Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
dalbright
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 am

Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by dalbright » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 am

I am looking to add a part time second job. I have a great primary job that is very flexible and I get to work remotely, but we are not allowed to work overtime and there is not clear room for advancement other than possible 1-2% yearly pay increases. As a result I have a large portion of my day still open which is fantastic, but I would like to put it to better use so that I can save more for retirement at this time while I am younger. I am located in the Chicago suburbs and we have some larger stores such as Home Depot, Menards, Walmart, Trader Joe's, etc nearby that I have considered applying to. Does anyone have experience with these places and the fringe benefits they offer for part time work such as 401k access/quality matching, raise potential, discounts, and other perks that are available to a 10-20 hour/wk employee. I've skimmed the usual job sites like glassdoor etc but would trust input from this group more!

livesoft
Posts: 66990
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by livesoft » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:55 am

I've talked to employees at these places when I shop at them -- mostly to pass on info to my millennial children. I suggest you ask the employees of the places you are considering. Examples: "Is this a pretty good gig?" or "Are you having fun today?" These are asked in a friendly manner after I have responded to their query "How are you?" or "How's it going?" in order to keep the conversation going.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

runner3081
Posts: 2189
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:35 am

You mention time available during the day. Keep in mind that when you are starting out in these jobs, they may involve a number of weekends, rather than weekdays.

MathIsMyWayr
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 pm
Location: CA

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:51 am

dalbright wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 am
I am looking to add a part time second job. I have a great primary job that is very flexible and I get to work remotely
If your schedule is flexible for you, isn't it also flexible for your employer? Retail employers may ask you for certain commitment to schedule, though not firm. You may not cont on being able to come and go as you wish. Before taking a 2nd PT job, please check your employer's policy on this matter.

RobLyons
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by RobLyons » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:29 am

I worked for Home Depot a decade ago. One of the best benefits was the employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) that gave employees the opportunity to purchase company stock quarterly at a 15-20% discount. It's still available. Also part timers can participate in 401k with a small matching %. No discounts or great perks that I'm aware of beyond that.. Pay is not very good. But overall people are pretty happy there.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

stoptothink
Posts: 5756
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:42 am

RobLyons wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:29 am
I worked for Home Depot a decade ago. One of the best benefits was the employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) that gave employees the opportunity to purchase company stock quarterly at a 15-20% discount. It's still available. Also part timers can participate in 401k with a small matching %. No discounts or great perks that I'm aware of beyond that.. Pay is not very good. But overall people are pretty happy there.
I also worked for Home Depot about a decade ago, was a 2nd job as I was cash-flowing (ex) wife's dental school. I was working nights restocking, so my experience may be different. I wasn't aware of the ESPP, so I obviously didn't take advantage. A small 401k match, but the pay was low and it was probably the least "fun" of any job I've ever had and I've done tons of manual labor in my life. I quit as soon as I could find something else that fit my schedule.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 16522
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by Watty » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am

dalbright wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 am
I have a great primary job that is very flexible and I get to work remotely, but we are not allowed to work overtime and there is not clear room for advancement other than possible 1-2% yearly pay increases.
While the flexibility is nice you might want to find a more promising job in your main career so that you can keep that going strong.

With all the flexibility now could also be a good time to get some more education.

mrmass
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by mrmass » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:04 am

I for a short time worked at Best Buy in their computer dept. I didn't push anyone to buy anything nor was I pushed to sell. I was just an order taker/info provider. I also got a great discount at that time it was cost plus 5%. I bought a washer, dryer, and a stove.

mtmingus
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by mtmingus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:18 am

Why not drive for a ride share company? I was told you decide you want to drive or not in the next hour or half day - that’s flexibility!

Anyone had experience recently?

