Winter boot recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FoolMeOnce

Winter boot recommendation

Post by FoolMeOnce » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 pm

I need some boots for Chicago winters. I took advantage of REI's Cyber Monday sale to try a couple Sorels; though they were both the same size, one was way too big and the other way too small (had I not known the size, I would've guessed two sizes bigger and two or three sizes smaller than what I ordered). I will return these.

Any suggestions? Something warm, waterproof, and at least above the ankle. Comfortable enough for wearing all day. I probably don't need ones halfway up my calf - seems like overkill for city use (one of the Sorels was up there).

Thanks!

motorcyclesarecool

Re: Winter boot recommendation

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:04 pm

I used to buy L.L. Bean knock-offs at Ames. They worked great. I recommend the L.L. Bean winter boots.

Also consider Merrell or Salomon snow mocs. I go for my merrells most mornings and change shoes at work.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:19 pm

Read the reviews of these:
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-25332 ... p?prdPV=18

if you order tonight, $10 off, use WEDNESDAY at checkout, offer ends November 28
on top of that, 20% off, use GIVE20 at checkout, offer ends November 28

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:51 am

MN here. We know boots. I've had very good luck with Khombu, made in Canada. Great, warm, well made boots. Sorrels are just too heavy and clunky for me.

tat2ng

Post by tat2ng » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:38 am

Wirecutter has a good in-depth review with various options based on expected use:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... and-women/

I personally love Keens.

I also have a pair of Bogs winter boots - they are my daily go-to for quick outdoor tasks around my property in the winter (live in the country w/ ~20 acres). Warm enough and so easy to slip on and off. They are also a very good choice for winter boots for children - waterproof, insulated and easy for kids to get on/off by themselves. Far better than anything you'd normally get at a Walmart or similar department store.

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:08 am

I wear Muck chore boots. A lot. They are very high quality and keep my feet dry and warm, and they breathe so are still OK in summer.

How about one of these styles?

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:14 am

if you are a female: La Canadienne or Tecnica after ski. Male, Tecnica (I think La Canadienne is only for women). They are pricy, but made in Canada and Italy, and well made, and last.

Topic Author
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks!

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:11 am

LadyIJ wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:14 am
if you are a female: La Canadienne or Tecnica after ski. Male, Tecnica (I think La Canadienne is only for women). They are pricy, but made in Canada and Italy, and well made, and last.
My wife has a 20 year old pair of Tecnica Skandia boots that she loves like no other. The soles are getting worn so she doesn't wear them as often as she'd like. I tried for about 10 years to get her a replacement pair, but they haven't offered a size 11 for a very long time, and recently discontinued that model entirely.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:23 am

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 pm
try a couple Sorels; though they were both the same size, one was way too big and the other way too small (had I not known the size, I would've guessed two sizes bigger and two or three sizes smaller than what I ordered).
I've owned several pairs of Sorels over the years and never experienced this. I wonder if someone put the wrong liners in one of the boots.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:39 am

FoolMeOnce wrote:
I need some boots for Chicago winters. I took advantage of REI's Cyber Monday sale to try a couple Sorels; though they were both the same size, one was way too big and the other way too small (had I not known the size, I would've guessed two sizes bigger and two or three sizes smaller than what I ordered). I will return these.

Any suggestions? Something warm, waterproof, and at least above the ankle. Comfortable enough for wearing all day. I probably don't need ones halfway up my calf - seems like overkill for city use (one of the Sorels was up there).

Thanks!
that's hilarious and similar to what happened to me... One size was too small and the other too big... I bought the bigger size and wear big wool socks.

The Sorel's have been spectacular.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:27 am

I have a pair of Columbia Omniheat boots (women's Crystal Mid Resort, to be exact). They are awesome. I'm also in Chicago and walk a lot. They wear like gym shoes and are slip resistant. I've walked through a lot of slush and they stay dry inside. Sometimes they get too hot if I'm walking a lot, but I can't really call it a downside.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:17 pm

goodlifer wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:27 am
I have a pair of Columbia Omniheat boots (women's Crystal Mid Resort, to be exact). They are awesome. I'm also in Chicago and walk a lot. They wear like gym shoes and are slip resistant. I've walked through a lot of slush and they stay dry inside. Sometimes they get too hot if I'm walking a lot, but I can't really call it a downside.
I bought those for my wife last year (not exact same model as yours, but omniheat). She says they are always warm!

