Anyone bought a Ford recently? Advice please...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Longruninvestor

Anyone bought a Ford recently? Advice please...

Post by Longruninvestor » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 pm

I’ve been a dedicated buyer of Japanese cars ever since I had enough money to pay cash for something above “beater” level —and had substantial equity in my home, an emergency fund and was maxing out retirement contributions. My quality and reliability perceptions also meant that there hasn’t been a domestic car in my garage since since the 1990s. Today I find myself in need a beefy tow vehicle and have decided I want (this definitely not a need) a new Ford F150. This thread isn’t about the merits of my choice or the alternatives I have rejected, but rather it’s about the attitudes and behaviors in the folks that sell Fords and curiosity about whether they are the standard at Ford. I’m going to ask for some advice at the end of this post about how I can be a better and smarter buyer of Ford’s product.

I test drove an F150 at a big dealership a few weeks ago and afterwards asked the salesman for his best price on the very truck we had spent 30 minutes in. He pointed at the sticker on the window and said my quote was right there and that I should take a picture of it with my phone. I took his business card and went home and filled out a True Car request for quotes (mistake) and a handful of Ford dealerships started spamming me with web links for F150s that were different than what I specified at True Car —trim level, bed length etc. I emailed with salesmen at two dealerships and conveyed my criteria again for the truck I wanted and both immediately sent me links to trucks that met my criteria but had, “call for price”on the bottom. It took a bit of back and forth over email to pry a price out of them, and in the end it was something really close to sticker —and then got invited to come in to talk about incentives that I might qualify for. I’m not a veteran or a current owner of a domestic truck; I read all about incentive offers and am pretty sure I don’t qualify for any of them.

My questions are as follows:
  • Are new F150s so popular that Ford can sell every one at sticker?
  • I’ve bought three new Honda’s since 2007 (3 different dealerships) and for the last two was able to negotiate just everything over email. Do domestic car makers not do this?
  • Honda certainly has a different sales model. I’m used to going to a few dealers and asking for best offers and being given what I think is a reasonable number
    for a particular vehicle. Does Ford mostly insist on a face to face visit before conveying a real offer?
  • Honda sells four or five trim levels which makes it easy to comparison shop. The F150 has trim levels but something else too which I think are called option packages (things like towing, appearance and technology packages). I’ve been unable to crack the option package code; sometimes there’s a 36 gallon gas tank and other individual options. Mostly I’ve been printing out specifications for individual trucks and going through them with a highlighter to identify the differences. Anyone got a secret decoder ring?
Perhaps the game is played differently at Ford and i just need to learn how to participate better. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. The bottom line for me is that I just don’t want to be ripped off. Car salespeople have to make a living, I get that. Help me play a game I don’t understand.

AZAttorney11

Re: Anyone bought a Ford recently? Advice please...

Post by AZAttorney11 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:47 pm

No, no, and no. Never, ever pay anything close to sticker for a full-sized American truck. The competition for buyers is intense in that vehicle segment. There are numerous posts here about the "best" way to buy a vehicle. Search for them. Not to sound rude, but if you couldn't get the salesman to offer anything lower than MSRP on a new F-150, you're best served playing the email blast game and avoiding in-person negotiations until the very end. And ignore that dealership. You should never go back. That salesman believes you're a sucker and would gladly take advantage of you.

You should focus on the Ford dealerships within 100 or 200 miles of your house and ask them for their lowest out the door price on a specific vehicle (search for the VIN on their website and ask for their lowest out the door price on THAT vehicle, not another hypothetical F-150). Ignore Truecar and get the dealers bidding against each other (but maximize information asymmetry in your favor, of course).

As an aside, what's wrong with a Silverado? I wouldn't put an average Ford or Chevy sedan against an average Japanese sedan, but I'd buy a full-sized American truck over a full-sized Japanese truck every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I don't think you should have concerns about the long-term reliability of a Ford F-150 or Chevy Silverado.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:51 pm

This is not normal behavior!

I have found that Ford dealers vary greatly in their business practices, at least around here. I have 6-7 dealers within a half hour drive, and I pinged them all the last time I bought an F-150 in late 2016.

I ended up buying one for about $11,000 off the sticker price.

The key was to buy from existing inventory.

I found that they all had similar websites, and all the dealers listed every vehicle that was currently on their lot. Some would even sell me trucks from other dealers lots!

I'd suggest walking away from that dealer/salesperson if you have other options nearby. They sound rude and unacceptable!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:51 pm

Full size domestic trucks routinely sell for thousands under sticker. I purchased a GMC 1/2 ton pickup in 2014 that had a sticker price of $50,000 for $38,000 plus sales tax. Ten to twelve thousand under sticker is not unusual on higher trim models.

I would suggest emailing dealers in your surrounding area for an "out the door price" on the exact model you want. Just ignore the ones who won't give you a price.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:57 pm

^ And remember that the "lowest" out the door price you receive from a dealer in response to an email inquiry won't actually be their lowest price. You'll have to continue hammering away at them, through email, of course. Ensure they know ABC Dealership offered less than that for an identical vehicle. Never, ever disclose how much lower ABC Dealership offered. There's no need for you to reveal any information or share numbers with them. The only numbers that should be exchanged are quotes from the dealer to you. Again, maximize information asymmetry and don't ever tell them what you're willing to pay (don't bid against yourself). The buyer has all of the negotiating power when it comes to purchasing a new, mass produced, readily available vehicle like F-150. Wield your power accordingly.

