Recommend Chrome ad-blocker

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kayanco

Recommend Chrome ad-blocker

Post by kayanco » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi,

I was searching for an Ad-blocker for Chrome and found uBlock Origin to be highly recommended. I installed it (with all filters enabled) along with Privacy Badger. But CNET doesn't get all ads removed, still has some large ones remaining. I've highlighted in red boxes:

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-is-ma ... conference

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-black-fr ... adphones-9

Do you use a Chrome ad-blocker that blocks these ads? Or preferably a filter for uBlock that can block these?

Thanks.
Last edited by kayanco on Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gusan

Re: Recommend Chrome ad-blocker

Post by gusan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:26 pm

CNET is just full of ads - another option is getting your tech news fix elsewhere :)

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Try Adblock Plus

AlexisAtEasternState

Post by AlexisAtEasternState » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Ditched Adblock Plus for uBlock Origin. Highly recemmend uBlock Origin

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:09 pm

Ublock let ads come thru sometimes. I noticed it a lot on YouTube at the beginning video after I switched from ad lock.

So idk which one is better they have advantages and disadvantages. About the same on both. I probably gonna switch back to adblock coz even few ads on some ads YouTube is annoying. Adblock blocks it completely.

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:22 pm

I use uBlock Origin with Chrome and have noticed more ads. I chalk it up to the motivation of the sellers but I don't plan to stop using it. I also use uMatrix which catches a lot of other things but at times I need to allow some sites through.

are_cynic

Post by are_cynic » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:58 pm

ScriptSafe works well for general ad disabling, but requires some effort set up. Avira Safe Browsing is an extension that seems to work specifically on YouTube video ads. If you like the Chrome interface, you might try the Brave browser, which is based on Chromium and has integrated ad blocking.

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Right click the ad, hit ublock origin's "Block Element" menu option, select the ad then hit Create in the ublock popup to set a new manual block. Agree with another poster, if the sites you visit disrespect you with excessive ads, find another site. Consider unblocking ads on that site.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:45 pm

uBlock Origin is the one to get, avoid the Adblock Plus variants as they've been coopted by ad/spyware companies. You definitely need some manual filtering in some places for sites like cnet.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:48 am

I use Ghostery. Works pretty well. On a rare occasion I have to use IE because some websites do not work properly with Ghostery/Chrome

Blues

Post by Blues » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 am

Adblock Plus along with Disconnect on our chromebook. An excellent tandem in my experience.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:53 am

AlexisAtEasternState wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:04 pm
Ditched Adblock Plus for uBlock Origin. Highly recemmend uBlock Origin
Momus wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:09 pm
Ublock let ads come thru sometimes. I noticed it a lot on YouTube at the beginning video after I switched from ad lock.

So idk which one is better they have advantages and disadvantages. About the same on both. I probably gonna switch back to adblock coz even few ads on some ads YouTube is annoying. Adblock blocks it completely.
Conch55 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:22 pm
I use uBlock Origin with Chrome and have noticed more ads. I chalk it up to the motivation of the sellers but I don't plan to stop using it. I also use uMatrix which catches a lot of other things but at times I need to allow some sites through.
arf30 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:45 pm
uBlock Origin is the one to get, avoid the Adblock Plus variants as they've been coopted by ad/spyware companies. You definitely need some manual filtering in some places for sites like cnet.
Blues wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 am
Adblock Plus along with Disconnect on our chromebook. An excellent tandem in my experience.
I tested a few ad blockers with the CNET pages I posted earlier:
https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-is-ma ... conference
https://www.cnet.com/news/best-black-fr ... adphones-9

Fair AdBlocker blocked everything on CNET.
uBlock Origin left some ads (screenshot in my OP).

Now, I know uBlock Origin is highly regarded and considered "safe" (along with Adblock and Adblock Plus), whereas there are many ad-block that are themselves problematic. But what about Fair AdBlocker? Is it one of the legitimate ones?

PaleoWorx

Post by PaleoWorx » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:57 pm

I use AdBlockPlus, Disconnect, Protect My Choices and Vanilla Cookie Manager to protect the little privacy that I have left in this world :)

crazygrow

Post by crazygrow » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:27 pm

This is likely an unpopular opinion, but if you arent willing to pay for the content you get free on the internet, all blocking ads does is (1) make it so the ads you do see are not targeted and (2) put content providers out of business. If you are willing to pay, have at it.

