Hardie Siding Nailing at window trim location

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
alemiss

Hardie Siding Nailing at window trim location

Post by alemiss » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:34 pm

I read that Hardie plank siding ends have to land on a stud and have to be nailed.
My confusion is the following:
If window trims are 4inches or 5 inches wide or even 3 inches wide, and they are usually installed first before the siding, how can the end of a plank that butts against the window trim be nailed to a stud? Wouldn’t the trim effectively cover and block out the studs behind the sheathing?
Is that end of the plank sufficient being nailed only to the plywood sheathing?

CAsage

Re: Hardie Siding Nailing at window trim location

Post by CAsage » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 pm

I installed this on a freestanding building once. I think that the plywood sheathing will take care of the issue, since you are at least grabbing wood, and not letting the ends float.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:54 pm

I'm a professional painter and I've painted my share of Hardie board. On the jobs I've been associated with, it seems they simply nail the hardie board to the plywood sheathing. You should get plenty of bite with this manner.

As a painter, we typically caulk where the siding meets the window trim because it doesn't look finished if you don't. The caulking will also serve as a stabilizer and give the joint a bit of strength. You should caulk first and then paint for best results.

Topic Author
alemiss

Post by alemiss » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:25 pm

Thank you guys for your replies. I was hoping that I wasn't overthinking this, but I guess my concern is well placed.

It's odd the Hardie installation manual doesn't specifically mention this. They know under normal framing, only about 2 studs exist on each side of the window or door, a cripple and a Jack stud. The combined thickness is 3 inches, which will be covered by the window trim.

Anyways, I guess I will just nail it to the sheathing. Thanks again.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm

CAsage wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 pm
I installed this on a freestanding building once. I think that the plywood sheathing will take care of the issue, since you are at least grabbing wood, and not letting the ends float. And I caulked each tier of the siding to the window trim as I went up the wall....
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:13 pm

I think you have received reasonable responses, but you can also try calling the Hardie customer service number and ask, or see if there is a contact form on their web site.