Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BeachPerson
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Northern VA

Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by BeachPerson » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am

The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord with the 2.4L engine. The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.

The location of the Honda dealership is great since I can get there in 10 minutes even with rush hour Northern Virginia traffic. Wegman's is two blocks away. So nice getting a bite to eat. The Nissan dealership is right across the street from the Honda dealership. The Mazda and Toyota dealerships I would have to deal with tougher traffic to get there.

I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.

There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 7567
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:25 am

BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord with the 2.4L engine. The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.

The location of the Honda dealership is great since I can get there in 10 minutes even with rush hour Northern Virginia traffic. Wegman's is two blocks away. So nice getting a bite to eat. The Nissan dealership is right across the street from the Honda dealership. The Mazda and Toyota dealerships I would have to deal with tougher traffic to get there.

I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.

There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
We've looked at a bunch of cars lately, from the Honda CRV, to the Rogue, etc, and will likely end up ordering a 2020 or 2021 Honda Passport Elite. It's based on the other great Honda SUV platforms so should be rock solid. We've had far better experiences with Honda and Toyota than others as far as vehicle and dealerships. But, YMMV.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

kjvmartin
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:36 am

BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.
I was in a similar situation with concerns about the 1.5. I wanted the Honda Sensing suite... You may find that competitors have safety systems that are not nearly as smooth as Honda's. That was my experience.

prd1982
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by prd1982 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 am

BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum.
I think "often" partially depends on the number of negative comments, or number of people complaining. Also, I'm not aware of anyone actually reporting an engine failure because of the oil dilution problem. Personally, I would use Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc. for information on cars, and Bogleheads for information on investing.

User avatar
dwickenh
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:45 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by dwickenh » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:17 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:25 am
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord with the 2.4L engine. The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.

The location of the Honda dealership is great since I can get there in 10 minutes even with rush hour Northern Virginia traffic. Wegman's is two blocks away. So nice getting a bite to eat. The Nissan dealership is right across the street from the Honda dealership. The Mazda and Toyota dealerships I would have to deal with tougher traffic to get there.

I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.

There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
We've looked at a bunch of cars lately, from the Honda CRV, to the Rogue, etc, and will likely end up ordering a 2020 or 2021 Honda Passport Elite. It's based on the other great Honda SUV platforms so should be rock solid. We've had far better experiences with Honda and Toyota than others as far as vehicle and dealerships. But, YMMV.

j
Also getting ready to trade my 2016 CRV(non turbo) in on a Passport, if they can match the deal I need. Toyota Highlander
is second on my list. I've driven both vehicles and would be happy with either one. I am not a fan
of Nissan due to reliability reports, but YMMV.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

User avatar
dwickenh
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:45 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by dwickenh » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:18 am

prd1982 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 am
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum.
I think "often" partially depends on the number of negative comments, or number of people complaining. Also, I'm not aware of anyone actually reporting an engine failure because of the oil dilution problem. Personally, I would use Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc. for information on cars, and Bogleheads for information on investing.
+1
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

xerxes101
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:25 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by xerxes101 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:21 am

prd1982 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 am
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum.
I think "often" partially depends on the number of negative comments, or number of people complaining. Also, I'm not aware of anyone actually reporting an engine failure because of the oil dilution problem. Personally, I would use Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc. for information on cars, and Bogleheads for information on investing.
Based on what I have read, there is a definite cloud over that engine and Honda has acknowledged it especially for operation in cold weather which Northern Virginia could be a part of ...I would stay away too.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 55035
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:25 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 7567
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:28 am

dwickenh wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:17 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:25 am
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord with the 2.4L engine. The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.

The location of the Honda dealership is great since I can get there in 10 minutes even with rush hour Northern Virginia traffic. Wegman's is two blocks away. So nice getting a bite to eat. The Nissan dealership is right across the street from the Honda dealership. The Mazda and Toyota dealerships I would have to deal with tougher traffic to get there.

I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.

There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
We've looked at a bunch of cars lately, from the Honda CRV, to the Rogue, etc, and will likely end up ordering a 2020 or 2021 Honda Passport Elite. It's based on the other great Honda SUV platforms so should be rock solid. We've had far better experiences with Honda and Toyota than others as far as vehicle and dealerships. But, YMMV.

j
Also getting ready to trade my 2016 CRV(non turbo) in on a Passport, if they can match the deal I need. Toyota Highlander
is second on my list. I've driven both vehicles and would be happy with either one. I am not a fan
of Nissan due to reliability reports, but YMMV.

