Dental/Vision Insurance for Baby

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
HistoryTeacher1129

Dental/Vision Insurance for Baby

Post by HistoryTeacher1129 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Our son is 2.5 months old. I am curious if I should place him on my dental insurance coverage (moving from Employee+1 to Employee+Family)?

If any of you have children, at what age did you place your child(ren) on your dental insurance?

Employee+1: 128.98/pay period
Employee+Family: 196.85/pay period

An 814.44 increase for dental, adding our son. Is it likely a 1.5 year old will have dental costs of more than 500. I know kids are all over the place when/if their teeth start breaking through.

The plan runs from October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2020

Vision coverage is about 10.00/month more than Employee+1.

I know we can't predict if a child (who will be 1.5 years old during this plan period) will need dental or vision coverage, but I'm just very curious as to when people placed their first child on their plan. I'm already maxing out an FSA Dependent Care (5k) and some in an FSA Flex Health Spending. Opening up a 529 plan next week. Wish my district had an HSA compatible health plan, but they do not. Just trying to manage my money as well as possible.

Appreciate any feedback from everyone who has kids.

LinusP

Re: Dental/Vision Insurance for Baby

Post by LinusP » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Even though I have pretty bad teeth myself, I find dental insurance to be of fairly questionable value. I have it some years, and do without others.

Our 21-month-old has been to the dentist a couple of times (through a local program that made it free), and it was too early both times - he's just not ready to have a stranger sticking things in his mouth yet. The dentist gave us a spare dental mirror; each night we practice him opening his mouth so we can hold the mirror in there for a little bit. Not sure when we'll try again.

Our two kids only get foods with the tiniest amounts of sugar, so I'm not all that concerned about getting them in for regular X-rays and cleanings (yet). It's mostly about developing good habits and such. We probably won't do a family dental plan until the last year's expenses make it fairly clearly worth it.

Since most kids don't need much for vision, it's probably safe to take the same approach there - add them to insurance if/when problems start occurring. Just make sure your emergency fund can absorb some of the cost and self-insure.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:23 pm

You do know that babies lose all their teeth after they get them anyways? I am not a dentist, but I would refuse X-rays on my children's non-permanent teeth.

I would not put baby on dental insurance. Also note that twice year cleanings are under about $180 each anyways, right?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

hayhayday

Post by hayhayday » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:27 pm

$198 per pay period just for dental? At those premiums I think I would strongly consider self insuring given most dental plans cap out at $1500 per year per person and premium requires you to almost max it out to break even

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:33 pm

People with dental plans that one can choose to sign up for or not are probably expensive because people who sign up for them do so only when they know they need some dental work. That's what we do. It is cheaper to pay for cleanings out of pocket. Sure, it can be a gamble, but it usually pays off because a lot of dentistry is not an emergency in my opinion.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

SanAntionetta

Post by SanAntionetta » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Our daughter is 2.5 and she is on my dental insurance. She goes in for exams every six months and they are going to start cleanings at 3. The dentist also helps us with strategies for brushing and diet.

You have to treat cavities in primary teeth or they will form abcesses! My niece (6) has quite a few fillings - the dentist said it was from eating goldfish, the particles get stuck inside.

I tend to go more for getting more coverage because otherwise you put off going to the doctor and don't get the treatment you need.

For vision we only have individual and family choices so I guess she is covered?

LinusP

Post by LinusP » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:38 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:33 pm
(...) it usually pays off because a lot of dentistry is not an emergency in my opinion.
In my opinion, a lot of dental work isn't important, let alone necessary or 'an emergency'. The Atlantic: The Truth About Dentistry

daheld

Post by daheld » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 pm

hayhayday wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:27 pm
$198 per pay period just for dental? At those premiums I think I would strongly consider self insuring given most dental plans cap out at $1500 per year per person and premium requires you to almost max it out to break even
^^^THIS. That is highway robbery. Good lord.

Topic Author
HistoryTeacher1129

Post by HistoryTeacher1129 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:58 pm

hayhayday wrote:
Definitely. It is an Incentive program. Calendar year one: 70% covered, year two: 80%... all the way to year four: 100% covered. So it is actually a good deal from my district. I'm at 80% coverage for my wife and I for 2019. Jan 1 will go up to 90% coverage across the board.

I agree, at face value, it seems like a lot. Not after what my wife went through two years ago, before we were married :happy

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 pm

I hear a major Dental Insurance Company is now going to expand to Auto Insurance. They will cover 2 oil changes per year but not accidents. :D
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Topic Author
HistoryTeacher1129

Post by HistoryTeacher1129 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:03 pm

daheld wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 pm
hayhayday wrote:
Definitely. If it were just a cost, and it had a deductible. Luckily, it is an incentive program. More expensive than the other plan, but after four calendar years, it hits 100% coverage on dental :happy We're on year 2 right now, and January 1 will be at 90% for everyone (if we added son, as well)

Topic Author
HistoryTeacher1129

Post by HistoryTeacher1129 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:04 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 pm
I hear a major Dental Insurance Company is now going to expand to Auto Insurance. They will cover 2 oil changes per year but not accidents. :D
That is awesome! Not too many people in American can change their own oil any longer :)

Topic Author
HistoryTeacher1129

Post by HistoryTeacher1129 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:09 pm

hayhayday wrote:
Is 2,376 a lot to pay per year for 100% coverage in 1.5 years? It is about 1,600 in after-tax monies we are going without. With how much my wife had to spend two years ago, and having two kids (soon) it didn't seem too far off. About $400/person.

