Visible Wireless (Verizon Subsidiary)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Arthur Digby Sellers

Visible Wireless (Verizon Subsidiary)

Post by Arthur Digby Sellers » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with Visible Wireless, a subsidiary of Verizon? I’m looking for a new carrier, and their $40 unlimited data/calls/text deal is intriguing. It apparently uses Verizon’s network, and the speed caps that used to apply were supposedly eliminated a few months ago. No physical stores, but I don’t think I need that.

There must be a catch—what is it? Slow data speeds despite the supposed lack of a cap?

Silk McCue

Re: Visible Wireless (Verizon Subsidiary)

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:14 pm

If you haven’t already done so read this review from tomsguide.com

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/visible-wi ... -6036.html

Cheers

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Consumerist Clark Howard recommends it.

Topic Author
Arthur Digby Sellers

Post by Arthur Digby Sellers » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:01 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:14 pm
If you haven’t already done so read this review from tomsguide.com

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/visible-wi ... -6036.html

Cheers
Helpful, thank you.

bpr

Post by bpr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 pm

I have visible for about a year. Service is good if there is verizon coverage in your area. Customer service sucks.

NDS

Post by NDS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Is it truly 40/month, or “plus taxes and fees” that goes more towards 50. Review on reddit suggest that it won’t have access to Verizon 3g network so if in rural area won’t be good?

NDS

Post by NDS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Is it truly 40/month, or “plus taxes and fees” that goes more towards 50. Review on reddit suggest that it won’t have access to Verizon 3g network so if in rural area won’t be good?

msi

Post by msi » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:39 am

NDS wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:47 pm
The $40 price includes taxes and fees.

Visible doesn't offer 3G, but Verizon is planning to shut down their 3G network by the end of next year anyway https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/3g- ... -id/753147

There are certainly plenty of complaints about the customer service on reddit, though. That's one reason I haven't tried it yet.

Momus

Post by Momus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:42 am

It's great but I don't use unlimited data.

I'm on mint mobile $20/mo 8GB (way too much for my need), I got it for free coz I refer more than 20 ppl/yr. No cell phone bill here.

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 am

I am paying about $40/line using Verizon directly. I had considered Visible, and also looked at latest deals from Verizon. Visible is prepaid so no credit check, probably their way to sell to lower credit customers. I had read Visible does not sell/support iphone, only Android, not sure why/how that is possible, if it’s the same network. something to confirm, if you can bring your existing phone or must buy one of theirs.

usa

Post by usa » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:50 am

beyou wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 am
I am paying about $40/line using Verizon directly. I had considered Visible, and also looked at latest deals from Verizon. Visible is prepaid so no credit check, probably their way to sell to lower credit customers. I had read Visible does not sell/support iphone, only Android, not sure why/how that is possible, if it’s the same network. something to confirm, if you can bring your existing phone or must buy one of theirs.
I use Visible on my iPhone 8

nocturne

Post by nocturne » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:12 pm

I switched to Visible from AT&T postpaid three months ago. Have been happy so far. Voice coverage is good for me in the Seattle area. Data speeds are slower for me sometimes, to the point where sites load noticeably slowly.

For me it’s a reasonable trade off for the cost savings. $40 all-in for unlimited voice, data and tethering.

The biggest missing piece is no coverage in Canada to Mexico.

The one time I needed customer service was when visual voicemail wasn’t working. I contacted them via online chat and it was fixed in under 3 minutes.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Arthur Digby Sellers wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:16 pm
Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with Visible Wireless, a subsidiary of Verizon? I’m looking for a new carrier, and their $40 unlimited data/calls/text deal is intriguing. It apparently uses Verizon’s network, and the speed caps that used to apply were supposedly eliminated a few months ago. No physical stores, but I don’t think I need that.

There must be a catch—what is it? Slow data speeds despite the supposed lack of a cap?
Look at Consumer Cellular. Unlimited talk, text, and then you pick a data plan. No contracts. Very low cost. They resell T-Mobile and AT&T networks. Travel the country and never have any problems using the AT&T network.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"