Dan
+1 on Nissan/Ford
We've also looked at the Highlander in detail. Driven it several times. Also the FourRunner. The Toyotas are awesome.
But, for DW, the Honda Passport is a "close" replacement for her aging Nissan Xterra in size, utility, etc.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

smitcat
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by smitcat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 am

BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord with the 2.4L engine. The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.

The location of the Honda dealership is great since I can get there in 10 minutes even with rush hour Northern Virginia traffic. Wegman's is two blocks away. So nice getting a bite to eat. The Nissan dealership is right across the street from the Honda dealership. The Mazda and Toyota dealerships I would have to deal with tougher traffic to get there.

I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.

There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
Before you buy a Nissan with the CVT transmission please google "Nissan Rogue CVT transmission problems".
As others posted here this is not the site I would go to for automotive advice - I would go to auto specific sites.
Interestingly - I never thought of choosing any car based upon the location of the dealer, we almost never go back to the dealer so that would be unimportant.

Winston19
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by Winston19 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:49 am

While the oil issues on the honda are certainly a concern you will probably do better overall on reliability with the Honda. I think the Honda is probably also a nicer vehicle. Have you looked at the Mazda CX-5? We just got one and my wife and I both thought it was nicer than the CRV.

User avatar
CULater
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by CULater » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:08 am

prd1982 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 am
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum.
I think "often" partially depends on the number of negative comments, or number of people complaining. Also, I'm not aware of anyone actually reporting an engine failure because of the oil dilution problem. Personally, I would use Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc. for information on cars, and Bogleheads for information on investing.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... e-trouble/

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rec ... o-engines/

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/5 ... laints/p3
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

stoptothink
Posts: 5756
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 am

smitcat wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 am
Interestingly - I never thought of choosing any car based upon the location of the dealer, we almost never go back to the dealer so that would be unimportant.
Stuck out to me as well. Why is that important? In the last 11yrs, with my last 2 cars, I've been to the dealer 3x: twice to buy the cars and another time for a recall brake light.

KyleAAA
Posts: 7220
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:34 am

Other than the oil issue, which has apparently been fixed in the latest model, are there really any major complaints about the CRV? It has more interior space than most of its competitors. The only CUV I would consider as an alternative would be the Mazda CX5, which would be much more fun to drive and more upscale feeling st the higher trims, but at the cost of significantly less interior space.

prd1982
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by prd1982 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:59 am

CULater posted links to CR and Edmunds talking about the issue. But in the interest of fairness to Honda and the CRV, Consumer Reports recommends the CRV and Edmunds made it their Editors' choice.

John Z
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by John Z » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:07 am

One month ago wife purchased 2019 Rogue SL with tech package. Had to pry her from a 15 year old Altima with 100+K miles and no failures except for normal maintenance items. She had a specific list of mostly safety features she wanted and no vehicle had everything she was looking for. She did not want a turbo engine

In this order, test drove and considered:

Mazda CX5; only turbo trims had what she wanted
Toyota RAV4; drove 3 trims but dealer did not come close to finding what she wanted
Honda HRV; too small, high price, considered CRV but only turbo has the trim and safety features she wanted
Volvo XC40; price, turbo, stop/start engine in traffic and premium gas
Rogue SL; had every feature she wanted except one minor one

We are 70+ and do not need a vehicle that will last another 100K miles. I think CVT issues are in the past and Nissan provides 5/60,000 power train warranty.

mmmodem
Posts: 1634
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by mmmodem » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 am

While we didn't choose the CRV or Rogue, both were on our list of CUVs to comparison shop. My sisters have a CRV and a RAV4 each. SIL has a CRV. So you can say we're a heavy Toyota and Honda family.

However, DW and I unlike BHers ended up with a Ford Escape and a Mitsibishi Outlander mostly because we refuse to pay the Honda/Toyota premium. The Rogue was our top choice but the Mitsubishi absolutely gets zero love in the markwt and we got a killer deal on it.

Also unlike the norm, we prefer CVT's over conventional automatics as we are talking about tall slow 4 cylinder vehicles. There is zero pretense of driving satisfaction. We prefer better fuel economy and the absence of constant gear hunting on inclines.

zlandar
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by zlandar » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:21 am

How about a used 2016-18 Acura RDX?

It's last gen with a 6 cyl engine that doesn't suffer from the oil dilution issues of the newer 4 cyl direct-injection RDX and CRV.

