Overland brand slippers for cold feet?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Theseus
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

Overland brand slippers for cold feet?

Post by Theseus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:33 pm

I am looking to buy a pair of slippers for cold feet for fall and winter. Overland has some good collection of Merino Sheepskins on their website. And Eddie Bauer has some Shearling slippers as well. Overland look really nice on the website (I don't have their stores close to where I live).

Anyone with first hand experience with them?
Last edited by Theseus on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft
Posts: 68136
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by livesoft » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:48 pm

I don't know anything about those things, but I sleep in Heat Holders acrylic super fluffy socks as well as goose down socks when I am out backpacking in the snow. My feet are always toasty warm no matter what the temperature. The Heat Holders cost about $10 and need no special washing: just toss in with any other laundry you have.

But maybe you are writing about slippers?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
Theseus
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by Theseus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:13 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:48 pm
I don't know anything about those things, but I sleep in Heat Holders acrylic super fluffy socks as well as goose down socks when I am out backpacking in the snow. My feet are always toasty warm no matter what the temperature. The Heat Holders cost about $10 and need no special washing: just toss in with any other laundry you have.

But maybe you are writing about slippers?
Thank you. It is mostly about cold feet. I thought (based on my earlier posts and other posts about this) sleeper is the best solution. But I am not opposed to trying out the socks first. Do you know which goose down socks you use?

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 9425
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:42 pm

When my kids played ice hockey, I spent many hours in ice rinks. Especially in the summer, I wound up wearing shorts or jeans with an UnderArmor top. I discovered that I was fine as long as I was wearing merino wool socks (SmartWool or Darn Tough are my favorite brands).
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

livesoft
Posts: 68136
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by livesoft » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:43 pm

I don't think the brand of goose down socks is important. By "socks" I mean that these are not for walking around in. They are for sleeping or hanging around the house or tent.

My socks are made by GooseFeetGear
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
Theseus
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by Theseus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:52 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:42 pm
When my kids played ice hockey, I spent many hours in ice rinks. Especially in the summer, I wound up wearing shorts or jeans with an UnderArmor top. I discovered that I was fine as long as I was wearing merino wool socks (SmartWool or Darn Tough are my favorite brands).
I am a big time Merino fan. I have the expedition Smartwool socks that I use for winter hikes. But around the house they are still somewhat cold as I am not that active.

User avatar
mhc
Posts: 4016
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: NoCo

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by mhc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 pm

My wife's feet and legs get cold at night. I let her wear my light weight running stocking cap. Keeping the head warm increases blood flow to the rest of the body.

stoptothink
Posts: 6363
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by stoptothink » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:36 pm

mhc wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 pm
I let her wear my light weight running stocking cap. Keeping the head warm increases blood flow to the rest of the body.
That's a long-held myth. When it comes to loss of body heat or circulation, there is nothing special about the head (compared to any other body part).

User avatar
mhc
Posts: 4016
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: NoCo

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by mhc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:42 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:36 pm
mhc wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 pm
I let her wear my light weight running stocking cap. Keeping the head warm increases blood flow to the rest of the body.
That's a long-held myth. When it comes to loss of body heat or circulation, there is nothing special about the head (compared to any other body part).
It's a myth that if you keep your head warm that it won't help with your feet? I don't believe that. The head loses a lot of heat. If you keep your body from losing that heat, it should help with the entire body.

I made no claim to any special about the head. I do know that when most people sleep, they do not cover their heads. Covering the head helps retain body heat.

stoptothink
Posts: 6363
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by stoptothink » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:45 pm

mhc wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:42 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:36 pm
mhc wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 pm
I let her wear my light weight running stocking cap. Keeping the head warm increases blood flow to the rest of the body.
That's a long-held myth. When it comes to loss of body heat or circulation, there is nothing special about the head (compared to any other body part).
It's a myth that if you keep your head warm that it won't help with your feet? I don't believe that. The head loses a lot of heat. If you keep your body from losing that heat, it should help with the entire body.

I made no claim to any special about the head. I do know that when most people sleep, they do not cover their heads. Covering the head helps retain body heat.
Yes, it's a myth, and there really isn't even a clear known origin. When it comes to loss of heat, the head is no more important than any other part of the body. Keeping your head warm has no more influence over the temperature of your feet than does keeping your hands (or any other body part) warm.

https://www.livescience.com/34411-body- ... -head.html
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/fea ... -our-heads

But, otherwise yes, as long as the rest of your body is covered as well, covering your head (or any other part of the body) may keep one from losing body heat.
Last edited by stoptothink on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperGrafx
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by SuperGrafx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Are we talking about slippers or sleepers?

Topic Author
Theseus
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by Theseus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 pm

SuperGrafx wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:48 pm
Are we talking about slippers or sleepers?
slippers...corrected my post

Dave55
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Re: Overland brand slippers for cold feet?

Post by Dave55 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:14 pm

I have been in several of the Overland stores and I did buy a pair of UGG slippers that were sheepskin and very warm. The Overland brand items all looked very good too.

Dave

Dave55
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Re: Overland brand slippers for cold feet?

Post by Dave55 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:14 pm

delete

OnTrack2020
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am

Re: Overland brand slippers for cold feet?

Post by OnTrack2020 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:48 pm

I don't think you will go wrong with Overland. My husband bought a hat (trapper style) from them several years ago. It is the warmest hat we have around here.

andypanda
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Overland brand slippers for cold feet?

Post by andypanda » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:43 am

I don't know a thing about Overland, but my wife is 64 and says L.L. Bean's Wicked Good Moccasins are the best wool slippers she's ever had. She'd wear them to bed if I'd let her.

dbr
Posts: 30597
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Overland brand sleepers for cold feet?

Post by dbr » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:49 am

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:45 pm


But, otherwise yes, as long as the rest of your body is covered as well, covering your head (or any other part of the body) may keep one from losing body heat.
It is probably true that covering the head will help more than trying to add more clothing elsewhere if one is already well dressed. If one is only wearing a cotton t-shirt the addition of a fleece (indoors) and windbreaker (outdoors) will probably count for more than putting on a wool cap.

It is true that putting on a wool cap can help indoors in a cold room, but I wouldn't go so far as to suggest one can then go bare foot comfortably. I personally find that lined or down footwear is too hot indoors, but everyone differs.

I do know that a good rule to follow in any travel in rough country where there may be bad weather is to always have a warm hat and mittens tucked away in case.

bb
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:04 pm

Re: Overland brand slippers for cold feet?

Post by bb » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:36 am

If you are looking for good cushion I bought slippers from Olukai (good cushion + fuzzy inside). I didn't want a fuzzy inside because for me they are too warm but couldn't find (good cushion + non-fuzzy inside) - so (good cushion + fuzzy inside) won out. They have a very substantial removable cushion.

Post Reply