Topic Author
dalbright
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by dalbright » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:34 am

Interesting on the HD stock ESPP, thanks! This is the kind of info I was hoping to dig into more, and gives me more to research in that regards. Things that make a lower $/hour job more worthwhile. Ex. saving 10% at trader joes on groceries or a free gym membership start to add up for a small part time gig. I'm normally done with my current job M-F by 1 or 2pm (start at 445am) leaving a lot of time open the remainder of the day and weekends. I worked at a running shoe store part time for a while until the owner decided to sell it and go back to corporate America (now its a kids dance place). That funded most of my home remodeling projects about 5 years ago. Now just looking for something to help shave some years off retirement for my wife and I.

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1464
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 am

Maybe consider something entrepreneurial?

Mow small lawns of retired people? A standard suburban lawn on the small side costs about $40 for a mow/trim here and takes about an hour. Just an idea....

MARFEE
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by MARFEE » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:05 am

Three POVs from friends ...

Home Depot, retired accountant in the kitchen area, gets to play architect, loves it

Local middle school cafe server, retired from dentist office), doesn't like the work but loves the people (introverted)

Walgreens clear, worked in office (doing what, don't know), dislikes it due to lack of good co workers (nice enough but not relating to) and cranky customers (my late husband thought she had a "me problem", everyone else is at fault)

rich126
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by rich126 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:11 am

Would it benefit or interest you in taking training/classes to get a better full time job? Either online or in person?

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 20870
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:14 am

I know a few folks who work for companies that transport folks to and from medical appointments. The company provides the vehicles.

One person I know that does this serves a "niche" for folks who primarily speak the language of his Asian home country.

Make 100% sure there are no violations of rules of primary job.

pasadena
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:23 am
Location: Washington State

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by pasadena » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:52 am

rich126 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:11 am
Would it benefit or interest you in taking training/classes to get a better full time job? Either online or in person?
This. Unless you need the additional money now, if you are still young I would use that spare time to improve my skills in my current job, and further my career, increasing future prospects and income.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5225
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:02 pm

A friend took a part time job (also in Chicago) recently. He considered a few places and it came down to Home Depot and Trader Joe's (offers from both). I believe they both offered benefits if you worked 30+ hours a week. He went with Home Depot. I was surprised at the hiring process (I think 4 interviews for HD). The pay was around $20/hr. He said the insurance is very good, particularly on prescriptions (must go to Walmart though for best prices). He said they really work you and it isn't "easy" work. He did it mostly for the insurance. I imagine if you are a cashier then it is easier work, but they probably won't pay $20/hr for a cashier.

When I am at Trader Joe's, I also notice the employees hustle.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 20870
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:27 pm

A few years ago, an acquaintance of mine took a part time job with FedEx - he had to hustle a lot - at the airport moving packages.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 8865
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:36 pm

I have heard great things about Trader Joe’s from current and previous employees. They are demanding, but apparently very fair.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 5621
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Chicagoland? I've heard that Meijer has a decent 401k plan. It's worth a look.

I think the best thing to do would be to get a better job with more income potential or start a business that uses your specialized knowledge. Why is it necessary that you work from home for your real job, but can go work a bad retail job for extra money?

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 20870
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:57 pm

In my opinion, some of the best "second" or "part time" jobs are difficult to fine, for several reasons.

Networking in a field can be vital. My current, half time, job in semi-retirement was "created" as part of a long term relationship I had established with several folks there.

Some folks I know, or have know, seem to be great at finding such jobs. One, then very elderly (in her 80's) woman I knew was always looking actively for students who wanted to play the piano - and she would give piano lessons from her home.

Trader Joe
Posts: 823
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:12 pm

dalbright wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 am
I am looking to add a part time second job. I have a great primary job that is very flexible and I get to work remotely, but we are not allowed to work overtime and there is not clear room for advancement other than possible 1-2% yearly pay increases. As a result I have a large portion of my day still open which is fantastic, but I would like to put it to better use so that I can save more for retirement at this time while I am younger. I am located in the Chicago suburbs and we have some larger stores such as Home Depot, Menards, Walmart, Trader Joe's, etc nearby that I have considered applying to. Does anyone have experience with these places and the fringe benefits they offer for part time work such as 401k access/quality matching, raise potential, discounts, and other perks that are available to a 10-20 hour/wk employee. I've skimmed the usual job sites like glassdoor etc but would trust input from this group more!
I highly recommend that you apply for work at Trader Joes. Best of luck.

