Subaru and the oil consumption problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DartThrower

Subaru and the oil consumption problem

Post by DartThrower » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:29 pm

My wife's Forester has been diagnosed with the oil consumption problem as mentioned (lower down) in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=191241

There was a class action lawsuit against Subaru for this issue for her model and year, but the suit only applied to the manual transmission version. She has the automatic. Nevertheless the dealer agreed to replace the short block free of charge. This was the same remedy prescribed by the lawsuit, however the lawsuit also provided for an extension of the warranty to 100k miles.

The dealer took a few weeks to replace the short block and claimed to have tested the car. I picked it up and drove the 35 minutes back home. When I slowed down after driving that distance I started to hear a vague clicking sound coming from the engine. The problem only became noticable when the engine warmed up.

Back to the dealer it went.

The dealer had to replace the entire short block a second time. The original oil consumption problem was first diagnosed by them in May and it's now September. When we asked why everything was taking so long the dealer replied that they were being "meticulous". On the plus side we got to drive some really nice loaner cars over the summer!

Is it reasonable to ask for a warranty extension to 100k miles similar to the class action settlement? The car currently only has 40k miles on it and has now had major surgery twice. We contacted Subaru of America and so far they have refused. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
A Boglehead can stay the course longer than the market can stay irrational.

Teague

Re: Subaru and the oil consumption problem

Post by Teague » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:34 pm

If Subaru refused, I think that's your answer. I see no way the dealer would put themselves on the line (if that's what you're asking about) for paying for potentially unlimited repairs until 100K miles. Maybe they would offer a few oil changes in the name of customer good will.
Semper Augustus

msi

Post by msi » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:39 pm

I don't think Subaru will agree to that.

Personally, I would just get rid of the car at this point. That's a lot of hassle for just 40k miles.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:48 pm

This was a common issue and really not that big of a deal when fixed properly. I wouldn't worry about an extended warranty and doubt the dealer would offer something direct. Not sure how valuable a dealer warranty would be anyways.

Topic Author
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. Other than the oil problem the car didn't have any major issues so I will be reluctant to take the financial hit by selling it earlier than planned. It is still under its powertrain warranty to 60k miles. The dealer itself has been a major disappointment as well as the car.

johan_s

Post by johan_s » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:15 pm

My ‘13 Forester had the excessive oil consumption issues also and had the short block replaced. It took numerous oil consumption tests and some elevation beyond the dealer to corporate, but it finally happened. The dealer kept telling me it passed and I showed time stamp dated photos that it failed every single time it wasn’t a dealer test. SofA did nothing, then gave me $150 service credit. It failed on my watch again. I finally told SofA that I had no recourse but to contact a lawyer. They offered to pay for ‘one more’ dealer oil consumption test. And magically, it failed dramatically on the next dealer test. (3 times the amount dictated by the settlement, just like my own documentation.)

Short block replaced: the oil consumption has decreased significantly. I’ve put about 30K miles on since. No other issues. I have noticed, both before and after the replacement, that the Boxer engine is by far the noisiest engine I’ve ever had. That said,

Aside from the struggle to get the short block replaced, it has been an outstanding vehicle. I’m planning on driving it blows up.

Topic Author
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 pm

johan_s wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:15 pm
My ‘13 Forester had the excessive oil consumption issues also and had the short block replaced. It took numerous oil consumption tests and some elevation beyond the dealer to corporate, but it finally happened. The dealer kept telling me it passed and I showed time stamp dated photos that it failed every single time it wasn’t a dealer test. SofA did nothing, then gave me $150 service credit. It failed on my watch again. I finally told SofA that I had no recourse but to contact a lawyer. They offered to pay for ‘one more’ dealer oil consumption test. And magically, it failed dramatically on the next dealer test. (3 times the amount dictated by the settlement, just like my own documentation.)

Short block replaced: the oil consumption has decreased significantly. I’ve put about 30K miles on since. No other issues. I have noticed, both before and after the replacement, that the Boxer engine is by far the noisiest engine I’ve ever had. That said,

Aside from the struggle to get the short block replaced, it has been an outstanding vehicle. I’m planning on driving it blows up.
Thanks johan. That gives me some hope the car will be a good car once the short block issue is resolved (and we switch dealers).