Reconstructing total international fund (i.e. VXUS) with Fidelity institutional funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Guile

Reconstructing total international fund (i.e. VXUS) with Fidelity institutional funds

Post by Guile » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:26 pm

I have a very limited selection of funds I can use through my employer. Right now I am using Fidelity International Index FSPSX (ER 0.035) and Fidelity Emerging Markets FPADX (ER 0.035). I have 30% in FSPSX and 5% in FPADX. (10% in bonds, 55% in VITPX [ER 0.02] for domestic exposure).

Any recommendations in improving this asset allocation? It seems FSPSX excludes emerging markets and Canada I believe. Some other threads had some more info but I couldn't find an answer for reproducing VTI's total international.
Last edited by Guile on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duckie

Re: Reconstructing total international fund (i.e. VTI) with Fidelity institutional funds

Post by Duckie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:18 pm

Guile wrote:Any recommendations in improving this asset allocation?
The 55/35/10 AA is a little low on bonds but fine.
I couldn't find an answer for reproducing VTI's total international.
VTI is total US stocks not total international. VXUS or IXUS would be the ETFs to use. Your 35/5 ratio of FSPSX/FPADX is close. 28/7 would be closer but either way you're missing the 5% Canada.

Do you have an IRA you could use for total international?

Topic Author
Guile

Re: Reconstructing total international fund (i.e. VXUS) with Fidelity institutional funds

Post by Guile » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:53 pm

I'm sorry I meant VXUS. Darn. Maybe someone could edit the topic title?

I am pretty young so I'm ok with 10% bonds.

This is for my IRA. In my taxable accounts I use Schwab's versions. I found a nice breakdown for the SCHF, SCHC, and SCHE to create a VXUS. I use 67% SCHF, 21% SCHE, and 12% SCHC.

The only other options I have for funds that I'd even consider (so not actively managed): VIIIX, FSMAX. Everything else has crazy high ER. So I'm pretty much left with FSPSX/FPADX.

Duckie

Re: Reconstructing total international fund (i.e. VXUS) with Fidelity institutional funds

Post by Duckie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:10 pm

Guile wrote:Maybe someone could edit the topic title?
You can edit your own title. On your first post you should see a little pencil symbol on the upper right. When you click on it you will see your post in draft form. At the top is a subject box that can be altered. Just change VTI to VXUS. That will change all future post titles.

(I altered the title on this post.)

Topic Author
Guile

Re: Reconstructing total international fund (i.e. VTI) with Fidelity institutional funds

Post by Guile » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Duckie wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:18 pm
Guile wrote:Any recommendations in improving this asset allocation?
The 55/35/10 AA is a little low on bonds but fine.
I couldn't find an answer for reproducing VTI's total international.
VTI is total US stocks not total international. VXUS or IXUS would be the ETFs to use. Your 35/5 ratio of FSPSX/FPADX is close. 28/7 would be closer but either way you're missing the 5% Canada.

Do you have an IRA you could use for total international?
Just wanted to double check, since I can't add Canada with any of my remaining options then moving to 28/7 for total % of asset allocation would better represent VXUS? The other funds I have access to are just S&P 500 (VIIIX) and mid-cap blend (FSMAX).

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:00 pm

:?:
Guile wrote:Just wanted to double check, since I can't add Canada with any of my remaining options then moving to 28/7 for total % of asset allocation would better represent VXUS?
Yes, although 30/5 is fine.
The other funds I have access to are just S&P 500 (VIIIX) and mid-cap blend (FSMAX).
If you are using VITPX in your employer plan you don't need to add VIIIX or FSMAX.

Earlier you wrote:
This is for my IRA.
Does that mean your employer plan is a SEP IRA or SIMPLE IRA?
In my taxable accounts I use Schwab's versions. I found a nice breakdown for the SCHF, SCHC, and SCHE to create a VXUS. I use 67% SCHF, 21% SCHE, and 12% SCHC.
If this is a taxable account held at Schwab why not use just VXUS or IXUS? Those ETFs have no transaction fees at Schwab.