Third party data violation

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Doodadooh

Third party data violation

Post by Doodadooh » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:44 pm

Very recently I attempted to buy a couple of gift cards online. To my surprise, after a number of attempts all the transactions were rejected. (an initial couple of failed transactions frankly were my fault - mismatching address on credit card and shipping address - but my best guess for their rejection is that somehow their third party algorithm might have detected possible money laundering. Suffice to say, nothing could be further from the truth!).In response to my request for an explanation (see below 1), the vendor essentially replied that, for my security, they do not have access to my personal information - which I find hard to believe.
Subsequently, I researched their privacy statement and scrolled down and down and down until I hit upon this (see below 2) which, if I'm reading it correctly, allows me to access and challenge this information. Two emails later and no response.
My understanding is that if there is incorrect information on a credit card report it can and should be challenged. Doesn't the same protection apply to third party data? Is it time to call a lawyer?

1 XXX uses a multi-layered screening approach to review every consumer order received. This approach involves inputs from several third parties that provide specialized screening services as well as a variety of internal procedures. We are constantly reviewing and calibrating our approach, with the goal of improving the customer ordering experience. XXX never shares any details of our screening approach with any customers who have had their orders rejected. We understand it is frustrating that the reason for your order cancellation cannot be disclosed; however, we do not have access to your personal information.
While we are comfortable with the accuracy of our process, we do realize that no screening process is perfect and, sometimes good people are impacted. Since your orders were canceled, the charges will be, if not already, removed from your credit card. There may be an authorization hold visible on your bank statement. This hold will be removed from your account within 10 business days depending on your financial institution, and you will not be charged for these orders.

2 You have the right to access, rectify (correct), or delete your personal information held by us or may ask for a restriction of processing. You may also have the right to ask for an overview or copy of your personal information or to request that certain of your personal information be exported to you or to another provider where technically feasible (data portability). On some of our Sites, you may access, rectify, or delete your personal information by making the change directly on your account page. You may also make these requests by sending an email to xxxx@xxxx.com or by sending your request by postal mail to the address below.

Please note that there are some limitations to these rights. For example, we will not be able to delete your personal information if we are required by law to keep it or if we hold it in connection with a contract with you. Similarly, access to your personal information may be refused if making the information available would reveal personal information about another person or if we are legally prevented from disclosing such information. If we cannot fulfill your request, we will inform you about why we cannot comply with your request.

Silk McCue

Re: Third party data violation

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Don’t waste another minute on this. You aren’t going to get anywhere.

Next time don’t set off alarm bells by typing in mismatched info that makes you look like a fraudster.

Cheers

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:00 pm

I work in online payments. You tripped what are called "velocity limits" trying too many times, especially after a few attempts with mismatched info. The rep you spoke to on the phone is not lying when he says he doesn't have access to more information than that. Usually these systems give reps very little in order to protect *your* privacy and your credit card.

Just use another website. You're blacklisted from this one for at least 24 hours. Getting a lawyer involved will be a waste of your money.

Topic Author
Doodadooh

Post by Doodadooh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm

<I work in online payments. You tripped what are called "velocity limits" trying too many times, especially after a few attempts with mismatched info. The rep you spoke to on the phone is not lying when he says he doesn't have access to more information than that. Usually these systems give reps very little in order to protect *your* privacy and your credit card.

Just use another website. You're blacklisted from this one for at least 24 hours. Getting a lawyer involved will be a waste of your money.>

Thank you but I'm not bothered about being blacklisted by this particular site (I rather doubt that tripping a "velocity limit" was the issue as the same website has since rejected a follow up purchase and - just for kicks and giggles - so did another comparable website). No, my concern is that a third party has incorrect information on me which could, at least theoretically, be used to harm me financially. According to their privacy policy, that data point can be accessed and challenged but I have received nothing but an acknowledgement that the request was made.
Many might consider me paranoid but I don't have the greatest feeling of trust and bonhomie towards our corporations and data gatherers.

