Does anyone have a dishwasher they recommend?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dottie57

Re: Does anyone have a dishwasher they recommend?

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:37 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:06 pm
Recent thread about dishwasher recommendations you might find useful:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=269999&p=4669249&h ... r#p4669249

I posted in it that I like my 9-year old Asko DW. Stainless steel interior, quiet, low energy/water usage, and cleans well. It’s a European model so it takes time to dry and it doesn’t have a food grinder. I scrape loose food off dishes before loading. Only issue was a clogged drainage hose due to a couple pistachio shells that got wedged in there due to lack of grinder).

ETA: in addition to the utensil caddy on bottom rack, it has a 3rd rack in center for utensils, silverware, lid covers, etc.
I have an 11 yo Asko which has had zero problems. Expensive but works well. Mine drys just fine. It has 2 racks not 3.

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:37 am
HomeStretch wrote:

I posted in it that I like my 9-year old Asko DW. Stainless steel interior, quiet, low energy/water usage, and cleans well. It’s a European model so it takes time to dry and it doesn’t have a food grinder. I scrape loose food off dishes before loading. Only issue was a clogged drainage hose due to a couple pistachio shells that got wedged in there due to lack of grinder).

ETA: in addition to the utensil caddy on bottom rack, it has a 3rd rack in center for utensils, silverware, lid covers, etc.
I have an 11 yo Asko which has had zero problems. Expensive but works well. Mine drys just fine. It has 2 racks not 3.
Is your unit made in Sweden or Slovenia?

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 am

We got a Bosch 300 series last year and it's great. We got it for under $500.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:18 am

johnnyc321 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:36 pm
Avoid Samsung. Ours is a year old and it constantly smells rancid. It's a very common problem according to my Google searching.
+1

Or should I say -1, because I also dislike it.

It is quiet, and very energy efficient. Samsung makes good products.

But if they stop working, it's very hard to get someone to fix it. The warranty team doesn't return calls or answer their phone. Local repair shops don't want to touch it. The electronics panel shorted out, and was expensive to replace. I stopped it from smelling funny by sanitizing it once in a while. It also is fine if you don't use it and let it dry out. But even with occasional use, it's starting to get glitchy and not run a full cycle.

We're going to be looking for a new dishwasher soon, but I'm trying to stretch this until it dies. We got about 9 years out of a cheap builders grade GE dishwasher, and another 6 years out of the Samsung (with one expensive repair). We should have kept the low-end GE, because it was still working.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am

anoop wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 am
Dottie57 wrote:
HomeStretch wrote:

Sweden.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:24 am

New Buying Guide from Consumer Reports lists GE Profile at top of list, and it is less costly ($800) than many others. We have it, and it works fine but is noisier than ideal.

Tim

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am
anoop wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
HomeStretch wrote:

Sweden.
General reports are that their quality is subpar since they moved production from Sweden to Slovenia in 2013. Asko was sold to Gorenje, a Slovene company in 2010, and in turn, as of 2018, Gorenje is 95% owned by Hisense, a Chinese company. Subzero Wolf has been servicing Asko, but they now have the Cove dishwasher, so at least according to the sales guys SZW may drop support at any time and they no longer recommend Asko. The Cove doesn't have great reviews.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:37 am

anoop wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 am
Dottie57 wrote:
anoop wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
HomeStretch wrote:

Sweden.
General reports are that their quality is subpar since they moved production from Sweden to Slovenia in 2013. Asko was sold to Gorenje, a Slovene company in 2010, and in turn, as of 2018, Gorenje is 95% owned by Hisense, a Chinese company. Subzero Wolf has been servicing Asko, but they now have the Cove dishwasher, so at least according to the sales guys SZW may drop support at any time and they no longer recommend Asko. The Cove doesn't have great reviews.
I am so sorry to hear that. I love my Asko DW. It seems the world of appliances is in a world of hurt.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:52 am

We don’t care for our Bosch.

Pros: it’s very quiet. Like, stand right next to it and not be sure if it’s running quiet.

Cons: everything else.

