Timeshare offer experience

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
beyou

Re: Timeshare offer experience

Post by beyou » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:55 am

capjak wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:06 pm
Absolutely love my 5 timeshares (Disney, Westin,Sheraton,Marriott,Hilton). All bought resale of course for 50% or more off retail. Many many years of travel with family in 2 or 3 bedrooms and look forward to many more with grand kids. Absolutely forced to go places and take vacations.
Don’t you have to pay maintenance fees each year on every one of these ? How can that be profitable even if purchase price is low ?

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:09 am

beyou wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:55 am
capjak wrote:
Absolutely love my 5 timeshares (Disney, Westin,Sheraton,Marriott,Hilton). All bought resale of course for 50% or more off retail. Many many years of travel with family in 2 or 3 bedrooms and look forward to many more with grand kids. Absolutely forced to go places and take vacations.
Don’t you have to pay maintenance fees each year on every one of these ? How can that be profitable even if purchase price is low ?
I've looked a lot at the Disney timeshares, and if you buy them on the resale market at a very good discount (e.g. 40% off retail), it can be significantly less costly than paying Disney's prices for an equivalent room, even when you take maintenance fees into account. The catch is that you are locked in to either traveling to Disney at least every three years (you can bank one calendar year's points for another year, and you can borrow the next calendar year's points for use in the current year) or renting out your points to someone else. When we traveled to Disney World earlier this year, we rented someone's points via one of the website's that does only this, and the experience was great. IIRC, we spent a little over $2k for 8 nights in the Polynesian, and a slightly smaller room booked through Disney would have been about $4k, so it was a good deal for us, and the owner of the timeshare is probably getting around a 5% ROI.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:22 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:12 pm
Good luck in all that. Unfortunately I lived my life like a BH and now retired and I don't need to be chasing free this or that that is accompanied by onerous talks and time to get a free vacation.
As for taking something from the scammers as a kind of revenge, I personally don't want to associate with those kinds of people.
Just think if everyone said no to even the presentation. Then they would not even have an audience at all and could not play the percentages.
Even if you go to say no you are feeding into the entire scheme.
Likewise. Whole thing a waste of my time. Much better ways to enjoy myself.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:55 am

spae wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:39 pm
I stopped doing this after a salesperson told me that this is his livelihood and you had no intention of buying so I was being selfish and abusing the system.He was right but the timeshare companies do the same.I did that same deal in Princeville but was not offered the second trip with the points.
I find it hard to have sympathy for this argument when the salespeople are selling a scam that most customers wouldn't buy into if they understood the implications. I've never gone on one of these trips and I'm not likely to, but another way to look at it is that by taking a slot you're saving some poor sucker from getting scammed. Not only do you get a cheap vacation, you're doing a bit of good in the world!

You're robbing Parker to pay Peter to pay Paul. (I have no idea who the first "P" name should be, but Parker sounds okay).

Who do you think ultimately is funding these trips? Yes, it may directly be the salesman, but where is his/her income coming from? You're getting less financially savvy people to pay for your vacation (that you could probably afford with or without the extra incentives; I am leaning towards can afford as BHs would burn you at the stake if you're going on vacations that you cannot afford.)

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:58 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Good luck in all that. Unfortunately I lived my life like a BH and now retired and I don't need to be chasing free this or that that is accompanied by onerous talks and time to get a free vacation.

I'm with you on this... Unfortunately, I have seen people become so financially frugal that they go off the deep end to the point that they're effectively cheating others to work the system. I say "cheating" loosely in the ethical sense and not the criminal code sense.

I get the fliers in the mail for a free steak dinners that would cost reasonable $80+ to feed two comfortably in an effort to sell Wealth Management services. Personally, I am happier going to McDonald's on my own dime than go to these presentations and take food that I did not pay for from an industry that has what many BHs would consider to have ill-gotten profits.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:12 am

Helo80 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:58 am
Shallowpockets wrote:

I'm with you on this... Unfortunately, I have seen people become so financially frugal that they go off the deep end to the point that they're effectively cheating others to work the system. I say "cheating" loosely in the ethical sense and not the criminal code sense.

