Ski gear for toddler

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sleepy123

Ski gear for toddler

Post by sleepy123 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:23 pm

We live in the SF Bay area but are traveling to Colorado for a ski vacation with extended family this winter. We have 2 kids - 2 and 5 years old, and we don't ski or go to cold climate regularly, so it feels wasteful to buy a bunch of cold weather clothing (hats, gloves, thermals, ski pants, thick jacket), especially when the kids outgrow them so quickly. Frankly, I don't even know if the kids will survive more than a day on the slopes since they are not used to the cold and have timid personality.

Do folks here have suggestions on how best to acquire clothing needed for a ski trip within reasonable budget? Perhaps we'll take a trip to local Goodwill to scout out things, but I am wondering if there is any other suggestions.

bloom2708

Re: Ski gear for toddler

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Will the 5 year old try the bunny hill?

I'm not sure if the 2 year old could try even the bunny hill. Some resorts might have a daycare/ski school type of program.

Is there a pool and a hot tub to hang by? :wink:

eBay would be the place I would look for any gear. We live in the snow belt, so kids would have a winter coat, snow pants, boots and hats/mittens. If the kids don't have any of those, it might not be worth investing in all that stuff. Checking the thrift stores is a good idea. You never know what you will find.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Don't these places rent all clothing? Helmets? Gear?

Otherwise borrow from friends and family.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:36 pm

I would contact everyone you know with kids of the same age or older and see if you can borrow what you need (snow/ski pants, jacket and mittens, and goggles) for the 5-year old. The place where you rent your skis will rent you a helmet.

rage_phish

Post by rage_phish » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:39 pm

Double post
Last edited by rage_phish on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rage_phish

Post by rage_phish » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:40 pm

rage_phish wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:39 pm
Borrow - I live in the Bay Area. Ski gear for kids is pretty common here with so many people doing weekend trips to Tahoe
Rent
Facebook market place

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Borrow what you can for the 5 year old.

The 2 year old is too little to get on skis at this point. Find them something warm to wear and hopefully you can get hold of a sled to pull them around in.

If you actually want the 5 year old to learn how to ski, spring for a lesson.

If you can't borrow what you need, you can probably find most of it at a used children's clothing store. Sell it back when you are done with it.

macaroon

Post by macaroon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm

I saw this company on Shark Tank the other night. Sounds like a good way to rent ski gear for both adults and children, toddlers included.

https://www.kitlender.com/about/

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Join your local Buy Nothing SF Facebook group and do a polite "ask" for snow gear to borrow. Wouldn't hurt for you to first find nice items of your own to offer to the group first that you no longer need.

https://buynothingproject.org/about/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/buynothingsf/

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:20 pm

onourway wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:50 pm

The 2 year old is too little to get on skis at this point. Find them something warm to wear and hopefully you can get hold of a sled to pull them around in.

If you can't borrow what you need, you can probably find most of it at a used children's clothing store. Sell it back when you are done with it.
My 10 year old and my 4 year old did their first runs at 1. Pretty cute pictures of them skiing around with a binky in.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:20 pm
My 10 year old and my 4 year old did their first runs at 1. Pretty cute pictures of them skiing around with a binky in.
Walking at 7 mos, skiing at 12 months. Advanced kids. Perhaps future doctors. :wink:

Most 12 month old kids are just walking or not yet walking.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:48 pm

You'll be able to rent the skis and helmet at the site. The five-year-old will be old enough for ski school, and I'd recommend that, especially if you're not a confident skier and/or your kid learns better from others. The two-year-old is too young for ski school but might like to ski. My kid loved skiing last year at 2 (read: mom holds you as you glide down the bunny hill) and they do make very tiny skis for littles -- boots start around a size 7 toddler shoe.

I'd try to borrow warm gear or pick it up secondhand. Put out an ask on Facebook and I bet some friends would volunteer.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:52 pm

I don't know anything about this place, but it looks like they have toddler-sized rental clothing.

https://www.mountainthreads.com/faq

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:56 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 pm
Walking at 7 mos, skiing at 12 months. Advanced kids. Perhaps future doctors. :wink:

Most 12 month old kids are just walking or not yet walking.
I didn't say 12 months. :) And no, none of them walked at 7 months. I think it was 9, 12, 10, 11 as I recall. Maybe there was a 13 in there even. But two skied before they turned 2, so they were still 1.

