H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
dodecahedron

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 am

vtMaps wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:31 am
I have found discrepancies in what HR Block shows on my screen, and what it prints out. Therefore I do not efile state or fed. When I submit a paper tax return and keep a photocopy I know with absolute certainty what the government receives. If I efile, I am not certain what info is sent to the government. I know that the tax software asks for info that does not get printed on a paper return. Some of that info is sent to the government when you efile.

--vtMaps
On rare occasions I have found such discrepancies in the past as well. (I do not remember whether it was Block or TurboTax, but I do recall a significant difference between what showed on the screen and what printed out in a fairly obscure NY tax form for self-employed folks who lived outside NYC but had unincorporated business income earned inside the city.) This caused some not-fun correspondence with NYC tax auditors, but was eventually straightened out. There was a less obscure issue that did not affect me but received a good bit of publicity a few years ago that involved the answer to a question on the Federal education tax credit form--this involved many software providers and was apparently the result of a miscommunication about how blanks vs. zeros would be interpreted on a particular question.

I discussed this general issue with a senior IRS official who was extremely knowledgeable about electronic tax administration. He noted that if you paper file, a low level temporary IRS employee will transcribe your paper return into IRS computers. There are error-checking protocols but the manual transcription error is still significant.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:43 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 am
He noted that if you paper file, a low level temporary IRS employee will transcribe your paper return into IRS computers. There are error-checking protocols but the manual transcription error is still significant.
That has happened to me/us. We got a notice of tax due. When we got a tax transcript, it was plain to see that they entered DW's self employment income twice, on two adjacent lines of the 1040. We wrote back and told them that they made a transcription error. Case closed.

Because we filed a paper tax return, we knew EXACTLY what the IRS would see when they looked at our return again.

The tax software asks for account numbers, employer numbers, etc. This is so that if you efile, that info can be provided to the IRS in lieu of paper W2, 1099, etc. If we efile our returns, we don't know EXACTLY what the IRS is getting.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:02 am

patrickscott wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm

I presume that since the address is preceded by https this a legitimate offer.
Be careful. HTTPS only means that the website is running SSL encryption. It in no way guarantees that its the genuine HRBlock website as its a trivially easy thing for a hacker to setup a fake site with SSL.

In this case hrblock.com IS the legitimate site so it look like you are ok. But never assume.

prd1982

Post by prd1982 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:49 am

vtMaps wrote:
I have found discrepancies in what HR Block shows on my screen, and what it prints out. Therefore I do not efile state or fed.

--vtMaps
Don't the tax packages promise to pay any interest or penalties if caused by an error in their code? Does anyone know of someone who had to pay interest or penalties because of a software error in the tax package?

I know that I review the PDF version of the tax form before I efile. If it looks correct, I trust that the efile version will match. I think being sure the IRS received and accepted my forms is worth the cost.

almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:22 pm

prd1982 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:49 am
vtMaps wrote:
I have found discrepancies in what HR Block shows on my screen, and what it prints out. Therefore I do not efile state or fed.

--vtMaps
Don't the tax packages promise to pay any interest or penalties if caused by an error in their code? Does anyone know of someone who had to pay interest or penalties because of a software error in the tax package?

I know that I review the PDF version of the tax form before I efile. If it looks correct, I trust that the efile version will match. I think being sure the IRS received and accepted my forms is worth the cost.
While I am a bit of a Luddite (did not use a smartphone until 2014 and only because a new employer was paying for it), common sense would suggest that the odds that what the IRS receives in a e-filed return that succeeds is different what you see when you print out your return has to be minuscule compared to the odds that your paper return gets transcribed with an error. I'll put my money on the machine.

