Superautomatic espresso machines

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
ThankYouJack
Posts: 3088
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:58 pm

I never would have considered paying about a grand for a "coffee maker" but I tried an espresso from my friends Jura and was quite impressed, definitely better than my stovetop espresso maker. Then I figured if the machine lasts 5 years and I use it twice a day, that's only about a quarter per use and considering the time saved and convenience it would be worth it.

I assume it's labeled "superautomatic" most are very easy to operate and clean.

I like iced coffee in the summer, so would probably do iced americanos. I'm not sure if a 16 oz glass would fit in most of them, but I guess it wouldn't be end of the world if I need to use a mug and then pour into a glass.

It seems like many of them have short warranties - 1 or 2 years. Should I be concerned about it running into problems soon after or do they tend to be reliable?

What else should I look for and any recommendations for specific models?

02nz
Posts: 3036
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by 02nz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:05 pm

Years ago I owned a DeLonghi superautomatic; it was fine but still a bit of a hassle to clean and maintain. In the morning sometimes you just want a cup with the least amount of fuss possible. Superautomatics also take up a lot of counter space. I replaced the DeLonghi with Nespresso, the coffee is at least as good though more expensive per-cup. Philips Saeco superautomatics also seem to get good reviews. But any machine with that many moving parts is going to have more issues on average.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack
Posts: 3088
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:37 pm

I know the Nespresso are well received on here so it's something I'll consider. I'm not sure if I would like the coffee as much as some of my local roasters though. I know you can fill capsules with your own beans but then that removes the simplicity aspect of it

gmc4h232
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:11 am

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by gmc4h232 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:39 pm

Got an aeropress for Xmas. Loving it

Annabel Lee
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by Annabel Lee » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:54 pm

Love my Nespresso.

Purchased our current model (Nespresso plus DeLonghi latte/cappuccino maker) 4 years ago for around $250; we use this at least twice a day and the machine is still going strong. We don't use the cappuccino feature as much - I think the base model retails for around $100.

Trader Joe's sells compatible capsules for $3 per 10-pack; coffee isn't quite as good as Nespresso but it checks the Boglehead frugality box.

The really high end options -- Jura for $1k is just the tip of the spear -- are cool as hell, but I'm not enough of a fiend or coffee nerd to justify this expense.

RDHUSA
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by RDHUSA » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:33 pm

We purchased a Nespresso Creatista for Christmas and have made about 2 dozen cups of flat white, espresso, machiato, and latte's so far. We love it, my wife is in heaven. It is very easy to use and clean and has a built in milk frother. Highly recommend it. However, we're fairly simple people and easy to please, so I have no idea if it comes close to meeting the expectations of those who are willing to spend $1k plus on a machine. The Nespresso machines are all on sale right now on Amazon.
Life is good.

stan1
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by stan1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:57 pm

A friend made me a coffee in his Jura on Christmas day. It was good. Then his wife described how much maintenance it was (descaling, cleaning). They like it and use it a lot but agree a Nespresso is probably simpler to maintain without the expensive capital investment.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack
Posts: 3088
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:17 pm

What sort of maintenance / cleaning is required for a Nespresso machine?

Its tempting and it seems like the machines are cheap ($125 for an evoluo) but the pods are about $1.25 for the Virtuoline coffee. Compared to maybe 40-50 cents if I bought beans at $10-12 bag and used a Super Automatic. So say it's $1,000 for the SuperAutomatic and I drink 2 cups a day. The breakeven point would be just under three years for the super automatic to be cheaper. I would expect to keep it longer than that assuming it holds up. Since most get good reviews, I would think they're pretty reliable.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack
Posts: 3088
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:19 pm

stan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:57 pm
A friend made me a coffee in his Jura on Christmas day. It was good. Then his wife described how much maintenance it was (descaling, cleaning). They like it and use it a lot but agree a Nespresso is probably simpler to maintain without the expensive capital investment.
Do you know what model? My friend with an E6 said it's extremely simple but haven't had theirs for long

stan1
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by stan1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:22 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:19 pm
stan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:57 pm
A friend made me a coffee in his Jura on Christmas day. It was good. Then his wife described how much maintenance it was (descaling, cleaning). They like it and use it a lot but agree a Nespresso is probably simpler to maintain without the expensive capital investment.
Do you know what model? My friend with an E6 said it's extremely simple but haven't had theirs for long
Sorry, they've had it about about 7 years so might not still be in production. Good news is that it has never needed repairs but they do clean and descale it regularly. That's all I know.