They have a very dedicated mother who used to teach ski school for a living.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

mountaingoatcos

Post by mountaingoatcos » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:35 am

I live in Colorado, and I ( or DW) buy my 5 year olds winter stuff at the Arc. It is like Goodwill but cheaper ( half price Saturdays). A thrift store in Denver Colorado springs would likely have a lot of ski stuff and one of the bigger mountain towns would probably have one as well.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:33 am

onourway wrote:

+1

Both of our grand-kids were in packs as their parents skied, one at 5 months old and the other at 9 months old. At 20 months, grandson was on his own skies. I expect granddaughter will also do so sometime this winter and she's just 14 months. They start out tethered. To them, being outside at zero F with wind and snow is normal.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:19 am

onourway wrote:

Ours started at a late age 2. I just don’t think these folks are committed enough to make it worth the while for a short ski vacation. It’s a lot of work at that age, and honestly, I don’t feel like it was really worth it until at least age 4, in retrospect.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:03 am

Came here for pics of a cute kid in ski clothes, leaving disappointed.

bad1bill

Post by bad1bill » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:31 am

Most importantly, you want them to come away with a love for snow sports.

Be prepared to “waste” a ski day if you take them out yourself. Both my now-grown kids are expert snowboarders, but at that age a day meant, at best, a few runs. I found that about age 7 was the prime time for getting them involved/immersed (we live on the Front Range). From your description of your kids, put the toddler in day care and the 5YO in ski school. At the end of your day, play with them in the snow.

Ask your extended family for hand-me-downs and look at second-hand stores for clothing.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:48 am

I taught our oldest to ski at 4, the youngest to ski at 3. 2 is probably too young for a family that doesn't ski, I had been skiing since I was 13.

We started out doing "baby swap". My wife sewed a loop on our jackets with velcro so that a lift ticket could be hung on it and show outside the jacket, but the loop could be undone. One of us would ski 1/2 the day, meet up and then do a baby and ticket swap. This was in the day's before cellphones, so we'd try and stay in sight of the slopes. In the days of tiny babies, I'd hang a towel in the window when she needed to come in for a feeding...

Our first trip with the 3 year old to ski put him in the ski school, where they skied with the Magic Carpet. The first day we ended up getting paged at a major Colorado resort. He would not stop crying. I took him back to the room and got him calmed down, and discovered that they refused to give him another pudding. Later that day I went back and ripped them a new one, said he could have all the pudding he wanted. He did better on day two, but wanted us to take him "UP". So I did, and he never went back to ski school, skiing all the way from top to bottom without major upset, on a harness and rope.

Tip - pack food, drinks, etc. and bring them with you. The older one would have hungry meltdowns in the middle of the mountain, and wasn't happy until he ate a snack right there on the slope.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:04 am

onourway wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:19 am
onourway wrote:

Ours started at a late age 2. I just don’t think these folks are committed enough to make it worth the while for a short ski vacation. It’s a lot of work at that age, and honestly, I don’t feel like it was really worth it until at least age 4, in retrospect.
I agree. I agreed then too. But like I said, they have a VERY dedicated mother.

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:31 pm

sleepy123 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:23 pm
We live in the SF Bay area but are traveling to Colorado for a ski vacation with extended family this winter. We have 2 kids - 2 and 5 years old, and we don't ski or go to cold climate regularly, so it feels wasteful to buy a bunch of cold weather clothing (hats, gloves, thermals, ski pants, thick jacket), especially when the kids outgrow them so quickly. Frankly, I don't even know if the kids will survive more than a day on the slopes since they are not used to the cold and have timid personality.

Do folks here have suggestions on how best to acquire clothing needed for a ski trip within reasonable budget? Perhaps we'll take a trip to local Goodwill to scout out things, but I am wondering if there is any other suggestions.
As others have said, try goodwill, play it again sports, and potentially borrow old clothes (however, most people get rid of this stuff quickly).

You can usually find cheap toddler snow gear at Walmart (gasp) or Target (no gasp for some reason). Just do this when you fly into Colorado. Don't go to ski shops or REI (gasp at the suggestion to not shop REI).