Topic Author
dalbright
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by dalbright » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:02 am

Trader Joe wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:12 pm
dalbright wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 am
I am looking to add a part time second job. I have a great primary job that is very flexible and I get to work remotely, but we are not allowed to work overtime and there is not clear room for advancement other than possible 1-2% yearly pay increases. As a result I have a large portion of my day still open which is fantastic, but I would like to put it to better use so that I can save more for retirement at this time while I am younger. I am located in the Chicago suburbs and we have some larger stores such as Home Depot, Menards, Walmart, Trader Joe's, etc nearby that I have considered applying to. Does anyone have experience with these places and the fringe benefits they offer for part time work such as 401k access/quality matching, raise potential, discounts, and other perks that are available to a 10-20 hour/wk employee. I've skimmed the usual job sites like glassdoor etc but would trust input from this group more!
I highly recommend that you apply for work at Trader Joes. Best of luck.
Based on your username this seems suspicious ha!

Momus
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by Momus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:16 am

Uber/lyft at 20/hr.

User avatar
BoglePaul
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by BoglePaul » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:29 am

Maybe work for Instacart or another of the gig-economy companies. Then you can work on your schedule.

smitcat
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by smitcat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:51 am

Our daughter works a number of part time jobs that pay very well, you need to look for them and see how they fit into your schedule and skills.
Perhaps look into tutoring, wine server, boat delivery, exercise trainer, etc.

BeachPerson
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Northern VA

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by BeachPerson » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:03 am

What about reffing sports? I do that. A great way to pickup extra $$$
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

thx1138
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by thx1138 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:05 am

Momus wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:16 am
Uber/lyft at 20/hr.
10/hr after expenses according to multiple surveys and studies over the past few years.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 7567
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:42 am

rich126 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:11 am
Would it benefit or interest you in taking training/classes to get a better full time job? Either online or in person?
+1
Or other effort in this direction?

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by CyclingDuo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:47 am

dalbright wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 am
I am looking to add a part time second job. I have a great primary job that is very flexible and I get to work remotely, but we are not allowed to work overtime and there is not clear room for advancement other than possible 1-2% yearly pay increases. As a result I have a large portion of my day still open which is fantastic, but I would like to put it to better use so that I can save more for retirement at this time while I am younger. I am located in the Chicago suburbs and we have some larger stores such as Home Depot, Menards, Walmart, Trader Joe's, etc nearby that I have considered applying to. Does anyone have experience with these places and the fringe benefits they offer for part time work such as 401k access/quality matching, raise potential, discounts, and other perks that are available to a 10-20 hour/wk employee. I've skimmed the usual job sites like glassdoor etc but would trust input from this group more!
Could be a very nice addition to add a part-time job with one of the big S&P 500 companies. Many offer excellent benefits to part-time workers (low cost 401k plan with match, ESPP, RSU bonus stock, health insurance, life insurance, etc...) in spite of the hourly wage pay being what it is (guessing $12-16 per hour as a starting wage on average depending on location, cost of living, and labor supply/demand where you live). You might be able to pick up 20-30 hours a week depending on your other job schedule, flexibility, etc... . Since many of them stay open until 9 PM or later, and are open on weekends you have the option of picking up plenty of hours. In other words, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to easily pick up an extra $1800-$2000 a month gross via such a part-time job.