The Advanced trim has similar safety features (BSM, rear cross traffic, auto cruise, lane keeping, CMBS) of the current Honda CRV. If you get the Advanced trim it comes with front/rear parking sensors which I find useful. The only thing it's missing is Carplay. I mount my iPhone to my dash using a Proclip mount.

I take mine to a local Honda dealership for service.

theplayer11
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by theplayer11 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:32 am

Winston19 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:49 am
While the oil issues on the honda are certainly a concern you will probably do better overall on reliability with the Honda. I think the Honda is probably also a nicer vehicle. Have you looked at the Mazda CX-5? We just got one and my wife and I both thought it was nicer than the CRV.
+1000....If anyone is looking at a CRV, Rogue, Tucson, Kia, Rav4, Outback, ect. they should check out the CX-5(especially the turbo). IMO, in smokes all of the above. Better interior, better engine, no CVT tranny, reliable..and most importantly, drives and handles better.

Topic Author
BeachPerson
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Northern VA

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by BeachPerson » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:38 am

smitcat wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 am
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord with the 2.4L engine. The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.

The location of the Honda dealership is great since I can get there in 10 minutes even with rush hour Northern Virginia traffic. Wegman's is two blocks away. So nice getting a bite to eat. The Nissan dealership is right across the street from the Honda dealership. The Mazda and Toyota dealerships I would have to deal with tougher traffic to get there.

I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.

There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
Before you buy a Nissan with the CVT transmission please google "Nissan Rogue CVT transmission problems".
As others posted here this is not the site I would go to for automotive advice - I would go to auto specific sites.
Interestingly - I never thought of choosing any car based upon the location of the dealer, we almost never go back to the dealer so that would be unimportant.
Before 2000, I went to Good year when I lived in Maryland. Dealers back then have had the view of being a ripoff. Since 2000, I find the dealers seem to do less and charge less. Very little up selling. I like to do business the "European Style" where you build up long term relationships.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

Topic Author
BeachPerson
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Northern VA

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by BeachPerson » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:40 am

Winston19 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:49 am
While the oil issues on the honda are certainly a concern you will probably do better overall on reliability with the Honda. I think the Honda is probably also a nicer vehicle. Have you looked at the Mazda CX-5? We just got one and my wife and I both thought it was nicer than the CRV.
There is only one Honda dealership within 20 minutes of me with little non rush hour. If the service department turns bad, I always like other dealers that I could pick.

I had a Toyota for eight years, and the dealer I bought the car from, was ripoff with the service. The other dealer I went to for service was outstanding.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

theplayer11
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by theplayer11 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:00 pm

BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:38 am
smitcat wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 am
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord with the 2.4L engine. The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.

The location of the Honda dealership is great since I can get there in 10 minutes even with rush hour Northern Virginia traffic. Wegman's is two blocks away. So nice getting a bite to eat. The Nissan dealership is right across the street from the Honda dealership. The Mazda and Toyota dealerships I would have to deal with tougher traffic to get there.

I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.

There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
Before you buy a Nissan with the CVT transmission please google "Nissan Rogue CVT transmission problems".
As others posted here this is not the site I would go to for automotive advice - I would go to auto specific sites.
Interestingly - I never thought of choosing any car based upon the location of the dealer, we almost never go back to the dealer so that would be unimportant.
Before 2000, I went to Good year when I lived in Maryland. Dealers back then have had the view of being a ripoff. Since 2000, I find the dealers seem to do less and charge less. Very little up selling. I like to do business the "European Style" where you build up long term relationships.
You will always pay more at a dealership. If you need to go often to a dealership for repairs then you bought the wrong vehicle. I travel anywhere to get the best price on a vehicle because I will rarely step foot in any dealership again...just the occasional warranty work.

zlandar
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by zlandar » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:14 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:00 pm
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:38 am
smitcat wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 am
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord with the 2.4L engine. The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.

The location of the Honda dealership is great since I can get there in 10 minutes even with rush hour Northern Virginia traffic. Wegman's is two blocks away. So nice getting a bite to eat. The Nissan dealership is right across the street from the Honda dealership. The Mazda and Toyota dealerships I would have to deal with tougher traffic to get there.

I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.

