Granny Cam

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
remomnyc

Granny Cam

Post by remomnyc » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Has anyone installed indoor security cameras to monitor their parents and parents' caretakers? If so, any recommendations? Ideally, it would be easy to install and use, with a clear picture, and any of their children could log-in to check on them.

Sandtrap

Re: Granny Cam

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Recent thread on this.
Granny Cam
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=277318

Topic Author
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks, Sandtrap. I forgot to search before I posted. I will check out the link.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:48 pm

I don't believe the idea of watching the caretakers was addressed in that thread. Definitely a vulnerable situation. Not quite the same but my neighbor installed a nanny cam and fired her nanny the first day based on what she saw. And the nanny knew there was a camera!

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:06 am

mega317 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:48 pm
I don't believe the idea of watching the caretakers was addressed in that thread. Definitely a vulnerable situation. Not quite the same but my neighbor installed a nanny cam and fired her nanny the first day based on what she saw. And the nanny knew there was a camera!
One of my CNAs has a disabled daughter that requires nursing care during the time she is working. She uses a camera to check on her daughter's well-being. The nurses know about the camera, and it keeps them more attentive of her daughter's care.

Her house, her rules.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

MangoMama

Post by MangoMama » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:18 am

Highly recommend looking at Wyzecam (available on amazon). You get a lot of bang for the buck ($25 for a camera, $35 for a pan/tilt) and it comes with tons of features. Very easy to setup and share video feeds if needed. Lots of updates and fixes to app and firmware, and their engineers are quick to respond to issues. Use's standard microSD's for long term event storage; uses AWS for 12sec notifications.

You can get notifications based on motion, sound, CO or smoke alarms. There is also some Alex and IFFT integration. We have about 5-6 throughout the house, two are outside. They're just coming out with a new Sense product too.

edit: if multiple people want to check-in on feeds, we just install the app on whichever phone needs access with the same credentials instead of "sharing" the video feed. Pro's and con's to this.

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 am

MangoMama wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:18 am
Highly recommend looking at Wyzecam (available on amazon). You get a lot of bang for the buck ($25 for a camera, $35 for a pan/tilt) and it comes with tons of features. Very easy to setup and share video feeds if needed. Lots of updates and fixes to app and firmware, and their engineers are quick to respond to issues. Use's standard microSD's for long term event storage; uses AWS for 12sec notifications.

You can get notifications based on motion, sound, CO or smoke alarms. There is also some Alex and IFFT integration. We have about 5-6 throughout the house, two are outside. They're just coming out with a new Sense product too.

edit: if multiple people want to check-in on feeds, we just install the app on whichever phone needs access with the same credentials instead of "sharing" the video feed. Pro's and con's to this.
The only thing that makes me a little uneasy about Wyze in particular is that a lot of their data is routed through China. At least it was last I looked into it.

MangoMama

Post by MangoMama » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:11 am

OnceARunner wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 am
MangoMama wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:18 am

The only thing that makes me a little uneasy about Wyze in particular is that a lot of their data is routed through China. At least it was last I looked into it.
That's true. Last time I read it was mostly the notifications and NAT punching. I believe the 12 sec clips are stored in AWS. They've been pretty forth coming about it on r/wyzecam.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm

A friend of mine had good luck with a Nest camera...