I picked one up a year ago due to a termination in what was my main gig for the prior 16 years. The termination led me having to piece together three jobs to maintain a similar level of income. Two are still within my niche (college teaching). However, the extra part-time gig I picked up one year ago is totally non-related to what has been my career the past 35 years and is with one of the large, well known technology companies. I enjoy the work as it is relatively low stress for me compared to the past 35 years. Benefits are excellent - in my opinion - at least based on what I have had in the past three decades. ESPP of which I rifle 10% of my pay into, excellent low cost 401k with all the Vanguard funds with up to a 6% of pay match, discounts, lots of free training for personal interests such as health/wellness, financial planning, etc...) along with getting to work with a very diverse group of talented and creative colleagues. One year into it, I am viewing it as a pleasant experience that could easily end up being a transition job into retirement. I arrive with a smile and leave with a smile. Until that changes, I'm happy. I'm pretty flexible with my hours now that we are empty nesters and my teaching has been cut way back to only about 20 hours a week, so they manage to schedule me for 25-30 hours per week at the new part-time gig. There are quite a few part-timers that I work with at this tech giant job who also work full-time career jobs elsewhere, but enjoy the extra hours/income and benefits as well.

Great time to be applying with the amount of jobs available, and shortage of the labor pool. Why not apply at a few and give it a try? If you end up not liking it - you've still got your main gig.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

BV3273
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by BV3273 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:56 am

My part-time job is working on a fishing boat. I work one weekend day doing this. No benefits, but I can go fishing whenever I feel like it for free. Been doing it for 20 years. Not really work for me anymore. Much more like a day off. Of course it is only seasonal which isn’t ideal. I make enough to max my IRA for a year or two easily.

I am working on my captains license which would potentially give me the ability to work as many night shifts as I’d like. Not that I would considering I have full-time employment. I like that If I was ever in a situation where I needed to make more money or I was laid off I have this available.

Someone mentioned getting a good second job through networking. Truer words have never been spoken. If not for my network I would have never found this opportunity. My second job is unique and very much in demand and I love it.

Topic Author
dalbright
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by dalbright » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:05 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:47 am
dalbright wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 am
I am looking to add a part time second job. I have a great primary job that is very flexible and I get to work remotely, but we are not allowed to work overtime and there is not clear room for advancement other than possible 1-2% yearly pay increases. As a result I have a large portion of my day still open which is fantastic, but I would like to put it to better use so that I can save more for retirement at this time while I am younger. I am located in the Chicago suburbs and we have some larger stores such as Home Depot, Menards, Walmart, Trader Joe's, etc nearby that I have considered applying to. Does anyone have experience with these places and the fringe benefits they offer for part time work such as 401k access/quality matching, raise potential, discounts, and other perks that are available to a 10-20 hour/wk employee. I've skimmed the usual job sites like glassdoor etc but would trust input from this group more!
Could be a very nice addition to add a part-time job with one of the big S&P 500 companies. Many offer excellent benefits to part-time workers (low cost 401k plan with match, ESPP, RSU bonus stock, health insurance, life insurance, etc...) in spite of the hourly wage pay being what it is (guessing $12-16 per hour as a starting wage on average depending on location, cost of living, and labor supply/demand where you live). You might be able to pick up 20-30 hours a week depending on your other job schedule, flexibility, etc... . Since many of them stay open until 9 PM or later, and are open on weekends you have the option of picking up plenty of hours. In other words, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to easily pick up an extra $1800-$2000 a month gross via such a part-time job.

I picked one up a year ago due to a termination in what was my main gig for the prior 16 years. The termination led me having to piece together three jobs to maintain a similar level of income. Two are still within my niche (college teaching). However, the extra part-time gig I picked up one year ago is totally non-related to what has been my career the past 35 years and is with one of the large, well known technology companies. I enjoy the work as it is relatively low stress for me compared to the past 35 years. Benefits are excellent - in my opinion - at least based on what I have had in the past three decades. ESPP of which I rifle 10% of my pay into, excellent low cost 401k with all the Vanguard funds with up to a 6% of pay match, discounts, lots of free training for personal interests such as health/wellness, financial planning, etc...) along with getting to work with a very diverse group of talented and creative colleagues. One year into it, I am viewing it as a pleasant experience that could easily end up being a transition job into retirement. I arrive with a smile and leave with a smile. Until that changes, I'm happy. I'm pretty flexible with my hours now that we are empty nesters and my teaching has been cut way back to only about 20 hours a week, so they manage to schedule me for 25-30 hours per week at the new part-time gig. There are quite a few part-timers that I work with at this tech giant job who also work full-time career jobs elsewhere, but enjoy the extra hours/income and benefits as well.