There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
Before you buy a Nissan with the CVT transmission please google "Nissan Rogue CVT transmission problems".
As others posted here this is not the site I would go to for automotive advice - I would go to auto specific sites.
Interestingly - I never thought of choosing any car based upon the location of the dealer, we almost never go back to the dealer so that would be unimportant.
Before 2000, I went to Good year when I lived in Maryland. Dealers back then have had the view of being a ripoff. Since 2000, I find the dealers seem to do less and charge less. Very little up selling. I like to do business the "European Style" where you build up long term relationships.
You will always pay more at a dealership. If you need to go often to a dealership for repairs then you bought the wrong vehicle. I travel anywhere to get the best price on a vehicle because I will rarely step foot in any dealership again...just the occasional warranty work.
Depends on your local area. I have several Honda dealerships within 30 min where I live. One has a $30 synthetic oil change and a 15% service coupon on their website. I price shopped the 50k service for my RDX and their price was better than any independent shop near me after the coupon.

User avatar
CULater
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by CULater » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:26 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:34 am
Other than the oil issue, which has apparently been fixed in the latest model, are there really any major complaints about the CRV? It has more interior space than most of its competitors. The only CUV I would consider as an alternative would be the Mazda CX5, which would be much more fun to drive and more upscale feeling st the higher trims, but at the cost of significantly less interior space.
Unfortunately, not fixed. Same engine with the "product update" software that hasn't worked. I'd wait for a new engine and then wait for 2 years to see it that one is any better. In the meantime, buy something else and you'll be ready to trade by then. :D

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR- ... gine.shtml
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

02nz
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by 02nz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:27 pm

The Rogue is not a bad car per se, just a really mediocre one. I've driven quite a few on rental. Nothing really wrong, but the RAV4, CR-V, Forester, and CX-5 all drive better and have nicer interiors with better materials and fit/finish. Nissan has been phoning it in for a long time, and with the Rogue it really shows. That there are so many in the rental fleets is also telling (and depresses resale value).

User avatar
Socrates
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Margaritaville

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by Socrates » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:32 pm

I love Honda and have had 2 CRVs. My wife passed on the Honda CRV for the Suburu Forrester because we were worried about the turbo engine which was, at the time, new to the CRV vs the old school engine they had been using for years and had a great reliability record.

Japanese cars are easy and inexpensive to maintain. No need to go to a dealer like German cars. My Honda CRV was rarely maintained at dealer and has 220,000 miles on it.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

User avatar
G12
Posts: 1502
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:35 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by G12 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:42 pm

zlandar wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:21 am
How about a used 2016-18 Acura RDX?

It's last gen with a 6 cyl engine that doesn't suffer from the oil dilution issues of the newer 4 cyl direct-injection RDX and CRV.

The Advanced trim has similar safety features (BSM, rear cross traffic, auto cruise, lane keeping, CMBS) of the current Honda CRV. If you get the Advanced trim it comes with front/rear parking sensors which I find useful. The only thing it's missing is Carplay. I mount my iPhone to my dash using a Proclip mount.

I take mine to a local Honda dealership for service.
I am surprised this RDX is not brought up more frequently on here, it would be my choice. My sister has one and it is quick, unlike my sometimes ponderous 2017 AWD Honda Pilot. Neighbor bought a new 2018 RDX V-6 and it is quite comfortable.

theplayer11
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by theplayer11 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:51 pm

G12 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:42 pm
zlandar wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:21 am
How about a used 2016-18 Acura RDX?

It's last gen with a 6 cyl engine that doesn't suffer from the oil dilution issues of the newer 4 cyl direct-injection RDX and CRV.

The Advanced trim has similar safety features (BSM, rear cross traffic, auto cruise, lane keeping, CMBS) of the current Honda CRV. If you get the Advanced trim it comes with front/rear parking sensors which I find useful. The only thing it's missing is Carplay. I mount my iPhone to my dash using a Proclip mount.

I take mine to a local Honda dealership for service.
I am surprised this RDX is not brought up more frequently on here, it would be my choice. My sister has one and it is quick, unlike my sometimes ponderous 2017 AWD Honda Pilot. Neighbor bought a new 2018 RDX V-6 and it is quite comfortable.
$10-12K more expensive

Daryl
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:34 am
Location: Malvern, PA (I like to sleep near my money!)

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by Daryl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:55 pm

I have the same 1.5L engine that is in the CRV (in my Civic) and really like it. The engine/transmission work really well together to balance adequate performance with outstanding fuel economy. Honda has already offered an extended warranty on the power-train (complementary) to provide additional peace of mind to current / prospective owners.

User avatar
Kalo
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by Kalo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:11 pm

I have a 2014 Honda CR-V. Not a turbo. Only complaint is a problem with the heater core that can supposedly be fixed with a flush, but the dealer tried to rip me off on the price, so I didn't have it done and will need to find a non-dealer mechanic to do it before winter. Otherwise, it's been as reliable as I could have hoped and as I had expected given the reliability ratings.

