how much to tip the cleaning lady

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
lomarica01
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:57 am

how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by lomarica01 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:03 pm

I want to leave a Christmas tip for our bi monthly lady who cleans our house but am not sure what is appropriate. we pay by the hour and for the month it is about $120-140. She has been coming for about six months and the work is good but not fantastic.

any suggestions appreciated.

BarbBrooklyn
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 am
Location: NYC

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm

I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

JediMisty
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am
Location: Central NJ

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by JediMisty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 pm

My cleaning lady comes every two weeks also. I also tip the amount of one session, every year without fail. I would characterize the work as good, but not perfect. However, the rate is low, and hasn't gone up in years. I only have the kitchen and bathrooms cleaned.

oldfatguy
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Just give her a raise instead. If you don't think her work warrants a raise, then why would you give her a lump sum?

NJdad6
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:51 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by NJdad6 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:13 pm

BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
Same here. $120 every other week so I tip the cost of one appointment (total $240). last year I gave her $250 because I didn’t have any twentys. Plan to do $250 again this year.

Dottie57
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:40 pm

BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
Me too!

drawpoker
Posts: 2731
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by drawpoker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm

JediMisty wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 pm
My cleaning lady comes every two weeks also.....
That's not what the OP wrote. OP wrote "bi monthly lady". Not the same.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22286
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm
JediMisty wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 pm
My cleaning lady comes every two weeks also.....
That's not what the OP wrote. OP wrote "bi monthly lady". Not the same.
My conclusion is that the OP mis-typed or misunderstands. I interpreted the OP to mean "semi-monthly" or twice a month.

"Every two weeks" is a little more frequent than twice a month.

As to the original question - I think this is more like a bonus rather than a tip. I assume this cleaning lady is an individual - not a cleaning service employee? If she is well and fairly compensated for her regular services - then I think $100 would be ok. More could also make a lot of sense as well.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22286
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 pm

NJdad6 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:13 pm
BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
Same here. $120 every other week so I tip the cost of one appointment (total $240). last year I gave her $250 because I didn’t have any twentys. Plan to do $250 again this year.
To me, you seem very generous.

NJdad6
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:51 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by NJdad6 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 pm
NJdad6 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:13 pm
BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
Same here. $120 every other week so I tip the cost of one appointment (total $240). last year I gave her $250 because I didn’t have any twentys. Plan to do $250 again this year.
To me, you seem very generous.
I think that is pretty standard. Just to clarify the “tip” or Christmas bonus was $130. The $250 is the standard $120 fee plus $130 tip. She does a good job and is flexible when we need her to be so I think it is worth it.

HomeStretch
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm

+1 on the tip = one session. When appropriate for a super cleaner, a periodic raise is nice too. If you decide to give a raise, still give a tip. Lack of a tip might be perceived negatively even if the raise for one year is more money.

JediMisty
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am
Location: Central NJ

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by JediMisty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm
JediMisty wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 pm
My cleaning lady comes every two weeks also.....
That's not what the OP wrote. OP wrote "bi monthly lady". Not the same.
The next poster said "every other week". But thanks for explaining the difference between bi-weekly and twice per month to me. :wink:

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22286
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:59 pm

NJdad6 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 pm
NJdad6 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:13 pm
BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
Same here. $120 every other week so I tip the cost of one appointment (total $240). last year I gave her $250 because I didn’t have any twentys. Plan to do $250 again this year.
To me, you seem very generous.
I think that is pretty standard. Just to clarify the “tip” or Christmas bonus was $130. The $250 is the standard $120 fee plus $130 tip. She does a good job and is flexible when we need her to be so I think it is worth it.
To some degree, I would want this tip/bonus to result in continued excellent work being done.

While not wanting to seem like Scrooge - I would also not want there to be disappointment in future years if you were not able to continue what you do.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22286
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:03 pm

JediMisty wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm
drawpoker wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm
JediMisty wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 pm
My cleaning lady comes every two weeks also.....
That's not what the OP wrote. OP wrote "bi monthly lady". Not the same.
The next poster said "every other week". But thanks for explaining the difference between bi-weekly and twice per month to me. :wink:
It is amazing to me how many well educated folks get these terms mixed up.