Cycle
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by Cycle » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:28 pm

I was in an Airbnb and the owner had a super fancy espresso machine. It was automatic, ground the beans. I think I had roughly eight double espressos a day, so my per use cost would be much lower than what you are projecting.

It's like having an in home Barista.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Theseus
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by Theseus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:34 pm

Philips Saeco from Costco for about $500. Been running for 3 years. We are not following weekly and monthly cleaning schedule. We just clean and lubricate it inside when we feel like it. We do descale it when it reminds us.

But we love this machine.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack
Posts: 3088
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Theseus wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:34 pm
Philips Saeco from Costco for about $500. Been running for 3 years. We are not following weekly and monthly cleaning schedule. We just clean and lubricate it inside when we feel like it. We do descale it when it reminds us.

But we love this machine.
That’s an appealing price. Which model is it?

02nz
Posts: 3036
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by 02nz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:17 pm
What sort of maintenance / cleaning is required for a Nespresso machine?

Its tempting and it seems like the machines are cheap ($125 for an evoluo) but the pods are about $1.25 for the Virtuoline coffee. Compared to maybe 40-50 cents if I bought beans at $10-12 bag and used a Super Automatic. So say it's $1,000 for the SuperAutomatic and I drink 2 cups a day. The breakeven point would be just under three years for the super automatic to be cheaper. I would expect to keep it longer than that assuming it holds up. Since most get good reviews, I would think they're pretty reliable.
The Original Line capsules are cheaper, around 70 cents each. The machines also cost a bit less on average.

jayk238
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by jayk238 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:38 pm

02nz wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:05 pm
Years ago I owned a DeLonghi superautomatic; it was fine but still a bit of a hassle to clean and maintain. In the morning sometimes you just want a cup with the least amount of fuss possible. Superautomatics also take up a lot of counter space. I replaced the DeLonghi with Nespresso, the coffee is at least as good though more expensive per-cup. Philips Saeco superautomatics also seem to get good reviews. But any machine with that many moving parts is going to have more issues on average.
I dont know if its the pods or if I just have specific tastes but I cant stand nespresso. The coffee tastes fake and has a distinct chemical feel. Getting used to chemex coffee hasmt helped either.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:31 am

I bought a Gaggia Velasca last March, and we're very pleased. It's a super automatic, so you put the beans in a hopper on top, keep the water filled, and empty the used pods drawer. Cleaning is regular, but easy. Take out the brew group and the drawer below - rinse well with water. Clean the pod drawer and water collection tray under the machine. Wipe any loose coffee from the brew group area. I do once a week or every 10 days. Replace the filter in the water tank every 500 brews, descale every 6 months, lube the brew group every 6 months. That's about it. You're not supposed to use the real dark oily beans as they will gum up the grinder.

We probably do 5 or 6 cups a day (espresso or lungo) and some cappuccinos. There is a wand for frothing. $750~

We had a Nespresso for the five years previous. I liked a lot, but it finally died. Gaggia is more cost effective over the long run, plus we're not putting all the spent capsules in the trash. Expelled pods from the Gaggia go to the compost heap.

jima
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by jima » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:56 am

Have had a Jura for about 6 years now and still love it. Out of everything in the house it would be the item my wife values the most. Forget the exact model, think it is a J6 or possibly the predecessor.

There is a little bit of maintenance but it guides you with color pictures on the display of what to do. The cleaning and descaling cycles are automatic, just pop in a tablet. Consumables are fairly priced on Amazon.

Had a built-in Miele at a previous house which was also great, but needed something that was standalone. First bought a philips saeco and it made fine coffee but was super slow, drove us nuts. Swapped it for the Jura and no regrets, much betterunit. We mainly use it just for daily coffee/tea, and maybe a few times a year do milk based drinks. If you do those there is some extra cleaning required to make sure all of the milk gets removed after each use, so that is a deterrent from making them every day.

carguyny
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by carguyny » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:08 am

They make an average crema, cost too much and things break. I do mine the old fashioned/manual way (including a manual grinder for the beans).