OAG

Post by OAG » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Ad Blocker Ultimate version 2,35 - Free Download as Chrome Extension.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

William4589

Post by William4589 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:27 pm

rolandtorres wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:13 pm
Right click the ad, hit ublock origin's "Block Element" menu option, select the ad then hit Create in the ublock popup to set a new manual block. Agree with another poster, if the sites you visit disrespect you with excessive ads, find another site. Consider unblocking ads on that site.
+1

five2one

Post by five2one » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:23 pm

Ghostery and be done.

If you want to get sexy add ad blocker's VPN.

drk

Post by drk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 pm

I use Privacy Badger and do not see any of the ad spots you noted on those articles. It looks like I asked PB to block all third-party origins on CNET.com.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:22 pm

five2one wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:23 pm
Ghostery and be done.

Do you not see the adds I highlighted in my 1st post screenshot?
I tried Ghostery but I still see them.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:26 pm

drk wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 pm
I use Privacy Badger and do not see any of the ad spots you noted on those articles. It looks like I asked PB to block all third-party origins on CNET.com.
Hi,
Can you please share where in PB you made that setting?

Also, it has as setting called "Check if third-party domains comply with EFF's Do Not Track policy". Do you know what it does or if it's any good to enable it?

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:46 pm

drk wrote:
I use Adblock and Privacy Badger. Default settings showed those ads in OP. I went to Privacy Badger and told it to block all the CNET-related domains (e.g. cnet2.cbsistatic.com), refreshed the page and the ads disappeared.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:54 pm

tuningfork wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:46 pm
drk wrote:
I use Adblock and Privacy Badger. Default settings showed those ads in OP. I went to Privacy Badger and told it to block all the CNET-related domains (e.g. cnet2.cbsistatic.com), refreshed the page and the ads disappeared.
In Privacy Badger, what setting do you use for "Check if third-party domains comply with EFF's Do Not Track policy"?

drk

Post by drk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:05 am

kayanco wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:54 pm
In Privacy Badger, what setting do you use for "Check if third-party domains comply with EFF's Do Not Track policy"?
To be completely frank, Do Not Track is a failure, and I disregard it entirely. The only way to avoid tracking is to not send requests to the server.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:09 am

kayanco wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:26 pm
Sure. In your browser, click on the Badger icon. From there, you can set a block/no-cookies/allow policy for each domain. On CNET, I believe you can safely set all of those domains to the left-most/red/block setting.

I do this a lot because Privacy Badger tends to be more forgiving than I am.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:13 am

kayanco wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:54 pm
tuningfork wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:46 pm
drk wrote:
I have it checked, which is probably the default since I don't remember setting it. As drk said, Do Not Track has been a failure. I expect it to go away at some point, but until then I just ignore those settings in my browsers and add-ons and let them default.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:18 am

drk wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:09 am
kayanco wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:26 pm
Sure. In your browser, click on the Badger icon. From there, you can set a block/no-cookies/allow policy for each domain. On CNET, I believe you can safely set all of those domains to the left-most/red/block setting.

I do this a lot because Privacy Badger tends to be more forgiving than I am.
I get it now :)

Does Privacy Possum do the same thing?

I see so many of these privacy related add-ons (not Ad blockers), that it's hard to choose. For ad-blockers I see an immediate benefit of cleaner pages, but I'm not sure about the privacy add-ons like Canvas and fingerprinting.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:35 am

kayanco wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:18 am
I hadn't heard of that before today, but it looks like he just forked PB, so you could expect similar (maybe better, maybe worse) behavior.
kayanco wrote:
I see so many of these privacy related add-ons (not Ad blockers), that it's hard to choose. For ad-blockers I see an immediate benefit of cleaner pages, but I'm not sure about the privacy add-ons like Canvas and fingerprinting.
Why should you care about the stuff not focused on advertisements? For me, the big one is data breaches. Every tracker builds a profile of your behavior, eventually becoming rich enough to uniquely identify you. When one of these companies suffers a major breach, your profile data is out there to be leveraged by attackers.

Blues

Post by Blues » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:22 am

I hadn't previously heard of Privacy Badger though I do use the EFF's HTTPS Everywhere.

Installed Privacy Badger alongside my Adblock Plus and Disconnect and I think they complement each other very well. No slow down...in fact, I notice better response on the pages I normally visit. (And each app is reflecting the number of intercepts it is dealing with.)

