Do you monitor your automatic contributions?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Marjimmy

Do you monitor your automatic contributions?

Post by Marjimmy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:07 pm

I got an email at work the other day telling me they had deposited too little of said contribution to buy "x" shares....

Which led me to think, is this the only 1 they caught? Are there more they missed? If so how much money throughout the years may have gone deducted from my paycheck and never towards share purchases.

Do you monitor your automatic contributions when buying shares.... If so how... Excel?
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Wiggums

Re: Do you monitor your automatic contributions?

Post by Wiggums » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:12 pm

Marjimmy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:07 pm
I got an email at work the other day telling me they had deposited too little of said contribution to buy "x" shares....

Which led me to think, is this the only 1 they caught? Are there more they missed? If so how much money throughout the years may has gone deducted from my paycheck and never towards share purchases.

Do you monitor your automatic contributions when buying shares.... If so how... Excel?
I get email confirmations for my weekly bank transfers as well as an emails from the broker of the fund purchase. The transactions get pulled into Quicken. I’ve never had an issue with the broker pulling from my bank in 20 years.

retired@50

Post by retired@50 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:13 pm

I used to login to my 401k interface on a regular basis to review the transaction history. In the past, when I was working, I had an issue with the funds getting invested several days after payday, instead of promptly being invested. I never needed to download transactions to Excel, but I suppose this might be possible, depending on your user interface.

Regards,

dru808

Post by dru808 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 pm

Ill log in regularly for the first few months after opening an account, after that I rely on the daily deposit & withdraw summary email that shows up letting me know the money was pulled from my bank account.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:29 pm

I look at my pay stub and vendor's website about 1 week after payday. 401k is always slow to purchase/show. 457 is immediate.

doss

Post by doss » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 pm

I look ever pay period to ensure everything is moving along correctly. In about three years I have found about 2-3 mistakes by my employer or the employer’s broker. Basically missing contributions that were not loaded by their software. I bet that there are other employees that have no idea .....