Ford Sync3 Issue-help!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Ford Sync3 Issue-help!

Post by Julyguy754 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:24 pm

Greetings-
I recently purchased a new Ford Escape and might have an issue with the Sync3 screen. This is my first new car in 19 years and am not up on the new technology. I noticed the screen going from white background to a black one while going on a trip last weekend. I google this issue and people were talking about the screen going dark and rebooting. My screen is still readable with all the same screen issue as when it has a white background, just that it is dark in the background. I tried some suggestions about rebooting but nothing happened. I called Ford and have an appointment next week. The service person told me the screens can be sensitive to change in lighting. I told him that the day was sunny and had no light variation when the screen shifted from a white to a black backgound. I hate the thought of taking the car in so soon and have techs possibly taking the dashoff to get to the screen if that is needed.
Question: Has any Sync3 owner have this issue and is it a program issue or an electrical one which the Ford service tech said could be the issue?
Any solutions I could try before taking it in?
Oh, another issue is a mark on the glass on the lift door that looks like a dried water stain, but I washed it with Windex and didn't budge it. Two issues with a new car already! This too shall pass I guess.
Thanks and appreciate anyone's help.
Julyguy

SixAlpha

Re: Ford Sync3 Issue-help!

Post by SixAlpha » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Congrats on the new Escape! The Sync 3 system is a vast improvement to the Microsoft-powered MyTouch system used in previous generations of that car. Bugger that it’s acting up though.

Your Ford adviser was correct. Many screens are programmed to go into “night mode” In low light situations, such as driving at night or through a tunnel. There should be a little light sensor (dark marble-sized bump) on your dashboard next to the windshield. Possible the light sensor or screen is bad, although first I imagine they’ll try to reset the software using a laptop they can plug into your car’s data port.

As for the water spot on the window, yeah those are a pain. Make sure the glass is cool to the touch and try a liberal dose of an auto glass cleaner such as Stoners Invisible Glass (you should avoid using Windex on car windows anyways... hard on the factory tint)... otherwise just leave it alone. It will come off next time you wash the car, just be quick to dry the windows.

Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks for your reply and information.
I called Ford Sync3 tech. support and they were of little help. I did read my manual more thoroughly and reset it for day mode and the light screen with the powder blue background returned. I set it in auto mode and drove it around and seems to be working on an overcast day. I wonder if the dealer salesman set it for a different mode? He was messing around with all that showing me but he had so much information it was overwhelming. Acually reading the manual on the Sync part is a bit much for me. I will drive it around in different modes and see what happens. Guess I will still take it in while under warranty even if it seems to be working.
Never heard Windex to be hard on windows, but I will try and find Invisible Glass.If I can't find it are there other brands ok for car windows?
Thanks again for your help!
Julyguy

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:12 pm

Very possible resetting the mode fixed it. Fingers crossed!

Any auto parts store or WalMart will sell auto glass cleaner.

Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:06 pm

I found the Invisible Glass and have a list of approved auto glass cleaners for future use- thanks! I drove the car around today again and the screen did go from light to dark again. In fact, it momentarily when completely black but came back on. Later in the day, on the basically overcast day, I set it to auto mode and drove it around for about 45 min. without any issues.
As for the mark on the glass I am not sure it is a water stain, I just described it that way since it looked like one. I used some Invisible Glass on it and didn't do a thing. Beginning to think this is some imperfection in the glass. Not sure if the warranty will cover something like that.
Thanks again,
Julyguy

Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Update-
Ford ran a diagnostic and found the sinc3 to be operating appropriately. The Service Mgr. said that the screen are pretty touchy, fluctuating between day and night mode, when in auto mode and the lighting is varied. Their detailer was able to get what appeared to be some sort of stain off the window. Thanks!