Great time to be applying with the amount of jobs available, and shortage of the labor pool. Why not apply at a few and give it a try? If you end up not liking it - you've still got your main gig.
Ya, I think I need to give this a shot as I'm really looking for something with the "401k plan with match, ESPP, RSU bonus stock" type opportunities available. I'm going to start trying to ask around if I know anyone that may have something I would be a potential fit for.

Topic Author
dalbright
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by dalbright » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:15 am

To those that mentioned more schooling, I have a terminal degree in my field (chiropractic physician) and also am a volunteer Firefighter but I met my wife near my school and she has a good job teaching and has quite a few years of experience, thus we stayed local to the school which limited my ability to open an office, as the market is quite saturated here and the overhead is enormous...thus my current "main" position is rather ideal. I have considered some unrelated schooling but we are spending money for CEU's right now for my wife to get guaranteed pay bumps. We live near a very nice community college (college of dupage) thus I have not ruled it out.

bhsince87
Posts: 2382
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by bhsince87 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:19 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:47 am
dalbright wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 am
I am looking to add a part time second job. I have a great primary job that is very flexible and I get to work remotely, but we are not allowed to work overtime and there is not clear room for advancement other than possible 1-2% yearly pay increases. As a result I have a large portion of my day still open which is fantastic, but I would like to put it to better use so that I can save more for retirement at this time while I am younger. I am located in the Chicago suburbs and we have some larger stores such as Home Depot, Menards, Walmart, Trader Joe's, etc nearby that I have considered applying to. Does anyone have experience with these places and the fringe benefits they offer for part time work such as 401k access/quality matching, raise potential, discounts, and other perks that are available to a 10-20 hour/wk employee. I've skimmed the usual job sites like glassdoor etc but would trust input from this group more!
Could be a very nice addition to add a part-time job with one of the big S&P 500 companies. Many offer excellent benefits to part-time workers (low cost 401k plan with match, ESPP, RSU bonus stock, health insurance, life insurance, etc...) in spite of the hourly wage pay being what it is (guessing $12-16 per hour as a starting wage on average depending on location, cost of living, and labor supply/demand where you live). You might be able to pick up 20-30 hours a week depending on your other job schedule, flexibility, etc... . Since many of them stay open until 9 PM or later, and are open on weekends you have the option of picking up plenty of hours. In other words, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to easily pick up an extra $1800-$2000 a month gross via such a part-time job.

I picked one up a year ago due to a termination in what was my main gig for the prior 16 years. The termination led me having to piece together three jobs to maintain a similar level of income. Two are still within my niche (college teaching). However, the extra part-time gig I picked up one year ago is totally non-related to what has been my career the past 35 years and is with one of the large, well known technology companies. I enjoy the work as it is relatively low stress for me compared to the past 35 years. Benefits are excellent - in my opinion - at least based on what I have had in the past three decades. ESPP of which I rifle 10% of my pay into, excellent low cost 401k with all the Vanguard funds with up to a 6% of pay match, discounts, lots of free training for personal interests such as health/wellness, financial planning, etc...) along with getting to work with a very diverse group of talented and creative colleagues. One year into it, I am viewing it as a pleasant experience that could easily end up being a transition job into retirement. I arrive with a smile and leave with a smile. Until that changes, I'm happy. I'm pretty flexible with my hours now that we are empty nesters and my teaching has been cut way back to only about 20 hours a week, so they manage to schedule me for 25-30 hours per week at the new part-time gig. There are quite a few part-timers that I work with at this tech giant job who also work full-time career jobs elsewhere, but enjoy the extra hours/income and benefits as well.