Like others, I also use H&R Block federal e-file but am too cheap to spring for the $20 bucks to e-file state. In the past I've always been able to snag the Deluxe + state for under $20 at some point. How low does the Deluxe without state typically go for if you are willing to wait? (Moved to a state without income taxes last year.)

prd1982

Post by prd1982 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:31 pm

almostretired1965 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Like others, I also use H&R Block federal e-file but am too cheap to spring for the $20 bucks to e-file state.
Does your state have a free web site where you can enter your tax information? If so, then you might want the H&R state package. I found that for my state, given the H&R Block print out of my state form, it was easy to fill out the web site state form. Plus you can feel reasonable sure you have it correct if the web site totals (AGI, taxes paid, taxes owed) matches your hard copy. I just have become lazy as I've gotten older, and now just pay for state efile.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 am

prd1982 wrote:
vtMaps wrote:

--vtMaps

No they do not, they just say they'll help you through an audit, and don't specify how

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:31 am

Turbotax was just released this morning and as always I purchased the 2019 Home & Business from Amazon. When I got to the "Retirement Income Area", at that point I got a message "we expect this form to be ready on 1/15/2020. WHAT, it seems Turbotax is now run by young software people that have never heard of the term "year end tax planning" So now I cannot calculate my year end investment sales and Roth conversions I always do to keep within my target tax bracket.

So off to Bogleheads and found this great post, I see a number of you have made the switch to H&R Block software. I've read a few threads about the Tubrobax vs H&R Block and see mixed results. With the discovery of this crippling limitation to the 2019 Turbotax software it is time for me to consider switching, come to think about it, I have run into at least one bug each year in Turbotax for the last few years. To the H&R Block downloadable software users here who are former Turbotax downloadable software users, are you satisfied with H&R Block after switching from Turbotax?

Does anyone have a link to the H&R Block discount offers for either the Premium version or the Premium & Business version?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:41 am

Zephavest wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:31 am
Turbotax was just released this morning and as always I purchased the 2019 Home & Business from Amazon. When I got to the "Retirement Income Area", at that point I got a message "we expect this form to be ready on 1/15/2020. WHAT, it seems Turbotax is now run by young software people that have never heard of the term "year end tax planning" So now I cannot calculate my year end investment sales and Roth conversions I always do to keep within my target tax bracket.

So off to Bogleheads and found this great post, I see a number of you have made the switch to H&R Block software. I've read a few threads about the Tubrobax vs H&R Block and see mixed results. With the discovery of this crippling limitation to the 2019 Turbotax software it is time for me to consider switching, come to think about it, I have run into at least one bug each year in Turbotax for the last few years. To the H&R Block downloadable software users here who are former Turbotax downloadable software users, are you satisfied with H&R Block after switching from Turbotax?

Does anyone have a link to the H&R Block discount offers for either the Premium version or the Premium & Business version?
I'm a TurboTax-to_HRBlock convert, and in no way would I try to convince you to stay with TurboTax. However, if you used TurboTax for TY2018 and still have that program, why not simply use last year's version for your end of year planning. I may be wrong, but I don't think that the tax code has changed much for 2019.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:45 am

Zephavest wrote:
If you can wait until black Friday, check Amazon. By the way, I think that last year, all versions of HR Block had the same forms. The premium versions do more interviewing and hand-holding. If you know what you are doing, use the cheaper versions.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

prd1982

Post by prd1982 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:48 am

nalor511 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 am
prd1982 wrote:

No they do not, they just say they'll help you through an audit, and don't specify how
From the H&R Block site:

If the H&R Block tax preparation software makes an error on your return, we will reimburse you for any resulting penalties and interest up to a maximum of $10,000.

Link: https://www.hrblock.com/guarantees/

snowman

Post by snowman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:47 am

Zephavest wrote:

I am a TT to HRB convert as of 2 years ago. Switched for 2 reasons - didn't like TT functionality/pricing games, and the lack of certain forms for year end tax planning (like you just experienced). Then I saw a thread here on BH that HRB deluxe is available for $15. So I thought why not try it. Last year some nice soul posted here $18 link on BF. This year I am hoping BF price will happen again.

As far as comparison between the 2, I'd say they both do the job well. I think TT interface is more polished, and the interview process is easier to follow, so I can see why beginners would gravitate towards TT. I also like the Forms better in TT. OTOH, if you are experienced user (I am), I find it easier to navigate HRB and get to where I need to go faster (like K-1 or taxable scholarships). So for me personally HRB is better, and lower price is just a cherry on the cake.

Finally, for year end tax planning purposes, I'd say freetaxusa.com is the best (most up to date), closely followed by HRB (generally missing some minor stuff), with TT being distant third (some major omissions sometimes causing serious mistakes).

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:53 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:41 am
I'm a TurboTax-to_HRBlock convert, and in no way would I try to convince you to stay with TurboTax. However, if you used TurboTax for TY2018 and still have that program, why not simply use last year's version for your end of year planning. I may be wrong, but I don't think that the tax code has changed much for 2019.
Hi neilpilot, Thank you for your vote of confidence with the H&R Block software.  Great idea about the 2018 software, that would get me close but the tax brackets and the health spending accounts have been increased for 2019, I'm looking for more precision. Not having the right figures will not allow me to make the maximum Roth conversion while still staying within my target tax bracket.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:58 pm

vtMaps wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:45 am
If you can wait until black Friday, check Amazon. By the way, I think that last year, all versions of HR Block had the same forms. The premium versions do more interviewing and hand-holding. If you know what you are doing, use the cheaper versions.
Hi vtMaps, Thanks for the tips on the Black Friday and Amazon discounts, I will see if I can wait unless someone comes along with a Premium discount link. Regarding HR Block all having the same forms, very interesting, I do have to do a Schedule C so the extra hand-holding would be worth the additional price to me.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:14 pm

snowman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:47 am
I am a TT to HRB convert as of 2 years ago. Switched for 2 reasons - didn't like TT functionality/pricing games, and the lack of certain forms for year end tax planning (like you just experienced).

OTOH, if you are experienced user (I am), I find it easier to navigate HRB and get to where I need to go faster (like K-1 or taxable scholarships).

Finally, for year end tax planning purposes, I'd say freetaxusa.com is the best (most up to date), closely followed by HRB (generally missing some minor stuff), with TT being distant third (some major omissions sometimes causing serious mistakes).
Hi snowman, Great review, thank you. I read one review that said they thought the HRB navigation was to linear, step A, then B, etc., it seemed to infer you could not jump around but your experience says otherwise?

Great tip on freetaxusa.com, I had not heard of them, I will give them a try. I called Amazon and they emailed me the refund process with Turbotax, I was shocked but they have "A 60-day satisfaction guarantee for TurboTax software is offered by the product's publisher, Intuit." I then called Turbotax support and did a screenshare with them, the lady pointed out the message on the screen, "but the IRS is still working on finishing up the Distributions from Pensions, IRA's, etc.". ya, sure, I really believe that, but she was quick to point out Quickbooks does, so I said, now you want me to buy another product, no chance! Then closing the screenshare crashed Turbotax, after all these years they still cannot get it right.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:52 pm

tj wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:35 am
I unfortunately have to file two state returns this year. Does anyone know which of the big 3 will be cheapest to accommodate that?
Same here. Smaller outfits I've seen are free or up to $10 for state filing.
Zephavest wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:53 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:41 am
Hi neilpilot, Thank you for your vote of confidence with the H&R Block software.  Great idea about the 2018 software, that would get me close but the tax brackets and the health spending accounts have been increased for 2019, I'm looking for more precision. Not having the right figures will not allow me to make the maximum Roth conversion while still staying within my target tax bracket.
Are you aiming to hit it on the nail or come in a little below or above? Most thresholds are marginal, so small errors shouldn't be too costly, but I think there are a few high impact thresholds that alter other taxes brackets, so if you're near one of those borders, you need to be a lot more precise.

I have to do several California state forms (along with federal), and many if not most of these offers charge you more down the road. I think it's $20/state return for this deal.

Even the free ones are freemium business models, making money on the back end and relatively expensive add-ons. Plus I looked at several and I'm not confident they're doing the Kiddie Tax correctly. Some seem to be missing the correct form or using old calculation methods. I hope HR Block and TurboTax don't have a problem with this.
Last edited by inbox788 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Zephavest wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:14 pm
<snip>
I read one review that said they thought the HRB navigation was to linear, step A, then B, etc., it seemed to infer you could not jump around but your experience says otherwise?
With the desktop/download version you can jump around quite easily, and also access the forms quite easily. As with TT, I always get the download version (as opposed to online version), since there is more functionality, and you can do more than one tax return (I do many for family members).

I switched from TT to HRB a few years ago. My overall experience is that HRB and TT are pretty similar in functionality. I like that HRB offers free audit support, whereas with TT you have to pay for it (at least that's the way it was when I used TT for many years), but I have no idea what's actually included in that.

I find the foreign tax credit harder to do with HRB than with TT. With HRB, I use my own spreadsheet to keep track of the entries, so I can refer to the previous year to help avoid confusion.

HRB did have a bug last year in the way it splits income into different categories. I can't remember the details, but it either had to do with bond premiums/discounts and/or income that is partially federally tax exempt, state tax exempt, and taxable. The workaround is to split the 1099-INT or 1099-DIV into separate 1099s, one for each income type that is problematical. There is a thread in which I discuss this.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

snowman

Post by snowman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Zephavest wrote:
Hi snowman, Great review, thank you. I read one review that said they thought the HRB navigation was to linear, step A, then B, etc., it seemed to infer you could not jump around but your experience says otherwise?
Not sure where that opinion came from. It's as easy to jump around HRB as it is with TT. They do have different interface but accomplish the same result. I would not let that stop you from trying out HRB.

I will say this: none of the tax software is perfect. They all have some issues. And since each individual tax return is different, different users will have different experiences, and will find that one is better than the other depending on which forms they tend to use.

For example, most people do not have taxable scholarships. I encounter it when doing my kids' tax returns as they both got full ride college scholarships. In TT, there was no "taxable scholarships" entry, and I spent hours researching where to enter that number. Found out there is a manual workaround to enter the number and it's not in a logical place. In HRB, under Income section, there is a category called "taxable scholarships". Wow, why couldn't TT think of that? OTOH, I am sure there are specific cases where TT is better than HRB, it just depends on how complex or unique your tax return is.

As far as year-end projections go, I start them for all of us (and couple friends) as soon as I file taxes in the spring. So I use HRB 2018 to file 2018 taxes, and then create multiple scenarios using the same software for 2019 tax year. Yes, it's not perfect as some numbers do change, but those changes tend to be very minor. That way, I know with 98-99% certainty what our returns are going to be and can make adjustments throughout the year. Once we hit mid-November, the new version comes out (like HRB 2019), and that's what I start using till December 31st for planning purposes, and in the spring for actual filing.

So those last 6 weeks of the year are the most time intensive on my end. After January 1, all I need to do is check that all the forms coming in have the correct numbers on them matching my already completed tax return, and that I am not missing any form. So the actual filing is quick and easy. My guess is that a lot of BHs do the same. However, for general public, this is really unheard of, as most people just gather all the forms sometimes in the spring and either enter them into taxt software, or give them to CPA.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:47 am

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:52 pm

Are you aiming to hit it on the nail or come in a little below or above?

I have to do several California state forms (along with federal)
Definitely aiming to hit it on the nail, I want to maximize my year end Roth Conversion while staying it my tax bracket.

California returns? We sold our home in California in 2017 and I retired. Then we drove as fast as we could to Texas, now we have no state tax! (the reality is the property taxes are higher so it's a wash, but we got out of California, it was worth it!)

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:10 am

snowman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Not sure where that opinion came from. It's as easy to jump around HRB as it is with TT. They do have different interface but accomplish the same result. I would not let that stop you from trying out HRB.

I will say this: none of the tax software is perfect. They all have some issues. And since each individual tax return is different, different users will have different experiences, and will find that one is better than the other depending on which forms they tend to use.

My guess is that a lot of BHs do the same. However, for general public, this is really unheard of, as most people just gather all the forms sometimes in the spring and either enter them into taxt software, or give them to CPA.
Snowman,

Great points, thank you.

I signed up for freetaxusa.com but it still only has the 2018 returns, do you happen to know when they release the 2019 version?

snowman

Post by snowman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:26 am

Zephavest wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:10 am
I signed up for freetaxusa.com but it still only has the 2018 returns, do you happen to know when they release the 2019 version?
Don't know, but they tend to come out just a few days before TT or HRB.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:54 am

snowman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 pm
Zephavest wrote:

I definitely agree that no tax software is perfect. I switched from TT to HRB five or so years ago because TT was forcing me to using an education tax benefit ¨optimizer¨ that would not let me to make the truly optimal choice for me (between Lifetime Learning and the then-existing Tuition & Fees deduction.) I saw a very good deal for HRB posted on Bogleheads and decided to kick its tires (in parallel with my copy of TT for the same year, which I believe I had already gotten for free from Vanguard.) Prior to that point I had been a longtime reasonably satisfied user of TT.

I was a happy camper with HRB. HRB let me do everything I wanted to do that year and the transition was smooth. Since then I have stuck with HRB because it is cheaper (Vanguard no longer gives me free TT!) HRB has great Black Friday deals (as well as other opportunistic times to snap it up at a bargain) and it does the job I need it to do.

But I continue to kick HRB tires every year (I double-check results against the Practice Lab version of TaxSlayer software and against NBER TaxSim model and I also go through it manually line by line to sanity check it.)

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:14 am

I just received a reply from freetaxusa to my question I emailed them earlier this morning:

"Our 2019 software will be available in a couple weeks. You will get an email from us as soon as it is ready, and then you can prepare your 2019 return whenever you'd like!"

(their support ticket system sure is better then Turbotax)

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Zephavest wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:14 am
I just received a reply from freetaxusa to my question I emailed them earlier this morning:

"Our 2019 software will be available in a couple weeks. You will get an email from us as soon as it is ready, and then you can prepare your 2019 return whenever you'd like!"

(their support ticket system sure is better then Turbotax)
I find the online version of Freetaxusa and HRBlock to be far worse than the download version of HRB, for *my* needs. I like to be able to peek into and if necessary edit the actual forms themselves, and see what changes my edits make to the calculations. The online versions do not allow this.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:40 pm

nalor511 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm
I like to be able to peek into and if necessary edit the actual forms themselves, and see what changes my edits make to the calculations. The online versions do not allow this.
Thanks so much, I did not realize that was a limitation of Freetaxusa.

Do they allow you to download a copy of the file in pdf format, one that looks like a regular tax return, similar to the Turbotax pdf files?

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Zephavest wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:40 pm
nalor511 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm
I like to be able to peek into and if necessary edit the actual forms themselves, and see what changes my edits make to the calculations. The online versions do not allow this.
Thanks so much, I did not realize that was a limitation of Freetaxusa.

Do they allow you to download a copy of the file in pdf format, one that looks like a regular tax return, similar to the Turbotax pdf files?
We're not talking about PDF files. The download versions of HRB and TT allow you to jump directly to worksheets and forms that are relevant to the interview topic you're working on. You can often right-click on a number in a worksheet or form, and jump to the worksheet or form the number came from. So you can navigate quickly between the various worksheets and forms that you are interested in, and if you want, you can enter numbers directly on some worksheets and forms. You can't do this with PDF files.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

dcb

Post by dcb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:40 pm

snowman wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:26 am
Zephavest wrote:
From Fretaxus : 2019 limited version is usually available by December.

The full version will be available in January.
dcb

frankandbeans

Post by frankandbeans » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Just noting that another benefit to waiting for the sale on the Amazon downloadable version is that you can use your no-rush shipping credits toward it. Ended up paying $0 for mine last year as a result.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:40 am

Kevin M wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 pm
We're not talking about PDF files.
I guess I was not clear enough when I mentioned pdf files, I'm referring to the capability I use each year in Turbotax, which lets me save reports to pdf, such as:

Form 1040 Individual Tax Return_Key Records
Form 1040 Individual Tax Return_Only Records
Form 1040 Individual Tax Return_All Filing
Form 1040 Individual Tax Return_All Calc Records

These and other choices are presented to you in the Turbotax print selection window where you pick from "What forms would you like to generate?"

I was asking if freetaxusa.com has a similar feature?

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Zephavest wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:40 am
Kevin M wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 pm
We're not talking about PDF files.
I guess I was not clear enough when I mentioned pdf files, I'm referring to the capability I use each year in Turbotax, which lets me save reports to pdf, such as:

Form 1040 Individual Tax Return_Key Records
Form 1040 Individual Tax Return_Only Records
Form 1040 Individual Tax Return_All Filing
Form 1040 Individual Tax Return_All Calc Records

These and other choices are presented to you in the Turbotax print selection window where you pick from "What forms would you like to generate?"

I was asking if freetaxusa.com has a similar feature?
Yes you'll get your return printable at the end, but you won't be able to see any of the individual forms until you've actually "filed" , with the online version, has been my experience. The download versions give you your forms and details at any time.

JPH

Post by JPH » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:29 pm

Just bought and installed it too. Thanks for providing the link.

Every year, including 2019, this program nags me to upgrade my screen resolution every time I launch it. All screens look fine to me so I never mess with it. They say I need at least 1024 x 768 resolution, but my current settings are 1920 x 1080, which Windows says is recommended. Anyone else have this issue? Do you also just live with it?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Can anyone tell me what ‘version’ of the HR Block software I need given that I have: W2 income, 1099-DIV/INT Income, capital losses (8949, Schedule D), backdoor Roth conversion (8606), rental income (Schedule E), and I have to do a part-year return for one state?

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:15 pm

JPH wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:29 pm
Just bought and installed it too. Thanks for providing the link.

Every year, including 2019, this program nags me to upgrade my screen resolution every time I launch it. All screens look fine to me so I never mess with it. They say I need at least 1024 x 768 resolution, but my current settings are 1920 x 1080, which Windows says is recommended. Anyone else have this issue? Do you also just live with it?
Yep, happens to me every time I start the program. I just live with it.

Kevin

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:20 pm

CoastalWinds wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:39 pm
Can anyone tell me what ‘version’ of the HR Block software I need given that I have: W2 income, 1099-DIV/INT Income, capital losses (8949, Schedule D), backdoor Roth conversion (8606), rental income (Schedule E), and I have to do a part-year return for one state?
Any version allows you to prepare all the forms and handle all of the income sources you mention. The more expensive versions give you more guidance with things like Schedule D and Schedule E.

I get the deluxe version with state. If it wasn't less expensive to get the state return this way, I'd probably just go with basic, as I don't find the extra guidance from the more expensive versions particularly useful. The software always nags me to upgrade to Premium, or whatever the next level up is, when I start a return, and I just ignore it.

Kevin

Monster99

Post by Monster99 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:25 pm

CoastalWinds wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:39 pm
I file all of the above except for the Sch. E and I use HRB Deluxe + State. The 2018 version (disc) had all the forms but may be light on the interview for rental property, as they will try to get you to upgrade to business grade (premier) but the forms are in all the software packages.

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:01 pm

This may be shameful but I use HR Block's online software because I like the interview format.

I then go to OnLine Taxes and do my taxes again. I like to be sure the numbers match from one program to another. I then use OLT to file because I like their prices. I think federal and state are about $10 each.
We plan. G-d laughs.

pfrank

Post by pfrank » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:37 am

I just received a link for H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal + State Download for $29.95:

https://store.hrblock.com/checkout/2019 ... oductready

Make sue you uncheck the Extended Download Service (it is an extra $5.99).

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:20 pm

MishkaWorries wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:01 pm
This may be shameful but I use HR Block's online software because I like the interview format.

I then go to OnLine Taxes and do my taxes again. I like to be sure the numbers match from one program to another. I then use OLT to file because I like their prices. I think federal and state are about $10 each.
If the numbers are identical, can you file state only with OLT and save $10/filing? HR Block includes free fed filing. Celebrate and buy yourself a free drink or two with the savings.
pfrank wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:37 am
I just received a link for H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal + State Download for $29.95:

https://store.hrblock.com/checkout/2019 ... oductready

Make sue you uncheck the Extended Download Service (it is an extra $5.99).
Any difference between Windows and Mac version? Are they nearly identical or is one version superior or more advanced? Download forces you to choose one (looks like you get both on CD). Can you download the other version without paying another fee? I couldn't find the answers on their website or searching for comparisons.

pfrank

Post by pfrank » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:39 am

inbox788 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:20 pm
Any difference between Windows and Mac version? Are they nearly identical or is one version superior or more advanced? Download forces you to choose one (looks like you get both on CD). Can you download the other version without paying another fee? I couldn't find the answers on their website or searching for comparisons.
Yes, you have to pick either Mac or Windows. No you can’t go back and request a different operating system. You would have to pay full price again. The Mac and Windows versions are pretty much identical. Note: the $29.95 is for a download of the program. You must pay another $10.99 for the CD. You can burn a backup CD at home.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:02 pm

pfrank wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:39 am
inbox788 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:20 pm
Yes, you have to pick either Mac or Windows. No you can’t go back and request a different operating system. You would have to pay full price again. The Mac and Windows versions are pretty much identical. Note: the $29.95 is for a download of the program. You must pay another $10.99 for the CD. You can burn a backup CD at home.
Guess I'll have to pick which machines I want to use or flip a coin. I don't really need the CD, but saw this for sale which I think is the same HR Block Tax Deluxe software.

H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2019 with 4% Refund Bonus Offer [Amazon Exclusive] [PC/Mac Disc]
https://www.amazon.com/Block-Software-D ... 07XZVRBLY/
Price: $44.99 & FREE Shipping. Details & FREE Returns
This item will be released on November 12, 2019.

[FYI, the 4% refund bonus requires buying amazon gift certificates, so it's like a 4% discount on amazon gift cards, so not very valuable.]

Topic Author
patrickscott

Post by patrickscott » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:21 pm

jharkin wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:02 am
patrickscott wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm

I presume that since the address is preceded by https this a legitimate offer.
Be careful. HTTPS only means that the website is running SSL encryption. It in no way guarantees that its the genuine HRBlock website as its a trivially easy thing for a hacker to setup a fake site with SSL.

In this case hrblock.com IS the legitimate site so it look like you are ok. But never assume.
Thanks!

avei

Post by avei » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:42 am

I started using HRB last year. I used TaxAct for a very long time until SecondStory was sold and the price games began. I tried TurboTax but found it cumbersome and limited. I am self employed and have several different income streams to manage and pay tax on. Last year, I built a spreadsheet based on the prelim IRS stuff to figure out my quarterlies and 941s which actually came fairly close to the same answers as HRB did.

Thinks I liked: menus and access to forms.
Like others I do not efile. Printed paper forms are easy to copy, audit, retain and digitize and store off site, and you know every dot of ink on them just in case, not so with the digital transmission. The chain of custody is lost as soon as you punch the upload button.

So, I decided to preorder HRB this year when the message came out. I ran it tonight and found a bug. At least I hope its a bug. No worry, I'll just send 'em an email and they can deal with it. Only problem: no email and support hours are limited to when I'm working. I do work long days, but I think it is a significant problem when a company cannot provide a contact method other than the phone or a chat which is closed in the evening. The lack of ability to easily communicate efficiently is a bit of a show stopper. I don't require a response, but there should be a way to let them know they have an out of date parameter in their program without having to call them at their convenience and wait for them to answer the phone.

If anybody here knows how to reach them let me know.

As for the bug, it has to do with IRA contributions for 2019. We contribute after tax funds to a traditional IRA then roll that over immediately to a Roth IRA. HRB actually knows how to do this and create the 8606 non-deductable IRA contribution and Roth IRA rollover. But, the just downloaded 2019 version set the 2018 cap of $5500 + $1000 catch up and limits it to $6500 instead of the $7000 it should be. It calculates an over contribution penalty on the $7000. This is no big deal, this early, but I like to have a very close estimate of my final quarterly tax payment so I can fire off the return and the final tax payment on January 15 and be done with it.

