Foam vs pillow-top? Mattresses for the long term

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GerryL

Foam vs pillow-top? Mattresses for the long term

Post by GerryL » Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 pm

Today I discovered that a Casper mattress store has opened in the local mall, so I went it to see how these much-hyped foam mattresses feel and to chat with the sales reps. Problem is that as comfortable as the Casper or any other foam-based mattresses might be, they are still relatively new products so it is hard to know how they hold up over the long term.

I am a person who takes care of my possessions and expects them to last for many years. Many, many years. My current mattress – a Simmons Beauty Rest – is the one I bought when I moved into my house almost 29 years ago. I have been “enhancing” it every five years with a new memory-foam topper, which makes all the difference in the world. The toppers are supposed to be good for 10 years, but I find they start to disappoint by around year five. So that is the issue with the new, high-tech foam mattresses: How long before they really need to be replaced. They say guaranteed for 10 years. I want more than that, but I could get less. (Traditional mattresses are also supposed to be replaced every 7-10 years, but I obviously do not adhere to that schedule.)

Has anyone here got any input on the durability of Caspar mattresses (now several different models available) or other foam mattresses? Comparisons with pillow-tops (which I’ve slept on in hotels)? Mattress-buying advice for people like me who are not into frequent mattress shopping?

nvambith

Re: Foam vs pillow-top? Mattresses for the long term

Post by nvambith » Sat May 18, 2019 2:58 am

I have owned a tempurpedic mattress, and I have a non-spring cotton / foam mattress now. I find that they always develop some non-flatness over a few years, no matter how you rotate them etc. The slight non-flatness doesn't really matter if you are a back sleeper, but if you are a side sleeper, you'll feel that you are falling over unless you are in the exact right spot in the mattress. The spring-based mattresses I have slept on in hotels seem to do a lot better in the flatness dept, though I have no way of knowing how old they are.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat May 18, 2019 7:55 am

There have been some good threads on mattresses in recent months. The following is a Boglehead like site for mattresses and provides great info about mattresses.
https://www.themattressunderground.com/

There are a lot of so called mattress rating sites online but almost all are paid by the mattress companies and their reviews are not objective or reliable. The Mattress Undergound rates latex mattresses superior to foam or any other type but can give opinions about any type of mattress. They have an interesting perspective on the online bed in a box industry for Casper and their cohorts.

After doing my research, I bought a latex mattress from an online discount retailer and saved a lot versus buying at brick and mortar store. I am very pleased with my mattress and expect it to outlast me.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 18, 2019 8:02 am

DW and I returned a Temperapedic for serious outgassing issues.
Also some other bedding products made with foam.
Others may have different experiences.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat May 18, 2019 8:03 am

GerryL wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 pm
Comparisons with pillow-tops (which I’ve slept on in hotels)? Mattress-buying advice for people like me who are not into frequent mattress shopping?
I'll never have another pillow-top. Paid a good deal for a mattress only to have a permanent dent in the pillow-top after a few months. Apparently this is (or at least was) common.

Had to do mattress surgery (google it) to cut off the pillow-top. Since then, I've used a latex topper and have been happy with that.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:28 am

I had a foam mattress in the 1960’s. Very comfortable. I’d lve to have it again, but bot sure what it was made of..

Unfortunately it disintegrated in the early 1980’s

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 am

GerryL wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 pm
Today I discovered that a Casper mattress store has opened in the local mall, so I went it to see how these much-hyped foam mattresses feel and to chat with the sales reps. Problem is that as comfortable as the Casper or any other foam-based mattresses might be, they are still relatively new products so it is hard to know how they hold up over the long term.

I am a person who takes care of my possessions and expects them to last for many years. Many, many years. My current mattress – a Simmons Beauty Rest – is the one I bought when I moved into my house almost 29 years ago. I have been “enhancing” it every five years with a new memory-foam topper, which makes all the difference in the world. The toppers are supposed to be good for 10 years, but I find they start to disappoint by around year five. So that is the issue with the new, high-tech foam mattresses: How long before they really need to be replaced. They say guaranteed for 10 years. I want more than that, but I could get less. (Traditional mattresses are also supposed to be replaced every 7-10 years, but I obviously do not adhere to that schedule.)

Has anyone here got any input on the durability of Caspar mattresses (now several different models available) or other foam mattresses? Comparisons with pillow-tops (which I’ve slept on in hotels)? Mattress-buying advice for people like me who are not into frequent mattress shopping?
Maybe you don't need a new mattress. I've had my mattress for decades. It was handmade in a small mattress shop when people were craftsmen and craftswomen. Several years ago it started to feel too hard, as I got older and my body was less resilient, I suppose. Someone recommended a wool mattress topper from these people:

http://www.zwool.com/buy-wool-online/wo ... ress-pads/

And it has worked very well. They will make custom sizes and the things are washable. I don't wash mine very often because I have a regular mattress pad on top of it so it doesn't need it. Also no worries about reactions to latex or foam disintegrating.
Last edited by fru-gal on Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeal

Post by zeal » Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 am

carolinaman wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:55 am
There have been some good threads on mattresses in recent months. The following is a Boglehead like site for mattresses and provides great info about mattresses.

There are a lot of so called mattress rating sites online but almost all are paid by the mattress companies and their reviews are not objective or reliable. The Mattress Undergound rates latex mattresses superior to foam or any other type but can give opinions about any type of mattress. They have an interesting perspective on the online bed in a box industry for Casper and their cohorts.

After doing my research, I bought a latex mattress from an online discount retailer and saved a lot versus buying at brick and mortar store. I am very pleased with my mattress and expect it to outlast me.
Thanks for that link, carolinaman.