Darth Poppy

Post by Darth Poppy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 pm

The only F150 that may sell close to sticker is the Raptor. Most dealerships around here still sell them for MSRP. May even added a premium on top of the sticker price when they first came out.

Darth Poppy

Post by Darth Poppy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 pm

I am a long time ford driver and purchaser. I have drank the Blue Oval kool-aid all my life (even have a son named ford). I currently drive a F-150 4x4 Platinum. It is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. It has the ride quality of a luxury SUV, and is extremely quiet while driving. It truly is a “cowboy Cadillac”.

The trim levels, in order of features are: XL, XLT, Lariat and Platinum/King Ranch/Limited (all three of these are the top, with various options). Before purchasing my truck, I studied the Ford Brochure like I was preparing for an exam.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Br ... &year=2019

When I went in to buy a truck, I knew more about the options and packages than the salespeople did, but I knew exactly what I wanted, right down to the package numbers. If you are serious about buying, I would suggest spending a lot of time with the brochure.

As you stated, there are several packages that can be added to the trim levels, which can all be studied in the brochure.

One of the big things to decide is the engine choice. I had the 5.0 V8, but most now come with the 3.5L Ecoboost, and ford even has a diesel they are putting in the F150 now (but wouldn’t recommend if you plan on towing/hauling with the truck..... not the same Diesel engine used in the F250 trucks).

You mentioned the 36 gallon gas tank. I am so happy I have it. I can get right a little over 600 miles on a tank without stopping.

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction. I will be happy to answer any other questions that you have.

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:01 pm

Longruninvestor wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 pm
There's nothing special about the F-150. You are just negotiating in a bad way.

viewtopic.php?t=124638 is what you want to do.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:02 pm

I would expect a large discount on an F-150. If you start negotiating then you'll find out. It's possible the sales person picked up on something, and determined you were not a serious buyer. It's also possible that his salesman book he read said to never be the first to name a price, and do not negotiate on your heels. I don't know.

Do you research, ask on forums, and go in with an educated offer. This will be a bit less than you're willing to pay. You can also pepper the Internet sales departments for a quote, and inform them you asked the other dealers nearby for the same. Lastly, if you want something special and will order the truck, you can qualify for shareholder pricing by owning 100 shares of Ford for 6 months. That is what I did when I bought my Mustang. You also get all incentives this way, on top of the shareholder pricing.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:39 pm

Ford incentives apply to everyone for most. Incentives.ford.com

Get Ford X-Plan.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

suemarkp

Post by suemarkp » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:23 am

I've bought 5 new cars from US makers in my life which were factory orders (although 2007 was the last time I did it). This can be cheapest if you are very picky about what you want and not in a hurry. Supposedly, this is low cost to the dealer because they don't hold it long, and have a buyer lined up (you). Also buying last year's model when the new year's models are arriving on the lot can be a savings (and they may have extra incentives for those). But you will lose one year of depreciation as soon as you drive it off the lot.

The Edmunds New Car Price Guide listed the dealer cost and sticker cost of the model, trim level, packages, and individual options. Usually, you'd start the negotiation at $XX over invoice (Edmunds book being the invoice price). Then there are a few cost add ons like an advertising fee and a few others. Edmunds gives you ball park prices for these too, but may be different by dealer depending on how large they are.

For me, the out the door price including tax and license plates, should be equal or less than the sticker price (without those item added in). I'm in a high sales tax and car tax state -- those come to about 12%. So the other way to look at it is you want to try for at least 10% off sticker and preferably 12% or more.

At the price, the dealer is not losing money. They have many other tools to get kickbacks from the manufacturer. I bought a Chevy Avalanche for $500 over invoice. After we shook hands on that, the salesman pulled out these incentives he wanted me to sign. This lowered the cost for him and made him a larger commission. I was kind of pissed, as he was rubbing the deal in my face, but read that I was honest and would take the truck for the price I agreed on. I should have asked for half the value of his rebates coupons though instead of just signing them...
Mark | Kent, WA

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:01 am

I don't think the OP is necessarily a bad negotiator or not handling the process correctly. We were a Ford family for many decades; my husband has only driven Ford F150 trucks. Unfortunately my daughter got burned on her first car purchase, a 2012 Ford Focus with a transmission defect (Ford recently lost a class action lawsuit about it). As a result last year she bought the first non-Ford vehicle we've had-a Toyota Camry.

So in a limited comparison of the sales process I'd say that yes purchasing from Ford, which as a company is very representative of old school automotive marketing, is definitely not the same as what one experiences with automakers like the Japanese companies.

I always do the negotiating for our vehicles and it's always exhausting, marked by the kind of nonsense the OP experienced. Watching my daughter buy the Toyota on the other hand was illuminating. She went in prepared for battle, the salesman quoted her a price, she pulled out a comparable model that was lower, he went away for 10 minutes and came back with a better deal than her best hope price! Easy peasy.

Also for everyone rambling about how simple it is to tell the salesman you won't pay more than X, keep in mind the F150 series was in 2018, and consistently has been, the best selling VEHICLE in the United States. The dealers don't have to make crazy deals to get rid of Ford trucks on a lot and Ford doesn't have to dangle incentives, so they won't. Supply and demand is a pretty basic law and no matter how many Bogleheads claim they never spend a penny more than what it cost Ford in parts to build it....ain't gonna happen with the 150 because Ford doesn't need to give them away.