It has about 70K miles on it now and has only needed regularly scheduled maintenance so far and seems to be running as well as when it was new. I'm very happy with it but ticked off about the heater core because it's a known issue and while I don't expect Honda to pay for it, I'm disappointed that the dealer has decided to try to cheat people by charging 4 times the normal rate for the service just because the manufacturer sent them a special pump to use. But the instructions say the mechanic doesn't need to monitor the process. Just hook it up and let it run and come back in an hour to check it.

So, while I am happy with the car, I'm unhappy with my experience with the dealer. But I have found a local mechanic who comes highly recommended and will see if he can flush the heater core for a fair price.

Generally I am happy with the CR-V in every way but, the stories about the turbo engine are a big red flag for me against ever buying another Honda. I'd like to drive my CR-V for 5 to 7 more years and by then, who knows what the car market landscape might look like.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

User avatar
CULater
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by CULater » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Daryl wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:55 pm
I have the same 1.5L engine that is in the CRV (in my Civic) and really like it. The engine/transmission work really well together to balance adequate performance with outstanding fuel economy. Honda has already offered an extended warranty on the power-train (complementary) to provide additional peace of mind to current / prospective owners.
Actually they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to this point after all the complaints and bad press. But interestingly they haven't been letting anybody know about it. I've not received any communication from Honda and don't expect to. Probably an example of a "secret warranty" that got let out of the bag. They aren't advertised and are available only to customers who bring a problem to the dealer service department and complain loudly enough that the dealer gets to act like they're a "good guy" and offer a complimentary fix. And it only offers another year of coverage for the cams and rocker arms. Most owners wouldn't know if they had a camshaft or rocker arm wearing out because they don't know what to look for. Honda should be offering a much longer warranty extension on this engine; and they should be notifying owners. Cold day in Hades....
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

zlandar
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by zlandar » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:58 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:51 pm
G12 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:42 pm
zlandar wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:21 am
How about a used 2016-18 Acura RDX?

It's last gen with a 6 cyl engine that doesn't suffer from the oil dilution issues of the newer 4 cyl direct-injection RDX and CRV.

The Advanced trim has similar safety features (BSM, rear cross traffic, auto cruise, lane keeping, CMBS) of the current Honda CRV. If you get the Advanced trim it comes with front/rear parking sensors which I find useful. The only thing it's missing is Carplay. I mount my iPhone to my dash using a Proclip mount.

I take mine to a local Honda dealership for service.
I am surprised this RDX is not brought up more frequently on here, it would be my choice. My sister has one and it is quick, unlike my sometimes ponderous 2017 AWD Honda Pilot. Neighbor bought a new 2018 RDX V-6 and it is quite comfortable.
$10-12K more expensive
Buy a 3 year used model. Prices range from mid-high $20's for a 2016 RDX in advanced trim. The 2016-2018 models are very similar with only minor changes between years.

I would rather have the old V-6 instead of the newer direct injection 4 cyl turbo. The reports of oil dilution are all related to the newer 4 cyl turbo engines.

I like new tech but when it comes to engines I'll take the time-proven older version. Car manufacturers are pushing 4 cyl turbos in an effort to meet gas mileage standards and I'm not going to be their $30-40k beta tester.

ssquared87
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by ssquared87 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:36 pm

zlandar wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:14 pm
theplayer11 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:00 pm
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:38 am
smitcat wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 am
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord with the 2.4L engine. The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.

The location of the Honda dealership is great since I can get there in 10 minutes even with rush hour Northern Virginia traffic. Wegman's is two blocks away. So nice getting a bite to eat. The Nissan dealership is right across the street from the Honda dealership. The Mazda and Toyota dealerships I would have to deal with tougher traffic to get there.

I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.

There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
Before you buy a Nissan with the CVT transmission please google "Nissan Rogue CVT transmission problems".
As others posted here this is not the site I would go to for automotive advice - I would go to auto specific sites.
Interestingly - I never thought of choosing any car based upon the location of the dealer, we almost never go back to the dealer so that would be unimportant.
Before 2000, I went to Good year when I lived in Maryland. Dealers back then have had the view of being a ripoff. Since 2000, I find the dealers seem to do less and charge less. Very little up selling. I like to do business the "European Style" where you build up long term relationships.
You will always pay more at a dealership. If you need to go often to a dealership for repairs then you bought the wrong vehicle. I travel anywhere to get the best price on a vehicle because I will rarely step foot in any dealership again...just the occasional warranty work.
Depends on your local area. I have several Honda dealerships within 30 min where I live. One has a $30 synthetic oil change and a 15% service coupon on their website. I price shopped the 50k service for my RDX and their price was better than any independent shop near me after the coupon.
+1

Its cheaper to get an oil change on my GFs Honda at the local Honda dealer than any of the independents around here. It’s even cheaper than if we did it at home using Honda oil and a Honda oil filter. They discount the service hoping they’ll find other issues, but they’ve been honest with us and have never suggested unnecessary services.