I used to pay $6.75/coffee in NYC and now make much better espresso at home for about $0.15/double. I use a lot of sole source beans from different local roasters, get the real flavor notes and have some go to bags that I buy. Right now I'm using coffee from https://www.devocion.com/ and have a subscription incoming from https://www.alabastercoffee.com/

It takes me about 2-3 minutes to make an espresso including grinding the beans by hand etc.

motorcyclesarecool
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:32 am

02nz wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:17 pm
What sort of maintenance / cleaning is required for a Nespresso machine?

Its tempting and it seems like the machines are cheap ($125 for an evoluo) but the pods are about $1.25 for the Virtuoline coffee. Compared to maybe 40-50 cents if I bought beans at $10-12 bag and used a Super Automatic. So say it's $1,000 for the SuperAutomatic and I drink 2 cups a day. The breakeven point would be just under three years for the super automatic to be cheaper. I would expect to keep it longer than that assuming it holds up. Since most get good reviews, I would think they're pretty reliable.
The Original Line capsules are cheaper, around 70 cents each. The machines also cost a bit less on average.
+1 on OriginaLine machine/ capsules. I only buy more capsules when Nespresso club is offering free sleeves, and I only purchase the minimum number to qualify for free shipping. Last deal I bought was buy 9 sleeves, get two free. 110 pods for $63 including shipping worked out to $.58 per pod. For the name brand stuff. For me to go generic, I wanna see the price under $.30 per pod maximum.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

investingdad
Posts: 1687
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by investingdad » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:15 am

We have a Jura F8. Our first Jura made 12,000 espresso shots per the counter before it failed beyond repair. The old one and this one are both Swiss made.

Cleaning is easy, just follow the prompts. We buy gallon spring water to use. We bought a large container of cleaning tabs years back that we still use.

I don't like pods. We make at least 3 or 4 espresso drinks a day and mine are doubles. That's a lot of pod waste.

For us, the cost is worth it.

duckcalldan
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:55 pm
Location: City of Destiny, WA

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by duckcalldan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:38 am

carguyny wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:08 am
They make an average crema, cost too much and things break. I do mine the old fashioned/manual way (including a manual grinder for the beans).

I used to pay $6.75/coffee in NYC and now make much better espresso at home for about $0.15/double. I use a lot of sole source beans from different local roasters, get the real flavor notes and have some go to bags that I buy. Right now I'm using coffee from https://www.devocion.com/ and have a subscription incoming from https://www.alabastercoffee.com/

It takes me about 2-3 minutes to make an espresso including grinding the beans by hand etc.
Sorry, unless you roast your own beans, you’re useless to me. :D :D :D

Seriously, what machine do you own? I have a cheap Sacco that I’m thinking of replacing. I do roast my own beans and have a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso grinder.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack
Posts: 3088
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:45 am

motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:32 am
02nz wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:17 pm
What sort of maintenance / cleaning is required for a Nespresso machine?

Its tempting and it seems like the machines are cheap ($125 for an evoluo) but the pods are about $1.25 for the Virtuoline coffee. Compared to maybe 40-50 cents if I bought beans at $10-12 bag and used a Super Automatic. So say it's $1,000 for the SuperAutomatic and I drink 2 cups a day. The breakeven point would be just under three years for the super automatic to be cheaper. I would expect to keep it longer than that assuming it holds up. Since most get good reviews, I would think they're pretty reliable.
The Original Line capsules are cheaper, around 70 cents each. The machines also cost a bit less on average.
+1 on OriginaLine machine/ capsules. I only buy more capsules when Nespresso club is offering free sleeves, and I only purchase the minimum number to qualify for free shipping. Last deal I bought was buy 9 sleeves, get two free. 110 pods for $63 including shipping worked out to $.58 per pod. For the name brand stuff. For me to go generic, I wanna see the price under $.30 per pod maximum.
Ideally I'd like the machine to make cups of coffee too which is why I was looking at the newer lines. Do you ever make lattes with it?

I think the original pods use less coffee for smaller drinks so I'm guessing it's about 25 cents worth of coffee or cheaper if I went with generic coffee.