My advice is also to do some serious research. There are so many packages and options that it's important to really understand what one is looking for, and too with the F150's popularity there is no reason not to get exactly what you want and none of what you don't. Good luck in the search and enjoy your truck!

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:24 am

pennywise wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:01 am
Also for everyone rambling about how simple it is to tell the salesman you won't pay more than X, keep in mind the F150 series was in 2018, and consistently has been, the best selling VEHICLE in the United States. The dealers don't have to make crazy deals to get rid of Ford trucks on a lot and Ford doesn't have to dangle incentives, so they won't. Supply and demand is a pretty basic law and no matter how many Bogleheads claim they never spend a penny more than what it cost Ford in parts to build it....ain't gonna happen with the 150 because Ford doesn't need to give them away.
This is so untrue it borders on criminal. ALL of the major US truck brands routinely sell at a five-figure discount for moderately or well-equipped models. Just looking at the dealer closest to me, they have 35 F-150s currently in stock. Nearly all of the mid-level XLT and Lariat models are advertised for $10k or more off sticker. Here's a 2019 Lariat where the advertised price is more than $17k off sticker, and right under that discount is a "get our best price instantly" button, implying they'll go even lower with minimal fuss:

https://www.bobrohrmanschaumburgford.co ... epth=27:32

There's absolutely no reconciling "Ford won't dangle incentives" and "25% off sticker before you even ask!"

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:28 am

pennywise wrote:
Why do you think it's been the best selling vehicle in the United States? It's not because the dealers are selling them close to MSRP. As many other posters have mentioned, there are substantial (e.g., five figure) savings regularly and easily available on full-sized American pickups like the F-150 and Chevy Silverado.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:29 am

Every dealer is independently owned and their tactics vary widely. The last time I was in the market for a small car, I looked at Focus, studied, understood that the dual clutch auto transmission was THE biggest source of complaints of any vehicle in history but that the manual was flawless. I then headed to a couple dealers to look at and test drive them. One dealer was right out of the 60's with "what will it take to get you in this car today?" as his greeting. The other was far less scammy but had a set price that he would not move from. So there's the dealers.

On the truck: When you get right down to it, it really doesn't matter if you buy a Ford, Ram, Chevy/GMC or Toyota. It really doesn't. Focus on the vehicle with the options you want and buy on price. GM is near the end of the "we screwed up again and overproduced" season and are selling for well over $10k off sticker. Oh....and on the Fords. Buying an F-150, recently a radio program talked about this. There are over 100,000 ways to order one. So that's why you might see one truck perfect for you and never in your life see another exactly the same. Very different from buying a Japanese nameplate where you get to pick the color and the A, B, or C trim.

And there's no reason, once you've test driven, to go into a dealer until you have a final price. Going one step further, you can simply order exactly what you want (although you might not get the $10k discount that way). Different vehicle, but I ordered my Wrangler and the price, after having worked the market for 6 months was lower than anyone else would give me. The deal was done on the phone in about 10 seconds. I left a voicemail before business hours on a Saturday morning with my offer and saying I'd be there with a deposit as soon as they accepted. By 9, the salesman called back and said "ok". Forget Tru Car......my price was $1600 less. And from what I see other people say, that's pretty common. Tru Car is a car dealer's tool to get customers, not a customer tool.

There are cash back offers right now on F-150's but they vary by region. https://www.buyfordnow.com/boston-burli ... -70f-hp-io Put in your own zip code. I started with the default in Arizona and it gave me cash back on one model, then changed it to my zip in MA and it changed the trim level and amount. I'd guess that it's based on what's overstocked per region.
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:30 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:24 am
pennywise wrote:
This is so untrue it borders on criminal. ALL of the major US truck brands routinely sell at a five-figure discount for moderately or well-equipped models. Just looking at the dealer closest to me, they have 35 F-150s currently in stock. Nearly all of the mid-level XLT and Lariat models are advertised for $10k or more off sticker. Here's a 2019 Lariat where the advertised price is more than $17k off sticker, and right under that discount is a "get our best price instantly" button, implying they'll go even lower with minimal fuss:

https://www.bobrohrmanschaumburgford.co ... epth=27:32

There's absolutely no reconciling "Ford won't dangle incentives" and "25% off sticker before you even ask!"
Yup, someone above has paid Ford dealers substantially more than they've had to for years.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:33 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:29 am
On the truck: When you get right down to it, it really doesn't matter if you buy a Ford, Ram, Chevy/GMC or Toyota. It really doesn't. Focus on the vehicle with the options you want and buy on price. GM is near the end of the "we screwed up again and overproduced" season and are selling for well over $10k off sticker. Oh....and on the Fords. Buying an F-150, recently a radio program talked about this. There are over 100,000 ways to order one. So that's why you might see one truck perfect for you and never in your life see another exactly the same. Very different from buying a Japanese nameplate where you get to pick the color and the A, B, or C trim.
It's even better if you want a Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra. The 2019 model is a complete redesign and there are excellent deals to be had on the 2018s. I'm talking 25-30% off MSRP on moderately to well equipped models.