I get the fliers in the mail for a free steak dinners that would cost reasonable $80+ to feed two comfortably in an effort to sell Wealth Management services. Personally, I am happier going to McDonald's on my own dime than go to these presentations and take food that I did not pay for from an industry that has what many BHs would consider to have ill-gotten profits.
In my opinion, it's an ethical grey area. But I'm a bit curious why people don't enjoy these timeshare presentations. It's an opportunity to observe people who are masters at their craft at work. And sales is a skill that almost everyone can benefit from developing.

Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:55 am
spae wrote:
hoops777 wrote:
I stopped doing this after a salesperson told me that this is his livelihood and you had no intention of buying so I was being selfish and abusing the system.He was right but the timeshare companies do the same.I did that same deal in Princeville but was not offered the second trip with the points.
I find it hard to have sympathy for this argument when the salespeople are selling a scam that most customers wouldn't buy into if they understood the implications. I've never gone on one of these trips and I'm not likely to, but another way to look at it is that by taking a slot you're saving some poor sucker from getting scammed. Not only do you get a cheap vacation, you're doing a bit of good in the world!

You're robbing Parker to pay Peter to pay Paul. (I have no idea who the first "P" name should be, but Parker sounds okay).

Who do you think ultimately is funding these trips? Yes, it may directly be the salesman, but where is his/her income coming from? You're getting less financially savvy people to pay for your vacation (that you could probably afford with or without the extra incentives; I am leaning towards can afford as BHs would burn you at the stake if you're going on vacations that you cannot afford.)
A requirement of the Westin offer was a minimum income of $100k. The resort’s normal room rate was well over $400. So I think it’s safe to say everyone on the premises could afford it.
Helo80 wrote:
The frugal thing to do would be not to go on the vacation at all. As for the ethics, by attending the timeshare presentation or the steak dinner, you are taking up a seat that might have otherwise gone to a less financially savvy participant. I consider it my good deed for the month.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:27 pm

We have 2 weeks of timeshare with Marriott, both bought for about $0.20 on the dollar on the resale market. Have had them for 20 years, and they have definitely been worth the annual maintenance fee. Last month we used a week in Vegas, and while we learned that a week in Vegas was about 6 days too long for us the timeshare was great.

A week before we checked in, we received a call inviting us to a 90 minute sales presentation. We told the sale rep that there was no way that we would buy a 3rd timeshare week, especially if it wasn't on the resale market, but they suggested that we should go anyway. Since we knew we would have time to kill, we went.

We had a reasonably nice conversation with the salesman, and he made a couple very useful suggestions on how we could improve our trade strategy via Interval International (about 75% of the time we use our weeks in locations other than our ownership weeks). We were "released" in about 45 minutes, and given a $150 voucher that we were able to apply to a Vegas show were were planning to see anyway.

So in our case:

[1] no issue with ethics, since we told the scheduler up front there was no way we would buy
[2] time well spent, since we gained some useful info and had nothing better to do that morning (did I mention we were stuck in Vegas for the week?)
[3] in addition to some good coffee & pastries, we "earned" $150 tax free for under 1 hour of our time

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:49 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:08 pm
A requirement of the Westin offer was a minimum income of $100k. The resort’s normal room rate was well over $400. So I think it’s safe to say everyone on the premises could afford it.
Helo80 wrote:
The frugal thing to do would be not to go on the vacation at all. As for the ethics, by attending the timeshare presentation or the steak dinner, you are taking up a seat that might have otherwise gone to a less financially savvy participant. I consider it my good deed for the month.

You seem to be committed to taking advantage of these offers. You do not need our blessing to proceed.

Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:49 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Helo80 wrote:

You seem to be committed to taking advantage of these offers. You do not need our blessing to proceed.
Not asking for your blessing or anyone else’s. I’m already on the trip.