Paddygirl
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:09 am

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by Paddygirl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:04 am

I've had a Nespresso for 3 years now. Works great. Expensive capsules though!

InvisibleAerobar
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:34 am

duckcalldan wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:38 am
carguyny wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:08 am
They make an average crema, cost too much and things break. I do mine the old fashioned/manual way (including a manual grinder for the beans).

I used to pay $6.75/coffee in NYC and now make much better espresso at home for about $0.15/double. I use a lot of sole source beans from different local roasters, get the real flavor notes and have some go to bags that I buy. Right now I'm using coffee from https://www.devocion.com/ and have a subscription incoming from https://www.alabastercoffee.com/

It takes me about 2-3 minutes to make an espresso including grinding the beans by hand etc.
Sorry, unless you roast your own beans, you’re useless to me. :D :D :D

Seriously, what machine do you own? I have a cheap Sacco that I’m thinking of replacing. I do roast my own beans and have a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso grinder.
For all the ease of a super-auto, it can’t properly foam milk. Get the Rancilio Silvia PID, you won’t regret it. It’s what i bought after my Saeco failed (due to my own negligence). I also have the same grinder as you, though im thinking of upgrading to an Eureka Specialita. The grinding precision on the preciso is rather lacking, and the vibration from the grinding has a tendency to knock the fineness adjustment out of position. Im still not that good at doing latté art, but i can do a heart using the Rancilio
Last edited by InvisibleAerobar on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02nz
Posts: 3036
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by 02nz » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:03 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:45 am
motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:32 am
02nz wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:17 pm
What sort of maintenance / cleaning is required for a Nespresso machine?

Its tempting and it seems like the machines are cheap ($125 for an evoluo) but the pods are about $1.25 for the Virtuoline coffee. Compared to maybe 40-50 cents if I bought beans at $10-12 bag and used a Super Automatic. So say it's $1,000 for the SuperAutomatic and I drink 2 cups a day. The breakeven point would be just under three years for the super automatic to be cheaper. I would expect to keep it longer than that assuming it holds up. Since most get good reviews, I would think they're pretty reliable.
The Original Line capsules are cheaper, around 70 cents each. The machines also cost a bit less on average.
+1 on OriginaLine machine/ capsules. I only buy more capsules when Nespresso club is offering free sleeves, and I only purchase the minimum number to qualify for free shipping. Last deal I bought was buy 9 sleeves, get two free. 110 pods for $63 including shipping worked out to $.58 per pod. For the name brand stuff. For me to go generic, I wanna see the price under $.30 per pod maximum.
Ideally I'd like the machine to make cups of coffee too which is why I was looking at the newer lines. Do you ever make lattes with it?

I think the original pods use less coffee for smaller drinks so I'm guessing it's about 25 cents worth of coffee or cheaper if I went with generic coffee.
Yes you can make very good lattes and cappuccinos with Nespresso from the Original (or Vertuo) Line capsules and using their Aeroccino (which you can buy in a bundle with the Nespresso machine) or your own milk frother. I find that the Aeroccino does a better job than the milk frothers on the superautomatics I've used.

motorcyclesarecool
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:10 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:45 am
motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:32 am
02nz wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:17 pm
What sort of maintenance / cleaning is required for a Nespresso machine?

Its tempting and it seems like the machines are cheap ($125 for an evoluo) but the pods are about $1.25 for the Virtuoline coffee. Compared to maybe 40-50 cents if I bought beans at $10-12 bag and used a Super Automatic. So say it's $1,000 for the SuperAutomatic and I drink 2 cups a day. The breakeven point would be just under three years for the super automatic to be cheaper. I would expect to keep it longer than that assuming it holds up. Since most get good reviews, I would think they're pretty reliable.
The Original Line capsules are cheaper, around 70 cents each. The machines also cost a bit less on average.
+1 on OriginaLine machine/ capsules. I only buy more capsules when Nespresso club is offering free sleeves, and I only purchase the minimum number to qualify for free shipping. Last deal I bought was buy 9 sleeves, get two free. 110 pods for $63 including shipping worked out to $.58 per pod. For the name brand stuff. For me to go generic, I wanna see the price under $.30 per pod maximum.
Ideally I'd like the machine to make cups of coffee too which is why I was looking at the newer lines. Do you ever make lattes with it?