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:14 pm

+1 on Keens boots.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:16 pm

It's been a while since I've needed boots, but I bought a pair of Uggs 15 years ago and would never travel to a cold climate without them.
♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫

oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:29 pm

bltkmt wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:14 pm
+1 on Keens boots.
+2 on Keens

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:33 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:23 am
FoolMeOnce wrote:
try a couple Sorels; though they were both the same size, one was way too big and the other way too small (had I not known the size, I would've guessed two sizes bigger and two or three sizes smaller than what I ordered).
I've owned several pairs of Sorels over the years and never experienced this. I wonder if someone put the wrong liners in one of the boots.
I wondered if one was men's size x and and the other was women's size x.

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:59 pm

LL Bean Boots. Iconic style. Either the 6" or 8" if you're just going to wear them at work.

If Chicago has 12 feet deep puddles of frozen slush at every street corner like NYC does after a snowfall, maybe the 8".

megabad

Post by megabad » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:16 pm

FoolMeOnce wrote:

Thanks!
Are you a boot person? I know that's a strange question, but it affects what I would recommend. Chicago is what I would consider a light boot type of environment for most people. I would break out my cheapies from Tractor Supply and Rural King (Itasca and Lincoln Outfitters brands respectively, I believe). You can get these off brands for $20-40 and wear a good pair of thick socks and insoles with them and they are as comfortable and warm as anything. I usually get about 2 years out of my light duty boots with light usage.

Now if you are a boot person, or you live someone more extreme, I would recommend a boot person's brand. To me, these are brands like Redwing, IrishSetter, Wolverine, and Ariat. I have all of these brands and I can usually get 4-5 years wear in heavy/rough usage (exposed weekly to water, mud, chemicals, crude oil, saltwater, etc), but they can cost quite a bit. They are usually super comfortable as well. I find that the fancy winter jacket brand boots and the hiking style boots last me about 1 season and tend to cost just as much.

Keep in mind I am a value purchaser, and I know nothing about fashion.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:21 pm

FoolMeOnce wrote:
I need some boots for Chicago winters.
It might be helpful to indicate your gender and whether your work environment is dressy or casual.

Topic Author
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks for all the additional suggestions.

Male, casual office, looking for something comfortable enough to wear all day.

I don't mind spending $$ (maybe up to $150) if the boots will hold up with the non-strenuous use they'll get for, I don't know, 7-10 years?
Last edited by FoolMeOnce on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:34 pm

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:13 pm
Male, casual office, looking for something comfortable enough to wear all day.
"...looking for something comfortable enough to wear all day"? While also weathering the Chicago winter conditions, i.e. traction to keep you from falling on ice and breaking bones, waterproof for when things turn slushy, etc.?

OP, is there a drawer or other space at your workplace where you can store your comfy work shoes i.e. whatever you wear during the spring/summer/fall? (I've lived in serious snow country my whole life, including time in Chicago; a locked file drawer works great.) I'm certainly open to learning, but I've yet to find the footwear equivalent of "all-season radials". I've always had winter boots that keep me safe, secure, confident and comfortable enough outside in-season, and once indoors change into the comfy indoor shoes. With respect to the former, Keens and Merrell have never let me down. LL Bean boots were never warm enough for me, even with the liners. On the plus side, they refunded my money, no questions asked, although I understand their "lifetime warranty" policy has changed due to too many people taking advantage, e.g. showing up with 30yo fully-worn gear and expecting free replacement....

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:37 pm

If slipping on ice is of any concern you might want to read this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/wint ... -1.3867531

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:39 pm

Ive had my Sorel Caribous for years but I usually go to my Wolverene 8" tall all leather work boot vibram sole/ gore tex liner / 200 gram thinsulate. With a pair of midweight merino wool socks I am good down to about 20 degrees. Heavy slush, water, snow, no problem.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:48 pm

I cycle in Columbia bugaboot tinanium with omniheats. I see a fair number of mail carriers with them.