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 am

Are you a member of USAA, a credit union, or Costco? All have car buying services that provide firm prices. E.g. http://www.navyfederalautobuying.com/ne ... mid=403564

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:56 am

Longruninvestor wrote:
I’ve been a dedicated buyer of Japanese cars ever since I had enough money to pay cash for something above “beater” level —and had substantial equity in my home, an emergency fund and was maxing out retirement contributions. My quality and reliability perceptions also meant that there hasn’t been a domestic car in my garage since since the 1990s. Today I find myself in need a beefy tow vehicle and have decided I want (this definitely not a need) a new Ford F150. This thread isn’t about the merits of my choice or the alternatives I have rejected, but rather it’s about the attitudes and behaviors in the folks that sell Fords and curiosity about whether they are the standard at Ford. I’m going to ask for some advice at the end of this post about how I can be a better and smarter buyer of Ford’s product.

I test drove an F150 at a big dealership a few weeks ago and afterwards asked the salesman for his best price on the very truck we had spent 30 minutes in. He pointed at the sticker on the window and said my quote was right there and that I should take a picture of it with my phone. I took his business card and went home and filled out a True Car request for quotes (mistake) and a handful of Ford dealerships started spamming me with web links for F150s that were different than what I specified at True Car —trim level, bed length etc. I emailed with salesmen at two dealerships and conveyed my criteria again for the truck I wanted and both immediately sent me links to trucks that met my criteria but had, “call for price”on the bottom. It took a bit of back and forth over email to pry a price out of them, and in the end it was something really close to sticker —and then got invited to come in to talk about incentives that I might qualify for. I’m not a veteran or a current owner of a domestic truck; I read all about incentive offers and am pretty sure I don’t qualify for any of them.

My questions are as follows:
  • Are new F150s so popular that Ford can sell every one at sticker?
  • I’ve bought three new Honda’s since 2007 (3 different dealerships) and for the last two was able to negotiate just everything over email. Do domestic car makers not do this?
  • Honda certainly has a different sales model. I’m used to going to a few dealers and asking for best offers and being given what I think is a reasonable number
    for a particular vehicle. Does Ford mostly insist on a face to face visit before conveying a real offer?
  • Honda sells four or five trim levels which makes it easy to comparison shop. The F150 has trim levels but something else too which I think are called option packages (things like towing, appearance and technology packages). I’ve been unable to crack the option package code; sometimes there’s a 36 gallon gas tank and other individual options. Mostly I’ve been printing out specifications for individual trucks and going through them with a highlighter to identify the differences. Anyone got a secret decoder ring?
Perhaps the game is played differently at Ford and i just need to learn how to participate better. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. The bottom line for me is that I just don’t want to be ripped off. Car salespeople have to make a living, I get that. Help me play a game I don’t understand.
Now that I'm at my desktop computer, I wanted to further respond.

First, if you're going to negotiate with dealers (waste of time, see below), you're going about it wrong. You need to go in from a position of knowledge, which you don't have yet. So you went in looking like a piece of fresh meat, which you were.

Second, you don't negotiate off of sticker, you negotiate off of invoice.

Third, you need to decide what you're going to use your F-150 for, and therefore what type of trim you'd want. Many people buy a pickup and then say "Hey, let's buy this big travel trailer!" Unfortunately, the higher level trims of the F-150, specifically Lariat, Limited, and Platinum, have lower payloads. If you're going to tow, you want to find the trailer FIRST, then before buying it figure out the truck that will be able to tow it safely. www.f150forum.com/f82 is a section of the F-150 forum dedicated to Towing. You want to understand PAYLOAD, which is on the door jamb of every F-150, and how the trailer's weight puts 10-15% of the weight on the tongue, which ends up on the truck, which impacts payload. Many fancy F-150s have payloads around 1,200 pounds, which is awful for towing. For travel trailers, you want payloads closer to 2,000 pounds, or buy a HDPP (heavy duty payload package) which you will need to order since you'll never find one on the lot. Those payloads are noticeably above 2,000 pounds. If you don't get an HDPP, then you want to get a truck without a sunroof (heavy), and other options that cause weight. You'll also want your truck equipped for towing, including a brake controller, from the factory.

Fourth, Ford's incentives are extensive, especially for F-150s. The XLT trim has the most incentives, the higher level trims have the least. At https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/pricin ... eader-shop, you can find the current incentives for your zip code. No matter where in the country you buy your truck, you will get the incentives for where you register it. So while an advertisement two states away may look great, it includes incentives that apply to that area, not to you. And it likely includes incentives like First Responder, Military, and Recent College Grad which may not apply. But there are many other incentives. Ford provides incentives for financing also. To get the largest incentive from Ford Credit, you take the unsubsidized loan rate, which will be around 5.99%. You then wait a week or so and call Ford Credit, get the payoff balance, and either pay it off or refinance with a credit union like PenFed. If you pay cash, you will pay MORE, so it's really a poor financial move. If you take subsidized loan rates like 2.99% or zero percent financing, you will lose part of the Ford Credit rebates. It rarely pays off to do anything beyond taking the unsubsidized rate. Your Ford dealer can print off a Smart Vincent report showing all incentives that you qualify for that apply to a particular vehicle.