bryanm
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by bryanm » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:03 pm
JediMisty wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm
drawpoker wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm
JediMisty wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 pm
My cleaning lady comes every two weeks also.....
That's not what the OP wrote. OP wrote "bi monthly lady". Not the same.
The next poster said "every other week". But thanks for explaining the difference between bi-weekly and twice per month to me. :wink:
It is amazing to me how many well educated folks get these terms mixed up.
They're not mixing it up, it's just an inherently ambiguous term. (See https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... -bimonthly). The lamentable failures of English's mongrel roots.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22286
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:55 pm

bryanm wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:03 pm
JediMisty wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm
drawpoker wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm
JediMisty wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 pm
My cleaning lady comes every two weeks also.....
That's not what the OP wrote. OP wrote "bi monthly lady". Not the same.
The next poster said "every other week". But thanks for explaining the difference between bi-weekly and twice per month to me. :wink:
It is amazing to me how many well educated folks get these terms mixed up.
They're not mixing it up, it's just an inherently ambiguous term. (See https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... -bimonthly). The lamentable failures of English's mongrel roots.
I suppose so - unfortunately. That's why I usually say something like every two weeks, or twice a month, or so many times per year.

Or, when someone is mixed up about bi-weekly, or bi-monthly, etc. - I say something like "Just like BI-Sexual" - then they do look confused.

drawpoker
Posts: 2731
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by drawpoker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:12 pm

bryanm wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm
They're not mixing it up, it's just an inherently ambiguous term......lamentable failures of English's mongrel roots.
Add to that the growing phenomenon rampant in our public schools as the Dumbing Down of America and the general trashing of the English language.

Call up a cleaning service and tell them you want to engage the services of cleaning lady on a bi-monthly basis, what would you expect to get? Compare with subscribing to a magazine that describes itself as a monthly. What would you expect to get? Now, subscribe to one that is described as a bi-monthly (like AARP Magazine)

What would you get?

ivk5
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:05 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by ivk5 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Fortnightly?

bryanm
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by bryanm » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:22 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:12 pm
bryanm wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm
They're not mixing it up, it's just an inherently ambiguous term......lamentable failures of English's mongrel roots.
Add to that the growing phenomenon rampant in our public schools as the Dumbing Down of America and the general trashing of the English language.

Call up a cleaning service and tell them you want to engage the services of cleaning lady on a bi-monthly basis, what would you expect to get? Compare with subscribing to a magazine that describes itself as a monthly. What would you expect to get? Now, subscribe to one that is described as a bi-monthly (like AARP Magazine)

What would you get?
Before deciding what I would expect to get, I suppose I would need to peruse the details of the arrangement.

drawpoker
Posts: 2731
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by drawpoker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Good one! :P :P :P :P I love a good contronym

hoops777
Posts: 2712
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by hoops777 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:33 pm

We clean our house ourselves,but maybe I have seen too much on TV because I would definitely want anyone cleaning our house to feel appreciated and fairly paid for many reasons.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

pkay
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by pkay » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:29 pm

I think it's the least we can do to tip the person who helps keep your home tidy. Think about the work that they do, all day. It's demanding on the body. One session or one month's cost is good. Generosity is a virtue. My grandparents cleaned houses in their younger days to help make ends meet so I pay special attention to cleaning folks in general.

retire57
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by retire57 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:36 pm

Our housekeeper from a local cleaning service visits once a month. We gave her a $50 gift card this year.

RetiredArtist
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by RetiredArtist » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:24 pm

The super nice woman who cleans my house comes every two weeks. I give her an extra payment at Christmas. And every year I raise the amount I pay her, per the Department of Labor cost of living increase for my area.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:04 pm

RetiredArtist wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:24 pm
The super nice woman who cleans my house comes every two weeks. I give her an extra payment at Christmas. And every year I raise the amount I pay her, per the Department of Labor cost of living increase for my area.
If the increase is 1.78% do you break out the change jar? :mrgreen:

I'm actually thinking if doing the same come January.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 pm

BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
This is what I did.

Although, if they come weekly am I supposed to tip 2 sessions?

prd1982
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by prd1982 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 pm

We have a service, rather than an individual. We get the same person most sessions. But this is a high turnover job. So year-end bonuses were really difficult since it could be a new person, or one just there a couple of sessions. So we switched to giving out the YE bonus across the year's session. We also give more. We figure that we give to charity organizations where we don't know the individuals getting the money, so we should give to those we know are working hard.

BarbBrooklyn
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 am
Location: NYC

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:48 pm

I tip all service folks like cleaners and hairdressers the cost of one service, no matter the frequency. Or the weekly wage in the case of someone who works for you every day like a nanny.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by snackdog » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Depends on how much you like her.

pennywise
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by pennywise » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:09 pm

BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
I do the same and I usually give her a token wrapped gift as well, something inexpensive.

Good suggestion about giving it early; she comes tomorrow so will give her the bonus and gift then.

inbox788
Posts: 6647
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by inbox788 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 pm

pennywise wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:09 pm
BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
I do the same and I usually give her a token wrapped gift as well, something inexpensive.

