seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Starfish

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Starfish » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 pm

sil2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 am
In Florida, the following 5 cities are the safest for hurricane, tropical storm and flood:

Leesburg, Orlando, Sanford, Kissimmee and Palatka
Do you tink you have more chance to die from
1. hurrincane flood tornado etc
2. bad healthcare?

My vote is on 2, probably by at least 10X.

thankyouverymuch

Post by thankyouverymuch » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Weatherspark.com is a great site for researching climate in different cities around the world. You can use the "compare" feature to see differences between any two cities. Also each city listing includes a list of other "comparable" cities around the world. Good luck!
https://weatherspark.com/

GT99

Post by GT99 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Sam1 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 pm

I realized what’s going on. You’re an Atlanta native who also thinks Atlanta is a city on par with other east coast cities. You think the weather is similar too. It’s not.
No, I really feel no need to defend Atlanta. I don't care if you prefer SoCal (I've already said it has better weather). I remain in Atlanta primarily because my family and friends are here. Ironically, despite living the large majority of my life in Atlanta, my gut reaction when people ask where I'm from is to say NY, as that's where I was born.
What I have a problem with is people talking authoritatively on things they have clue about, and being blatantly factually inaccurate. But the fact that you feel the need to jump to straw man arguments when the data on the weather is easily available pretty much says there's no need to continue this conversation.

Nutmeghill

2 locations

Post by Nutmeghill » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Have you considered two locations? Maybe costal Maine for summer and fall and Florida or Arizona for winter and spring?

You would have cool, but not cold weather in Maine, and not too hot weather in Florida or Arizona.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 am

TimeRunner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 pm
What's your budget for your new home + (property taxes + state income tax) per year?

Maybe you just need to move from Anaheim to Laguna Beach oceanfront. Is Emerald Bay in your budget? :? A few miles is a world of difference and a relatively easy move.
Indeed. There are a lot of countries in the O.C. and the demos are changing rapidly. I work there occasionally, would never want to live there. But if you did some more exploration in your own backyard you might find something more appealing. Or it might just be as simple as throwing out your TV.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:48 am

Coast of Spain. Very low crime, very low COL, great weather, great health care, no natural disasters. And it's not part of the US, but its practically part of the UK - there are English-speaking towns, English newspaper, English radio. Plus, Barcelona has two low-cost airlines with direct flights to CA, and that also means competition on the routes is high for full-freight airlines. And if we're reading between the lines correctly, it's even full of Brexiters.

IMO

Post by IMO » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:21 am

sil2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 am
Had a call back from the Arizona realtor. Based on my preference for the least hottest area and low crime, she suggested Flagstaff, Prescott or Scottsdale. But the nasty scorpions are indigenous of AZ....

Looking at Henderson and Summerlin but not sure if I can live there during the summer months. I have a friend who resides in Las Vegas and he leaves there for 4 months per year.
OP:

Grew up so cal with some family still there and have lived in a few areas mentioned in the thread.

You seem to be weather concerned. Keep in mind, even though some places are noted to be "mild" winters (for example Santa Fe, Flagstaff, Reno, Prescott, Salt Lake) for a SoCal person these areas are still cold. Pretty common for late fall to spring to be the equivalent to going into your refrigerator and/or freezer when one goes outside. Not cold like Northeast or Midwest, but not like SoCal going for a walk or bike ride by any means. Just be aware of that because weve had friends/family visit in winter and its not like anyones thinking "its great day for golf or bike ride/hike." If these areas didnt have winter sports it would be a bit of a drag dealing with the weather coming from SoCal. Its easy to feel trapped by the cold.

Phoenix and Vegas provide better "beach" weather. Get a nice pool or a boat and pretty soon you'll feel like it's cold in the water if its not over 105 degrees. Midsummer heat, go for a swim or go to the lake. Find it odd when someone says you have to be stuck inside in the summer heat (we always drove to Lake Havasu from SoCal in the summer for fun times) .
Scorpians used to scare me until I learned how to scorpian hunt with a black light at night. You learn where they hang out and how quick and easy they are to control.

Keep in mind, if you move, the locals in new areas really dont like Californians driving up housing, driving like idiots, and bringing the politics from Ca that drive up everyones taxes.

I also remind people though, Ca is really expensive regarding taxes when your working. However, with prop 13 in retirenent its actually pretty cheap.

