Cable Cord Cutting more complicated than expected

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jacksonm

Cable Cord Cutting more complicated than expected

Post by jacksonm » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:43 pm

Trying to cut the cord and I only want a few channels that we're used to watching (including local channels for sports).

There seemed to be only two alternatives for what we want, Youtube TV and Hulu Live.

Had Amazon Fire Stick on one TV, an older version of Roku on another.....

1.) No offical Youtube TV was available for the FIre Stick. Downloaded from a third party but there was something wrong with the sound (choppy). So Youtube TV is a no-go, at least with this version of Fire Stick.

2.) Neither Youtube TV nor Hulu Live were available on the older version of Roku I was using. So went to Walmart and bought a newer version Express Roku for $29.95 which was supposed to be supported.

3. Final solution - Official version of Hulu LIve was available on Fire Stick and works fine. I like it a lot. Hulu Live was available on newer Roku but the app crashes whenever you change live channels. Cant find anything on the internet about the problem. I'm hoping they will eventually fix this but for now I have to do a system restart whenever I want to change channels. Fortunately, it reboots a lot faster than the old one. It's a bedroom TV which doesn't get watched that often so I'm okay with this for now.

Anybody else have similar problems?

Update: I took the Roku Express back to Walmart and ordered another Firestick on Amazon since that is the one thing that has worked so far (even though I really liked the Roku interface). Estimated arrival date is Dec. 19 (two weeks from today) so I'll have to let you know later if it worked. Can't see why it wouldn't but I guess you never know. The new Firestick could be totally different from the old one since I bought it over 5 years ago.
Last edited by jacksonm on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

02nz

Re: Cable Cord Cutting more complicated than expected

Post by 02nz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Check to see if Sling offers the local channels you need (varies by area). If so that's probably the cheapest option. Works well for me.

As far as hardware - the cheapest stuff is, well, cheap. The higher-priced versions (Roku Streaming Stick + and Fire TV Stick 4K - both $50 and 4K capable) have better hardware that will be more responsive even if you have no need or capability for 4K. And make sure you have a stable internet connection - I givemy wireless separate SSDs for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, and make sure to connect my Roku Streaming Stick + to the more reliable 5 GHz band.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:50 pm

The first version of the Fire TV Box and Stick did not support You Tube TV (it just released ~2 months ago for Fire TV).

Same with the old versions of Roku. Many apps will not update due to limitations of the hardware. Same for older Smart TVs.

Your experience would be much better with a newer/faster Fire TV Box or the latest Fire TV Cube (just released). I prefer YouTube TV to Hulu Live.

The first Fire Sticks were painfully slow. Just slower processor and less RAM.

Instead of paying those monthly box fees, every 2-3 years you may have to update your Fire TV device. I still think you will come out way ahead.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:52 pm

Newer and/or more powerful versions of either device will work better. The Roku Ultra was on sale for $50 during BF but I don't see it anymore. Ditto for the Fire devices.

You can buy an Ultra at Wal-Mart and try it out. Should be a much smoother experience. I've used Youtube TV before and had no issues with a 2018 Ultra.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:24 pm

Part of the "joy" with cutting the cord is to release yourself from watching TV. This makes things very simple.

We went with a Firestick and then replaced with 4k Firestick ($24.99 over the summer). Does what we need it to, in addition to a cheap $10 thin antenna.

We can also cast from our Google phones to the TV with the Firestick. Easier than trying to search for things with that remote!

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Another caveat with cord cutting is none of the streaming services currently offer PBS. I'm using Firesticks with YouTube Tv and it is working well.