I definitely respect that point of view though. The "incentive" plan was appealing to myself, in this case. Lower coverage in the cheaper plan, in my district.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:09 pm

for a baby, heck no.

Perhaps by age 3 for dental. (Paying for cleanings themselves is almost a waste since those teeth will fall out anyway.) But a good dentist can look at how the teeth are coming in to ensure that the child doesn't have any problems.

Eye exam by 1st grade.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:10 pm

I have very high dental costs (thank you diabetes). We do a tiny bit better than “break even” on dental insurance, which is misnamed, it’s really a pre-paid dental plan.

We didn’t put the kids on the dental plan until they were of orthodontia age.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

daheld

Post by daheld » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:12 pm

HistoryTeacher1129 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:03 pm
daheld wrote:
hayhayday wrote:
Definitely. If it were just a cost, and it had a deductible. Luckily, it is an incentive program. More expensive than the other plan, but after four calendar years, it hits 100% coverage on dental :happy We're on year 2 right now, and January 1 will be at 90% for everyone (if we added son, as well)
At $198/pay period, it costs $5148 per year. Over the course of 4 years, you'll have paid $20,592. For dental insurance. Is there even a remote likelihood that you'd incur costs anywhere near that by self-paying for dental care? If you have a catastrophic accident, yes. But the overwhelming majority of people go years just getting cleanings, then need something like a root canal or the like. Which costs...uh...not $20,592.

chisey

Post by chisey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:14 pm

I won't comment on the need to get insurance, especially at what it would cost you, but consider that many advise both an eye exam and a dental checkup before a child's first birthday, even if there aren't any issues that are apparent to you.

And the eye exam might be free if there's a participating provider nearby: http://www.infantsee.org/.

Topic Author
HistoryTeacher1129

Post by HistoryTeacher1129 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:32 pm

daheld wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:12 pm
daheld wrote:
hayhayday wrote:
At $198/pay period, it costs $5148 per year. Over the course of 4 years, you'll have paid $20,592. For dental insurance. Is there even a remote likelihood that you'd incur costs anywhere near that by self-paying for dental care? If you have a catastrophic accident, yes. But the overwhelming majority of people go years just getting cleanings, then need something like a root canal or the like. Which costs...uh...not $20,592.
I apologize, but where did you get $5148/year? I'm getting 198 x 12 (pay periods) = 2,376. Apparently, I missed the fact we went to a 26 month year haha :oops:

Topic Author
HistoryTeacher1129

Post by HistoryTeacher1129 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:37 pm

daheld wrote:
daheld wrote:
hayhayday wrote:
Apologies... 198 is a pre-tax, so only about 1,660/year in actual monies spent (after-tax dollars). A bit rich for my mathematically inclined friend.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:00 pm

I believe I waited till older kid was 6 or 7 before I added kids to dental insurance plan.
And to vision plan, which is much cheaper, at age 5 -- when I anticipated the need for vision exams for kindergarten.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:10 pm

Three years old for my first, which meant kiddo #2 was no additional cost. My dental is cheap. I'd advise a cleaning anyway - a regular check-up found an asymptomatic abscess in my kid's mouth (we surmise it was due to a fall.). Plus it gets them used to the dentist when the cleanings are easy and they have the fun of new toothbrushes.

celia

Post by celia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:40 pm

hayhayday wrote:
+1
Even if a family member needs more than $1500 of covered dental expenses a year (not counting orthodontia), the most they can usually collect is the $1500. Then another family member would have to have $900 of covered dental expenses the same year, to break even with your annual $2400 dental premium.

So, do you still think this dental plan is good for your family of 3? Well, maybe if you had 3 kids who needed orthodontia this year....

Braje

Post by Braje » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 pm

I thought that regular health insurance had some dental coverage for minor children.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:03 pm

An 814.44 increase for dental, adding our son. Is it likely a 1.5 year old will have dental costs of more than 500.
Huh?
Why would a 1.5 year old have ANY dental costs?
My kid is 7. He-s been twice to the dentist, one time for a little sealing on something that looked like a dot and once because he repeatably hit one of his front teeth and he needed a "brace" to keep it from falling. But that is not common.
I wouldn't expect a kind younger than 9-10 to have more than couple of hundred of dollars in dental costs in their entire life, assuming they brush well (and you brush them when they are small) and they don't drink fruit juice, soda, or similar stuff...
Almost the same for vision.. even if they need glasses it is not expensive to pay first year out of pocket and than you can get the insurance next year.

