How to prevent shoe creases?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
notmyhand

How to prevent shoe creases?

Post by notmyhand » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:11 pm

I’m finding myself replacing shoes 2-3 times a year due to creases which look unprofessional. Is there a way to prevent creases, short of not bending over to pick anything up? Are more expensive shoes less prone to creasing? Trying to figure out the most economical way to wear leather shoes.

Silk McCue

Re: How to prevent shoe creases?

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:26 pm

This appears to be a well-informed writeup.

http://custommade.com.sg/blog/4-factor ... event-them

Cheers

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Shoe trees...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:46 pm

notmyhand wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:11 pm
I’m finding myself replacing shoes 2-3 times a year due to creases which look unprofessional. Is there a way to prevent creases, short of not bending over to pick anything up? Are more expensive shoes less prone to creasing? Trying to figure out the most economical way to wear leather shoes.
Replacing a pair of shoes because they are creased is probably not warranted. It’s a bit like replacing a car because of a flat tire.

The recommendation of using a shoe tree is excellent.

Heavy creasing can sometimes be attributed to excessive wax/polish buildup. Stripping off the old polish and repolishing carefully can do wonders.

Carefully wetting the leather with water and then drying them on a shoe tree can often rejuvenate even severely creased shoes. Check out the YouTube channels “The Elegant Oxford” and “Kirby Allison” for tips on creased leather shoes.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:42 pm

I wore sandals the last 10 years of my career.

No creases!

I can only assume you are not in tech.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:13 am

I guess I'd be surprised if----all things being equal----others are really assessing-judging you and your appearance based on whether or not there are creases in your leather shoes. Just my "two cents."
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:55 am

notmyhand wrote:
As other have noted, some creasing is normal, though shoe trees help. Are you seeing wear in specific area of pressure? (E.g., a bony prominence on your foot). If so, it might help to have the shoe stretched by a cobbler.

IME, higher quality leather lasts longer, but without knowing what you're wearing now it's hard to say whether that's your problem. Every two to three months suggests either cheaper shoes or very high standards though.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 am

Change your gait so that your feet never bend or flex. Should look very natural.

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:17 am

notmyhand wrote:
not sure of the style shoes you like, but i found that a 'cap toe' made a big difference in appearance. any creasing occurred 'behind' the cap toe and was less obvious.
FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX - CD - CASH - canned beans - rice

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:18 am

I wore dress shoes for decades. Allen-Edmunds for most of the years but for me, the best routine was to use shoe trees religiously, try not wear the same pair two days in a row and use shoe cream and polish frequently to keep the leather supple. My shoes would typically last years if taken care of. A-E had a good re-crafting program that brought old shoes back to life. Not sure if they still do that.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:27 am

jebmke wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:18 am
I wore dress shoes for decades. Allen-Edmunds for most of the years but for me, the best routine was to use shoe trees religiously, try not wear the same pair two days in a row and use shoe cream and polish frequently to keep the leather supple. My shoes would typically last years if taken care of. A-E had a good re-crafting program that brought old shoes back to life. Not sure if they still do that.
+1

https://www.amazon.com/Woodlore-Adjusta ... B002VWKREO

Or the Ministry of Silly Walks.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:37 am

notmyhand wrote:
Is there a way to prevent creases? Trying to figure out the most economical way to wear leather shoes.
Reframing: Dealing with shoe creases

BLOW DRY
Place on shoe tree. Remove laces. Hold dryer 3-6 inches from shoes. Massage creases. Polish.
Note: Make sure shoe tree is correct size, as this blow dryer method is also how you stretch shoes.
Note: Heat may darker leather, so don't blow dry light-colored shoes.

I've heard of people steaming (suede and nubuck) and even ironing shoes, but I've not ventured into those solutions.

h82goslw

Post by h82goslw » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:46 am

Sconie wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:13 am
I guess I'd be surprised if----all things being equal----others are really assessing-judging you and your appearance based on whether or not there are creases in your leather shoes. Just my "two cents."
+1

BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 am

It all depends on the shoes, but I would use shoe trees. I am lucky, I'm a minimalist and wear inexpensive shoes that look expensive and I own a uniform wardrobe. I don't care what people think of me or my clothes. However, I am still sane enough to realize that in a professional job environment, you can not do what I do. I am always neat looking, but I wear the same outfit everyday. Black shirt and Black pants and black shoes. I own five of the same shirt and five of the same pair of pants.

In my younger days (early 20s to 30s) I was into fashion and I bought expensive shoes. It is funny that my cheaper shoes hold up better then the expensive ones. But I digress, I added more information then you asked for, so I'm guessing shoe trees.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:27 am

jebmke wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:18 am
yes, this exactly

Caveat is that it's impossible for recrafting to eliminate the creases completely, but the shoes will still look a lot nicer than they were.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/discover/o ... fting.html

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:13 am

How many pairs of shoes are in your rotation?

If you're only wearing one dress shoe day after day without a break or a shoe tree to help dry them out, it will dramatically shorten the lifespan of the shoe.

I would suggest two pairs of shoes as being a minimum to wear during the work week. You can rotate them so that you are wearing one pair Mon, Wed, Fri and the other pair Tue, Thurs and switch them up the following week.

Invest in some shoe trees, one for each pair and a shoe horn so you can slip them on easier.

five2one

Post by five2one » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:46 am

^^^ This is good advice.

For my leather shoes, they are stored with shoe trees, polished regularly, and I have sufficient quantity to rotate them daily.
My formula is one style basically requires at least two pairs depending on level of work to allow them to air out.
Some styles have three different pairs but I move around a lot during the day.

That said, for my crocs, I have one pair but no fabric so I can just hose them off, I love them, so comfy. :mrgreen:

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:21 am

How long do you have to let them air out before you put the shoe tree in? I would assume the tree would block circulation.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:46 am

Ping Pong wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:21 am
How long do you have to let them air out before you put the shoe tree in? I would assume the tree would block circulation.
I used cedar shoe trees which help remove the moisture and absorb odors. I didn't wait.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.