Nothing really to contribute to OP's question--posting to the topic because I have the same question and am curious what answers you get.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Sat May 18, 2019 8:55 am

Myself and friends/family have had excellent results from the Novaform brand (memory foam) at Costco. We are two years into ours with no issues, and when we got it my back pain disappeared almost literally overnight. I believe our queen size was $500 on sale.

I doubt I’ll change your mind, but as the old saying goes, don’t skimp on the things that separate you from the ground (mattress, tires, shoes). Maybe you can make a mattress last 20 years but of all thing things to skimp on... really? Take care of your body so it can take care of you!

Topic Author
GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat May 18, 2019 1:14 pm

il0kin wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:55 am
Myself and friends/family have had excellent results from the Novaform brand (memory foam) at Costco. We are two years into ours with no issues, and when we got it my back pain disappeared almost literally overnight. I believe our queen size was $500 on sale.

I doubt I’ll change your mind, but as the old saying goes, don’t skimp on the things that separate you from the ground (mattress, tires, shoes). Maybe you can make a mattress last 20 years but of all thing things to skimp on... really? Take care of your body so it can take care of you!
Yes. I've been using Novaform toppers from Costco. The difference the first time I put one on the bed was amazing. For a while I was rushing home from work so I could go to bed early and enjoy the experience!
I also believe it is important to shop carefully for certain items, but I consider things that I are on or next to my body for significant stretches of my life: shoes, glasses and mattresses, in particular. Would never buy those online. (Sorry Warby Parker.)

Topic Author
GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat May 18, 2019 2:30 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks for the link. I just checked it out and have bookmarked it for ongoing research -- for when I finally decide to get a new mattress.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:02 pm

GerryL wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:14 pm
...I also believe it is important to shop carefully for certain items, but I consider things that I are on or next to my body for significant stretches of my life: shoes, glasses and mattresses, in particular. Would never buy those online. (Sorry Warby Parker.)
For glasses and shoes, you can absolutely find deals on the same products, saving 80% online. Literally for the same identical products. For shoes, you just put them on and go, same as buying in-store as long as you know your model and size. For glasses, there can be some adjusting, but if you learn how to do this once, the skill will last you a lifetime. You also won't be SOL if you step or sit on your glasses (or someone else does), and you need them readjusted. Cheers.

Topic Author
GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat May 18, 2019 3:39 pm

nalor511 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:02 pm
GerryL wrote:
...I also believe it is important to shop carefully for certain items, but I consider things that I are on or next to my body for significant stretches of my life: shoes, glasses and mattresses, in particular. Would never buy those online. (Sorry Warby Parker.)
For glasses and shoes, you can absolutely find deals on the same products, saving 80% online. Literally for the same identical products. For shoes, you just put them on and go, same as buying in-store as long as you know your model and size. For glasses, there can be some adjusting, but if you learn how to do this once, the skill will last you a lifetime. You also won't be SOL if you step or sit on your glasses (or someone else does), and you need them readjusted. Cheers.
Certainly you can find deals online, but it's not a deal if it's "not quite right." I try on many shoes in my (hard-to-find) size before buying a pair. Only time I would buy online is if it is the exact same model that I have bought and worn -- and there is free return. Glasses? Never. Fitting is critical for progressive lenses, and could take more than one visit to get just right. It's also handy to have a friendly optometrist who to consult whenever.
As for mattresses, if you buy online with a 100-night guarantee, that's great. But what do you do with your old mattress? It's hard enough to get rid of an old memory foam topper. How DO you get rid of an old mattress?

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat May 18, 2019 4:04 pm

GerryL wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:39 pm
How DO you get rid of an old mattress?
These generally go into a landfill. Some of these online companies are hauling them away as part of their service.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 pm

GerryL wrote:
il0kin wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:55 am

Yes. I've been using Novaform toppers from Costco. The difference the first time I put one on the bed was amazing. For a while I was rushing home from work so I could go to bed early and enjoy the experience!
I also believe it is important to shop carefully for certain items, but I consider things that I are on or next to my body for significant stretches of my life: shoes, glasses and mattresses, in particular. Would never buy those online. (Sorry Warby Parker.)
I totally understand wanting to buy it for a long time for both cost efficiency and keeping waste from landfills, but at $500, if you utilize the Novaform mattress for 6-8 years (average expectancy) it is very reasonably priced especially compared to the absurdly expensive Tempurpedic brand. If you're happy with the toppers, take the leap and buy the mattress! It has been a wonderful asset for our health and comfort. Good luck!

four7s

Post by four7s » Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 pm

We purchased an adjustable (electric) frame with a latex mattress. Perhaps the best bed we have ever owned. Latex has a small % of market and is not inexpensive but is well worth looking into.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sun May 19, 2019 3:14 pm

GerryL wrote:
But what do you do with your old mattress? It's hard enough to get rid of an old memory foam topper. How DO you get rid of an old mattress?
Trash hauling companies will take them to the landfill, usually for an extra fee since the landfill people charge extra for mattresses. You can't donate them because organizations worry about bedbugs.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun May 19, 2019 4:33 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:14 pm
GerryL wrote:
But what do you do with your old mattress? It's hard enough to get rid of an old memory foam topper. How DO you get rid of an old mattress?
Trash hauling companies will take them to the landfill, usually for an extra fee since the landfill people charge extra for mattresses. You can't donate them because organizations worry about bedbugs.
We were informed that the guys who delivered and set up our latex matress would not take our old mattress and box spring away. After I tipped them for the delivery and set up, they were happy to take our old stuff when we asked about it. That is not applicable to a good percentage of purchases these days though, but it was well worth the small tip we gave those guys.

The same method worked for replacing our beer refrigerator also, but the delivery guys told us that was their usual procedure despite our having been told by the freight company that it was not. I guess it never hurts to ask.