Fifth, Ford offers Private Cash, i.e. a rebate for YOU. You sign up for emails or order a brochure, indicate you want to buy an F-150 and NOW (for timeframe), and you MAY get a private cash offer up to $2,000 or even $3,000. This is in addition to any incentives that are on the Ford site. And none of these come out of the dealer's pocket, so he's very happy you get them.

Sixth, you can order an F-150 to your specific needs, or buy one off the lot. If you're negotiating with a dealer (bad idea), you may get a better price on one sitting. Or a 2018 when 2019 is the current model (now). They can also dealer trade up to 500 miles away, if they want to, for a truck that fits you best. There is an "order guide" that shows exactly how an F-150 can be configured. If you're going to tow, you need to be very careful to order the right configuration, Ford makes it confusing for everyone. Here is a link to the 2018 and 2019 order guides - https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2019-f-1 ... ost6001704

Finally, price. You want to pay invoice (or lower), less all incentives. Pay no attention to MSRP. Some really good negotiators, with large volume dealers, might pay invoice, less holdback (3% of MSRP), less rebates, plus tax and title. If you're ill equipped to negotiate, or simply don't want to waste your time, sign up for Ford's X-Plan, which is for "friends and families", which includes many large organizations (companies, alumni associations). Your company may offer that. If they don't, you can always joint the Experimental Aircraft Association for $40 (or less with special offers), and get X-Plan that way. https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/ ... on-program You may need to be a member for 60 days, read carefully. X-Plan is calculated as Invoice minus (0.4% * invoice) + $275. In other words 99.6% of invoice plus $275. It puts it barely above invoice. You then subtract all rebates and incentives. The Smart Vincent report shows X-Plan and invoice pricing. It also limits any paperwork fee to $100, many dealers try to charge $499. And the sale gets audited by Ford so if they find anything overcharged, you get a refund. The only thing left to negotiate is a trade-in, where you should come equipped with KBB and Edmund's prices, an estimate from CarMax, and ideally know the NADA Black Book auction and trade prices. You can buy off the lot or order with X-Plan.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask for more info, and visit the F-150 forum to ask truck-specific questions.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Darth Poppy

Post by Darth Poppy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:02 am

Another big thing to keep in mind, when talking about invoice pricing is the “dealer holdback”. While the invoice may show one price, there is money held back from the factory that will be refunded to the dealer ina few months. This number varies, of course, by the vehicle.

The last new vehicle we bought, I knew what I was willing to pay for the vehicle, including what the invoice price was and the holdback amount. I offered them invoice price -half the $ of the holdback (which was $1500 on this case). The dealer accepted, so I got the vehicle for $750 less than invoice and the dealer made $750.

Not top of that, a a member is Sam’s club, I received another $1000 as a rebate from Chrysler.

I learned this from a good friend who was sales manager at a local Ford dealer, but is now a regional buyer for multiple dealerships.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:08 am

I bought a new 2016 F-150 three years ago. It's a Lariat FX4 SuperCab with 3.5 liter Ecoboost and 36 gallon tank.
I factory ordered it with just the configuration and options I wanted, nothing more.
I shopped my list around to three dealers and picked the lowest price. It was under MSRP but not by a whole lot.
It's a great truck...
Attempted new signature...

anil686

Post by anil686 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:09 am

Have you looked at the Ford X Plan and see if you qualify for the discount? They give their discount to suppliers and partners. Many alumni associations have deals with Ford (b/c their relationship with the company), insurance companies, and others. Also family and friends of AXZ plan participants can get the deal. Often times, the individual can obtain 2 purchase codes per year - obviously most people don’t buy 2 cars per year and so they can give the code to a friend to use. If you know anybody who qualifies - they may be able to get you a code to use - you then can use the purchase plan at any Ford dealership. It is truly no haggle and a pretty decent price. You can do better (by searching this forum or the Edmunds forum), but it requires often a good bit of negotiating IMO...

I have used the X plan three times, I have not been disappointed...

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:12 am

I bought a Ford in late 2017 and got an amazing deal.

I had a choice that came down to two vehicles:

1) 2014 Ford Edge with 22K miles for 24K
2) 2016 Ford Edge new (less than 1K) for 27K

I went with number 2, new from the dealer. It was August of 2017, so the 2018's were coming out. The dealer wanted to move those 2016s. The key was buying out of existing inventory.

The sales and finance people did many stupid salesman tricks, you just have to wade through them. As others have said there are some really good threads on how to buy a car, to summarize knowledge is key.

othermike27

Post by othermike27 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:15 am

OP,

I'm a Honda/Acura fanboy myself and can offer no insights on Ford trucks. But I can recommend a buying process that has been quite satisfactory to me since the early '90's. Don't approach vehicle buying as you negotiating with folks who negotiate car sales for a living - think of it as you evaluating competing bids from a number of possible suppliers, and structure your approach accordingly. Without getting into a bunch of details, the basic idea is, after you have done test drive(s) and settled on a vehicle, contact enough dealers to generate at least 6-8 specific dollar quotes by email. Then buy from the lowest (that doesn't play games with the numbers when you show up). There is no need to negotiate, and no need to even show up at a store until you have made your pick. If you like, you can circle back to all who gave you a quote with the best price from round one to see if they can improve their own offer. Personally, I don't do this more than once.