If finances allowed, keeping Ca home for couple years until you were certain is good idea so you dont lose your prop 13 status (should you want to move back). Phoenix/vegas modest home with summer home in Ca is good combo.

grayfox

Post by grayfox » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:49 am

ThatGuy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 am
grayfox wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 am
There is something called Köppen climate classification. Here is Köppen–Geiger climate classification for the world.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... on_Map.png

California coast looks to be Csb. C=temperate, s= dry summer, b = warm summer
According to this interactive site Csb extends all the way up through Washington, just not into the Olympics.

I might suggest coastal Oregon as being similar to coastal California, if not quite as hot as the OC. But it's hella prettier. In particular, Florence is a cool little town which is a straight shot from college town Eugene.

PS. It's also close to delicious cheese country.
Thanks! That's interactive map is a great resource.

Zooming in, I see that both OC and SD are actually Cold Semi-Arid Climate, whereas LA is Warm-Summer Mediterranean Climate which extends all the way up to Vancouver. Who knew?
thankyouverymuch wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:03 pm
Weatherspark.com is a great site for researching climate in different cities around the world. You can use the "compare" feature to see differences between any two cities. Also each city listing includes a list of other "comparable" cities around the world. Good luck!
Useful!

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:16 am

thankyouverymuch wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:03 pm
Wow. will bookmark weatherspark.com

Thanks

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:04 am

You mentioned family/friends in Canada. Not sure where they are in Canada but since there have been many PNW recommendations you might want to also consider southern BC. It checks off a number of your boxes and is relatively close to California.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 am

grayfox wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 am

Climate similar to Orange County, CA? That is the orange area on this map, which is Mediterranean climate. Only California in the contiguous U.S.

You can not move out of California without a change of climate. If you want to move, you would have to decide on what alternate climate you would prefer. Generally in the U.S., the East is wetter and the West is drier; the North is colder and the south is hotter.
Useful map but only goes so far. In reality the climate on the northern CA coast is as different from Orange Cty's as places much further away. For example I'm going to visit the Eureka CA area soon and I looked up that the average January high temp is 54F and average July high 67F, remarkable. And a far cry from LA where I lived for awhile and it can be as miserable as NY (where I'm from) in the summer if you're only a few miles inland, though definitely milder in the winter. Also much drier than other places in CA within the nominal ''med climate" zone. Though other maps and classifications show more of that fine grained difference.

Anyway again I think in practical terms the states a tier or two inland from CA have climate that's *relatively* similar, a feel and culture that's relatively similar, and it's why most refugees from CA's various perceived excesses seem to go there, and a big reason the population in various of those places is booming.

To move to the South, even parts of it fairly overrun by outsiders already, is a bigger difference in a number of ways. But definitely including weather. The people saying the weather is great in Charleston or Atlanta...true except warm and oppressively humid most of the time from May to October, like NY sometimes is, except for a lot longer. Although the winter is not as bad as NY's, to be fair. If you really hate cold those places have better climates than NY, and many people from Northeast go there. But harder to imagine people who'd gotten used to CA would thinking Atlanta or Charleston had great weather. Which is probably a reason besides distance and culture you rarely hear of people getting fed up with CA and moving to SC. AZ, NV, ID etc would be and are the natural go-to's from CA, though you're not going to preserve closeness to a real beach. :happy

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:50 am

What do people think of Virginia Beach?
Using Weatherspark.com, I prefer a little rain and snow if I can't have comparable weather to Orange County, CA.
Prefer 2 to 3 inches of rain the most per month.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:53 am

sil2017 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:50 am
Using Weatherspark.com, I prefer a little rain and snow if I can't have comparable weather to Orange County, CA.
Doesn’t meet your “no hurricanes” criteria.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:55 am

FireProof wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:48 am
Coast of Spain. Very low crime, very low COL, great weather, great health care, no natural disasters. And it's not part of the US, but its practically part of the UK - there are English-speaking towns, English newspaper, English radio. Plus, Barcelona has two low-cost airlines with direct flights to CA, and that also means competition on the routes is high for full-freight airlines. And if we're reading between the lines correctly, it's even full of Brexiters.
I was thinking of the same. Plus is Spain has better seafood then OC. My sister had a roommate and she retired in Spain, she’s a US citizen.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:53 am
sil2017 wrote:
Have you ever been to Norfolk/Virginia Beach area? I think the people who live there with the desire and means to retire elsewhere would generally flow out to North Carolina (Asheville), South Carolina, or Florida.

