What workout equipment to get?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
notmyhand

What workout equipment to get?

Post by notmyhand » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Looking to get more exercise at home but all of the equipment seems to be so costly. Ideally looking for one piece of cardio and one piece for strength training that can hit a variety of muscle groups. Any recommendations? Brands that are worth the price?

minimalistmarc

Re: What workout equipment to get?

Post by minimalistmarc » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:00 pm

A kettle bell and body weight exercise will do. Or just body weight exercises.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Would it be cost effective to buy gym membership? It's $25 a month for a national chain that you can also use while traveling.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Do you live in a geographic location where you can buy a pair of running shoes and run outside for a few hours a week?
minimalistmarc wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:00 pm
A kettle bell and body weight exercise will do. Or just body weight exercises.
A few years ago I transitioned to body weight exercises after doing free weights for many years. It's been good. One problem I see with this is that you already have to be in pretty good shape, otherwise weights offer more flexibility for those who aren't very strong.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:07 pm

If $ is a concern, I'd ditch the idea of a "piece" of cardio equipment. Depending on the budget, it could be as simple as a $20/pair of gymnastics rings and somewhere to mount them. Pullups, rows, pushups, dips, 1-leg squats, Bulgarian split squats, countless core movements...I have a garage gym that costed more than my car new, but I get some fantastic workouts with just my rings.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:09 pm

You don't need a lot of equipment. A few simple free weights/ dumb bells. A pull up bar secured to a doorframe. Two chairs with arms for bar dips.

You can get into shape just as well with a minimalist approach as with $6000 worth of exercise equipment.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:17 pm

I bought a Titan power rack:
(Note: research the correct model to buy for your available space and work out needs)
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Power-Squa ... B00GHNLK9E

Then got a weight set from the local sporting goods store, Academy

Also got a couple benches. I went with Rep fitness:
https://www.repfitness.com/

Your local store may have some good deals, I found those to be good value.

Added some dumbells from local store. I can do most of the exercises that I'd normally do at a full gym.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:25 pm

H-Town wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:04 pm
Would it be cost effective to buy gym membership? It's $25 a month for a national chain that you can also use while traveling.
I don't know the OP's budget. But personally, I like having a gym membership.

And before someone says (generally correctly) that you can do a lot with body weight exercises, and/or a small set of equipment there are two things I like about going to the gym:

1) They have far more pieces of equipment than I could possibly buy. The key thing here is boredom. I can switch around between a lot of different exercises.
2) I find it motivating to have people around. I always found it hard to do a weight workout by myself at home. Though I enjoyed running by myself.

A good gym also gives you access to some instruction if desired, and a variety of classes one might find interesting.

chevca

Post by chevca » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:48 pm

notmyhand wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:57 pm
Looking to get more exercise at home but all of the equipment seems to be so costly. Ideally looking for one piece of cardio and one piece for strength training that can hit a variety of muscle groups. Any recommendations? Brands that are worth the price?
Running shoes... a jump rope... a barbell with some weights.... and your body weight. :happy

Really though, we need to know more info. Do you have space for a rowing machine, a treadmill, a squat rack, etc.? Or, do you want to stick this stuff in a closet when not in use?

Designairohio

Post by Designairohio » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:16 pm

I came up with a workout that works for me,
all I use is a treadmill and an infrared sauna

I call it my 3-30-30-30

3 minutes walking at 1% incline then I jump off and do 30 push-ups back on the treadmill for 3 minutes at 2% incline, off for 30 more pushups I do 7 sets takes about 30 minutes (210 pushups) heart rate is up in target range most of the 30 minutes.
Then I jump in the sauna for 30 minutes and my workout is done for the day. My heart rate stays over 100 bpm the whole time I’m in the sauna,

Try it you’ll feel strong and energized all day I do and I’m 60 years old,
I’ve had trainers and gym memberships, never had the results I have with this workout
Treadmill cost $950
Sauna $1100

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:26 pm

notmyhand wrote:
Ailments
Goals, short and long term

All things to be considered.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Planner01