The point of the thread was to educate others who got the offer.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:29 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:35 am
hoops777 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:28 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:03 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 pm
hoops777 wrote:
I have absolutely no moral qualms about doing this. The salesperson told me only 1 out of 4 people buy, which is baked into their decision to offer the promotion in the first place. If it wasn’t profitable for them they wouldn’t offer it.
I entirely agree. If it turns out to not be profitable for them, they would cease doing it. It's no different than credit card signup bonuses and loss leaders. Those offering them should know full well that many people will take advantage of the offer and not buy what the company is actually trying to sell.
In all fairness,if you are a salesperson with a couple kids doing the job because it was the best you could find,you would look at it from a different perspective.I feel guilty if the salesperson was nice and not the typical high pressure shark.
I worked in sales for years, and I knew full well that everyone I worked with, even extensively, would not purchase from me. That's just the nature of sales. Those who don't like that should choose another profession. I see no basis for the OP feeling guilty about anything he did.
There are different types of sales jobs.99 pct of sales jobs do not have customers coming in with zero chance of buying and only being there to get a free vacation.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:45 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Helo80 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:55 am
spae wrote:
hoops777 wrote:

Helo80 wrote:
In 2006 or 2007, I attended a time share presentation for a Hilton property in Vegas. It was very nice, but I calculated they were selling a condo on the strip for $2million.

If they were selling it for what is was worth at the time, maybe $200k, and promised not to increase the maintenance fee over the CPI, then I might have considered purchasing it.

Unfortunately, one of my coworkers at the time night into it. :oops:

The same guy whose retirement consists solely of gold coins. (He's in his early 40s now, so this isn't done depression era mindset.)

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:56 pm

We went to the same timeshare presentation last year. And I believe a few weeks after we left there the Westin property was put under the Marriott umbrella of hotel chains.

For our presentation it lasted probably about 90 minutes and we got 15,000 points. I set the time up for late morning, that way after breakfast, laying out in some sun, we walk over to that nice AC building have some good snacks and drinks listen to the presentation (they couldn't overcome our objections, which was kind of fun).

Timeshare ownership is probably one of the worst investments for 99% of the people.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

delamer

Post by delamer » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Mr.BB wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:56 pm
We went to the same timeshare presentation last year. And I believe a few weeks after we left there the Westin property was put under the Marriott umbrella of hotel chains.

For our presentation it lasted probably about 90 minutes and we got 15,000 points. I set the time up for late morning, that way after breakfast, laying out in some sun, we walk over to that nice AC building have some good snacks and drinks listen to the presentation (they couldn't overcome our objections, which was kind of fun).

Timeshare ownership is probably one of the worst investments for 99% of the people.
A big part of the problem is that people think of it as an investment, when at best it’s a way to prepay for (part of) the cost of a vacation.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:45 pm

One would think that the onslaught of Airbnb and the lime will not be good for the timeshare industry.One of the big pitches was always about a timeshare being great for a family with a kitchen and multiple bedrooms vs a hotel.I think this will not severely damage the industry.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:51 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:45 pm
One would think that the onslaught of Airbnb and the lime will not be good for the timeshare industry.One of the big pitches was always about a timeshare being great for a family with a kitchen and multiple bedrooms vs a hotel.I think this will not severely damage the industry.
Kauai has a moratorium on new developments. I think that's the only place it might possibly make sense.

We've been there every other year for the past 5 thanks to my in-laws timeshare. And we're planning on going again in our off-year due to the timeshare presentation.

Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:59 am

Just checked my Bonvoy account and discovered that I received both points for my incidental charges and elite night credit!

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:11 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:13 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:17 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:40 pm
Posting my experience on a timeshare promotion as I know several Bogleheads have received the same offer.

I got this offer in the mail a few months ago:

1. Five nights at the Westin Princeville Kauai (for the nights we went, worth $2,000)
2. Rental car (worth $185)
3. $75 resort credit
4. Mandatory 90 minute timeshare presentation

All for $649.

I just walked out of the presentation, 78 minutes start to finish. Super nice salesman, no hard sell. Of course we didn’t buy a timeshare, but something interesting we were presented with at the very end was the following offer to return and do it all over again:

1. Another 5 nights at the same hotel anytime in the next two years
2. 100,000 Marriott points (worth $800-$1,000)
3. Another mandatory timeshare presentation

...For $1,400. I’m actually thinking of buying it...
I just put down my deposit yesterday! Did you rent a car. Did you have to pay for daily parking?

My in-laws have a timeshare in Pono Kai. We joined them last year and paid $649 for 6 nights in a 2 bedroom ocean view apartment. It's not the Westin, but that's reflected in the price. Considering these usually rent for $200-300 a night I think my in-laws did okay.