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:08 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 pm
Another caveat with cord cutting is none of the streaming services currently offer PBS. I'm using Firesticks with YouTube Tv and it is working well.
Supposedly PBS will be coming to YouTube TV very soon.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/youtube ... ore-weeks/

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:08 pm

The key to a successful cable cord cutting is a shelf of good books to read in the evenings.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 pm

jpsfranks wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:08 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Supposedly PBS will be coming to YouTube TV very soon.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/youtube ... ore-weeks/
If you like PBS, you might find that the Acorn app would help fill that gap for you. It's $5/month. If you have a smart TV, just download the app. It features British, Welsh and Australian TV shows, as well as some Swedish, Norwegian, and French shows with subtitles. You can turn subtitles on, as well, in the British/Welsh/Australian shows, if the accents are difficult to understand. I'm completely hooked on it!

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:18 pm

I cut the cord from 2013 to 2019. I did for all the reasons people give now = Expensive, bunch of channels I don't watch, and don't have the channels I do watch. Six years later, that is not the case for me.

I was using Sling to get ESPN, Food TV, TLC, and I liked a lot of their other channels ($19.99). However, they didn't have Discovery which I wanted, so I got Philo which had it ($17.00) Total $37 + Roku costs. Then Sling upped their price to $25, now I was like $42. Checked direct TV and it was $49 and I got ALL the channels I wanted, plus a lot more. I went back to Direct TV.

Cable is not as it was back in 2013. They have made some changes to their costs and plans. So, I reattached the cord.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:20 pm

anonsdca wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:18 pm
I cut the cord from 2013 to 2019. I did for all the reasons people give now = Expensive, bunch of channels I don't watch, and don't have the channels I do watch. Six years later, that is not the case for me.

I was using Sling to get ESPN, Food TV, TLC, and I liked a lot of their other channels ($19.99). However, they didn't have Discovery which I wanted, so I got Philo which had it ($17.00) Total $37 + Roku costs. Then Sling upped their price to $25, now I was like $42. Checked direct TV and it was $49 and I got ALL the channels I wanted, plus a lot more. I went back to Direct TV.

Cable is not as it was back in 2013. They have made some changes to their costs and plans. So, I reattached the cord.
$49 includes the box fees and taxes and fees? Is that for 1 year? They hooked you back in. It won't last.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:26 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:20 pm
anonsdca wrote:

$49 includes the box fees and taxes and fees? Is that for 1 year? They hooked you back in. It won't last.
That's what I was thinking. The "special" offers here don't include franchise fees, sport fees, dvr fees, cable box fee, HD fees, etc.

I knew steaming was all somewhat of a farce in terms of saving big bucks at least in the long term (articles about the poor cable companies going out of business-lol). I would think "this is great, I have the Roku/Firestick and can switch next month if a better/cheaper service comes along". However, the setup is somewhat like if you buy brand X car and think you are smart not going to X's dealers but no one makes parts for your car except X. The cable companies own so much content they will get their money one way or another. Then, of course, you cannot stream through thin air (well, I guess on a mobile phone) and need internet also.

9liner

Post by 9liner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:33 pm

You’re getting precisely what you’re paying for when you buy budget streaming devices. Absolutely ZERO issues with our Apple TV boxes. They are understandably more expensive but they work and will be future-proof for the foreseeable future. FWIW, I’ve tried them all. If I had to rank my experiences they would be: 1. Apple TV 2. ROKU 3. Amazon Firestick.

Hated Hulu Live TV due to interface and travel restrictions. Switched to YouTube TV and haven’t looked back.

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:35 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:26 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:20 pm
anonsdca wrote:

That's what I was thinking. The "special" offers here don't include franchise fees, sport fees, dvr fees, cable box fee, HD fees, etc.