Great time to be applying with the amount of jobs available, and shortage of the labor pool. Why not apply at a few and give it a try? If you end up not liking it - you've still got your main gig.
What do you do in this gig,if I may ask?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

student
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by student » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:26 am

dalbright wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:15 am
To those that mentioned more schooling, I have a terminal degree in my field (chiropractic physician) and also am a volunteer Firefighter but I met my wife near my school and she has a good job teaching and has quite a few years of experience, thus we stayed local to the school which limited my ability to open an office, as the market is quite saturated here and the overhead is enormous...thus my current "main" position is rather ideal. I have considered some unrelated schooling but we are spending money for CEU's right now for my wife to get guaranteed pay bumps. We live near a very nice community college (college of dupage) thus I have not ruled it out.
Interesting, you are a chiropractor and you get to work remotely. How does this work?

Topic Author
dalbright
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by dalbright » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:39 am

I perform independent medical claims reviews for worker's compensation claims and other related healthcare requests. It involves record summarizing/data entry, collecting high level research/guidelines appropriate to the particular state requirements for the requests, making determinations of medical necessity, and then either approving requests if indicated or migrating to a field specific specialist when necessary. Although not for everyone, I find the work fascinating and enjoyable and I get exposure to all of the branches of healthcare rather than just one.

student
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by student » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:45 am

dalbright wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:39 am
I perform independent medical claims reviews for worker's compensation claims and other related healthcare requests. It involves record summarizing/data entry, collecting high level research/guidelines appropriate to the particular state requirements for the requests, making determinations of medical necessity, and then either approving requests if indicated or migrating to a field specific specialist when necessary. Although not for everyone, I find the work fascinating and enjoyable and I get exposure to all of the branches of healthcare rather than just one.
Thanks for the explanation.

CascadiaSoonish
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by CascadiaSoonish » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:11 pm

As it seems that this board skews towards high-earning professionals who would presumably be used to a high degree of freedom in their careers, I have to wonder how easy it would be to adjust to working retail. Having done both I know that I personally would get frustrated really quickly if I ended up back in a low-wage, low-autonomy retail role. Might want to try it first before doing long-range planning on the assumption that a job designed for entry-level staff will be an attractive cup o' tea later in life.

sawhorse
Posts: 3290
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by sawhorse » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:49 pm

CascadiaSoonish wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:11 pm
As it seems that this board skews towards high-earning professionals who would presumably be used to a high degree of freedom in their careers, I have to wonder how easy it would be to adjust to working retail. Having done both I know that I personally would get frustrated really quickly if I ended up back in a low-wage, low-autonomy retail role. Might want to try it first before doing long-range planning on the assumption that a job designed for entry-level staff will be an attractive cup o' tea later in life.
I agree. I haven't worked retail since my 20s, and there are many jobs I would take before going back to retail. I'm a small person, and it was physically exhausting. The hours weren't as flexible as they might seem. You often have to be there early in the morning for inventory or late at night. The nights were particularly exhausting because of the cleanup (e.g., heavy vacuum cleaner, picking up lots of items on the floor and moving lots of items that got misplaced) and inventory/money counting. The pay is low, and you feel very unappreciated. Christmas season is the worst. 7am to midnight with no extra pay and customers yelling at you because it's taking too long at the checkout.

It was kind of how medical residency sounds but without a big money career to look forward to. A 50 cent per hour raise is a big deal.

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Add a second job? Trader Joes, Home depot, ???

Post by CyclingDuo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:33 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:19 am
What do you do in this gig,if I may ask?
Without an official PR release from the company, all I can say is "sales". :beer
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Post Reply