Not the best investment in the world, not not terrible either.
Congratulations! Six days rental car were included in the offer, I actually extended the car a few days and the six free days showed up as a $185 credit.

Yes I did pay the on site parking fee of $18/day
Did the room include a kitchenette?

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:15 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:29 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:35 am
hoops777 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:03 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 pm

I have absolutely no moral qualms about doing this. The salesperson told me only 1 out of 4 people buy, which is baked into their decision to offer the promotion in the first place. If it wasn’t profitable for them they wouldn’t offer it.
I entirely agree. If it turns out to not be profitable for them, they would cease doing it. It's no different than credit card signup bonuses and loss leaders. Those offering them should know full well that many people will take advantage of the offer and not buy what the company is actually trying to sell.
In all fairness,if you are a salesperson with a couple kids doing the job because it was the best you could find,you would look at it from a different perspective.I feel guilty if the salesperson was nice and not the typical high pressure shark.
I worked in sales for years, and I knew full well that everyone I worked with, even extensively, would not purchase from me. That's just the nature of sales. Those who don't like that should choose another profession. I see no basis for the OP feeling guilty about anything he did.
There are different types of sales jobs.99 pct of sales jobs do not have customers coming in with zero chance of buying and only being there to get a free vacation.
Are you new to this board? :mrgreen:

How many threads do we have in credit card rewards churning, and new bank/brokerage bonuses?

These timeshare vacations aren't free. OP paid $650 plus $90 in parking.

Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:22 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:11 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Posting my experience on a timeshare promotion as I know several Bogleheads have received the same offer.

1. Five nights at the Westin Princeville Kauai (for the nights we went, worth $2,000)
3. $75 resort credit

All for $649.

I just walked out of the presentation, 78 minutes start to finish. Super nice salesman, no hard sell. Of course we didn’t buy a timeshare, but something interesting we were presented with at the very end was the following offer to return and do it all over again:

I just put down my deposit yesterday! Did you rent a car. Did you have to pay for daily parking?

My in-laws have a timeshare in Pono Kai. We joined them last year and paid $649 for 6 nights in a 2 bedroom ocean view apartment. It's not the Westin, but that's reflected in the price. Considering these usually rent for $200-300 a night I think my in-laws did okay.

Congratulations! Six days rental car were included in the offer, I actually extended the car a few days and the six free days showed up as a $185 credit.

Yes it did

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:41 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:22 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

3. $75 resort credit

All for $649.

Yes it did
Awesome. That's a great thing to have when traveling with kids.

Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:41 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:22 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

Yes it did
Awesome. That's a great thing to have when traveling with kids.
Indeed, and there is a grocery store 5 min away.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:20 pm

I own three Marriott timeshare weeks. One is around the corner from us where we live and I get to use the resort every day I want to work out. I have another in Aruba and a third in Las Vegas. I would never, ever buy destinations points. We trade through Interval almost every year and get to go to places like Vail, Park City, Breckenridge, Orlando, Maui, Kauai, Palm Desert, or Tahoe. I like the timeshare experience but I intensely dislike money grubbing Marriott.

After a hiatus of about five years, we’re going to presentations again in order to build up our Marriott reward points to use for our next trip to England. Combining them with American Airlines ff miles we’ve flown business class back-and-forth and stayed for up to 12 nights in a Marriott London hotel. We’ve been to London numerous times as well as Dublin, Endinburgh, and Amsterdam using Marriott reward points. We have also used reward points for airport nights and in NYC, Aruba, and Palm Desert. Off to Palm Desert for two weeks at the end of the month using trades through Interval.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:54 pm

hoops777 wrote:

Let's not act like this is a low skill job that folks end up with because it's the best they could find. These folks are usually highly skilled, highly trained salespeople making good money. Quick googling had a wide range of average salaries, from $70k-$160k per year. I'd expect the salespeople employed by the top tier companies rarely make less than $100k once they have a little experience.
It pays to be good at sales.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:17 pm

Old Guy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:20 pm
I own three Marriott timeshare weeks. One is around the corner from us where we live and I get to use the resort every day I want to work out. I have another in Aruba and a third in Las Vegas. I would never, ever buy destinations points. We trade through Interval almost every year and get to go to places like Vail, Park City, Breckenridge, Orlando, Maui, Kauai, Palm Desert, or Tahoe. I like the timeshare experience but I intensely dislike money grubbing Marriott.