Post by Planner01 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:31 pm

I have a treadmill, adjustable weights, a medicine ball, a weight ball, kettlebells, a rolling foam for stretching and resistance bands.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:35 pm

I go the gym 5 days a week even now that I am a "young" old man; mostly for weight lifting; I stretch 6 days a week at home. I go to a gym since I get bored and have to have variety in both weight lifting and aerobic exercise - I prefer to row for the latter; the gym is a good motivator; seeing what others are doing helps me change up my routine. If I had to choose, however, I would choose dumbbells and a rowing machine. Couple those with a good stretching and balance routine at home and a lot of yard work, it might just work. Gym memberships are incredibly cheap these days, the norm where I live is $50 a year membership with $10 a month. If you live near a university, those are usually great gyms and alumni often get discounts. Many like to swim, I don't, but that is a great workout.

I will add that I have cervical stenosis (neck) and spinal stenosis (lower back). I also have peripheral neuropathy with no response in the left foot, and only pain in the left. Keeping fit is the key to keep all of your muscles strong and flexible.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h82goslw

Post by h82goslw » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:42 pm

I have lots of equipment in my basement and have lifted weights for years. But since I found this website I feel even stronger. Workouts ranging from beginner to expert, with and without weights.

darebee.com

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:48 pm

notmyhand wrote:
Looking to get more exercise at home but all of the equipment seems to be so costly....
Not as costly as you think if you want to visit garage sales and craigslist. You can find like new equipment on sale by people who got the urge to get in shape, loaded up on expensive equipment, and gave it up after a few months.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Maven

Post by Maven » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:03 pm

The TRX is the best piece of equipment out there. You can find it for $100 or nearly identical generic versions for closer to $50. It is appropriate for every age and ability and takes up very little space. It's ideal for your strength training component but can also be effective for cardio. (For what it's worth, I have a degree in Exercise Science, several nationally recognized certifications and have been a personal trainer for close to 20 years.)

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:46 pm

A spinning bike can be purchased for a reasonable amount.

Fantastic workout. I paid $100 for a mid range one from Craigslist.

Compact for space.
“People don’t want advice, they want confirmation.” Unknown

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:16 pm

notmyhand wrote:Looking to get more exercise at home but all of the equipment seems to be so costly. Ideally looking for one piece of cardio and one piece for strength training that can hit a variety of muscle groups. Any recommendations? Brands that are worth the price?
For cardio you can get a NordicTrack ski machine for about $600 new, $400 used. It will definitely get your heart rate up and is easy on the joints.
Last edited by Duckie on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BelVita

Post by BelVita » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Look into a Concept 2 rower

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:53 pm

For many years before moving to a community with a full gym I had a home gym setup in an extra bedroom of my home. I found that the convenience of having it readily available in my home resulted in it being used much more often.

Over the years I had a few machines but for the last ten years or so settled on a treadmill, an elliptical and a compact home gym. The treadmill and elliptical were somewhat redundant but provided additional variety, then there was the fact that I preferred the treadmill and my wife preferred the elliptical. :)

Based on that experience my recommendation would be a compact home gym (see Body Solid 1500S) and either a treadmill or elliptical. I got a great deal on my treadmill at Costco. For the other two I shopped around at local fitness machine stores for sales.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

lgb

Post by lgb » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:04 am

I would recommend getting a set of Powerblock adjustable dumbbells for your strength training - they should last forever and there is always a buyer for them near what you paid for them, and they take up almost no space (unlike having various sizes or plates) - and use the JeFit application to customize a dumbbell only strength training program or follow the many available from there.

