Where to buy a movie (Amazon/Google/iTunes/PS)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Pomegranate

Where to buy a movie (Amazon/Google/iTunes/PS)?

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:26 am

I recently watched a movie and want to buy it but I think last time I bought smth on DVD 5 years back lol.
My son has a Playstation 4 so one of the options is PS network. Would love to hear your experience about Amazon/Google/iTunes/PS (maybe I missed other options?)

student

Re: Where to buy a movie (Amazon/Google/iTunes/PS)?

Post by student » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:31 am

I use Amazon and Vudu.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:47 am

How are you going to be watching it? We watch on iPad and chromecast so Google play works best for us. I think we've bought two movies since ipads were invented.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:54 am

mega317 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:47 am
How are you going to be watching it? We watch on iPad and chromecast so Google play works best for us. I think we've bought two movies since ipads were invented.
I'd say on TV. It has an Amazon app, PS4 attached, Youtube and I can mirror the screen of my laptop

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:03 am

If you use Apple devices, I recommend iTunes. I find it easier to watch a purchased movie on any device, and to share with family members - via Apple’s Family Sharing service https://www.apple.com/family-sharing/

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:03 am

If you're talking about the digital version, then we've used Amazon and iTunes. Both work fine on phones, iPads, laptops, Apple TV (Amazon and iTunes app).

We also signed up for the "Movies Anywhere" service, which aggregates all your movie purchases from the different vendors. It even works for the Disney DVDs we've purchased for the kiddos that come with Digital Download codes. Movies Anywhere really helps the different service providers "play nice".
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:09 am

We use Movies Anywhere. (I see Texan posted while I was typing... :wink: )

It consolidates all (most) of your digital purchases.

Here are the participating vendors:

iTunes
Prime Video
VUDU
xFinity
Google Play
Microsoft TV & Movies
FandangoNow

I usually check a few and see if there is a price difference or special deal.

On our Fire TV boxes, with the Movies Anywhere app installed, they all come together. If you buy a movie with the Digital Version, you enter the code at the site and it shows up. Pretty slick.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:14 am

I know it is passé, but you can get physical media aka DVDs very cheaply on eBay (not including recent releases).

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:15 am

Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:26 am
I recently watched a movie and want to buy it but I think last time I bought smth on DVD 5 years back lol.
My son has a Playstation 4 so one of the options is PS network. Would love to hear your experience about Amazon/Google/iTunes/PS (maybe I missed other options?)
It is cheaper and better to buy the movie on DVD.

KlangFool

mamboking

Post by mamboking » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:16 am

I regularly check https://slickdeals.net/deals/digital-download/ for deals. Vudu has good "bundle" deals if you like buying trilogies or series. Mostly I buy from Amazon and Vudu. I also use MoviesAnywhere (when I can).
Kevin

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:29 am

KlangFool wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:15 am
Pomegranate wrote:

KlangFool
You'll have to define better. Pretty hard or at least inconvenient to watch a DVD on an airplane, or at the same time as live TV if there are competing interests.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 am

mega317 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:29 am
KlangFool wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

KlangFool
You'll have to define better. Pretty hard or at least inconvenient to watch a DVD on an airplane, or at the same time as live TV if there are competing interests.
mega317,

When you owned a DVD, you owned the right to encode the movie on your PC and stream to yourself. I have a streaming server at home. I can stream via DLNA or Airplay to any of my devices.

It is the same concept for music CDs.

KlangFool

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:42 am

KlangFool wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

KlangFool
Stop the presses! I agree with KlangFool on something! :P

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 am

Klangfool,
Your post makes a lot of sense and is clearly better for you. It's not better for some of us. I don't watch a ton of movies. I have no easy way of getting a DVD from disc to my computer, I don't have a streaming server, I don't have a TV that can receive airplay and I don't know what DLNA is. I'd prefer to pay a little more to have it instantly on my ipad and TV and take the small risk that at some time in the future I will no longer have access to the movie.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:12 am

If you're looking to watch movies in a digital format to any extent, then learning what DLNA is would benefit you.