After a hiatus of about five years, we’re going to presentations again in order to build up our Marriott reward points to use for our next trip to England. Combining them with American Airlines ff miles we’ve flown business class back-and-forth and stayed for up to 12 nights in a Marriott London hotel. We’ve been to London numerous times as well as Dublin, Endinburgh, and Amsterdam using Marriott reward points. We have also used reward points for airport nights and in NYC, Aruba, and Palm Desert. Off to Palm Desert for two weeks at the end of the month using trades through Interval.
Well, different strokes for different folks. I’ve been a timeshare owner since 1997 and got into the Marriott Vacation Club experience in 1999. With my timeshares, we’ve enjoyed fabulous vacations in the U.S. and abroad with family and friends. I don’t view my timeshares as an investment; it’s a luxury consumption item for me much the same way I wouldn’t view the purchase of a Subzero Refrigerator or a high end Aga Gas Range as investments.

My timeshares come at a steep price with maintenance fees that trend upwards every year, but on balance they’ve been adequate financial deals; in my mind, I haven’t been taken to the cleaners; occasionally, I’ve even rented out my units at rental prices above my maintenance fees. I’ve purchased destination club points from Marriott and they give me incredibly more flexibility in traveling, along with Bonvoy/Marriott Reward Points. In fact, I’m seriously considering buying additional destination club points off the resale marketing or renting the points from others.

In retirement, I have found my use of Marriott branded products to be extremely beneficial to us, as empty nesters. I frequently bookend the use of Marriott brands with other non-Marriott products. For instance, we’ve done European River cruises where our pre- and post- cruise stays were at Paris, Barcelona, Vienna and Majorca hotels or resorts under Marriott brands, along with use of FF miles derived from Marriott programs.

Let’s all admit that timeshares can be very bad deals for people of modest income who lack the patience and sophistication to use them properly. And some timeshare weeks at many resorts are intrinsically bad weeks and can’t be given away on EBay — these weeks are financial IEDs — no one should own them, except the resort or developer!

Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:16 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:17 pm
Old Guy wrote:

Well, different strokes for different folks. I’ve been a timeshare owner since 1997 and got into the Marriott Vacation Club experience in 1999. With my timeshares, we’ve enjoyed fabulous vacations in the U.S. and abroad with family and friends. I don’t view my timeshares as an investment; it’s a luxury consumption item for me much the same way I wouldn’t view the purchase of a Subzero Refrigerator or a high end Aga Gas Range as investments.

My timeshares come at a steep price with maintenance fees that trend upwards every year, but on balance they’ve been adequate financial deals; in my mind, I haven’t been taken to the cleaners; occasionally, I’ve even rented out my units at rental prices above my maintenance fees. I’ve purchased destination club points from Marriott and they give me incredibly more flexibility in traveling, along with Bonvoy/Marriott Reward Points. In fact, I’m seriously considering buying additional destination club points off the resale marketing or renting the points from others.

In retirement, I have found my use of Marriott branded products to be extremely beneficial to us, as empty nesters. I frequently bookend the use of Marriott brands with other non-Marriott products. For instance, we’ve done European River cruises where our pre- and post- cruise stays were at Paris, Barcelona, Vienna and Majorca hotels or resorts under Marriott brands, along with use of FF miles derived from Marriott programs.

Let’s all admit that timeshares can be very bad deals for people of modest income who lack the patience and sophistication to use them properly. And some timeshare weeks at many resorts are intrinsically bad weeks and can’t be given away on EBay — these weeks are financial IEDs — no one should own them, except the resort or developer!
You are my hero.

international001

Post by international001 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:32 pm

I had for many years a point system time share
It was virtually impossible to get good weeks. Exchanges ended up giving me less value that what the maintenance cost were. Plus, the locations were limited to (usually) too touristic places.

After one year trying to sell it and reducing the price, I got rid of it last year by giving it away (they paid transactions costs). A happy day.