For cardio - might look into a Concept II Rower - they are solid and is great for cardio

Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:00 am

I have a Concept 2 D rower, a Schwinn Aero-Dyne stationary bicycle and a TRX. If I could only have one, it would be the rower. If I did not have the space for a rower or bicycle, I would be well-served by the TRX. I bought my TRX on sale, but there are a lot of companies making the same concept for cheaper.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:02 am

Buy a pickleball paddle for $80.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:29 am

bengal22 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:02 am
notmyhand wants to exercise at home. I don't think the paddle will do much good there.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:57 am

lgb wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:04 am
I would recommend getting a set of Powerblock adjustable dumbbells for your strength training - they should last forever and there is always a buyer for them near what you paid for them, and they take up almost no space (unlike having various sizes or plates) - and use the JeFit application to customize a dumbbell only strength training program or follow the many available from there.

For cardio - might look into a Concept II Rower - they are solid and is great for cardio
I also recommend the power blocks. I am not a fan of buying cardio equipment. If you are a cyclist, buy a cycle trainer for the back wheel, but overall I worry about exercise being a fad and being stuck with gym gear. Too many people buy, for example, an expensive peloton bike that gathers dust.

As a frugal Boglehead, I think that I want to spend my money on health. I recommend a total body workout class or private training with a good gym. Learn the basics then your decision making will be informed.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:29 am
bengal22 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:02 am
notmyhand wants to exercise at home. I don't think the paddle will do much good there.
Half the fun of pickleball is social. Good to get out to work out and meet people.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:27 pm

FoolStreet wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:57 am
lgb wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:04 am

I also recommend the power blocks. I am not a fan of buying cardio equipment. If you are a cyclist, buy a cycle trainer for the back wheel, but overall I worry about exercise being a fad and being stuck with gym gear. Too many people buy, for example, an expensive peloton bike that gathers dust.

As a frugal Boglehead, I think that I want to spend my money on health. I recommend a total body workout class or private training with a good gym. Learn the basics then your decision making will be informed.
Gotta agree. When I turned 55 I was plain tired. I was a lifelong cyclist, usually about 25 to 50 miles a week, and walker about 4 miles a day to and from work for 30 years at that point. I went to the doctor and he simply said go to the gym. I did. I hired a trainer to walk me through every piece of equipment and coach me on form; its not good to be able to use a treadmill or curl 30 lbs if your form is off and it can seriously injure you. I could work out at home, but there is not the variety and the motivation of seeing folks working out. And there is a social aspect to it, but I really don't take advantage of that. In fact, just last week started doing a new back exercise based on what I saw a trainer showing someone. You have to mix it up otherwise the body adapts and some muscles simply get weak and others strong and you get out of balance. But if I had to choose, I would still choose dumbbells to maintain and build muscle mass.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:33 pm

I bought an X-Mark weight bench and the Bowflex adjustable dumbbells (plus stand) a couple of years ago. If I remember, all in it was less than $600. Even though each dumbbell only goes up to 52.5 pounds, I still get a great workout doing a push/pull/legs program about 3 times a week. For cardio I just run a few miles around my neighborhood a couple of days a week. I had a couple of health issues crop up that slowed my progress, but following this program religiously this year I’ve lost over 25 pounds and am in much better shape overall (much more toned even though the weight loss hasn’t been as dramatic as I would have expected).

My limited with home cardio equipment is that it takes up too much space, is expensive, and usually doesn’t get used long term, so don’t have any great advice on that.

Tortoisesque

Post by Tortoisesque » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:39 pm

If I want to install a power rack in my garage (for barbell lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press, and overhead press), what would be the absolute minimum total floor area I would need for maneuvering and moving plates on/off from the side? Space is very limited in my house.

I can look up the dimensions of various power racks, but I don't yet have a good sense of how much space I'll need around the perimeter of the rack.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:54 pm

I would first determine how much space you have and then shop. They come in different sizes and some are wall mounted which will determine distances. In addition, you have to decide if you are going to use a 7' barbell or a 6' international barbell which is actually 7' but the sleeves are different. You will also need room for the bench in a flat position if you are going to use a bench with it, if you use a cable attachment, you might not have room for a bench. I've never lifted barbells with much weight without a spotter, so you will need room for the spotter and for him/her to back up out of the way if there is a problem. Commercial weight equipment sellers usually sell to individuals and often have older equipment in excellent condition.