Honda was also cheaper replacing the starter and fixing a power steering issue than the estimated we got from several independent shops in the area.

TheOscarGuy
Posts: 864
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Where I wanna be.

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:23 pm

BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Honda CRV has been beat up often on this forum. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord with the 2.4L engine. The car is running great, but I do covet getting a car with all the driver assist safety features.

The location of the Honda dealership is great since I can get there in 10 minutes even with rush hour Northern Virginia traffic. Wegman's is two blocks away. So nice getting a bite to eat. The Nissan dealership is right across the street from the Honda dealership. The Mazda and Toyota dealerships I would have to deal with tougher traffic to get there.

I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.

There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
I am a current Honda owner (two vehicles). Both were last model year vehicles, before everything turned CVT. My next vehicle is going to be a Yota or a Subaru.
I also want to say dont base your decision on how close the dealership is. Find a good small, independent mechanic and use them for all your servicing. You will get much better value for your money, and the car will always be serviced by same set of mechanics so they know it better than dealership folks.

smitcat
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by smitcat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:36 pm

CULater wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:13 pm
Daryl wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:55 pm
I have the same 1.5L engine that is in the CRV (in my Civic) and really like it. The engine/transmission work really well together to balance adequate performance with outstanding fuel economy. Honda has already offered an extended warranty on the power-train (complementary) to provide additional peace of mind to current / prospective owners.
Actually they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to this point after all the complaints and bad press. But interestingly they haven't been letting anybody know about it. I've not received any communication from Honda and don't expect to. Probably an example of a "secret warranty" that got let out of the bag. They aren't advertised and are available only to customers who bring a problem to the dealer service department and complain loudly enough that the dealer gets to act like they're a "good guy" and offer a complimentary fix. And it only offers another year of coverage for the cams and rocker arms. Most owners wouldn't know if they had a camshaft or rocker arm wearing out because they don't know what to look for. Honda should be offering a much longer warranty extension on this engine; and they should be notifying owners. Cold day in Hades....
My niece received the letter from Honda nearly a month ago on the extended warrantee.
What are the symptoms of camshaft wear and do you have any of those symptoms?

dsmclone
Posts: 351
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by dsmclone » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:35 am

My wife just recently sold her 2013 Acura RDX and during those 5 years, it was a rock. Didn't really appreciate the V6 until she bought a VW with a turbo 4. Yuck. They sound horrible and for the loss of about 100hp you get about 3 mpg better fuel mileage and non premium fuel. The only negative I would say about the RDX is that the technology in the 2013-2018 was getting a little dated by the end.

core4portfolio
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by core4portfolio » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:47 am

I analyzed RAV4, Rogue and CRV and went with CR-V for better space and honda reliability :(
Nissan is good for normal user like me but I heard CVT trasmission issue and dont want to take hit after knowing.
On Jan 2018, i dont know CRV have this oil issue, otherwise just RAV4 will be only choice.

I expect some issues in new product and waited for a year and bought CR-V, still fell for oil dilution as it came little late to public forums

I would say go with RAV4 for the solid build. I havent looked on Mazda or Suburu at that time.
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

SueG5123
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:41 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by SueG5123 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:53 am

Traded in my 2005 Honda CRV in 2012 for a new Nissan Rogue, which I’m still driving. Loved my long association with Honda, and the CRV was a good vehicle. But I love my Rogue and plan to only consider another in my next car purchase.

3-20Characters
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by 3-20Characters » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 am

I get more reliable service at the local Honda dealer than local repair shops and at similar prices. There’s something to be said for using the dealer for maintenance—assuming they are have a service department that is focused on providing this as a competitive service. We are a one car family and I can’t tell how many hours/days I’ve wasted waiting for my car repairs to be completed because Joe mechanic doesn’t work with any schedule in mind. Keep calling. Not ready. Won’t be finished today.

The dealer does a multi point check with each servicing. Try to get Joe mechanic to be proactive about anything. Oh well. You can always come back a week later and waste more time on something routine that could have been taken care of when you brought the car last week.

