Switching health insurances question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
corysold

Switching health insurances question

Post by corysold » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:37 pm

I received health insurance through my job as of November 1st. Due to some paperwork delays, we haven't had a chance to cancel my wife's insurance through her school district as of yet. She has an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, which insurance should she use? Does it matter if just uses her insurance since we haven't cancelled it yet? It won't be cancelled retroactively correct since we pay a month in advance?

Just want to make sure we don't end up in some limbo where the wrong insurance is billed, or not billed as the case may be. Thanks!

If it matters, old insurance is HMO with no deductible $10 copay. New insurance has a $250 deductible/person and is PPO, covered at 90%. I'd just assume save the deductible for this year and use the old insurance if possible.

Silk McCue

Re: Switching health insurances question

Post by Silk McCue » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Given that it is tomorrow I would use the old insurance. Likely no time to retroactively cancel. Should be zero chance of wrong insurance billed if they aren’t told of the new one.

Cheers

fortfun

Re: Switching health insurances question

Post by fortfun » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:51 pm

I think you have 30 days to decide. I'd closely compare the 2 plans. As a teacher, I cancelled my plan (50 copay) to get on DWs family plans, since it covered me at no additional cost (10 copay). DW is on a HD HSA now, so I'm back on my teacher plan.