My guess is, and this is a guess, 5 foot in the back and front and 3 on each side, that is if you are using a bench. The manuals might say how much room to provide.

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:07 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:48 pm
notmyhand wrote:
Looking to get more exercise at home but all of the equipment seems to be so costly....
Not as costly as you think if you want to visit garage sales and craigslist. You can find like new equipment on sale by people who got the urge to get in shape, loaded up on expensive equipment, and gave it up after a few months.
Also Facebook Marketplace and any other local site. I found a $2,500 recumbent step-through bike on our local site for $200. Had barely been used.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:11 pm

H-Town wrote:
Lets do the math.
15 mins to get there each way
3x/week
50 weeks/year
50/hr opportuntiy cost
= 3650/year and we haven't paid for membership or wear and tear on the car. The real cost though is when you don't exercise because of the lack of convenience. You don't do that 30 min bike/run/row/... session because you don't have the hour to do it when you have to add in travel time. I wouldn't recommend the home gym to a person who isn't in the habit of exercising. You end up with too many people with good intentions but who fail to use the gear. For the people though who have been exercising for years, they work great.

What to get is way too personal. Everyone has their favorite cardio method. And strength training isn't much better. For the average person (i.e. you aren't training to be in the NFL or Mr. Olympia), you can get decent strength gains with anything from TRX, dumbells, machines, barbells, rubber bands, or just body weight.

furikake

Post by furikake » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:31 pm

If you have to get a piece of cardio equipment, I'd recommend a c2 rower. I don't use my bike or the elliptical much at all, but I use my rower for cardio. It tells me that I burn less calories compared to the elliptical but I feel like I get a better workout with the rower. For strength training, I can't do much now since I was diagnosed with multiple neck problems, so I do what I can, with lower body exercises, with dumbbells and resistance bands, and body weight. Used to use a bench, but have since stopped because of my neck.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Another vote for the Concept 2 for cardio, I bought for my kids who all row, now I use it too. Reliable too, many millions of meters on it, never an issue. And, as an advantage, easier on the joints as you age.

So you plunked $1000 on that for cardio, for strength, I'm a big fan of body weight, so, a power tower, they range $150-$300, you need a high ceiling. That gets you pull ups, bar dips, and knee raises, you can do push ups and sit ups already.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:32 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:11 pm
H-Town wrote:
Lets do the math.
3x/week
50 weeks/year
50/hr opportuntiy cost
= 3650/year and we haven't paid for membership or wear and tear on the car. The real cost though is when you don't exercise because of the lack of convenience. You don't do that 30 min bike/run/row/... session because you don't have the hour to do it when you have to add in travel time. I wouldn't recommend the home gym to a person who isn't in the habit of exercising. You end up with too many people with good intentions but who fail to use the gear. For the people though who have been exercising for years, they work great.
So, if you do find a gym -> find one close to work (or home) especially along your commute between home and work so that you aren't spending "15 mins to get there each way". Should also just about eliminate wear and tear on the car.

Interesting that you aren't advocating for either home gym or a commercial gym but rather seem to highlight negatives of both with no benefits listed.
What to get is way too personal. Everyone has their favorite cardio method. And strength training isn't much better. For the average person (i.e. you aren't training to be in the NFL or Mr. Olympia), you can get decent strength gains with anything from TRX, dumbells, machines, barbells, rubber bands, or just body weight.
Agreed...for the most part (depending on what you consider "decent strength gains" as that can easily max out to a very limited total gain without some form of progressive overload after the immediate novice gains).

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Kettle bell. Rings. Pull up bar. Something to do dips on.

Squat is the best exercise, not sure how one would do that at home. Maybe goblet squat with the kettlebell.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Whatever you choose to get, use Craiglist. You can find like-new barely ever used stuff there all the time for 10% of the original price. People just want it out of their house. Beware though, treadmills and ellipticals can be MONSTERS to move on your own. Heavy and bulky. You may need a commercial grade hand truck and lots of helpers.