I also agree with KlangFool (and am also amazed), buying the DVD and copying it digitally to devices.

I'd also point out, for those that don't know it, that in addition to streaming services, some of which are "free" because you're paying for them anyway, some libraries lend out DVDs for little to no cost. Our library is no cost. We watch stuff from Netflix and other "pay" systems totally free, 6 to 12 months after they are in the theater.

Just watched Laurel and Hardy. Picking up today - Creed II, On the basis of sex, House of Cards final season, Love Gilda, Black '47, and The Front Runner (listed to show they're fairly current).
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:16 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:12 am
If you're looking to watch movies in a digital format to any extent, then learning what DLNA is would benefit you.
How so?

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:21 am

mega317 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 am
Klangfool,
Your post makes a lot of sense and is clearly better for you. It's not better for some of us. I don't watch a ton of movies. I have no easy way of getting a DVD from disc to my computer, I don't have a streaming server, I don't have a TV that can receive airplay and I don't know what DLNA is. I'd prefer to pay a little more to have it instantly on my ipad and TV and take the small risk that at some time in the future I will no longer have access to the movie.
mega317,

If you have Verizon Fios service, the Fios WiFi router is a streaming server. You just need to put your stuff into USB flash stick and plug into your router.

KlangFool

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:32 am

mega317 wrote:
Klangfool,
If you have a DVD, there are apps/services (Vudu for example) that will convert a DVD to a streaming/downloadable version. When I first did this, I installed VUDU app on my PC and then inserted my DVD and the movie was converted for $1-2 (more if you wanted HD version). Given that DVDs are no longer readily available on modern computers, VUDU now supports conversion by scanning the barcode on the DVD box. Once the title has been converted, it can be viewed on a wide array of devices (smartTV, streaming box, game console, tablet, smartphone, iPod Touch etc) with the VUDU app installed on those devices. If traveling, it is possible to download the content to your device to view offline. The conversion is instantaneous as it basically identifies your title and then compares it to digital download titles that they have and grants you the license to those online titles.

Vudu disk to digital: https://www.vudu.com/content/in_home_di ... gital.html
Vudu supported devices: https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/services

You can visit the vudu disk to digital page to see if your title is one that is available for conversion.

The cost of the movie on DVD and conversion may be cheaper the going to get the title directly at any of the online streaming services.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:40 am

RickBoglehead wrote:

I also agree with KlangFool (and am also amazed), buying the DVD and copying it digitally to devices.

I'd also point out, for those that don't know it, that in addition to streaming services, some of which are "free" because you're paying for them anyway, some libraries lend out DVDs for little to no cost. Our library is no cost. We watch stuff from Netflix and other "pay" systems totally free, 6 to 12 months after they are in the theater.

Just watched Laurel and Hardy. Picking up today - Creed II, On the basis of sex, House of Cards final season, Love Gilda, Black '47, and The Front Runner (listed to show they're fairly current).
Most of what we watch comes from the library. This weekend was Interstellar, Christopher Robin and Deadpool 2. You can even go online, reserve what you want from any branch in the system and they will transfer it to your local branch, all at no cost*.

* Paid for by the kind homeowners of my county via property tax assessment, myself included.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:44 am

Kenkat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:40 am
RickBoglehead wrote:

Most of what we watch comes from the library. This weekend was Interstellar, Christopher Robin and Deadpool 2. You can even go online, reserve what you want from any branch in the system and they will transfer it to your local branch, all at no cost*.

* Paid for by the kind homeowners of my county via property tax assessment, myself included.
Our library also transfers the DVDs from any of the branches to ours.