teacher

Post by teacher » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:59 am

MrSpock said:
I always find it amusing how much Californians (who live in earthquake country) fear/worry about hurricanes. You can see them coming days or weeks away... earthquakes not so much. I’ll take hurricanes over earthquakes any day.
Depends on where you live in California. Ours is a big, complex state with every geography type imaginable. In 1954, my parents moved the family from Wichita to NorCal situated a day trip between the Sierras and the Pacific Ocean. He told us he chose a place with no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no floods, no volcanoes, and no earthquakes (2% possibility where we live) and no humidity, something none of us can tolerate. So far, he was spot on,
Last edited by teacher on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:14 am

sil2017 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am
I am retired so I can move anywhere in the country. I have spent countless hours searching for a place to live. Originally , I was searching for a state free of taxes. But it doesn't matter anymore. I just want to leave CA but not sure where. Any suggestions based on the criteria

Criteria:
1/ Good climate similar to Orange County, CA. Okay with some snow in the winter but not fond of huge amount of rain.
2/ No hurricane , flood , tornado and blizzard
3/ Not Hawaii
4/ Low crime

Not a must but wouldn't mind a city close to the airport as I travel a lot, and close to the beach

Denver?

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:15 am

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:14 am
sil2017 wrote:
I am retired so I can move anywhere in the country. I have spent countless hours searching for a place to live. Originally , I was searching for a state free of taxes. But it doesn't matter anymore. I just want to leave CA but not sure where. Any suggestions based on the criteria

Criteria:
1/ Good climate similar to Orange County, CA. Okay with some snow in the winter but not fond of huge amount of rain.
3/ Not Hawaii
4/ Low crime

Not a must but wouldn't mind a city close to the airport as I travel a lot, and close to the beach

Denver?
A bit of a hike to the beach. I think we are closing in on Orange County, CA.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:18 am

Sidney wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:15 am
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
sil2017 wrote:

Criteria:
3/ Not Hawaii
4/ Low crime

Denver?
beaches are overrated esp. the West coast.. Water is cold.

shelanman

Post by shelanman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:21 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 am
Indeed. There are a lot of countries in the O.C. and the demos are changing rapidly. I work there occasionally, would never want to live there. But if you did some more exploration in your own backyard you might find something more appealing. Or it might just be as simple as throwing out your TV.
No amount of throwing away a television will alter the fact that every year, huge swaths of your wealth are confiscated to be spent specifically on making your life worse.

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:28 am

stan1 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 am
quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:53 am
sil2017 wrote:
Have you ever been to Norfolk/Virginia Beach area? I think the people who live there with the desire and means to retire elsewhere would generally flow out to North Carolina (Asheville), South Carolina, or Florida.

No I have not been there. Just read about it on weatherspark.com.

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:55 am
FireProof wrote:
I was thinking of the same. Plus is Spain has better seafood then OC. My sister had a roommate and she retired in Spain, she’s a US citizen.
What is the criteria for US citizens to retire in Spain?

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:37 pm

shelanman wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:21 am
No amount of throwing away a television will alter the fact that every year, huge swaths of your wealth are confiscated to be spent specifically on making your life worse.
If it was that bad, you wouldn't see so many people living there, and it wouldn't be the most populous state, and by far the largest state economy in the US. This falls into the "no one wants to live there, it's too crowded" type of statements.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Sidney wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:15 am
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
sil2017 wrote:

Criteria:
3/ Not Hawaii
4/ Low crime

Denver?
Denver is actually one of my favorites. If I couldn’t live in Southern California, I’d be there.

But, hot in the summer, cold in the winter. IIRC, Denver has more days in the 90’s than anyplace else in the country. Which is better than most of AZ and NV’s 100’s, but still... hot. And cold.

And the tax situation there is not substantially different than CA, especially if OP already owns a house and property taxes are locked in.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:30 pm

shelanman wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:21 am
SrGrumpy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 am
Dramatic much? As stated a few posts up, CA is cheap for retirees who have owned their homes for a while. Not that I would dissuade a few million people from moving elsewhere.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:37 pm

Ashland/Medford, OR. Ashland for more liberal politics, Medford for more conservative. Never been, just did quite a bit of research into the area while looking for places to flee SoCal to.

We're not going there, but it ticks most of your boxes, including the non-CA one. No beaches, though.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:07 pm

sil2017 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:55 am
FireProof wrote:
What is the criteria for US citizens to retire in Spain?
I honestly don’t know. I just know she retired in Spain, gave me her winter coat and that’s it.

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 pm

This topic has run its course and has been locked. Also, several posts veered political which is a violation of forum policies.
rules