Following this approach over the last 6-8 car purchases, I have always found at least one dealer who is ready to make an offer substantially below the others. I never know which one it will be, but there is always at least one who stands out. With a set of "best and final" quotes in hand, you can decide if the lowest meets your needs. If not, maybe you want to wait on your purchase, or consider another vehicle.

I highly recommend visiting James Bragg's website: https://fightingchance.com/ You can just read his material or even buy his customized support if you want. I think it's $40-50 for one very detailed vehicle-specific snapshot of market conditions, current offers, etc. Either way, very helpful.

Good luck

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:16 am

Each dealer will be different.

Our Ford dealer starts pricing at "Dealer Invoice". MSRP never comes into play. Discounts are applied and there are usually financing discounts available, but those may be an "and/or" decision.

We have a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi and a 2013 Ford Flex. Both are great vehicles. No issues. Before the 2017 we had a 2014 Ford Explorer. That too was a great vehicle. The wife wanted a hybrid/electric car for in town buzzing.

Brother-in-law and Father-in-law have 2017+ "aluminium" Ford F-150s. Both really like them. The 2018 should have some nice discounts now.

Best if you can play 2 dealers off each other. Play hard to get, be prepared to walk away. Give a deadline for the best deal. Good luck!
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:19 am

Longruninvestor wrote:
Enter the VIN of the vehicle you are interested in and you will see exactly how it was built at the factory.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php?

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:23 am

Just a word on X plan. If you become a member, you will have access to the X-plan website. This gives you the X-plan price on any vehicle at any dealer. That's the good. The better is that it is child's play to get the dealer to beat the X-plan price. The last time I used it (as a Ford supplier), once I got my best price, I told the dealer that I'm a supplier with a pin and asked if the price could be reduced further, to which he responded that X is a set price....far higher than what we negotiated to (which I knew, having looked at the car first on the web site).

But if you're surrounded by high priced, hard ball playing dealers, X-plan might be the way to go.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:26 am

You'll get your best deal on the one thats been on the lot the longest. Check the date of manufacture on the driver's door pillar. Might also be on the factory sticker.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:29 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:23 am
Just a word on X plan. If you become a member, you will have access to the X-plan website. This gives you the X-plan price on any vehicle at any dealer. That's the good. The better is that it is child's play to get the dealer to beat the X-plan price. The last time I used it (as a Ford supplier), once I got my best price, I told the dealer that I'm a supplier with a pin and asked if the price could be reduced further, to which he responded that X is a set price....far higher than what we negotiated to (which I knew, having looked at the car first on the web site).
True. But, two points.

1) This takes time, and requires the buyer be very educated on pricing.

2) Second, some dealers play games. They jack the paperwork fee to $499, add on a whole bunch of things like rust proofing, paint sealant, glass protection, etc. With X-Plan your deal is reviewed by Ford, so if they see a paperwork fee above $100, they come down on the dealer and give the buyer a refund.

Many people are totally ill-equipped to negotiate anything, much less a $50 - $60,000 vehicle purchase. A good salesperson or general manager eats them alive. Then a finance manager sells them all sorts of things they don't need.

My mother has "Patsy" written on her forehead. Knives sold by college students, vacuum cleaners that do everything but sleep in your bed, you name it. Years ago she bought a Jaguar for MSRP. I went ballistic (found out after the fact), she said "you can't negotiate a Jag...". I picked up the phone, called her dealer, told him my name was Richard Rich and I wanted to buy a specific model (XJ?) and said "I can give you $2,000 off that price" and immediately got an ok, over the phone. Called her back and she was speechless.

I love negotiating, and haven't done it on a vehicle purchase since 2009 due to X-Plan, and now A-Plan, except for the trade price. I sold our last trade privately for $2,500 above the trade price, and am buying my mother's next car from a dealer two hours away due to trade price.

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 am

As a previous poster suggested, take a look at the F150forum.com
Lots of negotiating tips in the forum.
I bought an F150 last March for well under the sticker price.
There will soon be President's Day incentives as well.

spitty

Post by spitty » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:15 am

Here's an excellent thread in a very good forum that'll give you info overload on what to pay--about 850 pages over 4 years so don't get a headache:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/just-tel ... id-295614/

I wanted to buy an F150 Supercab last year and drilled deeply into Ford vs GMC engines, packages, etc. Long story short I ended up with a GMC Sierra SLT double cab; Ford package games and discount angles are just out of control and truthfully got a bit irritating! For instance, to get LED headlights in F150 you need the Lariat 502a pkg at $5000+ which has all kinds of stuff I didn't want--otherwise you're stuck with lousy halogens. In XLT trim you can't get LED mains--only halogens. Base headlights are HID in GMC and they work well. I bought at Laura GMC in Collinsville, IL. They have a monster inventory with good discount off MSRP without negotiating. Dennis Dillon in Boise, ID looks good also.