Yes, we pay quite a bit for the library in our taxes. It's a line item.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:48 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:42 am
KlangFool wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

KlangFool
Me too.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:48 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

KlangFool
Me too.
You all are wrong. DVDs are outdated. Blu-ray discs would be the physical option, either HD (1080p) or UHD (4K).

OP, I would pick whatever service you already use or is most convenient or compatible with your devices. Otherwise, if you are looking for a specific format like 4K, you might have to check availability for it. Anecdotally, I think Vudu has more options for 4K formats than Amazon.

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:56 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 am
mega317 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

KlangFool
mega317,

When you owned a DVD, you owned the right to encode the movie on your PC and stream to yourself. I have a streaming server at home. I can stream via DLNA or Airplay to any of my devices.

KlangFool
That's EXACTLY I want to avoid lol :sharebeer Buy a DVD then encode it then buy a new proper HDD for you PC then migrate to streaming server then spend 4 figures on acoustics then remodel a house to get a nice cinema room then spend 5 figures on audio cables and then end up in assisted living for low income seniors :mrgreen:

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:06 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:56 pm
KlangFool wrote:
mega317 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

KlangFool
mega317,

KlangFool
That's EXACTLY I want to avoid lol :sharebeer Buy a DVD then encode it then buy a new proper HDD for you PC then migrate to streaming server then spend 4 figures on acoustics then remodel a house to get a nice cinema room then spend 5 figures on audio cables and then end up in assisted living for low income seniors :mrgreen:
Pomegranate,

1) Your Fios router and/or current WiFi router is a streaming server. Aka, any router with USB slots.

2) Your existing USB flash drive is big enough.

3) It will be stream to your IPAD and/or phone and/or PC

So, where is the new hardware?

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
One beef with Amazon is they don't play nice with others. I use Chromecast at home and Amazon videos are terrible. I think they are trying to get people to buy their stick. To get Amazon to play well at home, I must use Firefox and plug a laptop into the TV via HDMI. What a pain! For that reason, I usually rent/play videos from Google play. They play beautifully via my phone on the Chromecast connnected to my TV. I'm not sure if you will have problems on your Playstation but I suspect Amazon sees them as a competitor also. BTW, Netflix streams beautifully on Chromecast also, so I'm pretty sure Amazon is doing something to make their video choppy in Chrome and with Chromecasts.

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:29 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:06 pm
Pomegranate wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
mega317 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

KlangFool
mega317,

KlangFool
Pomegranate,

1) Your Fios router and/or current WiFi router is a streaming server. Aka, any router with USB slots.

KlangFool
1) Horrible choice. CPU isn't powerful enough, IOPS for the router's USB is awful
2) I currently have 2 USB drives (16Gb each) and it's occupied by OS images. But it's good to know that "Your existing USB flash drive is big enough", 25GB blue ray movie (and we're not even touching 4k) will definitely fit - you really know how to think out of the box :oops:
3) I want to watch on TV like I mentioned earlier

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:29 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:06 pm
Pomegranate wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
mega317 wrote:

mega317,

KlangFool
Pomegranate,

KlangFool
1) Horrible choice. CPU isn't powerful enough, IOPS for the router's USB is awful
2) I currently have 2 USB drives (16Gb each) and it's occupied by OS images. But it's good to know that "Your existing USB flash drive is big enough", 25GB blue ray movie (and we're not even touching 4k) will definitely fit - you really know how to think out of the box :oops:
3) I want to watch on TV like I mentioned earlier
Is the PS4 not capable of playing either DVD and/or blue ray disk?

KlangFool

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:52 am

If your TV/streamer/stereo supports such, iTunes does a good job of supporting 4K Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos surround sound. Netflix does as well fwiw.