And what parts did Joe mechanic use? Oh, that’s a weird muffler on there now. Never noticed that before. What happened to my chrome pipe tip? Don’t know. We’ll take a look around the shop to see if it’s here.

My Honda dealer will do the repairs while I wait—otherwise they’ll give me a ride/loaner. They’ve done two recalls in a few hours each and handle any concerns or complaints professionally. Joe mechanic thinks any concern about his work is a personal slight.

As with any repair shop, you have to keep alert about the recommendations and quality of the work. With independent shops, you especially have to be concerned about the quality of the parts being used.

smitcat
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by smitcat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:19 am

3-20Characters wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 am
I get more reliable service at the local Honda dealer than local repair shops and at similar prices. There’s something to be said for using the dealer for maintenance—assuming they are have a service department that is focused on providing this as a competitive service. We are a one car family and I can’t tell how many hours/days I’ve wasted waiting for my car repairs to be completed because Joe mechanic doesn’t work with any schedule in mind. Keep calling. Not ready. Won’t be finished today.

The dealer does a multi point check with each servicing. Try to get Joe mechanic to be proactive about anything. Oh well. You can always come back a week later and waste more time on something routine that could have been taken care of when you brought the car last week.

And what parts did Joe mechanic use? Oh, that’s a weird muffler on there now. Never noticed that before. What happened to my chrome pipe tip? Don’t know. We’ll take a look around the shop to see if it’s here.

My Honda dealer will do the repairs while I wait—otherwise they’ll give me a ride/loaner. They’ve done two recalls in a few hours each and handle any concerns or complaints professionally. Joe mechanic thinks any concern about his work is a personal slight.

As with any repair shop, you have to keep alert about the recommendations and quality of the work. With independent shops, you especially have to be concerned about the quality of the parts being used.
Wow - nothing like that where we are. Good shops here are head and shoulders above dealer skill levels....but we hardly ever go to the shops in any case.

researcher
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by researcher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:46 am

BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.
No way would I buy a Nissan Rogue, considering the number of better alternatives available.

The Rogue is the #12 rated vehicle in the compact SUV segment...
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g ... k/?slide=9

As others have said, google "Nissan CVT transmission issues."

randomguy
Posts: 7836
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by randomguy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 am

zlandar wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:21 am
How about a used 2016-18 Acura RDX?
Sounds like a 360 camera is a requirement. It also costs 15k more(if you want a used car you can get a used rogue), gets poor gas mileage (~10-20% worse), and wants premium (and it isn't like the Volvo where it is a suggestion. I am sure it runs on regular but you are off ignoring manufactor requirements).

But other than that it is a pretty nice car. Up to you if the added 500 or so in added costs over regular brand is worth it

KT785
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:21 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by KT785 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:19 am

BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
There is a Subaru dealership also next to the Honda dealership, but their SUVs are all "All Wheel Drive". I would rather save the $$ and get a front wheel drive car. I do not drive off roads and the northern Virginia roads get cleared quickly with snow so no need for "All Wheel Drive".
Have you priced a comparably equipped Forester and determined that they have a notable price premium over a FWD competitor?

Having Subaru AWD was a practical feature when we lived in the Midwest but isn't "necessary" now that we live in Texas, though that doesn't stop a ton of us in the San Antonio/Austin area from owning them. My rationale for going with Subaru (Outback in my case) wasn't the AWD system, it's their consistently strong safety and crash-test ratings as well as their overall practical design. For example, the overall visibility out of my Outback is head and shoulder above most other modern cars, with the exception of the Forester which has a monstrous "green house".

The Subaru Forester is a IIHS Top Safety Pick+ and has a 5 star safety rating from NHTSA.

KT785

randomguy
Posts: 7836
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by randomguy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:20 am

researcher wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:46 am
BeachPerson wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am
I have been spoiled with the great service at the Honda dealership and the easy commute, but will not get another Honda til they fix the oil gas dilution issue often discussed on the forum.
No way would I buy a Nissan Rogue, considering the number of better alternatives available.

The Rogue is the #12 rated vehicle in the compact SUV segment...
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g ... k/?slide=9

As others have said, google "Nissan CVT transmission issues."
It is also like the #2 seller in the segment. Caranddriver rankings weightings might not match your personal ones. They tend to focus unimportant things like acceleration and handling instead of important things like cup holders and space 😀

Get the cx5. 360 cameras (you can get parking installed) shouldn't be a deal breaker.

researcher
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by researcher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 am

randomguy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:20 am
It is also like the #2 seller in the segment. Caranddriver rankings weightings might not match your personal ones. They tend to focus unimportant things like acceleration and handling instead of important things like cup holders and space 😀

Get the cx5. 360 cameras (you can get parking installed) shouldn't be a deal breaker.
The CX-5 is the #1 ranked compact SUV on the C&D link I posted.
And the vehicle I decided to purchase last year when shopping for a compact SUV.