I guess if you know the property/week you are getting and you know the value of it and you don't mind using it, you can calculate if the benefits outweigh the costs. From my perspective, I was predated on by salesmen and (ex)siginficant other. I was not a BH at the time either, so I consider it another measure of my financial ignorance at the time.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:36 am

ryman554 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:01 am
Are you sure the buyers are actually buyers versus plants? Sounds like the time share folks may be pulling the "seed the tip jar with a couple of dollars" trick.
Well normally we see these people at the resort both before the presentation and after. It would be a very elaborate hoax if it is one indeed. Besides most people are not that skilled at acting. We have spotted a few plants/hoaxes, they tend to be very simplistic.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:18 am

My Father, told me fifty years ago “if it’s free you can’t afford it.” For me this has been sound advice.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:56 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:11 pm
GoldenFinch wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:09 pm
They must have reason to believe offering these trips will eventually pay off for them.
I put it in the same bucket as credit card and bank sign up bonuses.
More like those free dinners to meet with a "financial planner." If sitting through the hardest sell you've ever experienced in your life and repeatedly telling them no doesn't bother you go for it. Just remember people actually pay to have timeshares taken off their hands because they can't even give them away they are so bad.

capjak

Post by capjak » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:58 am

beyou wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:55 am
capjak wrote:
Yes I pay maintenance fees on them and vacations are expensive but I get to stay in deluxe accommodations for less than if I paid discounted rates at the same resort in the same room. However you can get a great deal renting from timeshare owners and in that case many times renting from an owner is less expensive than owning and much less expensive than paying Marriott discounted prices.

When I do not use them I rent them out or bank them for use in another year. I can rent out Disney for twice my maintenance fee with little effort. The Maui rents out for 1.75xs maintenance fee with much more effort if not used.

It's a retirement hobby.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Old Guy wrote:

Yes you can travel well with Marriott points but no way you are going to those places from the meager points you get from attending a sales pitch.

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:17 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

3. $75 resort credit

All for $649.

If you walk out of one of these sales pitches and realize you just bought one, Immediately head to the timeshare users group for advice.

Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:29 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:05 pm
Old Guy wrote:

Yes you can travel well with Marriott points but no way you are going to those places from the meager points you get from attending a sales pitch.
The return offer I described above included 100k points.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:27 pm

100,000 Marriott points might get you 3 hotel nights in London,but probably 2.A mid level hotel is 35,000 points a night.Those 100,000 points do not cover much in terms of flights if you convert them.

MasCowbell

Post by MasCowbell » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:27 pm
100,000 Marriott points might get you 3 hotel nights in London,but probably 2.A mid level hotel is 35,000 points a night.Those 100,000 points do not cover much in terms of flights if you convert them.
The points are worth $1,000. Whether that is worth the 90 min of timeshare pitching is up to you.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 am

I still remember a Playboy Resort timeshare presentation we went to many years ago -- late '70s. (MY wife and I went to a bunch of such presentations as a kind of hobby for a while.)

I did NOT feel cheated in any way. The place was beautiful and the prices were reasonable (just way out of our ballpark -- which was pretty small at the time!). We left with a trunk and backseat-full of goodies, mostly housewares and kitchen appliances.

The place has long since closed (and gone into decay, I think) after several changes of ownership.

I wonder what happened to all the time-shares that were sold? Does anybody know?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 am
The place has long since closed (and gone into decay, I think) after several changes of ownership.

I wonder what happened to all the time-shares that were sold? Does anybody know?
I do recall the Playboy Great Gorge, NJ, timeshare fiasco. Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

Your guess is as good as mine, I suppose. It could be that the project/development went into bankruptcy and that the timeshare owners emerged with no appreciable equity or liability. It demonstrates that if you have a garbage timeshare project with garbage timeshare management, just like any other condominium project, you have garbage ownership interests.

What else is new under the sun? Aren't the streets of finance and business paved with bankruptcies, too?