I have a concept-2 rowing machine that I love. My wife has an elliptical and a treadmill and a recumbant stationary bike that she rotates around. Mostly uses the elliptical and bike. We also have a kickboxing bag.

We have kids and live in a suburban area not super close to gyms so much easier to just work out at home. But we also have a large finished daylight basement with lots and lots of space.

Honestly, if you are new to working out, your best bet is probably to go to an established gym and find a personal trainer to help you design workouts to suit you and spend some time on all the various machines and such. Then you'll have a better idea what sort of equipment will suit you.

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:41 pm

Unless you already have an at home exercise regimen, i would suggest that you buy no at home exercise equipment. Most people who have no established exercise routine, and think that buying a piece of equipment will motivate them to start, usually end up having an expensive inefficient clothes dryer.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:52 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:11 pm
H-Town wrote:
Lets do the math.
3x/week
50 weeks/year
50/hr opportuntiy cost

Geez! Do you calculate the opportunity cost when you watch TV, surf internet, or hang out with people? The time that you want to do something, you don't count it as opportunity cost.

By the way, $50/hr is pretty low ball. Should start with $400.

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:53 am

It may seem expensive, but it’s priceless. The Concept2 Rowing Machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Concept2-Perform ... 230&sr=8-1

cuendillar

Post by cuendillar » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:39 am

I've been using weights and doing cardio for years. I use free weights (squat rack, bench, deadlift, etc.) and some cardio (elliptical and treadmill; also try to actively hike, walk, and bike as opportunity allows).
Personally if I had to recommend something for someone who wants the ability to work out at home or basically anywhere, I would suggest resistance bands. A "full" kit is available at online retailers for about $30 and they can be used anywhere, with a wide array of exercises, and with enough resistance for most goals (e.g. weight loss or strength gain).
If you want to "budget up", get a squat tower that doubles as a pull-up / chin-up platform. The squat tower will run about $200 new, maybe $100 used off craigslist. A set of free weights, including a bar, will run another $150 new and probably much less on craigslist.
For cardio, the least expensive is to go outside. If you are overweight, walk until you get the weight down, then you can try jogging and such.
And again, if you want to budget up, toss in an elliptical, rower, stationary bike, or treadmill that suits your style. Personally I'd go to a exercise supply store (not a gym because they will try to rope you in to a membership incessantly for the rest of your natural born life) and try each, see which one you like.
Lastly, for most people it's not the lack of exercise that causes much of the problem, it's the diet they choose to eat. I urge anyone that wants to be in control of their weight / health to try one of the free online diet apps (e.g. myfitnesspal; livestrong) and track what you eat. See where you are in terms of in/out. Too much? Too little? Get a real overview of your intake and combine that with exercise. Live longer and be more functional as you age.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:50 am

For cardio, I would youtube HIIT workouts - they're pretty intense, will get the heart going big time and free :)

For weights, a good set of adjustable dumbbells is always good

hand

Post by hand » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:05 am

You really need to decide (or disclose) how likely you are to continue with your in-home exercise - is this a purchase in hopes of exercising, or a purchase that will be used for multiple years and is worth investing in. As with many things, there is a false economy in not buying quality - if you'll use it.

If you're just trying it out, suspension trainers (rings / TRX / Humantrainer) are relatively small, cheap, flexible and well liked by many.

If you're investing for the longhaul, Concept2 has several great options for cardio, Powerblock and Ironmaster have quality adjustable dumbells (and kettlebells) and there are a number of quality brands that focus on quality value for racks, weights and barbells (Fringe, Rep, Vulcan Strength).

Black Friday is a traditional sale point for home fitness equipment, and as noted above much equipment can be found used at a significant discount.

There's a whole cottage industry of helping buyers fit out their "garage gyms" and balance cost / quality / space / function.

five2one

Post by five2one » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:42 am

Before you buy equipment, what are your goals?

I am a serious exercise enthusiast and have used a broad variety of programs from no equipment with just body weight, to include yoga, all the way to needing a fully equipped professional gym.

