How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink
Posts: 4841
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:17 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:52 pm
Do you wash your jeans after every wear?

Jeans only have so many washes/dries in them.

Let's say that number is 30. <insert your number of wash/dries here>

How can you make your jeans last longer? Only wash when dirty. Buy 2-3 identical pairs and then you wear/wash/dry them 1/3rd of the time. They should last 2/3 longer (but with 2/3 more expense).
This. I recently read an article written by a scientist who has focused their research on the washing of clothing. Her one tip was that most people simply wash clothing too often. Denim jeans can be worn many times without needing to be washed, and then can be hang dried. It's no coincidence that I have a single pair of jeans, that still look great after more than a decade of regular use, and my wife has 10+ pairs at all times and they rarely last more than 2 years or so.

User avatar
Youngblood
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 am

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by Youngblood » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Rubbing and washing = wear and tear

After they wear and tear sell them to a teenager for $67 and buy a couple of new ones for yourself that are not pre-washed.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

User avatar
praxis
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by praxis » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:37 pm
If the rest of the jeans are still in good/great shape, I’d mend them for modesty and keep wearing them. Some denim scraps from hemming or an old garment/jeans should give you lots of material to work with. If you do a decent job, the pants should remain comfortable with the repairs barely visible and provide lots of additional wear I’ve mended slacks for H. He loves using them for yard work and housework. They’re very soft and comfortable, and with patches, modest. Upthread was a good link on how to sew on a patch and mend slacks. Honestly, it can be quite gratifying and simple.
Mine consistently wear through on the top of both thighs. Granted, I don't buy the thickest jeans on the market, and I split and carry lots of firewood, which abrades the thighs more than anywhere else. I get attached to jeans softened by wear and resist tossing them so I bring them to any convenient seamstress or tailor and they have always had a box of denim scraps in their shop. They cut a soft piece to size and lay it under the shredded part and zigzag stitch back and forth. Usually costs me $10.

I currently have three "rescued" jeans that I wear on less "dressy" occasions. I grew up in the 60's and take my jeans pretty seriously. If I owned a sewing machine, I might try it myself. I do sew on buttons and darn socks with a lightbulb inside. (Grandma was born in 1887, and taught me that trick. I still have her button box).

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4358
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Mine used to wear out in the knees first - now they tend to wear out in the seat first (I guess because I spend the majority of my day sitting on my but - and that's were I tend to stretch them the most).

You are complaining because they wear out in a year - depending how often you wear them sounds like you are getting your money's worth to me. I buy new Levi's pretty much every year and just figure it's what's done.

lostinjersey
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by lostinjersey » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:46 pm

dratkinson wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 pm
Try to avoid situations that upset you. For example, stop watching the market news, Lou Ferrigno.
This made me laugh so hard.

2pedals
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by 2pedals » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 pm

praxis wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 pm
HIinvestor wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:37 pm
If the rest of the jeans are still in good/great shape, I’d mend them for modesty and keep wearing them. Some denim scraps from hemming or an old garment/jeans should give you lots of material to work with. If you do a decent job, the pants should remain comfortable with the repairs barely visible and provide lots of additional wear I’ve mended slacks for H. He loves using them for yard work and housework. They’re very soft and comfortable, and with patches, modest. Upthread was a good link on how to sew on a patch and mend slacks. Honestly, it can be quite gratifying and simple.
Mine consistently wear through on the top of both thighs. Granted, I don't buy the thickest jeans on the market, and I split and carry lots of firewood, which abrades the thighs more than anywhere else. I get attached to jeans softened by wear and resist tossing them so I bring them to any convenient seamstress or tailor and they have always had a box of denim scraps in their shop. They cut a soft piece to size and lay it under the shredded part and zigzag stitch back and forth. Usually costs me $10.

I currently have three "rescued" jeans that I wear on less "dressy" occasions. I grew up in the 60's and take my jeans pretty seriously. If I owned a sewing machine, I might try it myself. I do sew on buttons and darn socks with a lightbulb inside. (Grandma was born in 1887, and taught me that trick. I still have her button box).
Patches on jeans is a good opportunity to show off your personality.

User avatar
praxis
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by praxis » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm

2pedals wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 pm
praxis wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 pm
HIinvestor wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:37 pm
If the rest of the jeans are still in good/great shape, I’d mend them for modesty and keep wearing them. Some denim scraps from hemming or an old garment/jeans should give you lots of material to work with. If you do a decent job, the pants should remain comfortable with the repairs barely visible and provide lots of additional wear I’ve mended slacks for H. He loves using them for yard work and housework. They’re very soft and comfortable, and with patches, modest. Upthread was a good link on how to sew on a patch and mend slacks. Honestly, it can be quite gratifying and simple.
Mine consistently wear through on the top of both thighs. Granted, I don't buy the thickest jeans on the market, and I split and carry lots of firewood, which abrades the thighs more than anywhere else. I get attached to jeans softened by wear and resist tossing them so I bring them to any convenient seamstress or tailor and they have always had a box of denim scraps in their shop. They cut a soft piece to size and lay it under the shredded part and zigzag stitch back and forth. Usually costs me $10.