I've been fortunate that I haven't owned timeshare interests in garbage projects. And I haven't been enticed to purchase garbage from developers or off the resale market. At one time, folks in the resale market could buy cheap, low cost timeshares in South African properties, with low annual maintenance fees -- many bought solely because these timeshares had fabulous trade market value (for some unknown reason) in the exchange companies, like II or RCI -- but then the trading rules got adjusted on the basis of comparative value/exchange concepts -- and these South African properties lost their major draw/enticement. I think it's now considered a fools errand to buy low cost timeshares for trading purposes. Or to rely on hotel reward point programs to anchor timeshare ownership -- how many times can I count the instances when Marriott Reward Points have been devalued? At one time, 100K in Marriott Reward Points could get you 5 nights in the Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel; that will now cost you close to 500K in MRPs.

One has to stay very fluid in timeshare ownership; one should buy in a place that one could concievable enjoy every year or rent out with little trouble above your maintenance fees. It's nice also to have a timeshare with enough market exchange power to essentially get an exchange of equal or better value than the one you're exchanging from.

You gotta know how to play this game to be effective.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:36 pm

MasCowbell wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 pm
hoops777 wrote:
The points are worth $1,000. Whether that is worth the 90 min of timeshare pitching is up to you.
No they are not.I have over 3 million points.I know what they are worth if you are talking about Bonvoy points.I have never in my life heard of them giving someone a 1000 dollars to listen to a timeshare pitch.

Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 am

hoops777 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:36 pm
MasCowbell wrote:
hoops777 wrote:
No they are not.I have over 3 million points.I know what they are worth if you are talking about Bonvoy points.I have never in my life heard of them giving someone a 1000 dollars to listen to a timeshare pitch.
Then I guess you heard it here first.

Took me 10 seconds to find a hotel that yields 1 cent per Bonvoy point value:

https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/c ... f-moon-bay

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:43 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

Heh, my dad was a timeshare salesman there a decade or so ago. He would make $10,000 one month and $0 the next. He lasted about two years before burning out on it.

He said the easiest close was when you had a workaholic husband and a stay at home wife and you played on his guilt of borderline neglecting his wife for decades and always putting work first. "It may seem expensive but you're making up for lost time."

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:29 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 am
hoops777 wrote:
MasCowbell wrote:
hoops777 wrote:
Then I guess you heard it here first.

Took me 10 seconds to find a hotel that yields 1 cent per Bonvoy point value:

https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/c ... f-moon-bay
That's possibly a valuation of reward points by Marriott. But valuations like this are dependent on the rack room rates at hotels (and high end Mariott branded European hotels are generally more expensive than comparable American hotels, and Asian or Latin American hotels much cheaper than others). And there's no guarantee that reward point stays are available for the dates you want -- I believe Marriott sets aside a small fixed percentage of rooms available for reward stays and they are rarely available for dates in which there are major events happening in the area.

I think most valuations by the travel guru bloggers or folks at Flyer Talk would put a point valuation at 1/2 cent. I will book on points whenever I can get a valuation of more than 1 cent a point at a high end hotel. And most points junkies will say, the best values for points are in 5 night travel packages, which combine airline FF miles and hotel reward points and are only available to Marriott timeshare owners. The 7 night travel packages are available to any reward member. I haven't checked it out in a long time, but I thought you could buy 50,000 points directly from Marriott for $600 plus so you also have that valuation as well.

Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:02 am

ChrisC wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:29 am
I think most valuations by the travel guru bloggers or folks at Flyer Talk would put a point valuation at 1/2 cent. I will book on points whenever I can get a valuation of more than 1 cent a point at a high end hotel. And most points junkies will say, the best values for points are in 5 night travel packages, which combine airline FF miles and hotel reward points and are only available to Marriott timeshare owners. The 7 night travel packages are available to any reward member. I haven't checked it out in a long time, but I thought you could buy 50,000 points directly from Marriott for $600 plus so you also have that valuation as well.
ThePointsGuy values Bonvoy points at 0.9 cents a piece.

