Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite Mastercard®

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
susa

Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite Mastercard®

Post by susa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Just applied online (..and got approval + email from bank) for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite Mastercard®.

While it has the "spend 5,000 in 90 days, receive 70,000 points" offer, it was not clear immediately if these points convert to a cash back ($700) to account -or- if they can be redeemed only toward travel.

Would anyone here know ?

awval999

Re: Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite Mastercard®

Post by awval999 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:39 pm

You have to redeem them against a purchase that codes as travel. The miles are redeemed as an account credit.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:41 pm

The official rules for redeeming points from this card can be found here.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

susa

Post by susa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Looks like cash back is possible, no need to redeem against travel
You also have the option to redeem your miles for cash back statement credits, gift cards and merchandise.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:20 pm

You can redeem for cashback, but you will get 50% the value.

Here’s what you do. Book a very expensive refundable airline ticket. Redeem your points towards this charge. Then cancel the ticket and get a refund.

I recommend JetBlue as they let you cancel online very easily.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:30 pm

I have this card and don't love the way they have you redeem the "miles." They're not really miles but points that can be redeemed for statement credits against travel purchases. So if you have 70,000 points, and you make a $500 travel purchase, after the purchase posts you can redeem 50,000 points for a $500 statement credit. But it has to be in a travel category, you have to redeem for at least $100, and you only have a limited time window (I think 90 days within the purchase) during which you can redeem against that purchase. You do get a 5% rebate on redemptions, so in the above example you get 2,500 points back.

Capital One has similar cards that are marketed as "miles" cards but in reality just cash back on travel. But Capital One's redemption system is much more straightforward, without Barclay's ridiculous rules.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:20 pm
You can redeem for cashback, but you will get 50% the value.

Here’s what you do. Book a very expensive refundable airline ticket. Redeem your points towards this charge. Then cancel the ticket and get a refund.

I recommend JetBlue as they let you cancel online very easily.
I've done that too, but with unrestricted (not just flexible, which carry penalties) fares on United, or with prepaid hotel sites (e.g. Hotels.com) with rates that are free to cancel (usually up to 1 or 2 days before check-in, but pay close attention as there are also nonrefundable rates).

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:40 pm

For those that travel frequently this and similar cards (Cap1 Venture) are much easier to manage than booking through a travel portal etc. Not as easy as cashback but $700 for doing nothing (assuming you spend >$2000 a month) is a sweet deal.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:43 pm

This card has so many redemption obstacles!

Nice part about the current $700 offer is that the annual fee is waived for a year.

This card offers me zero ongoing value after the sign-up bonus, only frustration, and will not survive into its second year in my credit card portfolio.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Trism wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Nice part about the current $700 offer is that the annual fee is waived for a year.

This card offers me zero ongoing value after the sign-up bonus, only frustration, and will not survive into its second year in my credit card portfolio.
It’s literally the easiest way to redeem for travel, no? Book yourself and get refunded.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:06 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:46 pm
Trism wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:43 pm

It’s literally the easiest way to redeem for travel, no? Book yourself and get refunded.
1 - The minimum redemption is $100. If you have fewer than 10,000 points there is nothing you can do with them. Even $99 worth of points.

2 - Travel redemptions can only be made against purchases made in the previous 120 days. So if you want to close the account but haven't put a travel charge on the card in four months... well... sucks to be you.

3 -If you do a partial redemption against a charge, you cannot do another partial redemption later on the same charge (even against the portion that you didn't cover with your previous redemption).

4 - For partial-charge redemptions, the Barclays web site will tell you how many points you are allowed redeem. You may have 10,974 points sitting in your account, but when you try to do a partial redemption against a $200 charge it will only let you use exactly 10,000 points. So you have 974 points left. Now what? See #1.

This is off the top of my head. I'm sure there is more.

Horrible card.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:40 pm

I prefer the simplicity of the Uber visa card (also run by Barclay)--3% back on lodging and flights, 4% back on meals/bars, 2% on online shopping, cell phone insurance, and $50 credit for Amazon Prime or Netflix once you reach $5000 in spending (which effectively make the rate 4% for travel). No portals, redemption at $25, and I can combine it with cashback sites like befrugal that add another 2-12% cashback for travel sites. I also like that their web site shows how many points I earn next to each purchase, so I know I'm getting proper credit.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Trism wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Horrible card.
Counterpoint: I had this card a few years ago, milked it for the rewards (not sure if it was $700 back then, might have been $500?) and closed it before the fee. Then, immediately my wife got the same card and we repeated the exercise. It was an easy $1,000+, I think.

If you travel, it is pretty painless to collect the rewards. If you don't travel much, you might struggle.

This thread made me think about applying again. Hopefully they will give us each another card after a few years have passed (or maybe they hold a grudge).

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:19 pm

munemaker wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:00 pm
Trism wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Horrible card.
Counterpoint: I had this card a few years ago, milked it for the rewards (not sure if it was $700 back then, might have been $500?) and closed it before the fee. Then, immediately my wife got the same card and we repeated the exercise. It was an easy $1,000+, I think.

If you travel, it is pretty painless to collect the rewards. If you don't travel much, you might struggle.

This thread made me think about applying again. Hopefully they will give us each another card after a few years have passed (or maybe they hold a grudge).
Definitely get the signup bonus, cash out, and then shove it into the drawer until the AF posts.

Suggesting that I put any meaningful travel spending (100,000+ miles flown and dozens of hotel nights in a given year) on a 2% card is blasphemy. :)

fmhealth

Post by fmhealth » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:45 pm

On the positive side they are very liberal with the sign-up bonuses. Case in point is that six weeks ago I signed on for the 60,000 point bonus. They recently came out with a 70,000 bonus. I called & they gave me the extra 10,000 points. I enjoy this customer-centric approach.

I'll be sticking with them for the foreseeable future.

Be Well,
fmhealth

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Anyone know how long it takes after approval to get the actual card? I got instant approval and the card appeared immediately in my existing Barclays account. I did not opt for the $15 express delivery.