I knew steaming was all somewhat of a farce in terms of saving big bucks at least in the long term (articles about the poor cable companies going out of business-lol). I would think "this is great, I have the Roku/Firestick and can switch next month if a better/cheaper service comes along". However, the setup is somewhat like if you buy brand X car and think you are smart not going to X's dealers but no one makes parts for your car except X. The cable companies own so much content they will get their money one way or another. Then, of course, you cannot stream through thin air (well, I guess on a mobile phone) and need internet also.
Nope, just checked my bill, still the same. I don't think I would have gone for something that would have increased after time, and if it does, I will cancel, or move. I have no problems doing that. However, like you said, I have experience with ALL/most of the streamers. I have had Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Philo, Prime, I have tired trials of Epic, and other pay channels. Even if my bill would go up $10, I would keep direct TV because it is just not worth it to me to keep tabs on all the streaming stuff going on. Sorry, that is getting about as ridiculous as cable was back in the early 2010s.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:46 pm

9liner wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:33 pm
You’re getting precisely what you’re paying for when you buy budget streaming devices. Absolutely ZERO issues with our Apple TV boxes. They are understandably more expensive but they work and will be future-proof for the foreseeable future. FWIW, I’ve tried them all. If I had to rank my experiences they would be: 1. Apple TV 2. ROKU 3. Amazon Firestick.

Hated Hulu Live TV due to interface and travel restrictions. Switched to YouTube TV and haven’t looked back.
The apps (like Hulu and YouTube TV and Netflix) are written by the companies themselves and not Apple. I have no issues with YouTube TV and my Firesticks. If people are having issues it could be a connection issue and not a device issue. The newer models of the Firestick/Roku have gotten much better. The Apple TV has the least amount of apps, is not built into any tvs and has the least amount of users compared to Fire/Roku. But to each his own.

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Cutting cable has been a mostly pain free experience for us. We use Firesticks, Prime, and a cheap antenna hanging on an inside wall that is connected to a Recast. There is plenty of stuff to watch. We had the Comcast Triple Play (Pay :( ) with most of the addons. Made the switch to Fios for internet and we have not looked back. And we are saving $200/month.

ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:14 pm

have you tried Ps vue? For local channels u can get an antenna. Most places have PBS local stations right? Espn is where u will have to pay up for more though.

$49 is a good price but it sounds like it is a 2 year contract. And will go up after 2 years.

My setup is Appletv, firetv, Antenna for local channels—-at least 3 years old i think.
Monthly- netflix $20
yearly - prime $100 but ive had prime about 10 years??? so i dont count it as part of my tv budget

On demand
Hbo-now - $15/mnth - remove after season of what i watch is over (succession, watchmen)
Showtime - $11/month - remove after season of what i watch is over (ray donavan)
PSVue Sports edition - $54 - remove after nba season (8 months?”

A lot cheaper than the $180 i was paying for cable, with movie channels, HD fees, tv boxes fees, modem fees, dvr option and cancellation fees. Now i can cancel anything at any time easily online with calling to talk to a closing account agent and getting a hard sales job!

I will say that my goal is flexibility to come and go as i please easily and to watch whatever i want when i want. Id probably be okay with the cable 180/month bill if there were less restrictions, better customer service, stable prices that were simple to ynderstand. But no, your bill is 10 pages with a base price of 19.99 and enough line item fees to add up to 184.36 and goes up a few dollars every month there after with no clear explanation as to why. Im getting upset just thinking about it! been cord free since 2014 and love it!
ScoobyDoo!

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:17 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:14 pm
have you tried Ps vue?
PS Vue is cancelled. Will be shut down in early 2020. We used it for 3.5+ years, but it is dead.

ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:17 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:14 pm
have you tried Ps vue?
PS Vue is cancelled. Will be shut down in early 2020. We used it for 3.5+ years, but it is dead.
:annoyed !!!!! Wow! i would’ve been upset had you not mentioned this...I guess Sling Tv then for my nba obsession. its cheaper but the UI and service sucks! and last i looked they didn't have record and/or rewind live tv
ScoobyDoo!

anhonymous

Post by anhonymous » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:11 pm

I just cut the cord - 1 month back. Interestingly Comcast called me and gave me a 'Comcast streaming" + internet for the same price as internet only for 1 year. Call them and ask what promotions they may have. The rep told me about being on some legacy list and therefore promos not reaching me.. I had tuned out of his sell speak though. agreed cable pricing models have improved vastly..

xb7

Post by xb7 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:20 pm

OTA (over-the-air) antenna and a DVR works for me for getting local channels, including PBS. No charge, just some initial setup. It's possible to get a DVR that has no monthly fees either, in which case your only cost is the up-front cost of whatever hardware (antenna, DVR, cabling, etc).