I prefer a gym plus outdoor exercise but this is more that just staying out of the grave for me.
You can hurt yourself with and without weights, it is all about technique.

bago

Post by bago » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:08 am

It's hard to say with understanding your comfort level, goals, and budget. However, if you are considering free weights, I would start with a bench that can be adjusted to be flat, decline, or incline all the way up to 90 degrees and a set of adjustable dumbbells.

For example, there are the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells (5-52 lbs) or (10-90 lbs) and the Bowflex 5.1S Stowable Bench:
https://www.bowflex.com/selecttech/1090/710000.html
https://www.bowflex.com/accessories/5.1 ... 00675.html

(Feel free to choose a different brand. I'm just using this as one option.)

If you are willing to spend more money, my favorite piece of equipment is a power rack by Hoist Fitness. However, this will require you to purchase free weights too. I have an older version of the Hoist Dual Action Smith rack. You can exercise your entire body with this in a pretty safe manner. See:
https://www.hoistfitness.com/collection ... tion-smith

For free weights, you might want to check out Body-Solid at https://www.bodysolid.com/home/ost/stee ... ympic_sets.

Mr. Gatti

Post by Mr. Gatti » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:14 am

chevca wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:48 pm
notmyhand wrote:
Running shoes... a jump rope... a barbell with some weights.... and your body weight. :happy

Really though, we need to know more info. Do you have space for a rowing machine, a treadmill, a squat rack, etc.? Or, do you want to stick this stuff in a closet when not in use?

This. I have a couple of dumbbells, a jump rope, a bike, and some running shoes. Get whatever you will actually use. $50 of equipment that gets used 3-4 times a week for 30-45 minutes is worth far more than $1,000 of equipment that is going to end up collecting dust.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:36 am

If you want to go cheap to see how you will keep with it you can get dumbbells, a bench, a mat and a hard foam roller. That covers almost everything except the aerobic portion which can be handled by stairs, walking, running, power walking and so forth. Years ago, our first bench was just three cinderblocks and a 1x12x6 piece of lumber with foam nailed to it. It all stored well when not in use.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:47 am

Tortoisesque wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:39 pm
If I want to install a power rack in my garage (for barbell lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press, and overhead press), what would be the absolute minimum total floor area I would need for maneuvering and moving plates on/off from the side? Space is very limited in my house.

I can look up the dimensions of various power racks, but I don't yet have a good sense of how much space I'll need around the perimeter of the rack.
Barbells are all about 7' long so 8' wide space will be the minimum. If you get a rack like the Titan X-2, it's only about 2'-3' deep. A squat stand like the Rogue SML-2 is about 4' deep. If you have 6'x8' of space, I think that would be doable...you'd really need to economize with plate storage on the rack.

Edit to add: Depending on how tall you are and where you're lifting, you'll need 8'+ of overhead clearance to do a standing overhead press. I have read people say they press in an unfinished basement with a bunch of 10lb plates on the bar so that the plates go between the joists.
Last edited by simplesimon on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hand

Post by hand » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 am

Tortoisesque wrote:

A "shorty" barbell is about 6 feet, and I'd think a half foot on either side would be workable but tight, so 7 feet at an absolute minimum, but more space would be more comfortable. I have my rack and 6 foot bar in a 10 foot wide (but slightly obstructed) which is excessive.

Do note that in addition to shorty barbells, there are a number of folding racks and storage options that minimize floor space when not in use.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:16 pm

hand wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 am
Tortoisesque wrote:

A "shorty" barbell is about 6 feet, and I'd think a half foot on either side would be workable but tight, so 7 feet at an absolute minimum, but more space would be more comfortable. I have my rack and 6 foot bar in a 10 foot wide (but slightly obstructed) which is excessive.

Do note that in addition to shorty barbells, there are a number of folding racks and storage options that minimize floor space when not in use.
What bar and rack do you have? Shorter bars, in the case of Rogue's C-70, will not fit in a standard power rack. Or the sleeves of the bar are too short to put much weight on them for deadlifts.