Good suggestion about giving it early; she comes tomorrow so will give her the bonus and gift then.
My Dyson surprise Christmas gift of 2008. [I'm surprised by the excitement and would guess most people wouldn't be so appreciative]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBMe4w9pmss

How about a Dyson vacuum cleaner for the cleaning lady? Or the wife? Maybe a Peloton instead...cycle or PTON?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey2_O_VdBA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijof8uw4OHs

Never mind, cash is safer. Since she's only been doing it for 6 months, maybe half what you would give her for a full year? And then the full amount next year if she continues? Good work 1X vs great work 1.5-2X?
Last edited by inbox788 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rage_phish
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:27 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by rage_phish » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:28 pm

BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
We do the same

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 730
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by LilyFleur » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:38 pm

I generally buy her Chipotle for dinner or give her a Marie Callender's pot pie out of the freezer. Oh, wait, I am the cleaning lady. 8-)

BarbBrooklyn
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 am
Location: NYC

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:42 pm

I think this is the standard advice posted in the NY Times each year. I must have gotten it from somewhere.

Years ago, my best friend called to say that she had given her nanny (who cared for her 2 year old with Autism) a lovely large pointsetta plant for Christmas. And that the woman seemed a bit taken aback. And not in a good way.

I told her she needed to get this lady a week's salary in cash, pronto. Before she quit. She still thanks me.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

Calli114
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 12:54 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by Calli114 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:48 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm
+1 on the tip = one session. When appropriate for a super cleaner, a periodic raise is nice too. If you decide to give a raise, still give a tip. Lack of a tip might be perceived negatively even if the raise for one year is more money.

I previously had a franchise cleaning service that raised their fees periodically. I now have a private person and I guess I had assumed she would let me know about a fee increase but it's been several years at the same rate - is it typically up to the homeowner instead?
For Christmas I do tip her the cost of one service.

HomeStretch
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Calli114 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:48 pm
HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm
+1 on the tip = one session. When appropriate for a super cleaner, a periodic raise is nice too. If you decide to give a raise, still give a tip. Lack of a tip might be perceived negatively even if the raise for one year is more money.
I previously had a franchise cleaning service that raised their fees periodically. I now have a private person and I guess I had assumed she would let me know about a fee increase but it's been several years at the same rate - is it typically up to the homeowner instead?
For Christmas I do tip her the cost of one service.
I have had several cleaners (individuals) over the years and none ever raised the rates even after a few years. So I did initiate a rate increase after a couple years after checking around on the going rates.

Calli114
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 12:54 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by Calli114 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:03 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:58 pm
Calli114 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:48 pm
HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm
+1 on the tip = one session. When appropriate for a super cleaner, a periodic raise is nice too. If you decide to give a raise, still give a tip. Lack of a tip might be perceived negatively even if the raise for one year is more money.
I previously had a franchise cleaning service that raised their fees periodically. I now have a private person and I guess I had assumed she would let me know about a fee increase but it's been several years at the same rate - is it typically up to the homeowner instead?
For Christmas I do tip her the cost of one service.
I have had several cleaners (individuals) over the years and none ever raised the rates even after a few years. So I did initiate a rate increase after a couple years after checking around on the going rates.
Makes sense, thanks.

drawpoker
Posts: 2731
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by drawpoker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:06 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:38 pm
I generally buy her Chipotle for dinner or give her a Marie Callender's pot pie out of the freezer. Oh, wait, I am the cleaning lady. 8-)
I know what she likes to drink. I see the evidence missing from liquor cabinet. When she is supposed to be cleaning. So I generally buy her a bottle of good Irish whisky, maybe some Bailey's Irish cream too. Oh, wait, I am the cleaning lady 8-)

User avatar
ram
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:47 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by ram » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:21 pm

After a gap of a few years my wife gave our cleaning lady a 20% raise last year. I think we now pay her about 10% above market rate. But my wife schedules her on her (wife's) days off so she gets things done exactly as she wants. The cleaning lady was given 1 hour's wage as a Xmas gift.
Ram

bayview
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: WNC

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by bayview » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:21 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:06 pm
LilyFleur wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:38 pm
I generally buy her Chipotle for dinner or give her a Marie Callender's pot pie out of the freezer. Oh, wait, I am the cleaning lady. 8-)
I know what she likes to drink. I see the evidence missing from liquor cabinet. When she is supposed to be cleaning. So I generally buy her a bottle of good Irish whisky, maybe some Bailey's Irish cream too. Oh, wait, I am the cleaning lady 8-)
lol @ you two! :D

I need to ponder this a bit. Perhaps it will motivate me to clean more frequently!
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Barsoom
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:40 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by Barsoom » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:27 pm

lomarica01 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:03 pm
any suggestions appreciated.
We have housekeepers come into our home every two weeks.