User avatar
RootSki
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by RootSki » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:41 am

zlandar wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:58 pm
theplayer11 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:51 pm
G12 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:42 pm
zlandar wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:21 am
How about a used 2016-18 Acura RDX?

It's last gen with a 6 cyl engine that doesn't suffer from the oil dilution issues of the newer 4 cyl direct-injection RDX and CRV.

The Advanced trim has similar safety features (BSM, rear cross traffic, auto cruise, lane keeping, CMBS) of the current Honda CRV. If you get the Advanced trim it comes with front/rear parking sensors which I find useful. The only thing it's missing is Carplay. I mount my iPhone to my dash using a Proclip mount.

I take mine to a local Honda dealership for service.
I am surprised this RDX is not brought up more frequently on here, it would be my choice. My sister has one and it is quick, unlike my sometimes ponderous 2017 AWD Honda Pilot. Neighbor bought a new 2018 RDX V-6 and it is quite comfortable.
$10-12K more expensive
Buy a 3 year used model. Prices range from mid-high $20's for a 2016 RDX in advanced trim. The 2016-2018 models are very similar with only minor changes between years.

I would rather have the old V-6 instead of the newer direct injection 4 cyl turbo. The reports of oil dilution are all related to the newer 4 cyl turbo engines.

I like new tech but when it comes to engines I'll take the time-proven older version. Car manufacturers are pushing 4 cyl turbos in an effort to meet gas mileage standards and I'm not going to be their $30-40k beta tester.
Turbocharged engines have been around for 100 years. It is not new and unproven technology. Don’t fear the boost. Smartest car decision I ever made included a turbo (technically two of them).

Andyrunner
Posts: 730
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:14 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by Andyrunner » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:46 am

I own a Subi outback and a Mazda CX-5 and last vacation we drove a Nissan Rogue.

The best driving experience in my opinion was hands down the Nissan Rogue. Outback, I love the AWD, trunk space, and roof racks, two downsides is it feels like a boat and with the CVT, the towing is terrible. Mazda CX-5 we have had issues, I feel like we got a lemon. Besides that one of the initial flaws I saw was the automatic lights are not standard but you needed to get a tech package. Something like that I thought would be standard.

bondsr4me
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by bondsr4me » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 am

We are seriously considering trading our 2016 Honda Accord in for a 2019 Subaru Outback Limited.

The seats in Accord have gotten very uncomfortable.

We like the looks of the Outback.
Test drove it Saturday; 6 cyl; handled well; good pickup onto the interstate; nice display with "knobs".

We'll see what happens; waiting on a final trade-in value.
Dealer's trade-in was about $2500 lower than Edmunds....I won't accept the lower trade.

KT785
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:21 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by KT785 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:02 am

bondsr4me wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 am
We are seriously considering trading our 2016 Honda Accord in for a 2019 Subaru Outback Limited.

The seats in Accord have gotten very uncomfortable.

We like the looks of the Outback.
Test drove it Saturday; 6 cyl; handled well; good pickup onto the interstate; nice display with "knobs".

We'll see what happens; waiting on a final trade-in value.
Dealer's trade-in was about $2500 lower than Edmunds....I won't accept the lower trade.
Check out what CarMax will offer you for the old car so you have a point of comparison to see if the dealer or Edmunds accurately reflect market rates--better to have more than one data point.

bondsr4me
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Anyone buy the Nissan Rogue over the Honda CRV???

Post by bondsr4me » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:03 am

KT785 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:02 am
bondsr4me wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 am
We are seriously considering trading our 2016 Honda Accord in for a 2019 Subaru Outback Limited.

The seats in Accord have gotten very uncomfortable.

We like the looks of the Outback.
Test drove it Saturday; 6 cyl; handled well; good pickup onto the interstate; nice display with "knobs".

We'll see what happens; waiting on a final trade-in value.
Dealer's trade-in was about $2500 lower than Edmunds....I won't accept the lower trade.
Check out what CarMax will offer you for the old car so you have a point of comparison to see if the dealer or Edmunds accurately reflect market rates--better to have more than one data point.
will do that....thanks for the heads-up.

Post Reply