These will be overkill for your needs.

Topic Author
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 am

yosh99 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:37 pm
If slipping on ice is of any concern you might want to read this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/wint ... -1.3867531
Thanks, ice is a consideration. Some on the list (the Sperry ones) have Vibram Arctic Grip soles, and those soles are used on some less heavy duty boots, too, so maybe that's a good avenue to pursue.

burt

Post by burt » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:37 am

For walking on serious ice I have a dedicated pair of Redwing work boots (soft toe, 6 inch, insulated, water proof) with Yaktrax steel cleats.
My only complaint is these are darn heavy.

For casual winter walking I really like my Ecco Track II boots. Insulated, light weight and comfortable.

burt

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:01 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:11 am
LadyIJ wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:14 am
My wife has a 20 year old pair of Tecnica Skandia boots that she loves like no other. The soles are getting worn so she doesn't wear them as often as she'd like. I tried for about 10 years to get her a replacement pair, but they haven't offered a size 11 for a very long time, and recently discontinued that model entirely.
You may look on ebay, if you don't mind used (you can sanitize) . . . also, she may get a men's after ski - not sure what size is comparable to a woman's 11.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:38 pm

For our trip above the Arctic circle last winter (a cruise, in part in search of Northern Lights), I went to REI and found that the Bogs boots were by far the best for what we might encounter, and also back at home given that we can get heavy snow... and slush.

They are totally waterproof, all the way up, at least until almost to the top, where there are two openings on each side of the top, so they are particularly easy to pull on.

https://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/72330-001.html

One nice thing is that the heavy insulation seemed to be everywhere, including the bottom.
I suspect they could be too warm if it's not really cold weather. So with the totally waterproof feature, this could perhaps be a problem for all day use. (I'm not aware there is any sort of one-way membrane.)
And they are bulky, so they aren't hiking boots.

But for something to pull on in very nasty weather, easy on/easy off, they were really ideal.
I can think of almost uncountable nasty, slushy days in the past when I would have *loved* having these.
The snow isn't always the problem, but slush, especially deep slush, can be a very big problem.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:53 am

FoolMeOnce wrote:

Thanks!
I have used Merrell waterproof (I think the height is called 'mid' and it is above ankle). Best boots in winter! They fit like a glove, they are not as comfortable as the moab vents for hiking, but I love putting them on in winter as they keep me dry and comfortable.

For really heavy snow that I need to clean off my driveway I have something else but I don't think you want those for regular everyday use. I think I got them from REI. They are above calf, insulated, and made by Muck.

ByThePond

Post by ByThePond » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:57 am

Another vote for L. L. Bean's boots, especially the fleece lined types. Cozy warm and wearable all day. They now have more styles than they used to.

drdrgolf

Post by drdrgolf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:36 am

LL Bean end of boot discussion IMO. I bought a pair of low-cuts that I will wear on the golf course on those cart-path-only days. Foot Joys and Dri Joys are great but on my course only the best will do. LLBean. And, they are almost fashionable these days.

Dom
Dominic

Topic Author
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:43 am

Thanks, all. After trying too many to mention, I went with Columbia Fairbanks Omni-heat. Very comfortable for all-day use, very warm, not great on ice. Couldn't find one that checked all of those boxes.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:17 am

I have a pair of Columbia Omni Titanium. Light and very warm and comfortable. Not bulky and heavy.

Here is the latest version:

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Powderh ... heat+boots

Bugaboot is another good model by Columbia. My feet have never gotten cold in the Omni Titanium. They are expensive, but a lot of places sell them. Much lighter than clunky Sorels.

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Mens-Bu ... Y1FQTRX6M7

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Mens-Bu ... s_sh_1_vtp
"A Stoic believes they don’t control the world around them, only how they respond--and that they must always respond with courage, temperance, wisdom, and justice." --Daily Stoic

sco

Post by sco » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Based on the links in this thread I bought the Keens and have been very happy with them for a month. They are so warm, they certainly won’t be used as general work boots during warmer months