If you run it on a cycle approaching a reasonable time (like an hour) the dishes aren’t even close to clean. To get them clean and not sopping wet I have to run it on “extra scrub” and “extra dry”, which makes the cycle almost 3 hours long. Maybe if you don’t use many dishes that’s not a burden, but we cook a lot. Now if we forget to run it at night it’s a real pain to catch up.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 am

Bosch

CHXRAVEN

Post by CHXRAVEN » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Over the last five years I have owned/used Miele, Bosch and KitchenAid dishwashers. The Miele was great but stupid expensive. The Bosch (mid-tier, likely 300 series) is pretty quiet and cleans great. The KitchenAid (high tier) is super quiet and cleans well. Purchased all through Abt in Chicago, which has a good website for comparing brands/models, with reviews.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:00 pm

ScubaHogg wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:52 am

Pros: it’s very quiet. Like, stand right next to it and not be sure if it’s running quiet.

If you run it on a cycle approaching a reasonable time (like an hour) the dishes aren’t even close to clean. To get them clean and not sopping wet I have to run it on “extra scrub” and “extra dry”, which makes the cycle almost 3 hours long. Maybe if you don’t use many dishes that’s not a burden, but we cook a lot. Now if we forget to run it at night it’s a real pain to catch up.
Newer dishwashers use less water and less energy. Average normal cycle times tend to be 2+ hours. Many have express cycles that are less but only good for well scraped/rinsed dishes. There is no new high efficiency dishwasher that has a normal 1 hour cycle.

If we scrape the dishes well our Bosch does fine on the express cycle which is around an hour. Oddly enough, the heavy duty cycle is not much longer than the normal cycle.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:14 pm

We've had a Miele dishwasher in our past three homes and absolutely love them. The first one was in Germany and the second and third were installed after whatever came with the home died. They work great, are very quiet, and are generally dependable. I'd also say they are good for the environment because whenever they do need repaired, you do it because they are much too pricey to just junk.

Here's a link to their USA range of washers: https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/dishwashers-1529.htm

LilyFleur

Re: It's the Detergent that is Key!

Post by LilyFleur » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:25 pm

jay99 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:59 pm
Its the detergent that is most important....use Cascade Professional for Fryer Boil Out...it is Cascade's old formula the phosphates in this mixture keep the contents of the "fryer" ha ha "dishwasher" spotless. You can buy this stuff on Amazon. Made a world of difference with my new dishwasher.
Would this work well with very hard water? I almost never use my dishwasher because my glasses and stainless steel get so cloudy. I was using Lemi Shine in the main wash dispenser and regular Cascade in the pre-wash but now have switched to using Lemi Shine for both.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:37 am
anoop wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 am
Dottie57 wrote:
anoop wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:

Sweden.
I am so sorry to hear that. I love my Asko DW. It seems the world of appliances is in a world of hurt.
+100

My 9-10 year old ASKO dishwasher is great.

gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:52 pm

The cheap model with a control knob. Our current one is a lower cost Fridigare model from Lowe's. It replaced a Whirlpool that came with the new build house that died on it's second control PCB.

Though, both the Frigidare and Whirlpool seem to have weak coatings on the wire racks, which when cracked lets in water and rust to set in.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:06 pm

General Electric.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:48 pm

Majority of Consumer Reports recommended models are Bosch.

If you want a third rack, go with Bosch. Otherwise, KitchenAid or Bosch. Stay away from Samsung/LG. Aim for 42db or lower if noise is a concern.

I have the 40db SHPM88Z75N and you can't tell if it is running or not. Only indication it is running is an occasional water drainage noise. Drys completely except for plastic which affects all dishwashers.

ScubaHogg wrote:

I believe all dishwashers these days have long cycle times.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 pm

I has to be at least 10 years ago, we bought a Siemens (made by Bosch) for no other reason than it seemed way better made slamming doors and looking inside and out than the other brands in the same mid-level price range.