I think the original pods use less coffee for smaller drinks so I'm guessing it's about 25 cents worth of coffee or cheaper if I went with generic coffee.
Lattes are my go-to. If I’m low on milk, I’ll do cappuccinos. I got a DeLonghi CitiZ with milk frother with a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath, and beyond. The frother is very easy to clean and makes a killer hot chocolate.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

GmanJeff
Posts: 554
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:12 am

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by GmanJeff » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:22 pm

I use and like a Krups EA9010 superautomatic. One-touch cleaning, has been reliable over the three years or so I have owned it, and allows me to experiment with an infinite variety of coffee beans. It makes 17 different kinds of coffee drinks, including regular "drip"-type coffee.

Leemiller
Posts: 1274
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by Leemiller » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:21 pm

My colleague has a Gaggia and loves it. I’m just starting to look into this also. As for Nespresso, I have tried many of their pods and each one tastes very bitter to me. Nothing like a good espresso. Then again, I also find Starbucks to be bitter and prefer smaller local places.

User avatar
queso
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by queso » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:35 pm

We've had a Jura Capresso for about 6-7 years (I forget which model) and it has been reliable so far. As others have pointed out, it knows when it needs to be cleaned and will prompt you to perform the procedure which involves putting a couple of cups under the nozzles for drainage, throwing in a tablet and following the on screen instructions. We don't use the milk module/frother part of it at all and I couldn't even tell you where it is at this point. My wife makes espresso shots for iced coffee drinks and I make crema coffee for myself every now and then. It gets used more heavily around the holidays when we have a bunch of people in the house all wanting some form of coffee. Although it has been a decent machine, it has actually failed us when it comes to the original motivation for buying the machine - keeping my wife from going to the coffee shop every morning. She has gone through periods where she will use it some, but inevitably she always seems to go back to going to the coffee shop (local non-chain place). We also have a French press and a Nespresso, but those are primarily used by me. My favorite of the three is my French press, but I only fiddle around with that on weekends. I have a Nespresso in my office and use that almost every day during the week. In my opinion, the Jura makes better coffee/espresso than the Nespresso, but I am in a hurry in the morning to get out the door and into the office so I never fiddle around with it. I wait until I get in the office and then pop a few Peet's capsules into my Nespresso. I caught her looking at a La Marzocco the other day and reminded her that it was much more of a hassle than the Jura that she doesn't use now so hopefully she'll stop looking. :happy

Theseus
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by Theseus » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:39 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:47 pm
Theseus wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:34 pm
Philips Saeco from Costco for about $500. Been running for 3 years. We are not following weekly and monthly cleaning schedule. We just clean and lubricate it inside when we feel like it. We do descale it when it reminds us.

But we love this machine.
That’s an appealing price. Which model is it?
Saeco Intelia is the name - I don't see the exact model number on the machine. I don't know if Costco still sells those.

fogalog
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by fogalog » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:31 pm

+1 for Jura.

I have had 4 automatics over the last 20 years, 3 Jura and one Gaggia. The first Jura I bought in Europe in 1998 and only got rid of it when we moved to the US in 2002 (220 vs 110v). It was the smallest single boiler system and so frothing milk involved some futzing around. The next one I bought was (I think) an S95 which has 2 boilers. I eventually passed that on to a friend in 2012 after 10 years. It needed a repair but was otherwise rock solid. I am pretty sure he is still using it. In the meantime I bought a Gaggia. Maybe my expectations were unreasonable but even though it had a removable brew group - which I really wanted, and which the Juras don’t have - it never really worked for me so I got rid of it and went back to Jura. My current unit is an S9, an upgrade (for me) because every morning I push one button and get a perfectly brewed cappuccino with no futzing around. I love it.

It does take some regular maintaining: cleaning, filters and occasional descaling, but it is worth it in my opinion. I have had one major repair - the manifold which redirects water cracked because of scale build up - my own stupid fault for trusting filters and not descaling. There is a great repair place where I live (Bay Area).

My advice: descaling is important.

