yard service questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
brandy

yard service questions

Post by brandy »

It's time for me to hire a yard service. I've never done this. What questions do I need to ask?
Lot size 7,635 sqft house about 2000sq feet, 15x30 pool, plus apron. Yard area is all gravel, plus the area between sidewalk and street. two trees, one bush, a couple of cacti, and weeds. I had a man come as needed. He was just here, he said he won't be coming any more. He had a stroke recently and just hasn't done his standard good work.
I am low income, hope I don't have to have anyone come for a month or two, but he did leave more weeds than I thought he did. I know there will be sticker shock... :(
Generally, the needs are to spread pre-emergent 2-3 x year, water it in if needed, remove weeds that get through it, blow driveway/carport/porches, apply bug spray 2-3 x year, drain pool as needed: place sump into pool, put hose to street, plug pump in, then reverse it before leaving.
What question should I ask?
livesoft

Re: yard service questions

Post by livesoft »

Check with your neighbors on all this first. Tell us what they tell you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

brandy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:02 pm It's time for me to hire a yard service. I've never done this. What questions do I need to ask?
Lot size 7,635 sqft house about 2000sq feet, 15x30 pool, plus apron. Yard area is all gravel, plus the area between sidewalk and street. two trees, one bush, a couple of cacti, and weeds. I had a man come as needed. He was just here, he said he won't be coming any more. He had a stroke recently and just hasn't done his standard good work.
I am low income, hope I don't have to have anyone come for a month or two, but he did leave more weeds than I thought he did. I know there will be sticker shock... :(
Generally, the needs are to spread pre-emergent 2-3 x year, water it in if needed, remove weeds that get through it, blow driveway/carport/porches, apply bug spray 2-3 x year, drain pool as needed: place sump into pool, put hose to street, plug pump in, then reverse it before leaving.
What question should I ask?
Ask for references
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Seems to me there are two distinct services here, one being yard service the other pool service. Are you sure you save money by asking the same person to do both?
Topic Author
brandy

Post by brandy »

adamthesmythe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:15 pm Seems to me there are two distinct services here, one being yard service the other pool service. Are you sure you save money by asking the same person to do both?
I drained the pool several years ago. Though I am in the desert, my (empty) pool gets rain water in it. If the rains are heavy and or several days, --well, it did have about 3 feet of water in it, now not so much, but I would like the rest gone. It's a once or twice a year job, I just want to keep the empty pool empty...As I said, all he has to do is place sump pump into pool, put hose to street, plug pump in, then reverse it before leaving.
strafe

Post by strafe »

No grass? Do you really need to hire someone?

A ready to use jug of Roundup (glyphosate) costs $20 and will take care of your weeds for months.

You can get an inexpensive water pump at Harbor Freight.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

brandy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:14 pmI just want to keep the empty pool empty.
Why?

An empty pool is an accident waiting to happen.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

Post by 123 »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:49 pm
Why?

+1 A filled pool is an accident waiting to happen as well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
brandy

Post by brandy »

strafe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:21 pm No grass? Do you really need to hire someone? A ready to use jug of Roundup (glyphosate) costs $20 and will take care of your weeds for months. You can get an inexpensive water pump at Harbor Freight.
weeds, no grass. Can't do it anymore.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

123 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:37 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:49 pm
Why?

+1 A filled pool is an accident waiting to happen as well.
I assume you mean "filled with water"?

If you don't want to use a pool, fill it in with good soil and use it as a garden. Or just have it removed entirely.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Hire someone to put a hard deck or cover over the pool. It will not be cheap but well worth the $$. This will give you more setting area and improve the safety issues and stop the water from getting in the pool. If you do not cover the pool and stop the water from pooling you will get mold and bugs and get the city after you about a safety and health hazard.

Then hire a yard person to come by about once a month to blow off the leaves and pick up the trash and kill the weeds. That small yard should cost maybe $60 per month for a good yard person. Talk to your neighbors about who they use and call them.

Good Luck.

https://vimeo.com/62843183

https://www.google.com/search?q=in+grou ... e&ie=UTF-8
Topic Author
brandy

Post by brandy »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:05 pm If you don't want to use a pool, fill it in with good soil and use it as a garden. Or just have it removed entirely.
Hindsight is 20-20. Filling it in was the original intention. When I was finally ready to, the regulations were changed, and now it has to be completely removed. I guess there wasn't enough demolition/hauling work at the time...Now to do that is big bucks.
There are other possible uses for it almost as is, (except for rain water) for someone who has the money.

I agree, $60 would be a reasonable price. maybe I can find some one for about that.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

brandy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:06 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:05 pm If you don't want to use a pool, fill it in with good soil and use it as a garden. Or just have it removed entirely.
Hindsight is 20-20. Filling it in was the original intention. When I was finally ready to, the regulations were changed, and now it has to be completely removed.
I'm surprised that regulations permit keeping an empty pool around. In many locales that would be considered an attractive nuisance and would be prohibited.

Make sure your fence is up to requirements.