How do I get an ETF from ProShares into my IRA?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
PackersFan12

How do I get an ETF from ProShares into my IRA?

Post by PackersFan12 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:42 pm

I'm interested in getting SPXE (ProShare S&P 500 Ex-Energy ETF) into my IRA. I know we don't discuss politics on this board, but for my own reasons, I don't want to be invested in the energy sector going forward. I'm interested in getting this ETF, but I am not quite sure how I go about it.

I've never bought anything outside of Vanguard, so I'm not sure how to go about doing this. It appears I cannot buy this ETF through Vanguard.

AlohaJoe

Re: How do I get an ETF from ProShares into my IRA?

Post by AlohaJoe » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:46 pm

PackersFan12 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:42 pm
I've never bought anything outside of Vanguard, so I'm not sure how to go about doing this. It appears I cannot buy this ETF through Vanguard.
Open an IRA somewhere else that does allow you to buy it. I think most brokers have help pages, tutorials, videos, and so on. There are also Youtube videos and blogs. We are in a golden age of learning how to do things for ourselves.

retired@50

Post by retired@50 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:09 pm

PackersFan12 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:42 pm
I'm interested in getting SPXE (ProShare S&P 500 Ex-Energy ETF) into my IRA. I know we don't discuss politics on this board, but for my own reasons, I don't want to be invested in the energy sector going forward. I'm interested in getting this ETF, but I am not quite sure how I go about it.

Is there any chance your IRA isn't a brokerage account? Could it be that you're restricted to mutual funds only?

One telltale sign is that if your account has the "Upgrade" link just beneath your account title. If so, you may need to upgrade to the brokerage platform to complete the transaction. Having a brokerage account will allow you to hold both mutual funds and stocks/ETFs.

Regards,

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:11 pm

If Vanguard disallows this fund then I would check Fidelity next.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:38 pm

PackersFan12 wrote:It appears I cannot buy this ETF through Vanguard.
I can; I just checked. Are you on the mutual fund side of Vanguard or the brokerage side? You need to be on the brokerage side to buy anything other than Vanguard mutual funds.

I also checked Fidelity, E*Trade and TD Ameritrade. They all offer SPXE.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm

I can buy SPXE in my Vanguard IRA (I just tried)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius