Track external accounts (bonds) on Fidelity

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
pp206

Track external accounts (bonds) on Fidelity

Post by pp206 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:54 pm

Hello,

I am trying to track all my accounts on Fidelity to take advantage of their portfolio analysis tool.
I am planning to not "link" external accounts. I will instead enter their value manually.
I need to track 3 types of bonds:
  • I-bonds I bought on treasurydirect.gov
  • I-bonds owned by my wife for which we don't have any online access
  • Paper EE-bonds owned by my wife which we have in our possession
How do I acheive this on Fidelity?

I am adding a Taxable Investment via Full View > add account > no online login > investment > taxable investment.

From there, I don't know what to enter in Holdings to represent the bonds.

BoomerM3

Re: Track external accounts (bonds) on Fidelity

Post by BoomerM3 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:53 pm

I am using Full View to track CDs (not in my Fidelity account). But, I only enter the total of thc CDs - not each CD.

In Full View, after you add the account (assume the I-bonds), select EDIT, then enter the total amount of that group of bonds. Repeat with new accounts for each group of bonds.

This will track back to the Analysis tab of the main part of the Fidelity screen. You can see all the accounts by clicking on the "xx of yy Accounts Selected."

Hope this helps.

Topic Author
pp206

Re: Track external accounts (bonds) on Fidelity

Post by pp206 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Thank you BoomerM3.

How does the system know which asset class these accounts represent? Obviously from a portfolio management perspective it would be important to know which external accounts are cash, bonds, stocks, etc.. Additionally it would be helpful to know whether they are US or foreign stocks for example.