2 yr old: Unless you going to hold them between your legs when skiing, don't worry about skiing (and since you don't ski forget this). Find a cheap sled/disk and some place to take them to play. Some ski areas have tubing runs which is good. Build snowman, etc.

5 yr old: If interested, put into ski school. Will be a tiny run/lift that you can take pictures. Kid will have fun with other young kids. If doesn't want that option, see advice on 2 yr old.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:58 pm

I got 4 sets of tiny to teenager sized skis and boots on Craigslist two years ago for $80 (total). Not great stuff but they get down the mountain just fine. Start there. You can resell it when finished.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:23 pm

I would look for the cheapest used clothing option such as Craigslist, and give yourself some time to find something. I agree that you could spend a ton and not get much use out of it.

I’ve skied all my life since six and started my daughter at 2.5-3 years old and it was fun but she was too young. Her legs were not strong enough to even snow plow on her own and the season was spent with her skiing between my ski’s and my legs doing all the work (as well as my back). Catching even the most basic edge is required for stopping, short of gravity, and her legs were just not strong enough before 5 or 6 to pull that off.

5 or 6 is the age to get them into basic ski school as mentioned above. Not sure how the doc got his kids to ski at 1 but my hats off to his wife.

We got all the clothes and gear used, and sold it the following year to buy new used clothes and gear. Look at local ski clubs and shops. They usually have a weekend where they do swaps and sales of all the stuff from the previous year from parents in the same situation. SF should have quite a few with Tahoe just up the road.

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:50 pm

The kids will need the hats and gloves and jackets and shoes whether they're skiing or not. And you and they will be miserable if they're cold. I would call it a sunk cost of a cold weather vacation. Sierra trading post, REI outlet, Backcountry, Duluth trading post are my go-to sites. Wrap them up as presents. Happy holidays kiddos.

hfj

Post by hfj » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:04 pm

In the Bay Area, I'm pretty sure there are places where you can rent ski clothing for kids. I'm thinking in particular of Ski Renter in Mt. View, and maybe the Sports Basements. That would make more sense if you were headed to Tahoe, but maybe there's something similar at your destination.

Topic Author
sleepy123

Post by sleepy123 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys are very resourceful. I had forgotten about FB Marketplace, that's a good place to start and I'll look there more closely. We still have a few months to get everything sourced so we have time on our side.

Yeah, I hope to get the 5 year old into a class for a day and see how she does. If all fails, they can build snowman and do some sledding.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 pm

sleepy123 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Do you have a neighborhood Facebook page or nextdoor? We were planning to go to Iceland and my sis in law sent a post out looking for cold weather items for an 18 month old and 4 year old. People were more than happy to just give her the stuff for free. I think she titled the post ISO (in search of) and that’s how the donations began. She did pickup one night after work and the kids had everything they needed.

Socrates

Borrow

Post by Socrates » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Many 2 year olds are new to walking ......no way I would have them ski

I would borrow warm clothes from friends and have them sled or play in snow
key clothes are pants to keep them dry in snow

hats and gloves you can buy cheap at Target or Old Navy
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:02 pm

Another good avenue we have found is visiting second hand stores in ski/outdoor towns. Googles for under $10. It is not a sure thing they will have your needed size, but you will possibly find some gems, and get out cheap.

kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 am

Ask friends on FB or the family you are going to visit if their friends have stuff you might borrow or yes check thrift stores. I just picked up a pair of adult snowbibs this week for $5

alfaspider

Re: Borrow

Post by alfaspider » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:47 am

Socrates wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 pm

I've seen some pretty impressive 2 year olds on the slopes. Though there's a big difference between barely two and almost 3. Most ski schools will take kids as soon as they are potty trained, which may or may not be the case at 2. That said, many ski areas have day care for little ones if you don't think they will take to skiing.

Also query how good of a skier the OP is. As a pretty good skier, I could easily pick up my 35lb 3 year old and ski down with him if he decided he didn't want to ski any more. I can also assist with teaching, and catch up to him without issue if he gets out of control. But a more novice skier wouldn't have that option, and probably should only have a kid ski with an instructor (for safety reasons if nothing else).

