WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
NextMil
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by NextMil » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Tellurius wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:24 pm
Just switch to the Financial Times? Probably more expensive, but better quality? I would be interested to hear Bogleheads' thoughts on the two newspapers
If you live in the US and need your news timely then FT is a no go. I also prefer WSJ over FT and who wants to carry a pink, ok salmon, paper? :wink:

misterno
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:55 am

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by misterno » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am

I am trying to read this article

https://www.wsj.com/articles/debate-hea ... 1536620460

And it is not available it needs subscription

So I go to this website

online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/print/WSJ_-A001-20180910.pdf

But I can not find it

Maybe online material is different than physical?

User avatar
Topic Author
TnGuy
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:31 am
Location: Oak Ridge, TN

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by TnGuy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm

I went ahead and did the gaschoolstore @ $198/year. We'll see what happens.

Thank you all for replying. And, thanks to "123" for posting the gaschoolstore info in the thread.


David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

regularguy455
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by regularguy455 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Was paying full freight for digital ($40/mo). Called and asked for a better rate. Instantly granted rate of $14/mo for 6 months. Took 15 minutes.

AnnieK
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:51 am

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by AnnieK » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:39 pm

I have used gaschoolstore and have been very happy with them. The first time it only took a week or two, the second it took six. There was no lapse in service though as they (WSJ) kept delivering on the first subscription for a pretty long time after expiration while they tried to woo me into a full price renewal.

There are very few 'legit' third party sellers according to WSJ and gaschoolstore is one of them.

User avatar
Topic Author
TnGuy
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:31 am
Location: Oak Ridge, TN

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by TnGuy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks, AnnieK. It's good to learn that you have had positive experiences with them.


David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

Tellurius
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by Tellurius » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:20 am

NextMil wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 pm
Tellurius wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:24 pm
Just switch to the Financial Times? Probably more expensive, but better quality? I would be interested to hear Bogleheads' thoughts on the two newspapers
If you live in the US and need your news timely then FT is a no go. I also prefer WSJ over FT and who wants to carry a pink, ok salmon, paper? :wink:
Interesting. Is the delivery of the FT actually slow? Or are you referring to the online experience? Does anyone have experience of this? Surely, they would print somewhere in the American continent for their American customers.

NextMil
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by NextMil » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:31 am

Tellurius wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:20 am
NextMil wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 pm
Tellurius wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:24 pm
Just switch to the Financial Times? Probably more expensive, but better quality? I would be interested to hear Bogleheads' thoughts on the two newspapers
If you live in the US and need your news timely then FT is a no go. I also prefer WSJ over FT and who wants to carry a pink, ok salmon, paper? :wink:
Interesting. Is the delivery of the FT actually slow? Or are you referring to the online experience? Does anyone have experience of this? Surely, they would print somewhere in the American continent for their American customers.
When FT goes to print they are six hours ahead.

rgs92
Posts: 2330
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by rgs92 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Thanks for the digital sub. tip!

User avatar
celia
Posts: 8873
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by celia » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:30 pm

TnGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm
ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:40 am
Why would you go with that option? Further down the thread smectym suggested the following:
I’d go with this (Amazon) deal, I think this is about what we pay. $119 for 1 year (print + digital)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new
The 94% rating of the seller (including 89% in the last 30 days) + only 17 total ratings stopped me in my tracks.

David
David, I also bought WSJ from this seller for my dad for Father's Day but didn't bother to add a rating. I only tend to give ratings when something went terribly wrong or expectionally well. I also tend to rate the product as I get annoyed when I am researching a product before I buy and see comments like "seller shipped quickly" or "good communication with the seller". I vote those comments down as they are not useful to my purchase decision regarding the product.

"Everyone" already knows that the Wall Street Journal is a financial newspaper. If someone subscribed without knowing this, they would likely get the pro-rated unused part of their subscription back, by asking for a refund. So I don't expect an Amazon listing like this to have much feedback. I wasn't even noticing that you could also review the seller because Amazon has always been there for me if I didn't receive .my item. This particular seller also appears to have been selling WSJ on Amazon for about 90 days (when I purchased it) as the number of reviews for 90 days is currently the same as for 1 year.

I understand if you feel skeptical, but to me everything seemed up-and-up. We had no problems at all.