I have found it much much easier to get good value out of hotel points in general, and Bonvoy points in particular, than out of airline miles, where seat capacity is much tighter and availability therefore often non-existent.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:17 pm

hoops777 wrote:
MasCowbell wrote:
hoops777 wrote:
That was a good deal.I have been to several and never offered 100,000.You are right about the 100,000 being worth 1000 dollars in Marriott stays in a lot of cases,especially if you are going by the rack rates.I always look at my points and am trying to figure how many actual nights I will get out of them and not the dollar amount,and I got them confused in my hasty reply :D
I also would never waste my points at a Ritz Carlton type because for me that is wasting money.The lowest Marriotts like Fairfield Inn are good enough for me and gives me many more opportunities to travel for free,but to each there own.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:22 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 pm
One has to stay very fluid in timeshare ownership; one should buy in a place that one could concievable enjoy every year or rent out with little trouble above your maintenance fees. It's nice also to have a timeshare with enough market exchange power to essentially get an exchange of equal or better value than the one you're exchanging from.

You gotta know how to play this game to be effective.
This is the first time I've seen "very fluid" and "timeshare ownership" used together. Aren't they mutually exclusive? :P

I think the way to "play this game" is to enjoy the perks but buy absolutely nothing. 8-)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:27 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:17 pm
hoops777 wrote:
MasCowbell wrote:
hoops777 wrote:
That was a good deal.I have been to several and never offered 100,000.You are right about the 100,000 being worth 1000 dollars in Marriott stays in a lot of cases,especially if you are going by the rack rates.I always look at my points and am trying to figure how many actual nights I will get out of them and not the dollar amount,and I got them confused in my hasty reply :D
I also would never waste my points at a Ritz Carlton type because for me that is wasting money.The lowest Marriotts like Fairfield Inn are good enough for me and gives me many more opportunities to travel for free,but to each there own.
To me using points on Fairfield Inn is the waste. Why would you waste points on something you could pay cash for?

Points should be used for extravagant aspirational experiences you would never pay cash for.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:29 pm

We have been to two presentations. The first was on our honeymoon years ago. I don't remember the details. The second was with Marriott Vacation Club on HNL 6 years (or so) ago. We had flew in on miles in F, were staying at the JW on points, and rented a car on points. Just happened to be walking down the beach one day when we were presented with the offer. Decided to take it. Ended up with a comped dinner at Roys Steakhouse, a few Marriott Points, and a handful of other small things. I remember telling the salesman that I rarely had less than 1M Marriott Points in my account due to business travel, so it would be a hard sale. Ended up being no sale, but we did enjoy dinner at Roy's.

Vacations with kids in hotels does suck. Over the years, I have found a few places to use Marriott Reward Points for Marriott Vacation Club "rooms" during our peak vacation times. The MVC rooms and properties are awesome, but not awesome enough to buy into the program. Ultimately, we ended up buying a house on the beach that we frequent most, and just use my Marriott points primarily for mom and dad only vacations.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:12 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:27 pm

To me using points on Fairfield Inn is the waste. Why would you waste points on something you could pay cash for?

Points should be used for extravagant aspirational experiences you would never pay cash for.
Well, if one were to use points at a Fairfield, they'd have the cash they would have spent to spend on whatever they want, whether that's an extravagant getaway or adding bacon to that double cheeseburger. I'll be staying at a Residence Inn in a couple weeks that I paid for with Marriott points. Fairfield was the same number of points in this out of the way location that happens to be around where I want to end a day of driving before finishing the drive the next day.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:12 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Well, if one were to use points at a Fairfield, they'd have the cash they would have spent to spend on whatever they want, whether that's an extravagant getaway or adding bacon to that double cheeseburger. I'll be staying at a Residence Inn in a couple weeks that I paid for with Marriott points. Fairfield was the same number of points in this out of the way location that happens to be around where I want to end a day of driving before finishing the drive the next day.
Perspective is important... I have never paid out of pocket for a hotel. I travel for work, so earn points at a rate that I don't care to burn. If I need to be somewhere for personal travel and a Fairfield is the hotel in the location.... I am using points (or a free night certificate).

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 pm

I sat through one of these timeshare presentations as a 12 year old kid. In hindsight, i found it to be entertaining and educational. To this day, i have never seen a higher pressure sales presentation like this one was. My parents went for the free 2 day vacation and the free grandfather clock. My parents told them that they were interested, but they wanted to go home, discuss, and sleep on it before making a decision. It was fascinating to witness the salesmanship they implemented to get my parents to make an impulse purchase. They even got another salesperson involved to get my parents to bite. In the end, my parents didn't bite and went home with the poorest quality grandfather clock I ever laid eyes on.