Instant Coffee?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Instant Coffee?

Post by nisiprius » Fri May 17, 2019 6:07 pm

A general tip about instant coffee.

A little-known "secret" is that although the powder dissolves instantly, it actually takes about five minutes for it to reconstitute properly. So if you are keeping it for occasional use, if you are going to serve it to guests, take the time to let it sit, preferably in something insulated that won't cool down too quickly... or in a microwave on a "keep warm" setting.

I've also found that "coffee bags" like these,

which contain a mixture of instant and ground coffee, are better than most just-plain "instant" coffee. Again, let the bag steep for a good five minutes.

No, it is not as good as proper brewed ground coffee. But instant coffee or coffee bags that have steeped for five minutes are "Eh, it's coffee. It's not very good coffee, but it's OK, it's better than nothing." While instant coffee drunk as soon as it seems to have dissolved is... really disgusting.

But, you will say, if you have to let it steep five minutes, you could make brewed coffee in the same time... or Keurig coffee faster than that. Yes, you could. So it's pointless in terms of preparation speed. But it's not pointless in terms of "making small amounts of sorta-OK coffee occasionally."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Socrates

There is nothing worse than

Post by Socrates » Fri May 17, 2019 6:50 pm

instant coffee......except maybe a bad reggae band

:beer
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Fri May 17, 2019 7:12 pm

If you have to serve instant coffee to guests, offer them tea instead. You are not running a bar and instant coffee is tacky.

That said, decent instant coffee can be purchased in Italy.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:38 pm

The parents of a very good friend of mine are coffee producers. Her preferred brand of coffee has always been NESCAFÉ .

Not some fancy "poured over" carefully curated blend of single estate beans. Just simple NESCAFÉ.

Link - https://www.nestleusa.com/brands/coffee/clasico

Some aficionados might mock instant coffee (and light beer / white zinfandel).

I would supposition that more consumers ENJOY instant coffee (and light beer /white zinfandel) than reject same.

Have no shame in offering your guests NESCAFÉ CLASICO Dark Roast Instant Coffee. It is the number one brand in Latin America.

Andy Warhol was talking about COKE but if we were to substitute NESCAFÉ ...

You can be watching TV and see NESCAFÉ, and you know that the President drinks NESCAFÉ, Liz Taylor drinks NESCAFÉ, and just think, you can drink NESCAFÉ, too. A NESCAFÉ is a NESCAFÉ and no amount of money can get you a better NESCAFÉ than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the NESCAFÉs are the same and all the NESCAFÉs are good. And it is delicious.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri May 17, 2019 11:09 pm

I feel that I must say that as a a guest, you should norm in to the host's offerings.
And as a host, you need to anticipate a reasonable comfort level for your guests. Which the OP is trying to do.

I'm surprised at how many guests would be offended by what seems to me to be a reasonable alternative to their "usual".

As an example, I was raised on freshly brewed coffee and real butter. When later in life my family and I visited friends and others in the family in another country, we were greeted almost universally with instant coffee and margarine! While we remarked in private at the surprise, the whole point was visiting friends and family, not what we ate.

It's a good skill to be able to adapt as circumstances require. Dig in and enjoy!

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Sat May 18, 2019 12:10 am

DWesterb2iz2 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:52 pm
Ricola wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:51 am
Nescafe Classico
https://www.nestleusa.com/brands/coffee/clasico
Seconded! It’s “Clasico” with one “s”. Took my mother in law to Tahiti and stayed in small hotels. We got tins of Clasico and a $25 electric kettle at a local store there and had instant coffee every morning in whatever little place we were staying that day. Got hooked on it and buy jars of it here now. Have for years.

When we left Tahiti, we gave the kettle to the maid of our final hotel, and she was so happy, she welled up. I’ll always remember that response.

Anyway, years later we were in a posh hotel in Italy, and they had little sleeves of Clasico in the fancy rooms there, just like we had for ourselves in the modest rooms in the South Pacific. It’s good stuff.
It is "classico" 2 "s" in Italy and "clasico" 1 "s" in latin america. Two different things; you can easily tell by just looking at the granules.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Sat May 18, 2019 12:20 am

sport wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:52 pm
I am not a coffee drinker, but occasionally I want to serve it to others. Is there such a thing as instant coffee that is any good? All I have heard are negative comments.
+1 to Starbucks Via. It’s the best instant coffee I’ve tried, and is readily available.