Either way, you probably want to get them some winter clothes- they will need it for walking around if nothing else. Thrift stores are a decent option. A one-piece suit with a good hood is probably easiest if you can find it- warmer and no fiddling with different parts.

stoptothink

Re: Borrow

Post by stoptothink » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:14 am

alfaspider wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:47 am
Socrates wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 pm

As a pretty good skier, I could easily pick up my 35lb 3 year old and ski down with him if he decided he didn't want to ski any more. I can also assist with teaching, and catch up to him without issue if he gets out of control. But a more novice skier wouldn't have that option, and probably should only have a kid ski with an instructor (for safety reasons if nothing else).
This is exactly what one of my good friends does. They have 5, ranging from 9 to an infant, he will literally carry the infant while he "tows" the two younger boys (he has a harness around his waist with 2 handles), the older boy goes down himself, and his wife will ski with their 4yr old daughter. He's a nut, and it is insane to see, but as far as I know nobody has ever gotten hurt. As a non-skiier, I'd never let my kids go with him, but it clearly is a lot of fun.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:27 am

We started our kids on skis when they were 1--all had early-in-the-year birthdays, though, so were closer to 2. We didn't take them on chairlifts that young--either we'd bring them up a few feet on the bunny hill, or maybe a T-bar--one local mountain had a "magic carpet", which is essentially a treadmill-type thing that would take them ~50 feet up a very small incline.

Classes vary, but most are some variation of "play and ski"--the kids are there for a few hours, a lesson is included, but kids can choose the lesson, or just playing outside in the snow.

As to clothes, I would either hit a Goodwill (or similar) wherever you're going, or see if there's a rental place. Renting skis/boots/bindings/helmets is standard, even at tiny ski resorts.

My DH used to do ski patrol for the free skiing. He was a volunteer, but included in his benefits was free lesson, rentals and lift tickets for the entire family. As a result, our kids were great skiers at a very young age. It's a good sport to learn while you're young!

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm

REI sells used gear online: https://www.rei.com/used It's really convenient as you can see the original product details & reviews, as well as the condition of the items.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:19 pm

It won't be as fun an experience if they are not warm and dry. Wicking layers are the way to go.
Did not see which resort you are going to but if driving there you can look for cheaper rental gear along I-70. Also check the resorts website for packages and liftopia.com
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Afty

Post by Afty » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Sports Basement rents ski outerwear for kids: https://rentals.sportsbasement.com/product/152

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:39 pm

I taught kids ski school for 5 years. I taught adult ski school for several more years. At Heavenly we admitted kids at age 2 and older if fully potty trained. They also had to walk well and follow instructions. We provided skis and boots and helmets and lift tickets and ski coaches for the whole day. Parents had to provide warm clothes and coats and gloves. These lessons were expensive and reservations were required.

Fitting the kids with skis and boots and getting kids ready to ski takes some time. Then the kids are sorted into groups based on age and ability to ski (or not). All this takes 2+ hours each morning. Then it takes about 2-4 hours to teach the 2-3 year old kids to walk and slide on skis. If they are mature and walking well they are safe to ride the carpet ( outdoor conveyor belt) with other kids. Then these small kids could slide down the kid bunny hill on skis and play after some instruction. Most cannot turn or control their skis much but they can slide. So they can walk and slide up and down the bunny hill unassisted. Most have a ball doing this for the afternoon after the morning lessons. At Heavenly each coach had 4-8 kids to teach and watch all day. We gave them lunch and a afternoon snack. Kids who got tired or cold could go inside in a special area. After 2-3 days of this sliding and walking some small kids learn to turn well enough to go UP the hill.

At age 5 or so kids can learn to slide on skis and wedge turn and stop OK in about 1-2 hours. They have enough motor skills to edge skis and move their legs independently and turn and stop. So they only need about 2-3 hours of practice at turning and stopping on the bunny hill to be safe on beginner ski hills. Then it takes about 1-2 more hours to teach them to ride the beginner ski chair lift. So most active 5-6 year old kids can learn to ski beginner ski hills with 1-2 days of lessons.

I taught my kids to ski at 3. They were good skiers by 6 and expert skiers by 8. They still ski and snow board today (they do both) and have taught their kids to ski. But my son carries his poles and never touches them down as he learned to ski as a kid without poles. He also likes to straight line down hills like he learned. So there are trade offs.

As far as clothes see comments above. Good Luck and have fun.....