We use Amazon Prime for a variety of things, which adds significantly to what we can watch. And more recently I've begun a campaign of sort of rotating through different "walled garden" paid streaming services, one-at-a-time. I like this idea a lot; at any given time I'm paying somewhere between $5 and $15 more per month for, say, HBO, or Starz, or CBS All Access or Britbox or ... whatever. Make a list of movies and TV shows available via that service that we really want to watch and work through those. When the list gets mostly checked off then cancel and move on to the next one. Maybe none of them during the summer months.

This seems to me to be a fairly inexpensive way to watch most of what's out there, so long as I don't need to be watching "the latest episode" of anything in particular.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:35 pm

We cut the cord over a year ago and it was very easy. We also deactivated the home telephone.

A simpel Apple TV and a couple of Amazon fire sticks.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:43 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
We watch PBS Passport on our Roku Premium+ all the time, including this week.

Marylander1

rj342

Post by rj342 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 pm

IMO anyone complaining about Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Apple TV is making a mistake. Proper Amazon counterpart to Apple TV is either Fire TV (small flat box, not Stick) or the Fire TV Cube (w Alexa Echo type microphones built in plus home theater controls).
Those two have more memory and CPU horsepower.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 pm

rj342 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 pm
IMO anyone complaining about Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Apple TV is making a mistake. Proper Amazon counterpart to Apple TV is either Fire TV (small flat box, not Stick) or the Fire TV Cube (w Alexa Echo type microphones built in plus home theater controls).
Those two have more memory and CPU horsepower.
I agree. Put a stick on a secondary TV. Put the 2nd gen Fire TV Cube on your primary TVs. It is a powerhouse. Very fast.

Alexa, turn on the TV. Alexe, turn on the Soundbar. It has power and volume controls on the remote. YouTube TV and others are lightning fast. We also have the lights on Alexa, the Ring Doorbell. We have 2nd gen Fire TV boxes on the 2 smaller TVs and Cubes on the 2 main TVs. Pretty good setup.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 pm

Marylander1 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:43 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
We watch PBS Passport on our Roku Premium+ all the time, including this week.

Marylander1
And if you don’t want to pay for Passport subscription, you can get most of the current PBS shows for the most recent month without a subscription

Bogle7

is complicated

Post by Bogle7 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:01 pm

It is more complicated.
But, in our case, we are saving $70+ per month vs Comcrap cable.
We have 3 Apple TVs (cost amortized over 3 years), Hulu Live, HBO, Netflix, Amazon, PBS, Disney+.
We watch a lot of house porn. Total brain rot.
We don’t watch sports. At all.
We watch the Commie Network 5 nights a week for left-wing slanted news.

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:27 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
For what it's worth, I get five different PBS stations with my TV antenna (Mohu Leaf).

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:08 am

jacksonm wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:43 pm
Trying to cut the cord and I only want a few channels that we're used to watching (including local channels for sports).

There seemed to be only two alternatives for what we want, Youtube TV and Hulu Live.

Had Amazon Fire Stick on one TV, an older version of Roku on another.....

1.) No offical Youtube TV was available for the FIre Stick. Downloaded from a third party but there was something wrong with the sound (choppy). So Youtube TV is a no-go, at least with this version of Fire Stick.

2.) Neither Youtube TV nor Hulu Live were available on the older version of Roku I was using. So went to Walmart and bought a newer version Express Roku for $29.95 which was supposed to be supported.

