Gardening/Wedding/Planning

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mrsbetsy

Gardening/Wedding/Planning

Post by mrsbetsy » Fri May 17, 2019 11:02 pm

Our daughter's boyfriend just asked us for her hand in marriage!! They are 28 years old and we are super duper happy. She thinks she would like a backyard wedding at our house. Her favorite colors are blue and silver/blue and white. They have not set a date yet. What would you plant NOW that would be beautiful when they marry about 10 months from now? We currently have mostly weed after a loooong Northern California rainy winter, but working on building a backyard vegetable garden. The yard has a major full sun 1st level, and terrace for two levels, which are shaded by a substantial pine. Wow...here we go!

While I applaud them for their frugal ways, I'm a little freaked out and intimidated about how to create a beautiful venue.

Re: Gardening/Wedding/Planning

Post by 123 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:21 pm

Expecting a lush garden in March might be dicey. Maybe an expanse of broccoli?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

fposte

Post by fposte » Fri May 17, 2019 11:34 pm

I would either go for containers or for annuals planted close to the event and assume they won’t last, especially in the shade.

scout1

Post by scout1 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:01 am

My wife and I got married in our backyard less than a year ago. We liked that all the work we put into the yard would stay with us after the wedding. With less than a year, a perennial I would recommend are hostas. There are a lot of beautiful variety and they do well in shade. Nice grass, weeding and putting bark down also help.

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Sat May 18, 2019 2:35 am

Liriope are hardy, do well in the shade and have white or purple beadlike flowers at some point in their life cycle.

Cocoa mulch can be a nice touch. Be sure to have a backup plan for rainy weather.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat May 18, 2019 6:21 am

Congratulations! I would make a plan that’s simple and hire help if necessary to avoid stress about the yard.

If your yard is mainly weeds right now, perhaps focus on getting yard, decks and patios cleaned up, pruned and grass growing over the next 10 months for the wedding venue backdrop. Then bring in container plants right before the wedding. Place an order with a local nursery. They can do mixed pots, for example, that you can plop into decorative pots around your yard and hardscape.

You and the wedding couple need a plan for the space (check the internet for suggestions) as it may affect your landscaping plans - i.e., placement of guest tables/chairs, bar and catering tables, are caterers using your kitchen, are they renting a dance floor and tents in case of inclement weather, do you need mosquito spray done if an evening wedding, parking, good lighting if at night, bathroom/port-a-potty, house cleaners just prior to event if people will be in your house, music, etc.

Best of luck!