First Week of January West Coast Travel Options

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dwade1109

First Week of January West Coast Travel Options

Post by dwade1109 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:44 pm

My girlfriend lives on the west coast and I was thinking of surprising her with a trip the first week of January to somewhere a) outside the continental U.S. if possible, b) easily accessible via non-stop flight from LAX, and c) not exorbitantly expensive (ideally flight prices <1k per person). I've done my research and these seem to be all nice places to go that time of year (as an east coaster I am more familiar with Caribbean options!):

-Hawaii (she's never been and weather is generally good, whale-watching off Maui)
-Patagonia (long flight, difficult to get to, on her bucket list)
-China (not on either of our bucket lists but would be an amazing experience)

Southeast Asia (Thailand/Cambodia etc.) seems to break the budget from a flight perspective. Same goes for New Zealand.

I am leaning Hawaii, but anyplace I am missing?

stan1

Re: First Week of January West Coast Travel Options

Post by stan1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:05 pm

I'd go with Hawaii (Big Island, Maui, or Kauai) for one week especially since she hasn't been there before. Tahiti if you wanted something just a little more exotic. One week in an Asian city like Tokyo with easy non-stop flights from LAX would also be fun but very different than Hawaii. You'd have to take warmer clothing for evenings but its not the rainy season.

Elsewhere in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand are better when you have time for a two week trip otherwise you'll spend much of your time in the air and you'll want to visit multiple places.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Hawaii.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:40 pm

I have been to Hawaii many times and can recommend it. Note that January will be high season so air fares and lodging will be at their tops.

Another option might be Costa Rica. It is a fabulous place with monkeys, wild rivers, rain forests, toucans and macaws, and lots of other natural fauna and flora. While it isn't 2 weeks spent sitting on a beach and snorkling, like Hawaii, it is certainly worth doing.

Note that while it is on the Pacific Ocean, the flights tend to go through Houston. There my be non-stops from LAX, but I wouldn't know that.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Another vote for HI although if she had already been I'd say explore resort areas in Mexico. Many places are safe.

If you do go to HI for a week I'd suggest limiting the visit to no more than two islands. I really loved Kauai for it's natural beauty and hiking opportunities. I have never liked Oahu's Waikiki area but there are some good museums and other historical/cultural attractions.

I hope you have fun and that the trip delights your girlfriend!

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:10 am

HAWAII is the obvious and right answer.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:22 am

Snowbunny?
Whistler BC would be the correct choice.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:28 am

If you have only a week, I'd vote for Hawaii. Take into account not only travel time, but also jet lag.

Costa Rica is also doable. It's lovely and safe. We went nonstop LAX-San Jose, Costa Rica a few years ago. Off topic, we happened to introduce our son to a young American teacher on that trip, and they will be married this November.

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:30 am

Cabo San Lucas would be an excellent choice
Act soon... time is running out