Still going great, does the job and is pretty darn quiet. Sleek minimalist design too.
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

psy1

Post by psy1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:51 pm

We went through two Bosch dishwashers. We liked them because they were much quieter than what we were used to. However, capacity is relatively low. We were annoyed that they seem to die after 7 years. This time we got a top end Kitchen Aid. It is just as quite, works a little better, and has more capacity. I would get another Kitchen Aid.

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:58 pm

When we have little money, we bought used dishwashers for $25 from a nearby store. Some lasted a year or two, one lasted two weeks (and one was never any good, so we replaced it after a month). Some of them made so much noise you had to shout in the next room to be heard. When our savings recovered, we bought a new model of the best brand we had experienced: a Bosch. That was about 9 years ago now and it's been running strong ever since.

Marylander1

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:54 am

seawolf21 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:48 pm

If you want a third rack, go with Bosch. Otherwise, KitchenAid or Bosch. Stay away from Samsung/LG. Aim for 42db or lower if noise is a concern.

I have the 40db SHPM88Z75N and you can't tell if it is running or not. Only indication it is running is an occasional water drainage noise. Drys completely except for plastic which affects all dishwashers.

ScubaHogg wrote:

I guess it depends what you mean by long. My last dishwasher was a 10 year old Whirlpool and its cycle was about an hour. I just went to the whirlpool website and the first dishwasher that came up was advertising a 1 hour cycle.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:02 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:00 pm
ScubaHogg wrote:

Newer dishwashers use less water and less energy. Average normal cycle times tend to be 2+ hours. Many have express cycles that are less but only good for well scraped/rinsed dishes. There is no new high efficiency dishwasher that has a normal 1 hour cycle.

If we scrape the dishes well our Bosch does fine on the express cycle which is around an hour. Oddly enough, the heavy duty cycle is not much longer than the normal cycle.
Maybe. But I just went to the Whirlpool website and the first dishwasher I saw was advertising itself as a Energy Star dishwasher with a one hour cycle (WDF520PADM).

It could also be that Bosch has insanely long cycle times for everything, but that Bosch fans don’t notice. We saw that staying at a family member’s house. We did a load of laundry in their Bosch washer. It went on and on and on. I think that my clothes might still be going thru the wash/dry process all these years later.

The more I use Bosch the more I dislike it. Our house also came with this insanely fancy microwave. But it literally can’t pop popcorn. Not that it doesn’t do a great job, it can’t do it. Maybe a dozen kernels will pop and then burn. Everything else will just remain a kernel. And that’s in the “popcorn” setting. I googled around some and apparently it’s a problem.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:34 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:02 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:

Maybe. But I just went to the Whirlpool website and the first dishwasher I saw was advertising itself as a Energy Star dishwasher with a one hour cycle (WDF520PADM).

It could also be that Bosch has insanely long cycle times for everything, but that Bosch fans don’t notice. We saw that staying at a family member’s house. We did a load of laundry in their Bosch washer. It went on and on and on. I think that my clothes might still be going thru the wash/dry process all these years later.

The more I use Bosch the more I dislike it. Our house also came with this insanely fancy microwave. But it literally can’t pop popcorn. Not that it doesn’t do a great job, it can’t do it. Maybe a dozen kernels will pop and then burn. Everything else will just remain a kernel. And that’s in the “popcorn” setting. I googled around some and apparently it’s a problem.
If you look at the manual for that Whirlpool, the normal cycles is 2 hours and 32 minutes. Bosch has an Express cycle which according to my manual is 30 minutes. It is not a normal cycle. Do you want a $300 Whirlpool dishwasher that is done in 1 hour and doesn't get anything clean? It is not like you have to sit there and watch the machine run and babysit it.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:35 am

seawolf21 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:48 pm

ScubaHogg wrote:

We have a Bosch 800 dishwasher at home, and we put Bosch Ascenta in our rentals. Bosch's reliability has been subpar, as we had 4 service visits in the first year and have even had to replace the control board. It was all covered under warranty, but did not exactly inspire a lot of confidence in Bosch. Likewise, Bosch's customer service leaves a lot to be desired, as the reps are frequently rude and dismissive, and the wait times for a service appointment are 2 weeks or so.