DVD? 720x480 resolution? What is this 1999?! :D

I'm quite "techy", yet don't have the interest in or patience to mess with ripping physical media onto servers. Time is money. A good 1080P bluray looks fantastic so i'll occasionally pick one up on sale, but really, streaming compression is pretty decent these days. (my audio/videophileself dies inside saying that)

queso

Post by queso » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:56 am

I don't really trust that they have all the issues sorted out with digital ownership yet. I figure I'm one format change, acquisition or bankruptcy away from losing my access to any purchased content so I usually buy used Blu-rays on Amazon. They always come in excellent shape and are only a few bucks. If there becomes some kind of cross platform universal standard that doesn't involve jumping through hoops and downloading a bunch of shareware converters every time I decide I want to move to a different provider and want to take my content with me I'll stop buying physical media.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:22 am

Ketawa wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:48 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

KlangFool
Me too.
You all are wrong. DVDs are outdated. Blu-ray discs would be the physical option, either HD (1080p) or UHD (4K).
DVD is usually cheaper, so that's what I buy. And why is it called 4K? Doesn't make sense. In prior resolutions, they're referred to by the number of vertical pixels. That is to say, how my rows of pixels there are. 720p has 720 rows, 1080p has 1080 rows, etc. But then with so-called 4K, there are only 2160 rows of pixels. It should be called 2160p (assuming progressive instead of interlaced). But no, they switched it to the number of columns of pixels, which isn't even 4,000. It's 3840. So they switched to the bigger number and then rounded up. I'm on to you, marketers.
mega317 wrote:
I have no easy way of getting a DVD from disc to my computer
Your computer doesn't have a DVD or blu-ray drive?

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:37 am

I'm not afraid of tech, but having briefly toyed with ripping DVDs to HD format, it's an utter waste of time and energy. Just pony up the extra few bucks and download the darn thing in all its 4k glory if that's what you're after. Time is money.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:35 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:22 am
mega317 wrote:
Not since my 2009 macbook pro. Currently use a pixelbook. My wife has a macbook air. My most recent computer/backup is a Lenovo Yoga. My work computer is one of those small form factor desktops.

This whole tangent was based on a comment that DVDs are cheaper and better. Well I need to buy more equipment and spend more time to make it work so it's neither for me. Also how would I get it from my router to my TV? Does Chromecast work for that?

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:07 pm

mega317 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:35 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:22 am
mega317 wrote:
Not since my 2009 macbook pro. Currently use a pixelbook. My wife has a macbook air. My most recent computer/backup is a Lenovo Yoga. My work computer is one of those small form factor desktops.

This whole tangent was based on a comment that DVDs are cheaper and better. Well I need to buy more equipment and spend more time to make it work so it's neither for me. Also how would I get it from my router to my TV? Does Chromecast work for that?
How would I know how to get it from a router to a TV or how a Chromecast works? When I want to watch a movie on my TV, I put the disc in my blu-ray player. When I want to watch a movie on my computer, I put the disc in my blu-ray drive. If I wanted to connect something on my computer to my TV, I wouldn't go through a router at all - I'd plug the computer into the TV via an HDMI cable.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:34 am

Pomegranate wrote:
What is majority of your home devices' platform? We are all apple family and it is easier to just keep everything on iTunes, even though at times it is costlier than the alternatives.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 am

We don't get DVD's from the library because so many are in poor shape and lock up somewhere, usually at the most interesting/exciting part of the movie.

We have a Roku, but don't use it because we don't like the user interface (hard to go back a few seconds to hear some dialog we missed), plus it's a pain to move around and enter text with the remote.

After trying a lot of things, I found the best (for us) is to connect an old laptop to the TV via HDMI cable and we get most media from Amazon. The user interface is the best because it's a real computer. Our public library allows free access to some streaming services like Acorn as well.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:18 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 am
We don't get DVD's from the library because so many are in poor shape and lock up somewhere, usually at the most interesting/exciting part of the movie.
I had this problem; when I replaced my older, aging DVD player with a new Blu-Ray player, the problem went away. I think over time, the ability of the player to read the DVD degrades over time, so the combination of errors on the disk plus reduced ability of the DVD player = read errors.