Also, a small no-frills Keurig can be had for less than $80 and it makes tea as well as passably decent coffee.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat May 18, 2019 12:34 am

Nescafe Clasico! Pretty good.

kamikazekid

Post by kamikazekid » Sat May 18, 2019 5:34 am

Go to the nearest Indian store. Look for a BRU instant coffee. Its my favorite - i use 1.5 tea spoons per cup and 1/2 spoon sugar. Just had a morning cuppa a few minutes ago. For a better effect use a aerolatte to foam it up. Let me know how it goes!!

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:22 am

Louisiana resident here...Instant Coffee? Heresy! :oops: I think there is a Stale of Louisiana law prohibiting that in the books....

Summit

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 am

Summit111 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:22 am
Louisiana resident here...Instant Coffee? Heresy! :oops: I think there is a Stale of Louisiana law prohibiting that in the books....

Summit
I guess someone didn't get the memo.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Sat May 18, 2019 7:35 am

Tangentially, given all the mentions of Nescafé... I don't know anything about patterns of distribution, but it suddenly occurs to me that in the area I live in, I haven't seen Nescafé in years. I mean, I guess it's there, but I remember looking for quality instant coffee a few years back and not seeing it... certainly not the Nescafé Clasico so many posters here seem to be praising.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am

douginct wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:35 pm
No offense please - I am a coffee drinker and if I was visiting someone and the only coffee they had was instant, I would just skip it. I have never had an instant coffee that I would call acceptable.
+1

I'll take it a step further - I politely decline anything other than freshly roasted whole bean coffee. I spent too many years of my adult life thinking that I hated coffee when in reality I just hated what most Americans think passes for coffee.

To the OP, I've seen a couple people recommend tea instead and I would second that. Tea lasts much, much longer than coffee when stored under similar conditions. Vendors like Harney and Sons sell their loose leaf tea in sachets, so you get the quality of loose leaf in the convenience of a tea bag. The only downside is they're not cost-effective for regular consumers which doesn't apply to you. I think if you had English Breakfast, a Jasmine Green and maybe something like Harney's Hot Cinnamon Spice on hand you'd be able to please more people than with instant coffee.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Sat May 18, 2019 11:16 am

Via is very good but $$$. Bustelo is more like espresso, I also like it.
DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:12 pm
PLEASE make sure you warn coffee drinkers before you attempt to serve them instant coffee in place of real coffee.
For a lot of us coffee drinkers - we would rather go without than drink instant.

My recommendation is also to keep a small drip coffee maker or french press or "pour-over" set-up or single-serve Keurig-machine on hand.

Be kind to your guests - have some real coffee on hand :)
If it's the afternoon or evening, maybe I would skip, but generally I'm not drinking coffee anyway. Morning, I'll take whatever you have and be thankful.

Having "real coffee" on hand is something that can get complicated, because some won't want coffee from preground coffee (beans freshly ground only), then there are the types of beans (origin/roast/etc.), how you grind the beans, and the way the coffee is brewed (Drip? French Press? Espresso machine? Aeropress?) That way lies madness since you cannot satisfy everyone. Yes, a can of Folgers in the freezer and a cheap drip maker is going to be better than instant, but if someone is going to refuse instant, ask them to bring their own coffee or have them understand that they'll need to make a morning run.

I'm a big coffee drinker but don't have expectations as a guest that my host will even have coffee (unless I know them to like coffee.) I've brought my own sometimes. That's usually Bustelo since it's strong and relatively inexpensive.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat May 18, 2019 11:38 am

Generally speaking I don't think most coffee drinkers would like instant coffee even under the circumstances you describe.
At one time I worked at a place that did not have a lot of drinkers so there was not a department pot that was going all the time. I chose to use Kava instant coffee which I thought was acceptable at the time and also seemed to be a bit easier on my stomach.
It has been years since I have had any so can't vouch for it currently.
Bob

hudson

Post by hudson » Sat May 18, 2019 12:40 pm

one vote for Nescafe Clasico
The mild version is good.
For instant decaf, I'll use Folgers decaf...it's not in the same class with Clasico or Clasico Mild.
Last edited by hudson on Sat May 18, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnfmh

Post by Johnfmh » Sat May 18, 2019 3:43 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Espro-Travel-Cof ... pons&psc=1

I travel with this unbreakable French press. Love it. I am never going back to instant.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat May 18, 2019 4:09 pm

A Melitta single cup brewer is cheap, no bigger than a coffee mug, has no moving parts, and is quicker than instant coffe, which will taste the same as any drip coffee brewer.

Buy half a pound of a nice light roast (more caffeine than dark roast) before your company arrives, and you’ll be golden.

Use one of those 30% off coupons for your local “Big Box and Beyond” store (let the reader understand) buy a Melitta, and you’re set. I love my Melitta for camping. Or RVing.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.