Nice site guys and informative thread from a newbie that has a Vanguard acct and funds, but I'm not sure I'm smart enough to be a bogglehead. thanks.

snowman

Post by snowman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:36 am

dcb wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:40 pm
snowman wrote:
Zephavest wrote:

dcb
FreeTaxUSA 2019 is now available.

RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:43 am

snowman wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:36 am
dcb wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:40 pm
snowman wrote:
Zephavest wrote:

dcb
FreeTaxUSA 2019 is now available.
That’s great! Thanks!

Funny I just contacted FreeTaxUSA support yesterday and they said likely December. :o

Monster99

Post by Monster99 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 pm

avei wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:42 am
I started using HRB last year. I used TaxAct for a very long time until SecondStory was sold and the price games began. I tried TurboTax but found it cumbersome and limited. I am self employed and have several different income streams to manage and pay tax on. Last year, I built a spreadsheet based on the prelim IRS stuff to figure out my quarterlies and 941s which actually came fairly close to the same answers as HRB did.

Thinks I liked: menus and access to forms.
Like others I do not efile. Printed paper forms are easy to copy, audit, retain and digitize and store off site, and you know every dot of ink on them just in case, not so with the digital transmission. The chain of custody is lost as soon as you punch the upload button.

So, I decided to preorder HRB this year when the message came out. I ran it tonight and found a bug. At least I hope its a bug. No worry, I'll just send 'em an email and they can deal with it. Only problem: no email and support hours are limited to when I'm working. I do work long days, but I think it is a significant problem when a company cannot provide a contact method other than the phone or a chat which is closed in the evening. The lack of ability to easily communicate efficiently is a bit of a show stopper. I don't require a response, but there should be a way to let them know they have an out of date parameter in their program without having to call them at their convenience and wait for them to answer the phone.

As for the bug, it has to do with IRA contributions for 2019. We contribute after tax funds to a traditional IRA then roll that over immediately to a Roth IRA. HRB actually knows how to do this and create the 8606 non-deductable IRA contribution and Roth IRA rollover. But, the just downloaded 2019 version set the 2018 cap of $5500 + $1000 catch up and limits it to $6500 instead of the $7000 it should be. It calculates an over contribution penalty on the $7000. This is no big deal, this early, but I like to have a very close estimate of my final quarterly tax payment so I can fire off the return and the final tax payment on January 15 and be done with it.

Nice site guys and informative thread from a newbie that has a Vanguard acct and funds, but I'm not sure I'm smart enough to be a bogglehead. thanks.
I would think that the program is not real current yet - last year I think the last update for 2018 tax year was March of 2019....

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:40 pm

avei wrote:
<snip>
So, I decided to preorder HRB this year when the message came out. I ran it tonight and found a bug. At least I hope its a bug. No worry, I'll just send 'em an email and they can deal with it. Only problem: no email and support hours are limited to when I'm working.
<snip>
I poked around a bit last year and could not find a way to report the bug I ran into (which I mentioned earlier).

Kevin

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Kevin M wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:40 pm
avei wrote:
<snip>
So, I decided to preorder HRB this year when the message came out. I ran it tonight and found a bug. At least I hope its a bug. No worry, I'll just send 'em an email and they can deal with it. Only problem: no email and support hours are limited to when I'm working.
<snip>
I poked around a bit last year and could not find a way to report the bug I ran into (which I mentioned earlier).

Kevin
I reported a bug via their online chat, and they didn't fix it with the next 2 updates, so I just experimented and found a way to work around it (changed a value from 0 to 1 in my case)

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Find HRB on Facebook and report it there.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:12 pm

When does Amazon usually list their special price offer?

Monster99

Post by Monster99 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Almost there wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:12 pm
When does Amazon usually list their special price offer?
Around Black Friday....