rivers03

Post by rivers03 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:55 am

We bought a new F-150 last year- first time to ever buy a brand new car. We spent weeks researching negotiation tactics. I signed up and got one of the Private Cash offers from Ford for I think $1000. I found it very difficult to compare similar models due to the massive variety in options available on the F-150s outside of the basic trim level options. We decided on a few "must haves" and emailed any dealer within a few hours radius with one fitting our parameters on the lot. We negotiated back and forth a few times on the out the door price. After we agreed on the price, we drove to the dealer and then told them about the private cash offer to bring the price down further. We did finance through Ford for a $1500+ rebate that was offered at the time but paid it off the next month with no penalty (4ish % interest as I recall with 800+ credit scores so we paid <$50 interest). We originally planned on buying a 2-3 year old F-150, but after the rebate and private cash offer, the savings really was not substantial (esp. at the XL trim level IMO). It was worth the few hours drive for us as we found a dealer that was willing to go considerably lower than we could find locally. My husband loves his truck and we hope to keep it for quite some time! Consider what options you really need. My husband had 4x4 on his old truck and used it maybe twice in 10 years as its mainly just for driving around town and we live in the southern US with little snow. Saved several thousand just by eliminating that as a "must have".
Last edited by rivers03 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deblog

Post by Deblog » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:57 am

We bought a 2014 used Lariat with 69000 miles but got it for $24,000. Much better than the 52,000-60000 new. We love it. Leather seats, drives as good as our old SUV.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 am

5 years ago bought a new Ford Taurus. Now has 120k miles and has been fairly reliable.

I went on cars.com, found the lowest price in the area ( large metropolitan area) Called them and they shaved some money off. Not a ton because their online prices were already discounted. I think I emailed or called one other dealer. Then emailed local dealer and asked if they could match it and they shaved a few hundred more off. All negotiations were email and phone. They also had several $ thousand of various Ford incentives.

Topic Author
Longruninvestor

Post by Longruninvestor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:55 pm

I’m always blown away by the effort that Bogleheads put into their responses —a big thank you to all the folks that responded to my questions. And to complete the picture I really haven’t started any negotiations yet. My gloves are laced and I’m circling the ring and this thread is part of my diligence in feeling out this new opponent. I do know exactly what I want in an F150. I appreciate the generosity of people on this board. Sharing knowledge and insight with others is a marvelous thing.

I’m not going to start up a Ford vs. Chevy debate and so I’ve stayed away from explaining the analysis and reasoning behind my choice in a truck. Suffice it to say that I like the F150 a lot and have concluded that it fits my needs the best. I look forward to putting one in my garage sometime in the future. I’m a very patient person and will pull the trigger only when I get the deal I want.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:34 pm

Longruninvestor wrote:
I’ve been a dedicated buyer of Japanese cars ever since I had enough money to pay cash for something above “beater” level —and had substantial equity in my home, an emergency fund and was maxing out retirement contributions. My quality and reliability perceptions also meant that there hasn’t been a domestic car in my garage since since the 1990s. Today I find myself in need a beefy tow vehicle and have decided I want (this definitely not a need) a new Ford F150.
After driving mostly Toyotas for the last 25 years, I bought an F150 three weeks ago for similar reasons. So far, I love it.

The previously mentioned negotiation thread on f150forum is a treasure trove of information. Take the time to really read it.

I even got the Price Negotiation Assistant (PNA) spreadsheet on how to calculate an offer. That was helpful. I had access to X-plan pricing, but it wasn't all that great.

The one dealer that had a truck in stock, which was last year's model, and configured very close to the way I wanted, would not get anywhere near what I thought was a reasonable price. (It is still sitting on their lot a month later.)

I ended up finding a used 2017 with 13k miles, still under warranty, that had been traded in at a Mercedes dealership. It was well priced, they negotiated some off of that, and I bought it for way less than even the very best deal on a new truck. This one is like new and configured exactly the way I wanted. The only thing I compromised on was color.

I was patient and searched online pretty diligently for about 2 months before I found a deal.

Having the window sticker posted online is very helpful in knowing the exact configuration. Unfortunately, those tend to Ford dealer websites and they typically have their used trucks priced at a premium.

Good luck. If you want to know something about package combinations, PM me and I'll try to help.

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:51 am

I have an F-150 and love it!

Ford has a little known perk for shareholders. If you own 100 shares of Ford stock for 90 days, you qualify for X-Plan pricing. This is basically a “friends and family” price that is non-negotiable and the dealer cannot add fees for unnecessary services (such as window VIN etching). If you aren’t a good negotiator this might be an option (not trying to be rude, just honest).

With Ford you can also have your truck custom built. I wanted a SuperCrew, 6 1/2’ bed, 3.55 gears, 36 gallon gas tank, and a few other specifics in the XLT trim level. I negotiated on the vehcile like any other car and the dealer submitted my order to Ford to build the truck.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:03 am

6Pack wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:51 am

Ford has a little known perk for shareholders. If you own 100 shares of Ford stock for 90 days, you qualify for X-Plan pricing. This is basically a “friends and family” price that is non-negotiable and the dealer cannot add fees for unnecessary services (such as window VIN etching). If you aren’t a good negotiator this might be an option (not trying to be rude, just honest).

With Ford you can also have your truck custom built. I wanted a SuperCrew, 6 1/2’ bed, 3.55 gears, 36 gallon gas tank, and a few other specifics in the XLT trim level. I negotiated on the vehcile like any other car and the dealer submitted my order to Ford to build the truck.
So you would buy 100 shares of stock (current price $8.71) for close to $900 and wait for 90 days vs. joining Experimental Aircraft Association for $40 (or less) and waiting 60 days? :oops:

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:15 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:03 am
6Pack wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:51 am

So you would buy 100 shares of stock (current price $8.71) for close to $900 and wait for 90 days vs. joining Experimental Aircraft Association for $40 (or less) and waiting 60 days? :oops:
Yes, one is an investment that pays dividends and the other is not. However, I negotiated a better deal than X-Plan pricing would have been (there was a way to get Ford’s website to display X, Y and Z plan pricing by slightly altering the address. This has been fixed though.