I tried submitting a review with my experience on Bosch's website, but the review was rejected. Bosch moderates consumer reviews on its website, and rejects many negative reviews. So, the reviews that you see on Bosch's website are there for marketing purposes.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:34 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:

If you look at the manual for that Whirlpool, the normal cycles is 2 hours and 32 minutes. Bosch has an Express cycle which according to my manual is 30 minutes. It is not a normal cycle. Do you want a $300 Whirlpool dishwasher that is done in 1 hour and doesn't get anything clean? It is not like you have to sit there and watch the machine run and babysit it.
That’s my point. My last whirlpool had an hour cycle where everything was clean. This Bosch has a 60 min cycle which does nothing. I don’t know about the new whirlpool I linked, that was a quick search. But since it emphasizes the 60 min cycle I’d hope it works better than this Bosch.

My complaint about the long cycle time is if you go through a lot of dishes and forget to run it at night (and run it in the morning), by midday your kitchen is cluttered. There is just no room to forget to run it.

Now we will run it much less than full simply if there is an opportunity window, because dishes might get out of control the next time you get a chance. Unlike most things in my life, dishwashers are becoming *less useful*, not more.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:12 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:

That’s my point. My last whirlpool had an hour cycle where everything was clean. This Bosch has a 60 min cycle which does nothing. I don’t know about the new whirlpool I linked, that was a quick search. But since it emphasizes the 60 min cycle I’d hope it works better than this Bosch.

My complaint about the long cycle time is if you go through a lot of dishes and forget to run it at night (and run it in the morning), by midday your kitchen is cluttered. There is just no room to forget to run it.

Now we will run it much less than full simply if there is an opportunity window, because dishes might get out of control the next time you get a chance. Unlike most things in my life, dishwashers are becoming *less useful*, not more.
When was your last whirlpool?

Look for Be Prepared to Wait in following link.

https://www.consumerreports.org/dishwas ... ishwasher/

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:18 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:

If you don't rinse your dishes, letting them sit overnight isn't helping. My dishwasher has a half load option. We try to keep on top of it and not let things sit too long so the crud dries on the dishes. Some people find dishwashers to not be of much value. I use mine all the time and would be lost without it. We use a lot of glasses which always come clean. We tend to wash heavily soiled pots and pans by hand. If we rinse/scrape the dishes we find the Express cycle works. If they are heavily soiled it doesn't work. If things are really dirty I use the Heavy Duty cycle. If 90%+ of the things come out clean and I have to hand wash a few things, I still feel I've saved time.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:48 am

Whirlpool - 13 years. Builder installed. Worked very well, but LOUD.
GE - 16 years.Replaced at kitchen remodel. Worked very well, but LOUD.
Samsung - 9 months. Works very well, and quiet. (no bad smell noted at this time).

For whatever reason we just haven't had any issues with our dishwashers. The current dishwasher isn't used as frequently as the earlier dishwashers, as generally DW and I are the only ones messing up dishes/pot & pans. Plus, there is a whole lot less cooking going on! :(

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:24 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:18 am
If we rinse/scrape the dishes we find the Express cycle works. If they are heavily soiled it doesn't work.
I agree it should, but something about this Bosch it doesn't.

As for leaving them overnight, that's not the plan. I'm saying that with these very, very long cycles if I don't remember to run it at night (or the instant it's full), by the time the cycle is done the next day I've got at least two meals worth of dishes sitting around waiting to be loaded.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:26 pm

seawolf21 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:12 am

When was your last whirlpool?

Look for Be Prepared to Wait in following link.

https://www.consumerreports.org/dishwas ... ishwasher/
It was in our last house, which we moved out of a few months ago. It's whatever they installed when it was built in '09, couldn't say the model number. Normal cycle was about an hour long and the dishes were clean. Doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Part of the reason the high efficiency dishwashers take longer is they don't have a heating element to dry the dishes.

Afty

Post by Afty » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:59 pm

We have a Miele that came with our house. It's been great. Very quiet and does a great job cleaning even with unscraped dishes and very dirty pots. Have not had an issue in the 2 1/2 years we've lived in this house.