3. Final solution - Official version of Hulu LIve was available on Fire Stick and works fine. I like it a lot. Hulu Live was available on newer Roku but the app crashes whenever you change live channels. Cant find anything on the internet about the problem. I'm hoping they will eventually fix this but for now I have to do a system restart whenever I want to change channels. Fortunately, it reboots a lot faster than the old one. It's a bedroom TV which doesn't get watched that often so I'm okay with this for now.

Anybody else have similar problems?

Update: I took the Roku Express back to Walmart and ordered another Firestick on Amazon since that is the one thing that has worked so far (even though I really liked the Roku interface). Estimated arrival date is Dec. 19 (two weeks from today) so I'll have to let you know later if it worked. Can't see why it wouldn't but I guess you never know. The new Firestick could be totally different from the old one since I bought it over 5 years ago.
To give you the best answer we need more info. What channels do you want? What is important to you (live tv, locals, DVR)?

Personally we installed an antenna on our roof (Dish will install and provide the antenna for $199). We bought a Tablo Dual with 64g drive (you can add a portable hard drive up to 2 tb). We got the lifetime subscription to record shows via the 2 week schedule and use commercial skip. This was good for all locals.

We also stream ATT Now (formerly Directv Now) grandfathered plan for $35. This pretty much has every channel we need and free HBO with our cell plan. However we never would have signed up on the new $65 plan with half the channels we watch not available. We also signed up for the 3 year Disney+ for $140. The thought process was that with two little ones not buying all the Pixar DVD’s will save us in the long run. Again, we need to know what channels you watch but Sling Blue and a couple add ons can get you close to cable.

As for the switch it was pretty seamless for us. Apple TV and just bought a Ruku TV which is awesome for the price. Saving about $70 a month is nice.

mancich

Post by mancich » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:39 am

zlandar wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:52 pm
Newer and/or more powerful versions of either device will work better. The Roku Ultra was on sale for $50 during BF but I don't see it anymore. Ditto for the Fire devices.

You can buy an Ultra at Wal-Mart and try it out. Should be a much smoother experience. I've used Youtube TV before and had no issues with a 2018 Ultra.
This. We have an Ultra in the bedroom and one in the family room, both with a microSD card inserted in the back, which prevents the Roku from having to re-download certain apps (e.g. Amazon prime Video), and they are very fast.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:13 am

The key to cable cutting is as follows:

1) a very strong WiFi signal such as Verizon gigabit or
2) hard wired wall ports for each tv getting a direct signal via cat cabling/Ethernet

Without #2 you are only going to have luck with a very strong signal not on many levels, I tried with a 3 story townhouse and while good 90% of the time, the buffering made me nuts. And to cable the lines would cost over $600 by an electrician, Verizon isn’t willing to do it.

Knowing this will save you a lot of frustration.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:22 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Do you mean live PBS? Cause the Roku has a PBS App that works well.

CalcHP12c

Post by CalcHP12c » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:38 am

We really enjoy YouTube tv. Run it from app on iPhone, and project to the tv using a $30 chromecast. One time investment of $30. Monthly $50, unlimited cloud dvr, easy to cancel during months not interested in tv (summer!) and restart again. No taxes, rental fees, etc.

RJC

Post by RJC » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:25 am

We cut the cord a few months ago and all we have now is Netflix ($12), Prime (free w/ delivery), and Hulu ($5). Basic internet 100/100 is $40 a month through Verizon.

For us, the whole point of cutting the cord was a) watch less passive TV and b) pay much less (used to pay around $150).

The only thing I kind of miss are sports channels; however, we have an antenna so we can see some of the bigger events.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:26 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:22 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Hardly anything on PBS is really “live”.

PBS has its own streaming service which is accessible from Roku, AppleTV, and many “smart” TVs. Shows from the most recent few weeks are available for free, or the whole season with a minimum donation to a local station

RJC

Post by RJC » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:52 am

oxothuk wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:26 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Hardly anything on PBS is really “live”.