:beer
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:25 am

drk wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:35 am
kayanco wrote:
I hadn't heard of that before today, but it looks like he just forked PB, so you could expect similar (maybe better, maybe worse) behavior.
kayanco wrote:
Why should you care about the stuff not focused on advertisements? For me, the big one is data breaches. Every tracker builds a profile of your behavior, eventually becoming rich enough to uniquely identify you. When one of these companies suffers a major breach, your profile data is out there to be leveraged by attackers.
That's interesting. I was mostly thinking of this in terms of the visual annoyance of ads. So what can the attackers do with the profile data? I'd like to get a better understanding.

Thanks.

five2one

Post by five2one » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:49 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:22 pm
five2one wrote:
Ghostery and be done.

Hmmm, weird.

I run apple and microsoft products with vpn, ghostery & adblock without problems.
Just checked it on my mac/safari with ghostery and no ads.
Check your settings and ensure current version.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Ghostery by itself isn't a proper ad-blocker and it's a sell out to boot they sell blocking data back to the advertisers. Adblock, Adblock Pus, & Ublock (not Origins it's different) will let through ads if they are paid for it. That's pretty common knowledge if you look for it.

Learn how to use UBlock Origins (privacy badger isn't bad but not as full featured) and HTTPS Everywhere correctly and you will be far safer overall. I use it in advanced mode with 3rd party scripts, 3rd party frames and all tracking disabled permanently. If something comes up blocked that I want to see it's easy enough to unblock it until I close the tab.

No blocker will be 100% effective all the time. The way adds are delivered changes every 60-90 days and then the blockers are updated so anyone telling you XXX block is perfect doesn't really surf the internet enough to know the difference.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:47 pm

five2one wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:49 pm
kayanco wrote:
five2one wrote:
Ghostery and be done.

Hmmm, weird.

I run apple and microsoft products with vpn, ghostery & adblock without problems.
It looks like it's a browser thing. I don't see those ads with Firefox. But on Chrome I see them.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:57 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:22 pm
Ghostery by itself isn't a proper ad-blocker and it's a sell out to boot they sell blocking data back to the advertisers. Adblock, Adblock Pus, & Ublock (not Origins it's different) will let through ads if they are paid for it. That's pretty common knowledge if you look for it.

Learn how to use UBlock Origins (privacy badger isn't bad but not as full featured) and HTTPS Everywhere correctly and you will be far safer overall. I use it in advanced mode with 3rd party scripts, 3rd party frames and all tracking disabled permanently. If something comes up blocked that I want to see it's easy enough to unblock it until I close the tab.

No blocker will be 100% effective all the time. The way adds are delivered changes every 60-90 days and then the blockers are updated so anyone telling you XXX block is perfect doesn't really surf the internet enough to know the difference.
Yes, I'm looking in to these extensions.

I read about the controversy or issue about Ghostery selling user data or something along those lines. But now it is open source. Does that change things?

It's sounding like ad-blocker or other privacy tools themselves needed to be vetted because many of them do other undesirable things.

Btw, why is HTTPS Everywhere needed? Almost all the sites these days are already on https.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:01 pm

are_cynic wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:58 pm
ScriptSafe works well for general ad disabling, but requires some effort set up. Avira Safe Browsing is an extension that seems to work specifically on YouTube video ads. If you like the Chrome interface, you might try the Brave browser, which is based on Chromium and has integrated ad blocking.
I also use Brave. Brave is also available on Android.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:49 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:57 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:

I read about the controversy or issue about Ghostery selling user data or something along those lines. But now it is open source. Does that change things?

It's sounding like ad-blocker or other privacy tools themselves needed to be vetted because many of them do other undesirable things.

Btw, why is HTTPS Everywhere needed? Almost all the sites these days are already on https.
Nope Ghostery is in the business of making money from big advertising companies that alone should make people think twice about using it. Privacy Badger would be a better anti-tracking extension and is a good apple-to-apples comparison.

I wish that was true (HTTPS) but it's not. Most websites can accept https due to ISS/Apache adding the standard but they do not default to it. There's still major banks that take your username as http before passing it to a https api which allows all kinds of attack vectors and there's far worse out there if you look. Chrome makes a good attempt at forcing https when possible but there's lots of major websites that still hard default to http. HTTPS Everywhere never hurts to have running and helps on the off chances your being less than careful.

There's several really good security guides out there for setting up your browsers (dump all cookies and history on close for starters) and how to enable advanced features in ad blockers out there is you look around. The bestvpn.com guide comes to mind as a entry level starter.

five2one

Post by five2one » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:34 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:47 pm
five2one wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:49 pm
kayanco wrote:
five2one wrote:
Ghostery and be done.