It does take about 3 hours for a cycle, but as we've seen in this thread, that's par for the course with today's more efficient dishwashers.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:24 pm

I failed yesterday to talk my wife into a mid-priced Whirlpool.

So I guess we're now on the Bosch bandwagon. I hate bandwagons. They're the prime opportunity to cost-reduce a product too far.

A local store with a good reputation for support matched the big box store sales price for us (except for delivery cost). ~$850 after tax for a 300 series.

The dishwasher that was in our house when we bought has always done a poor job cleaning, even though there seems to be nothing wrong with it. However, I recently found out from digging up the manual that even though it is 15 years old, it has cleanliness sensor, so the problem was probably in part the fact that both of us grew up with the expectation that dishwashers can't handle dried-on food or significant caked on food.

I'm going to test my theory before the new one arrives to see if leaving the dishes dirtier really does cause it to run a longer cycle and clean better.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:24 pm
I failed yesterday to talk my wife into a mid-priced Whirlpool.

So I guess we're now on the Bosch bandwagon. I hate bandwagons. They're the prime opportunity to cost-reduce a product too far.

A local store with a good reputation for support matched the big box store sales price for us (except for delivery cost). ~$850 after tax for a 300 series.

The dishwasher that was in our house when we bought has always done a poor job cleaning, even though there seems to be nothing wrong with it. However, I recently found out from digging up the manual that even though it is 15 years old, it has cleanliness sensor, so the problem was probably in part the fact that both of us grew up with the expectation that dishwashers can't handle dried-on food or significant caked on food.

I'm going to test my theory before the new one arrives to see if leaving the dishes dirtier really does cause it to run a longer cycle and clean better.
Now that you have switched over to following the instructions in the manual, you will probably find that dishwashers can live up to that catchy name we give them!

But will your wife also follow the instructions?

PS: But I have noticed that recent dishwashers are designed to be quieter and not as good as dealing with soiled dishes. They are leaving out the grinders and the filters clog after a while if you leave a moderate amount of food on the dishes. I think marketing figured out that most people pre-rinse in the sink and basically don't expect the dishwasher to work.

Post by 1789 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:00 pm

We have a Samsung dishwasher and we are happy with it
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

cmwahl

Post by cmwahl » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:12 pm

We have had a Bosch midrange since we built the house 17 years ago. It was soooo quiet, did a great job cleaning and dishes dried if you let it comp,etc it’s cycle. It died the week of Thanksgiving. Many tear were shed. We bought another Bosch, an 800 series from Lowe’s on Black Friday. Lowe’s delivered it yesterday and my hubby installed it today. First load was quieter than out past one. It has a red light that shines on the floor so you can see it’s running. I love the third shelf which is adjustable side to side. It has more cycles than my old Bosch. I’m not sure if I will use them but I’m game. It has the Crystal dry, so hopefully that will take care of any drying issues the new Boschs have. Never had an issue with the old one unless I wanted the dishes as soon as the water cycle was done. I hope it is as reliable as my old Bosch.
Update:
Just finished Auto cycle with Crystal Dry and some very dirty dishes. Some were dried on, some with lots on them, they are now sparkling clean and very dry. Better than my old Bosch! I loaded far more than my two shelf old Bosch. The cycle time was 2:15. Yes it’s long but I did other things before coming back and I’m preparing food for 28+ people at this weekends pasta bar/Christmas party
Last edited by cmwahl on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buckeye Chuck

Post by Buckeye Chuck » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:44 pm

I am stunned by the times listed for wash cycles. I have a 15 year ge that cleans in 36 minutes. Mid range. It is loud but not crazy loud.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:46 pm

tadamsmar wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Now that you have switched over to following the instructions in the manual, you will probably find that dishwashers can live up to that catchy name we give them!

I didn't have a manual before, and it took a little bit of effort to find it online. "Leave your dishes dirtier to get them cleaner" is hardly an intuitive action.