My wife *might* tip the cleaners on certain visits if we have an exceptional case where the house has a project scattered across the rooms where they have to work around it.

Otherwise, I take the view that a business owner sets their own price, and if they wanted more money they'd raise their price (this goes for a small business like a cleaning service where they hire "wifes, sisters, daughters" to do the work). I tend to only tip wage workers at established businesses like restaurants, or when I hire a company for a one-off and their people have to work in harsh situations, like carrying very heavy furniture or working for a few hours in 90+ degree weather (often, those workers say "you don't have to" but I insist).

To your question about a Christmas tip, we usually get a gift card to the local grocery store, restaurant, or the local movie theater to cover their family. This separates the Christmas gift from the routine gesture of appreciation.

-B

Jags4186
Posts: 3909
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:28 pm

My extremely generous company gave us all a $50 gift cards to Walmart at Christmas last year due to the new tax cuts. It was then added to our first paycheck in 2019 for withholding purposes. It amazes me that people are tipping their cleaning ladies who come ~25 times a year doing maybe 50-75 hours of work $120 for Christmas.

I’m curious, do you all send your cleaning ladies 1099s at the end of the year or do you use companies where the person who comes is an employee?

TallBoy29er
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by TallBoy29er » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:37 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 pm
BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
This is what I did.

Although, if they come weekly am I supposed to tip 2 sessions?
If they come weekly, it would be 52 * (maybe $100 per), so $5200/yr. If you tip $200 for the year (a whopping 3.8%), I would agree that you are indeed The unclescrooge.

User avatar
Mlm
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by Mlm » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 pm

I like an immaculate house but it never occurred to me to pay for a cleaning lady. What am I missing out on?

Barsoom
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:40 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by Barsoom » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Mlm wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 pm
I like an immaculate house but it never occurred to me to pay for a cleaning lady. What am I missing out on?
You're missing out on the joy of cleaning the house for the cleaning ladies, because my wife doesn't want them to know how messy we can get. :(

-B

stoptothink
Posts: 6505
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by stoptothink » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:53 pm

Mlm wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 pm
I like an immaculate house but it never occurred to me to pay for a cleaning lady. What am I missing out on?
I'm with you, has never even crossed my mind. I could possibly understand paying someone to come clean after a single large event, but every 2 weeks? But a lot of people obviously do it. My SIL's parents do it for a living - have their own home cleaning business where they are the only employees - and they don't do half bad.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:54 pm

TallBoy29er wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:37 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 pm
BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I always give the cost of one session. My housekeeper makes $120 for each session; she comes every other week. I give her $120 at Christmas. I gave it to her yesterday so that she'll have it to spend well in advance of the holiday.
This is what I did.

Although, if they come weekly am I supposed to tip 2 sessions?
If they come weekly, it would be 52 * (maybe $100 per), so $5200/yr. If you tip $200 for the year (a whopping 3.8%), I would agree that you are indeed The unclescrooge.
That's inline with my bonus! :mrgreen:

ThreeBears
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:13 am

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by ThreeBears » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:01 pm

Huh, I had a cleaning person. I thought she was expensive, and yet she was cheaper than many of these prices.

Anyways, she stole my credit card. And now she no longer cleans for me.

I doubt I'll hire someone again. In general, the rates were so high, I felt I had made the wrong career choice.

Isn't unskilled labor supposed to be cheap?

Atilla
Posts: 1390
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by Atilla » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:04 pm

Generosity is a virtue. And nothing spends like cash under the table.

You paying for a regular cleaning person and you plan to keep them? Don't be a cheapa*** at the end of the year.
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

drawpoker
Posts: 2731
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: how much to tip the cleaning lady

Post by drawpoker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:10 pm

ThreeBears wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:01 pm
.....In general, the rates were so high....

Isn't unskilled labor supposed to be cheap?
If you arrange for the cleaning lady thru an agency (the best option) the hourly rate, or daily, or however they charge, has got to account for all the extra stuff, liability insurance, workmans comp, bonding, maybe benefits like health insurance, sick leave, vacation days. And don't forget the employer's portion of F.I.C.A.

It represents alot more than just the actual cost of the labor involved. In return, you should expect professional service, prompt cooperation for any cancellations or date switches you may need, they supply the cleaning materials and equipment, etc.

You get all this for using an agency. Plus, an expectation one of them will not steal your credit card.

Post Reply