I currently have three "rescued" jeans that I wear on less "dressy" occasions. I grew up in the 60's and take my jeans pretty seriously. If I owned a sewing machine, I might try it myself. I do sew on buttons and darn socks with a lightbulb inside. (Grandma was born in 1887, and taught me that trick. I still have her button box).
Patches on jeans is a good opportunity to show off your personality.
My garden and my woodpile do not judge me.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 6453
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:23 pm

For me, fuller cuts when they were introduced essentially eliminated the problem. Even though I was wearing jeans to work almost daily the past many years, the wear in the inner thigh wasn't much of a problem anymore.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Topic Author
mindgap
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by mindgap » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:32 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:17 pm
This. I recently read an article written by a scientist who has focused their research on the washing of clothing. Her one tip was that most people simply wash clothing too often. Denim jeans can be worn many times without needing to be washed, and then can be hang dried. It's no coincidence that I have a single pair of jeans, that still look great after more than a decade of regular use, and my wife has 10+ pairs at all times and they rarely last more than 2 years or so.
I do exactly that. I don't over wash my Jeans and I let them air dry all year round (SoCal makes it possible). The Jeans also looks still great but not useable anymore when it has holes of the insight of your thighs. That drives me nuts.

Topic Author
mindgap
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by mindgap » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:23 pm
For me, fuller cuts when they were introduced essentially eliminated the problem. Even though I was wearing jeans to work almost daily the past many years, the wear in the inner thigh wasn't much of a problem anymore.
Fuller cuts = bigger size = more material = less friction?

User avatar
JPH
Posts: 840
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by JPH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Don't throw them away. Search the forum for the thread on bluejean stropping your disposable razors.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Topic Author
mindgap
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by mindgap » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:41 pm

FGal wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:51 pm
Used to have this issue, if you sew, here's a fix/workaround: http://fatshionista.livejournal.com/4648359.html

Has nothing to do with the amount of $ spent. If your thighs are rubbing, even the most expensive unicorn-hair, kissed by angels fabric will wear out from the friction.

Lol, nicely said. I like this solution. Maybe time to get a sewing machine?

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 6453
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:16 pm

mindgap wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:33 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:23 pm
For me, fuller cuts when they were introduced essentially eliminated the problem. Even though I was wearing jeans to work almost daily the past many years, the wear in the inner thigh wasn't much of a problem anymore.
Fuller cuts = bigger size = more material = less friction?
The wear comes from friction and stress on the fabric. The fuller cuts are, for me, less tight in the thigh.

Now that I'm retired, I only wear them if I'm leaving the house, preferring cotton drawstring shorts at home. So less wear will probably allow the current ones to last a long time.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

pdavi21
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by pdavi21 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:48 pm

I'm glad people on this forum are so brutally honest. Most other people will lie to you.

jimmo
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49 am

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by jimmo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:22 pm

I have this exact same problem. After about a year the inner thigh/ lower crotch area will wear thin, then a hole, then ripped. Rest of the jeans will still look about new. Buy another pair, rinse and repeat. It's annoying and wasteful. It's not a weight problem. I'm 6ft 185 lbs generally athletic. Maybe my proportions are off relative to the general population. When big baggy jeans were in style it wasn't an issue. With any jeans slightly fitted looking, it is a problem.

dustinst22
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by dustinst22 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:05 pm

- lose weight
- higher quality jeans
- looser fitting jeans


In short, if you're overweight, don't try to be a hipster with the tight fitting jeans.

Topic Author
mindgap
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by mindgap » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:19 am

dustinst22 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:05 pm
- lose weight
- higher quality jeans
- looser fitting jeans


In short, if you're overweight, don't try to be a hipster with the tight fitting jeans.
I think we already figured out that it doesn't only happen to overweight people. Its also about how your muscles are build around your legs. I for myself do lots of sports where I have to use my legs (biking, soccer, jogging) so I have more muscle tissue in specific areas.

Higher Quality Jeans also don't really prevent it. It happened to me to $400 jeans and to $25 jeans from Ross.

Looser fitting Jeans might be the cure here.

jbmitt
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:00 am

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by jbmitt » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 am

You may want to look at Levi’s 541. I believe they are a more athletic cut for people with larger thighs.

Topic Author
mindgap
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by mindgap » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:23 am

jbmitt wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 am
You may want to look at Levi’s 541. I believe they are a more athletic cut for people with larger thighs.
Great tip. I will check that out. Thanks!

User avatar
Info_Hound
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by Info_Hound » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:26 am

My daughter has the same issue. She has a physically demanding job that wears out jeans at an alarming rate. The price of decent jeans is nothing to sneeze at.

If you are buying the type of jeans that are acid washed or pre-faded, the treatment of the fabric weakens the threads. Avoid buying them and opt for the standard jeans without the fashion treatments, they do last longer.

kskih
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: How do I stop jeans from ripping in the thighs?

Post by kskih » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:48 pm

I cannot believe no one has suggested the ultimate fix to jeans (or any pair of pants/shorts) wearing in the inner thigh area ....

wait for it ....














Liposuction .. And funny right, but I'm not making fun, it worked for me .. not overweight but also became sick of my genetics :sharebeer :shock:

Post Reply