If I replace this machine I will buy another Jura. Or maybe a La Marzocco Speedster if I win the lottery, but that’s another story... :-)

Steezer
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by Steezer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:55 pm

+1 for Jura

We bought a Jura Impressa J5 superautomatic in 2007. Last I checked over 16000 cups brewed (the machine actually keeps track). I'm not sure where the inflection point is, but I have to believe I have come out way ahead as compared to using a Keurig or Nespresso.

I have been very impressed with this machine. Makes amazing coffee every time. It has not had one mechanical problem. I descale it a few times a year and run a cleaning cycle every 2 or three months. To me, the maintenance is not a big deal.

We use a medium roast, somewhat dry bean, Lavazza Gran Filtro. Delicious!

If this one ever quits, I will definitely buy another.

dustinst22
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by dustinst22 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:21 pm

I got a Jura IMPRESSA J9 refurbished by the factory in 2015. Was $1300 (I don't recall what it was new, but it was a substantial discount). My business partner had purchased one and had it for several years and recommended it. It's been fantastic, and operates just as well as I'd expect a new one to operate. No issues and it's easily one of the best purchases I've ever made. I see that others here have also had great experiences with it, confirms what I had already thought. Superb machine. When I need to replace this, I'll look for another refurbished model.

BanquetBeer
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by BanquetBeer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:38 pm

You just missed Costco’s annual Delong Eletta sale ($1200 out the door).

Not to snobby on milk froth, does just fine for us. Lattes all day so not much anyways.

We use RO water so no scale. It’s probably not a huge cost saving if you use nice milk/beans but the convince factor is nice.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack
Posts: 3088
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks all. Seems like Jura is the way to go. I'm not sure which model I would get - either an A, C or E. Will be interested in checking and trying out my friends E6 a bit more before pulling the trigger.

Dottie57
Posts: 7540
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Annabel Lee wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:54 pm
Love my Nespresso.

Purchased our current model (Nespresso plus DeLonghi latte/cappuccino maker) 4 years ago for around $250; we use this at least twice a day and the machine is still going strong. We don't use the cappuccino feature as much - I think the base model retails for around $100.

Trader Joe's sells compatible capsules for $3 per 10-pack; coffee isn't quite as good as Nespresso but it checks the Boglehead frugality box.

The really high end options -- Jura for $1k is just the tip of the spear -- are cool as hell, but I'm not enough of a fiend or coffee nerd to justify this expense.
Just bought the new Trader Joe’s Ristretto and Lungopods. Price is 3.99 for10 pods. They produce decent espresso. Good buy.

inbox788
Posts: 6697
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:31 am

I've graduated from the Nespresso to semi-automatic/automatic espresso, and to me, it's a big improvement. I looked at the automatic/super-automatic machines, but the cost and size was a barrier (as well as risk and cost of repairs). Plus my grinder and coffee are probably not yet maximized yet for my equipment and price points. I think I'll be saving money compared to the Nespresso pods in the long run.

I'm still learning to dial in the right grind and tweak the coffee/water amounts. The few semiautomatics I've tried didn't seem to produce better results, but may not have been properly optimized for the coffee beans. Also, some of the automation related with milk warming/frothing may be contributing to the size/cost/complexity of the machine. Depending on the types of drinks and alternatives you find acceptable, there may be simpler answers.

I have a steam wand and metal cup, but haven't learned how to use it well. I was going to go with a simpler solution like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Secura-Automatic ... 00JEPP64C/
but instead, went with an even less costly microwave and handheld wand frother like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Milk-Frothe ... B00Q4O5MY0

YMMV. Don't know if any coffee snobs are turning over in their graves.

international001
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Re: Superautomatic espresso machines

Post by international001 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Just some misconceptions:
-Pods are still not comparable to freshly grounded beans. Even if the coffee is sealed and fill with nitrogen, like Nespresso
-Pressure is not important. All machines get the 9 bars needed. Water is. Having a consistent temperature water flow can make a big difference
-Major difference you will find with the different coffee machines described here are the pressurized non-pressurized portafilters. Low end machines and the ones that use pods are pressurized. It's not real espresso. Same for most super-automatic machines.

Get a (semi-)automatic if you like espresso

Post Reply