and it was a pleasant surprise to hear a live set sound so good musically and acoustically. Even nicer to know I was there!

Traffic has always been a fantastic band...
What a great band and a great set! I heard there were riots at the end, hope you didn’t get caught up in that. Too bad they couldn’t organize a 50th in 2019.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
iceport

Post by iceport »

^^^^ I don't recall any real violence. I do remember being kind of concerned when a bunch of bikers on Harleys were taking turns trying to scream through a huge knee-deep mud pit. It just seemed like someone was bound to get hurt. But aside from that sort of crazy stuff, I didn't really see any bad will that went too far. By Sunday afternoon, though, most of the mud had that distinctive open dump aroma, with tossed pizza crusts and other food stuff left fermenting in the summer heat.

EDIT to add: I was just talking with my sister, and mentioned randomly coming across the Traffic set on YouTube. She remembered a whole heckuva lot more than I did! As she pointed out, we begrudgingly felt the need to tear ourselves away and head home before the Santana set had even ended so we could get to work on time the next say. :( So if there was any violence at the end, we might have missed it. She didn't remember the smell, though. Funny what gets stored in the old memory banks... Neville Bros., Green Day, Spin Doctors were a few more of the bands we caught. I should look up the lineup.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I like Lana Del Rey and was pleased to see mostly positive reviews of her new album Did You Know There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd in both the NYT and WSJ today.

I've been listening to it. It's not what I think of as Del Ray music, but it's enjoyable and I do like her voice.

It seems it's too early for a youtube link; I'm listening on Spotify.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Fest -2013.

A pretty good collection of guitarists, to say the least.

Next up:

Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary Concert

Best covers of Dylan's songs ever, IMHO.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

heartwood wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:06 pm I like Lana Del Rey and was pleased to see mostly positive reviews of her new album Did You Know There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd in both the NYT and WSJ today.

I've been listening to it. It's not what I think of as Del Ray music, but it's enjoyable and I do like her voice.

I saw that on the Apple Music Store. I am a late convert to LDR. What tracks are catching your fancy?
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

novicemoney wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:13 pm
heartwood wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:06 pm I like Lana Del Rey and was pleased to see mostly positive reviews of her new album Did You Know There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd in both the NYT and WSJ today.

I saw that on the Apple Music Store. I am a late convert to LDR. What tracks are catching your fancy?
No favs on the new album yet, I'm only once through it. On her older work (6 yrs ago) I like Love. It's on my spotify "liked songs" lists. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-NTv0CdFCk