Hmmm, weird.

It looks like it's a browser thing. I don't see those ads with Firefox. But on Chrome I see them.
On my chrome I don't have problems but I'm an advanced user that plays with my browser & plug-in settings.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 am

brad.clarkston wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:49 pm
kayanco wrote:
brad.clarkston wrote:

Nope Ghostery is in the business of making money from big advertising companies that alone should make people think twice about using it. Privacy Badger would be a better anti-tracking extension and is a good apple-to-apples comparison.

I wish that was true (HTTPS) but it's not. Most websites can accept https due to ISS/Apache adding the standard but they do not default to it. There's still major banks that take your username as http before passing it to a https api which allows all kinds of attack vectors and there's far worse out there if you look. Chrome makes a good attempt at forcing https when possible but there's lots of major websites that still hard default to http. HTTPS Everywhere never hurts to have running and helps on the off chances your being less than careful.

There's several really good security guides out there for setting up your browsers (dump all cookies and history on close for starters) and how to enable advanced features in ad blockers out there is you look around. The bestvpn.com guide comes to mind as a entry level starter.
You seems knowledgeable on these extensions. I'm finding conflicting information on the use of more than one ad/privacy extension.
uBlock origin comes to be most recommended. But one opinion is that it covers everything and no need for Privacy Badger (PB). It's even claimed that you do not need a canvas/fingerprinting extension with uBlock. But another opinion is to use PB and something like Canvas Defender in addition of uBO.

What do you think?

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:03 am

crazygrow wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:27 pm
This is likely an unpopular opinion, but if you arent willing to pay for the content you get free on the internet, all blocking ads does is (1) make it so the ads you do see are not targeted and (2) put content providers out of business. If you are willing to pay, have at it.
I'd agree with that if so many of the ads weren't excessive and intolerable in such that they consume data/bandwidth with videos, photos, trick you into clicking on them, many of them have deceptive outright scamming content, and are just outright intrusive and obnoxious. I go to one video site where you click play or any other control and it is some sort of invisible pop up link and you have to click out of at least 5 popups before the video starts.

I don't mind the non-obtrusive ones that are just there as you scroll through the page.

I use adblock plus but still get a fair number of ads or some sites won't let you browse them without disabling it on their site.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 pm

I have varying success across platforms.

On chrome on my Windows 10 PC, ublock origin works great. I also have an auto play blocker, (can't remember the name) and it's a good comb.

The same set up works fairly well on Chrome on my chromebook, but more stuff gets through.

But with chrome on my Samsung galaxy phone, I have very poor results. This frustrates me to no end!
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:24 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 pm

But with chrome on my Samsung galaxy phone, I have very poor results. This frustrates me to no end!
Chrome Mobile version does not have extension support, so you can't install something like uBlock Origin. Firefox on mobile does have extenion/addon support, so you can install uBlock.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:27 pm

kayanco wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:24 pm
bhsince87 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Chrome Mobile version does not have extension support, so you can't install something like uBlock Origin. Firefox on mobile does have extenion/addon support, so you can install uBlock.
Ahhh, that explains it. Thanks!
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:52 pm

In Chrome I use the Nano Adblocker, which is essentially a new version of uBlock Origin, but with additional features. It works nicely with Nano Defender, which provides an anti-adblocking mechanism to bypass the annoying warnings you see when you visit a page which detects your adblocker. Plus, if you turn on the advanced features in the Nano Adblocker, you get access to dynamic filtering, which is somewhat similar to the safety features in the Firefox addon NoScript, but with a lot less hassle IMO.

Also I have replaced Privacy Badger with Trace.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 pm

bobcat2 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:52 pm
In Chrome I use the Nano Adblocker, which is essentially a new version of uBlock Origin, but with additional features. It works nicely with Nano Defender, which provides an anti-adblocking mechanism to bypass the annoying warnings you see when you visit a page which detects your adblocker. Plus, if you turn on the advanced features in the Nano Adblocker, you get access to dynamic filtering, which is somewhat similar to the safety features in the Firefox addon NoScript, but with a lot less hassle IMO.

Also I have replaced Privacy Badger with Trace.

BobK
When it comes to privacy extensions in addition to uBlock Origin (or Nano Adblocker which is a fork), I hear conflicting opinion where additional extensions like Privacy Badger are needed or not. One opinion is that they are all redundant.

Any insight on this?
Is there a way to test whether Privacy Badger (or any other related extension, like Trace) provides added benefit ?