ICMoney

Post by ICMoney » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 pm

No, you do not need this. Our pediatric dentist will exam kids starting at age 1 but it is about a 1-2 minute process in our experience before age 3 (the kids are just not developed enough to tolerate a simple cleaning/exam). I do know two children (age 3) who had a fall and needed to have a dentist pull one of their baby teeth. At the costs you're quoting though, it doesn't seem worth it.

For vision, you are unlikely to need it until they are elementary age. And even then your school and/or pediatrician will screen for it regularly and let you know if there is an issue emerging, so you can open enroll at that time (if you even choose to... we've found that buying glasses online is so much cheaper than using a full service vision plan, so only use the bare-bones vision plan to get the exams on the cheap and buy the glasses online ourselves. Like for under $15/pair shipped, which is the right price for us since our kids' vision prescriptions can change quickly).

Best,
ICM (parent of several young children)

GlacierRunner

Post by GlacierRunner » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 pm

You might want to double check your plans to make sure there isn't a penalty for not enrolling your child in dental coverage by age 2. My recollection is that some insurances do include waiting periods if the child is not enrolled timely. Please note that dental and vision coverage is not protected by the pre-existing condition limitations applicable to Major Medical insurance.

I have known children with glasses at 9 months and my family members received glasses at 18 months. These instances were strongly related to premature birth and genetics. I personally would be getting the vision coverage due to my child's risk.

Findourway1

Post by Findourway1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 am

Starfish wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:53 pm
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:03 pm

An 814.44 increase for dental, adding our son. Is it likely a 1.5 year old will have dental costs of more than 500.
Huh?
Why would a 1.5 year old have ANY dental costs?
My kid is 7. He-s been twice to the dentist, one time for a little sealing on something that looked like a dot and once because he repeatably hit one of his front teeth and he needed a "brace" to keep it from falling. But that is not common.
I wouldn't expect a kind younger than 9-10 to have more than couple of hundred of dollars in dental costs in their entire life, assuming they brush well (and you brush them when they are small) and they don't drink fruit juice, soda, or similar stuff...
Almost the same for vision.. even if they need glasses it is not expensive to pay first year out of pocket and than you can get the insurance next year.
I agree. I have 2 kids under 3 and no dental insurance at this time. I plan to add each to the insurance once they hit 3 years during the open season.

At this time, they should be eating simple foods and getting the basics right. We control what they eat and have them brush their teeth daily.

Anything else (sugar, processed foods) is an overkill and that is where they end up needing repairs -- which is essentially what dental insurance covers.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:17 am

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:32 pm
daheld wrote:
daheld wrote:
hayhayday wrote:
I apologize, but where did you get $5148/year? I'm getting 198 x 12 (pay periods) = 2,376. Apparently, I missed the fact we went to a 26 month year haha :oops:
Most folks get paid every two weeks, which equals 26 pay periods.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:29 am

daheld wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:17 am
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:32 pm
daheld wrote:
daheld wrote:

Most folks get paid every two weeks, which equals 26 pay periods.
Yes - in my experience when people refer to pay periods they're talking about 26 pay periods per year.

If they get paid monthly they just say monthly.

So maybe roll back the sarcasm.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:35 am

We received recommendation to put our child on our dental insurance as soon as she had teeth as complications with baby teeth could impact adult teeth. So we put our baby on dental insurancr shortly after she turned 1 on my employers next yearly enrollment. I took her with me to my dentist appointment and asked him when I should bring her to the dentist. They told me they don't really do anything for babies as they cannot sit still.

We took our child off dental insurance the next year. I think we put her back on at age 4 or 5. And even then, it was a waste as she wouldn't sit still for a cleaning.

seity

Post by seity » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:15 am

My kids have good teeth genetics from both sides of the family. They are 6 and 9 and we don't have dental insurance. Although we only have preventative coverage through the health insurance for anyone. If some dental work needs were to arise, we would purchase dental insurance for 1 year if it would cost less than just paying out of pocket (almost never does).
Same thing for vision. No need for it.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:18 am

I actually asked my pediatrician and she said there was no rush. Any vision issues would be medical issues covered by health insurance, not things that are usually thought of as being covered by vision insurance. And there's no reason to start setting the dentist right away.

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:32 am

It's all dependent on the kid, the cost and genetics. My family is prone to cavities despite best efforts brushing, flossing, and with fluoride mouthwash. We didn't put our first child on right away as the family plan cost more. At age 2 she started regular check ups and now sits still for cleanings and recently had a filling with no issues. Despite the fact that children's teeth do fall out you don't want them to rot in their mouths if they do have issues.

For the second child we added them immediately since it didn't cost any more at that point.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:18 pm

While genetics is important, quality of food and brushing correctly goes a long way.
If you let a toddler or even primary school kid to brush themselves with a manual brush, and eats sweets and drinks soda and fruit juice, you cannot expect much.