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:29 pm

To my surprise, after a number of attempts all the transactions were rejected. (an initial couple of failed transactions frankly were my fault - mismatching address on credit card and shipping address - but my best guess for their rejection is that somehow their third party algorithm might have detected possible money laundering. Suffice to say, nothing could be further from the truth!).
OP,

Whence appeared this majestic leap from a routine website lockout to worrying that you will be connected to money laundering? My stars, goodness gracious me, etc.
Semper Augustus

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Doodadooh wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm
the same website has since rejected a follow up purchase and - just for kicks and giggles - so did another comparable website).
Does the card work at all? Is it possible that it may be "first" party data that is the problem not "third"? I would check with your CC company. My CC company would catch suspicious activity long before any store or payment processor in 99% of cases. However, I would think online gift card purchases are already an ultra suspicious purchase so I can't speak to that. I would recommend being very careful when buying anything a little suspicious in the future. Sometimes any slight mistake can lock you out.

Topic Author
Doodadooh

Post by Doodadooh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:02 pm

OP,

Whence appeared this majestic leap from a routine website lockout to worrying that you will be connected to money laundering? My stars, goodness gracious me, etc.

If I was worried about being connected to money laundering, do you really think I'd be advertising about it in a public forum?

The issue concerns a violation of data privacy. In other words; who has my data, what are they doing with it and what redress is available to me if this information is incorrect. As this company is not responding to my request (granted under their very own privacy policy) for access to the data point, I'm wondering what it would take to get them to the table.
I'm certainly not a lawyer but my understanding is that any business can reject a client/customer without explanation, except with regard to religious, racial or sexual discrimination etc However, it would seem that this company would be in violation of their own privacy policy if they refuse to disclose the data that led to that rejection.

Topic Author
Doodadooh

Post by Doodadooh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Does the card work at all? Is it possible that it may be "first" party data that is the problem not "third"? I would check with your CC company. My CC company would catch suspicious activity long before any store or payment processor in 99% of cases. However, I would think online gift card purchases are already an ultra suspicious purchase so I can't speak to that. I would recommend being very careful when buying anything a little suspicious in the future. Sometimes any slight mistake can lock you out.

No, the card is good and I'm not planning on buying any more gift cards online ;-)

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:20 pm

megabad wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:35 pm
Doodadooh wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm
the same website has since rejected a follow up purchase and - just for kicks and giggles - so did another comparable website).
+1

There's a decent chance that some of these rejections could be coming from the card issuer. Gift card purchases make some credit card companies very nervous, especially Chase.

I very much doubt any third-party data is really involved here. OP tripped too many flags and got locked out. Move on.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:04 am

There is nothing to see here. You are wasting your time even thinking about this. Move on.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:03 am

Doodadooh wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:03 pm

No, the card is good and I'm not planning on buying any more gift cards online ;-)
Doodadooh - please practice how to quote someone else and reply to them - do not cut and paste as you have been doing because when you do it is unclear what you have typed vs what was quoted when reading the thread.

Start by clicking on the double quotes near the top right top of the post you wish to quote. The system will carry that into your post. The quoted section can be pared down if it is too large. By selecting "Preview" rather than "Submit" initially to complete your post you will be able see how the post will appear.

Cheers

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:32 am

Was this a manufactured spending attempt?

Anyway, you are complaining that they won’t sell you a gift card after you tired to ship it to an address that didn’t match the billing address?

What private information do they need to reject that?

I too suspect the card may be declining the attempt. Have you checked?

Anyway, I don’t see why you assume the transactions were turned down due to personal misinformation (other than on your part with billing/shipping confusion).

And no, I don’t believe they are in violation of anything. If they have your personal information, they must disclose what information they have. Sure. But I don’t think they need to disclose their reasoning or methods for approval.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:19 am

The company likely has broad rights *not* to sell you something if they suspect you of fraud. They don't need to provide a reason and no, your lawsuit would not be successful.