PBS has its own streaming service which is accessible from Roku, AppleTV, and many “smart” TVs. Shows from the most recent few weeks are available for free, or the whole season with a minimum donation to a local station
Can't you get PBS through an antenna? If not there's always https://www.locast.org/.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:13 am

Cable cord cutting has been a bit complicated for our household and the cost differential seems to be shrinking with "app creep" as family members add services to get add'l content.

I have been doing probably an overly long evaluation/transition phase between cable and streaming as I've had both for awhile.

Here have been my observations:
1. My ISP, Spectrum, is not 100% reliable in internet or cable reliability. There are occasional internet outages or slowdowns (numerous posts to my local Nextdoor forum pop up constantly) and cable picture quality can vary. Sometimes the picture will pixelate/breakup, then recover and look good most of the time. Although, I will say that ym bluray player will always deliver a slightly crisper picture for a given movie side by side.

2. My Roku devices are mostly reliable. Sometimes the remote will lose connectivity to the device and I have to reboot and re-pair device to remote.

3. My streaming provider is DirecTV Now - which is now AT&T. There has been price creep over time and I am now paying $60/month for the MOST BASIC package. So when folks say they are only paying $35/month - I'd like to know how.

The AT&T streaming service is mostly reliable. But, I will experience occasional buffering while in the middle of watching a show. And, depending on the show/program, the picture will sometimes freeze & stop. This past Thanksgiving, we were watching one of the football games and it just stopped. Then got a screen of "No Service". Since I still have cable I switched over and the game was still going. And when I switched the channel within AT&T other shows were fine. So, it must have been delivery of just the game from the upstream provider or overload in AT&T's service.

It is cumbersome to change channels using the Roku/AT&T combo. And it is difficult to navigate to a new channel as you can't jump between channels - you have to use the up or down button and scroll thru all the channels to get to the one you want to change to. OH - and there is no "back/previous" button.

The PBS app does have some content, but unless you pay the $5/month to be a Passport member, the content is limited. We were watching the last season of Poldark on PBS via cable/Spectrum, but when I flipped to the Roku/PBS App, NONE of the Poldark episodes were 'free' -they were all marked with the icon for Passport Members only.

There is a lot of "free" content via streaming via apps such as the Roku Channel, Tubi, Pluto, etc. A LOT of movies and tv shows and obscure content - but you do have to put up with the oddly placed commercial break now and then.

I'll end here by saying that my experience can be summarized by "I could live with streaming" And - maybe save some money. But I've noticed over time that the gap seems to be shrinking as all content providers want to charge you separately. Get enough of them and the savings start to go away.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Since none of the shows I wanted to watch are in the app I didn't consider it to work that well. You can get the same shows in the app as on their website.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:39 am

Slinky wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:13 am

2) hard wired wall ports for each tv getting a direct signal via cat cabling/Ethernet

Without #2 you are only going to have luck with a very strong signal not on many levels, I tried with a 3 story townhouse and while good 90% of the time, the buffering made me nuts. And to cable the lines would cost over $600 by an electrician, Verizon isn’t willing to do it.

We have a 3 unit Google Wi-Fi system. Nothing is hard wired. One unit in the basement. One unit on the main floor. One unit on the top floor.

I had 4 TVs streaming HD content from YouTube TV with no issues. While they were playing I put something on my phone and had my kid put something on her iPad.

We have 100MB cable internet, so nothing outlandish for speed. I think the router setup is a key factor. Not all routers are created equal. Cable bandwidth is shared with all your neighbors, so that could be a factor, especially at prime time viewing.

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 am

anonsdca wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Nope, just checked my bill, still the same. I don't think I would have gone for something that would have increased after time, and if it does, I will cancel, or move. I have no problems doing that. However, like you said, I have experience with ALL/most of the streamers. I have had Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Philo, Prime, I have tired trials of Epic, and other pay channels. Even if my bill would go up $10, I would keep direct TV because it is just not worth it to me to keep tabs on all the streaming stuff going on. Sorry, that is getting about as ridiculous as cable was back in the early 2010s.
So you pay $49 all in?