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:36 pm

kayanco wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 pm
When it comes to privacy extensions in addition to uBlock Origin (or Nano Adblocker which is a fork), I hear conflicting opinion where additional extensions like Privacy Badger are needed or not. One opinion is that they are all redundant.

Any insight on this?
Is there a way to test whether Privacy Badger (or any other related extension, like Trace) provides added benefit ?
I like Trace because it provides some protection against canvas fingerprinting - something an adblocker does not provide.

Here are links to some reviews of Trace. In the first review of Trace below the developer of Trace answers questions in the comments section.
https://www.techsupportalert.com/conten ... online.htm

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/12/trace ... nd-chrome/

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/trace-of ... me-firefox

Plus you can always try extensions such as Trace, Privacy Possum, or ScriptSafe. If you don't like um - get rid of um. These extensions are not focused on blocking ads, but rather preventing tracking, which is related but not the same thing.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:47 pm

bobcat2 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:36 pm
kayanco wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Any insight on this?
I like Trace because it provides some protection against canvas fingerprinting - something an adblocker does not provide.

Here are links to some reviews of Trace. In the first review of Trace below the developer of Trace answers questions in the comments section.
https://www.techsupportalert.com/conten ... online.htm

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/12/trace ... nd-chrome/

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/trace-of ... me-firefox

Plus you can always try extensions such as Trace, Privacy Possum, or ScriptSafe. If you don't like um - get rid of um. These extensions are not focused on blocking ads, but rather preventing tracking, which is related but not the same thing.

BobK
On Google I find some tests for canvas fingerprinting. I tested just uBlock and then uBlock + Trace, but I don't get any different results.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Buy a Raspberry Pi and install Pi-Hole on it and use it as your DNS. You won't need browser extensions anymore and it will work with all software and devices. (note: technical skills required)

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:42 pm

It's strange seeing so many recommendations for Adblock Plus given that they are literally being bribed to allow ads. This is not controversial, they advertise it.
Many people share the view that there are no "good" ads. They don't want to see any ads at all.

The unfortunate truth is that advertising is pretty much the only way to pay for content on the web right now. It's like ads in print newspapers and magazines. Ads and subscription revenue pay for the staff that creates the content, the paper it's printed on, the trucks that deliver it, and so on. There are direct parallels with web content (content creators, servers, data storage and backup, and Internet access). Unlike print media, by far most users don't want to pay (through subscriptions or in other ways) for the web content they now get for free.

But it might surprise you to know that studies have found that a majority of users don't mind seeing ads to support websites and YouTube channels they love, if the ads are unobtrusive and relevant. To that end, AdBlock participates in the Acceptable Ads program. Acceptable Ads defines strict guidelines to identify non-intrusive ads, which AdBlock shows by default.
Notice the trickery involved here:

1. Many people share the view that X.
2. The unfortunate truth is that this doesn't result in money going to our sponsors Y.
3. Some people disagree with X.
4. ???
5. Therefore we take money from Y and show ads to all our users.
6. X is wrong and those people who think that are also wrong!
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Blues

Post by Blues » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:41 pm

On Adblock Plus they have a setting which allows what are considered safe / unobtrusive ads, or to block all ads.

Does their "block all ads" setting only block all the ads they haven't separately pre-configured to be allowed?

I ask because I have no idea but always wondered while using the product.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:54 pm

kayanco wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 am
brad.clarkston wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:49 pm
kayanco wrote:
brad.clarkston wrote:

You seems knowledgeable on these extensions. I'm finding conflicting information on the use of more than one ad/privacy extension.
uBlock origin comes to be most recommended. But one opinion is that it covers everything and no need for Privacy Badger (PB). It's even claimed that you do not need a canvas/fingerprinting extension with uBlock. But another opinion is to use PB and something like Canvas Defender in addition of uBO.

What do you think?
uBlock Origins and Privacy Badger are different types of extensions. uBlockO is a brute force blocker and Privacy Badger is a anti-tracking extension.

If you only use uBlockO in it's default settings I would add the Badger to the mix as by default it's a bit lacking.

If you enable uBlockO's advanced settings and add custom filters then you won't need Badger/fingerprinting/bitcoin filters as it can do all of those.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Blues wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:41 pm
On Adblock Plus they have a setting which allows what are considered safe / unobtrusive ads, or to block all ads.

Does their "block all ads" setting only block all the ads they haven't separately pre-configured to be allowed?

I ask because I have no idea but always wondered while using the product.
Even with 'block all ads' it can allow paid ads to filter through. I've tested that myself.