Actually, I'd rate it as indicative of a poor implementation. It sounds like manufacturers need to implement a "dried on food" cycle option (because I know for Energy Star and cycle time advertising purposes, they won't do so in their default cycle) that doesn't start monitoring soil level until it has run for long enough to soften most dried on foods.

That said, I can't rule out that there might be an unseen problem with our current dishwasher like a plastic pump impeller wearing down over time. Maybe my wife will let me remove it a day or two early to do an autopsy before it gets hauled away.

I am definitely looking forward to a quieter dishwasher, but I think we were pretty much guaranteed to get that since we weren't after a model with a grinder like the current machine has, and it seems like noise has become an increasing priority for marketing over the last decade.

Bogle7

I hate noise

Post by Bogle7 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:08 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:46 pm
I am definitely looking forward to a quieter dishwasher... it seems like noise has become an increasing priority for marketing over the last decade.
Think about "open plan" houses.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:39 pm

Bosch is the approved dishwasher brand for Bogleheads. Just fill out a BH1010W - Requisition for New Dishwasher form and file it with the proper signatures online. Once approved, you can go buy your dishwasher at the Boglehead approved retailer, Costco.

p.s. We do have a Bosch 500 Series but we bought ours at Lowe’s.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:44 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:46 pm
tadamsmar wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 pm

I didn't have a manual before, and it took a little bit of effort to find it online. "Leave your dishes dirtier to get them cleaner" is hardly an intuitive action.
I have read that the cleaning agents are now designed to be activated by the dirt.

Dishwasher cleaning agents have always been strong chemicals. They tend to etch the glassware if you rinse the dishes in advance (as many or most do). The newer cleaning agents are dirt-activated to cut down on the damage.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Had an old GE $200 model that lasted for 19 years. Bought a Bosch, very quiet and like the third rack up top. One thing, that we knew about before purchase, is that plastic cups never completely dry since there is no heating element.

However, key to clean the filter once a month. Seller said to expect 8 to 10 years max these days.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
HomeStretch wrote:

I have an 18-year+ Jenn Air (made or owned by Whirlpool I believe) that has no real problems but am preparing to replace at some point. It's louder than I would like for the open floor plan. Thus, I'm reading this and related threads to start my research. Many BH's and Wirecutter love Bosch but I also read some posts where people have had bad luck or don't like them for other reasons (e.g. odor issues) so I have more research to do. The Miele models sound great but a bit pricey :shock:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-dishwasher/

Student2

Post by Student2 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:25 pm

Definitely Miele. They are not as widely known as other brands, but that's at least in part due to the fact they don't spend much on advertising and count on word of mouth. Good Bavarian engineering :D ... yes, that means the wash cycles are pretty long, but I appreciate the energy efficiency. We don't really care how long it takes tbh, as we just set it to run at night.) After the first time through, all our dishes looked new. It's so quiet (one of the criteria I used for selecting it) we have to look for the red light to see if it's running even when standing right beside it! Three racks, a built-in water softener and the option to add rinse-aid to a reservoir to deal with hard water spots. It has more programs than I think we will ever use, but I like that one of the cycles is a high-heat wash for sanitizing (we feed some feral cats and I like to sterilize their dishes). Also, you don't have to pre-rinse to get clean dishes.

I grew up in a Miele household and I'm pretty sure that machine is still running in there today (parents sold the house a few years ago). Sure, how dishwashers are built has changed over time, but Miele is the same company, same family of owners, and -- from what I read -- same great performance. It was expensive, but amortized over it's lifetime, I'm expecting it will be a bargain.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:42 pm

CHXRAVEN wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:55 pm
\The KitchenAid (high tier) is super quiet and cleans well.
My KitchenAid (similar tier) is about 2.5 years old and I love it. Cleans well, is very quiet, and has a good rack layout.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:54 pm

tooluser wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:42 pm
CHXRAVEN wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:55 pm
\The KitchenAid (high tier) is super quiet and cleans well.
My KitchenAid (similar tier) is about 2.5 years old and I love it. Cleans well, is very quiet, and has a good rack layout.
I noticed one KitchenAid model on the Wirecutter list which looks pretty good:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitchenaid ... pid=197432