A quick look at their website shows their least expensive package is $59 plus taxes, regional sports fees and misc fees and that's for only 1 television so lets call it $70 after the first year they charge you the current prevailing rate currently $81 plus the above mentioned fees lets call is $95.

If you decide to cancel after the first year they will charge you an extra $20 per month ($240).

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:13 am

What do you all pay for internet service?

Do you ever run into data usage issues due to streaming?

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 am

greg24 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:13 am

I'm still 'tied up'...ah...I mean 'bundled' with Spectrum.

But, the local going rate for their internet only, 100Mbps+ is $60/month, unlimited data

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 am

Slinky wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:13 am

You're correct about needing a strong wifi signal, but that has nothing to do with who your internet provider is or the speed of your connection. Verizon gigabit has nothing to do with it.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 am

greg24 wrote:

I'm on a 12 month promo with Comcast. It is $19.99/mo for 25 Mbps and 1TB of data. I never come close to using that. I would imagine if you have multiple people watching different things frequently at high quality it might be a problem.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:30 am

SmallCityDave wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 am
anonsdca wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:35 pm

So you pay $49 all in?

A quick look at their website shows their least expensive package is $59 plus taxes, regional sports fees and misc fees and that's for only 1 television so lets call it $70 after the first year they charge you the current prevailing rate currently $81 plus the above mentioned fees lets call is $95.

If you decide to cancel after the first year they will charge you an extra $20 per month ($240).
Well, my bill has been 101.11 since I got the service and that includes Century link internet, so yes, all in, when I got it. I think it was a special or something, but I know when I saw it ,it was going to give me everything I wanted at relatively the same cost of what I was streaming.

Look, I am not trying to convince anyone here to go back to cable. Most of the people commenting are recent cord cutters, I did 7 years ago for all the reasons they are talking about now. I get it. All, I was saying is that cable is changing. Look around.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:42 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Since none of the shows I wanted to watch are in the app I didn't consider it to work that well. You can get the same shows in the app as on their website.
Huh? Ours all were. The search function doesn’t work well. What are you trying to watch that’s not in the app?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:50 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:42 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Huh? Ours all were. The search function doesn’t work well. What are you trying to watch that’s not in the app?
America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country, the Steven Reichlan bbq series. A lot of the cooking shows are missing. I haven't really looked into other shows.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:58 am

greg24 wrote:

Up to $59.99/month now for 100mb cable internet. The competitor is $5 less. I haven't mustered up the energy to switch for $5.

No data cap. Well, they say after 5 TB you may be slowed down.

We have exceeded 1 TB a few months. Once when the Olympics were on and my wife streamed all day for those 3 weeks.

If you have a sub 1 TB data cap, you can certainly run into limit issues. Especially with multiple TVs streaming. If it is just 1 TV, probably not an issue.

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:58 am
greg24 wrote:

Up to $59.99/month now for 100mb cable internet. The competitor is $5 less. I haven't mustered up the energy to switch for $5.

No data cap. Well, they say after 5 TB you may be slowed down.

We have exceeded 1 TB a few months. Once when the Olympics were on and my wife streamed all day for those 3 weeks.

If you have a sub 1 TB data cap, you can certainly run into limit issues. Especially with multiple TVs streaming. If it is just 1 TV, probably not an issue.
Xfinity has the data cap. Used them for two months (when I was streaming) and had to cancel and switch to Century Link and they do not have a cap.

Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 am

We saved around $100/month by dropping cable and going with a Roku and PlayStation Vue.

PS Vue had the channels that most closely matched what I was watching on cable. They seemed to have the best for live sports.

I can get PBS OTA, so the fact that it isn't available in my streaming package isn't a big deal.

Interestingly, I sometimes get different NFL games on PS Vue compared to what I get on the same channels OTA.