I was merely tossing it out as another option to the OP. He can (and should) do whatever he feels most comfortable doing.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:35 am

Someone earlier suggested USAA Car Buying services, but that is really TrueCar, which works for the dealers, not you. Instead, you could check CarBargains, https://www.checkbook.org/auto/, which does work for the buyer, and handles the negotiations for you for a reasonable price. People I know who have used it have been very satisfied.

BigMoneyGrip

Post by BigMoneyGrip » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:48 pm

What % off MSRP could you expect on a Platinum or tricked out Lariat?

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:51 pm

BigMoneyGrip wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:48 pm
Depends on whether it's a factory order or whether it's been sitting on the lot for eight months...
Attempted new signature...

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:11 pm

BigMoneyGrip wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:48 pm
The local Ford dealer has Platinum 2018s listed for 11-12% off MSRP.

I assume there is a bit more wiggle room. Still $60k after discounts.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Topic Author
Longruninvestor

Post by Longruninvestor » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:58 pm

So I've got an update on my search for an F-150. I sent emails to 9 dealers asking for quotes on an F-150 with an itemized list of features: cab configuration, trim level, box size, engine, equipment package etc. One replied with the sticker price ($64k and some change), 5 provided website links to vehicles that were reasonably close to what I requested and 2 gave me offers that were $1000 below their website price. 3 of the 9 dealers were close or at the bottom --within $100 of the low or roughly $7500 off of MSRP. I've decided I'm not going to bite until I see at least a 5 figure discount; one internet sales manager told me the other day that I probably wouldn't see a price like that until later in 2019 when Ford decides to clear some inventory before the 2020s arrive. I'll take that gamble and wait things out. I've read through the threads that were suggested about taking the next step and calling these dealers one by one and asking them to beat whatever the low is by $300 to play one off the others. I'm sure that can be an effective tactic but I've decided it's not my thing. Feel free to call me a bad negotiator, a patsy or whatever you want now.. :D

I am considering pursuing a membership in the experimental aircraft association that someone suggested to gain the X plan benefit. I never know if I can believe a salesperson or not but multiple representatives told me that their quoted price beats X-plan. It turns out a friend of mine is the daughter of a Ford employee and has purchased several Ford's over the years at employee pricing (A plan). I'm considering asking her to solicit a quote on the truck I want to get some data. I know I could never negotiate that particular deal but it would be useful to know where the real dealer floor is.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Longruninvestor wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:58 pm
I am considering pursuing a membership in the experimental aircraft association that someone suggested to gain the X plan benefit. I never know if I can believe a salesperson or not but multiple representatives told me that their quoted price beats X-plan.
Don't bother with the membership. You can absolutely do better than the X-plan price. The sales reps are likely telling you the truth.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Most figure out it isn't worth the effort to squeeze every last dollar out of a purchase. Even bigger purchases.

If you don't need to buy a new/used truck, then don't buy one. At some point the deal is good enough.

The car dealer has to pay taxes and salaries and electricity and heat. If you spend 3,6,9 months researching and agonizing over getting a specific level of discount your time/stress is worth something.

If you need that much of a discount, it doesn't sound like you should buy new. Thanks for the update.

Topic Author
Longruninvestor

Post by Longruninvestor » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:38 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm
Most figure out it isn't worth the effort to squeeze every last dollar out of a purchase. Even bigger purchases.

If you don't need to buy a new/used truck, then don't buy one. At some point the deal is good enough.

The car dealer has to pay taxes and salaries and electricity and heat. If you spend 3,6,9 months researching and agonizing over getting a specific level of discount your time/stress is worth something.

If you need that much of a discount, it doesn't sound like you should buy new. Thanks for the update.
I'm not agonizing over anything and no one "needs" a $50 to $60 thousand dollar truck. I "want" and can afford this vehicle --but the bottom line is my desire to not get ripped off.

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Strange question if you believe that Ford can sell at sticker.
Why would you want a new truck to tow....Just go to CarMax and find a f150, they're dime a dozen.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:46 pm

One of my local Ford dealers has "internet specials". I have bought 2 Fords that way. They also have an option where you tell them what you are looking for and what price you would be comfortable paying. I had some idea of what a good price on the Ford I wanted would be so I gave them that price and soon my wife drove home in her Ford.

I hope that you can figure out some other way to buy your Ford besides sticker price. The above Ford dealer offers some pretty heavy discounts on "some" F-150s on the internet. But the "some" is a pretty good selection and if you are patient probably the truck you want will show up as an internet special.

If you happen to be in Central Florida message me and I will give you the dealer's name.
Last edited by Vanguard Fan 1367 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:48 pm

Longruninvestor wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:38 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm

I'm not agonizing over anything and no one "needs" a $50 to $60 thousand dollar truck. I "want" and can afford this vehicle --but the bottom line is my desire to not get ripped off.
OK. So all the folks that buy at $7,500 off MSRP or dealer invoice are getting ripped off. I think that means almost everyone gets ripped off. Well, it is a new car purchase. That probably is true. Wasn't trying to be controversial.