I also once used gaschoolstore because of a recommendation on this forum. No problem with them either, except the price is higher.

dowse
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by dowse » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:18 am

TnGuy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm
I went ahead and did the gaschoolstore @ $198/year. We'll see what happens.

Thank you all for replying. And, thanks to "123" for posting the gaschoolstore info in the thread.


David
Did you select New or Renewal?

QoolQat
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:03 am

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by QoolQat » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:28 am

Just renewed...this worked out to be ligit.

https://www.wsjsale.com

User avatar
Topic Author
TnGuy
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:31 am
Location: Oak Ridge, TN

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by TnGuy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:04 pm

dowse wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:18 am
TnGuy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm
I went ahead and did the gaschoolstore @ $198/year. We'll see what happens.

Thank you all for replying. And, thanks to "123" for posting the gaschoolstore info in the thread.


David
Did you select New or Renewal?
I chose "Renewal".


David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

User avatar
Topic Author
TnGuy
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:31 am
Location: Oak Ridge, TN

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by TnGuy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm

celia wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:30 pm
David, I also bought WSJ from this seller for my dad for Father's Day but didn't bother to add a rating. I only tend to give ratings when something went terribly wrong or expectionally well. I also tend to rate the product as I get annoyed when I am researching a product before I buy and see comments like "seller shipped quickly" or "good communication with the seller". I vote those comments down as they are not useful to my purchase decision regarding the product.

"Everyone" already knows that the Wall Street Journal is a financial newspaper. If someone subscribed without knowing this, they would likely get the pro-rated unused part of their subscription back, by asking for a refund. So I don't expect an Amazon listing like this to have much feedback. I wasn't even noticing that you could also review the seller because Amazon has always been there for me if I didn't receive .my item. This particular seller also appears to have been selling WSJ on Amazon for about 90 days (when I purchased it) as the number of reviews for 90 days is currently the same as for 1 year.

I understand if you feel skeptical, but to me everything seemed up-and-up. We had no problems at all.

I also once used gaschoolstore because of a recommendation on this forum. No problem with them either, except the price is higher.
Thanks, celia. I will certainly try and keep this in mind when my renewal time rolls around again next year (assuming they are still in business then).


David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

User avatar
TimeRunner
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by TimeRunner » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:29 pm

TnGuy wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm
Thanks, celia. I will certainly try and keep this in mind when my renewal time rolls around again next year (assuming they are still in business then). -David
I went the same route as David because I contacted the seller via Amazon mail to ask about vacation holds and got back this response, which gave me enough concern to go the GASCHOOLS route: "HI, The date is no problem for starting. The login will be our own we supply to you. A private unique login thats not actually a working email. We recommend it not be changed or altered. Its just used to login to digital." I might be wrong, but it felt like the seller was just using a NEW promotional subscription and then doing something like changing the address from him to me. IDK, just a feeling.

I am also hoping a RENEWAL of my existing WSJ account goes thru GASCHOOLS process without difficulties. We'll see.
“Some depart to remain.” "A squirrel is just a rat with a cuter outfit." - Carrie Bradshaw

CedarWaxWing
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by CedarWaxWing » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:51 pm

misterno wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:41 am
WSJ has been free for many years

just change the date at the end

online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/print/WSJ_-A001-20171104.pdf
So... a new link for every page, and no way to turn pages on that link? Too much trouble for me.

User avatar
Topic Author
TnGuy
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:31 am
Location: Oak Ridge, TN

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by TnGuy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Update:

My new subscription arrived in just a matter of a few days. And, even though I signed up at gaschoolstore using the "RENEWAL" button I still had to call up the WSJ to cancel my existing account (btw - they don't let you cancel online; it must be done over the phone). So, overall, I've had a good experience w/ gaschoolstore....... and am still getting to enjoy the tactile feeling of having the newspaper in my lap.


David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

User avatar
foosball
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by foosball » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:58 pm

misterno wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:41 am
WSJ has been free for many years

just change the date at the end

online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/print/WSJ_-A001-20171104.pdf
Sadly, these links stopped working a few days ago.

User avatar
TimeRunner
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:58 pm

TnGuy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm
Update:

My new subscription arrived in just a matter of a few days. And, even though I signed up at gaschoolstore using the "RENEWAL" button I still had to call up the WSJ to cancel my existing account (btw - they don't let you cancel online; it must be done over the phone). So, overall, I've had a good experience w/ gaschoolstore....... and am still getting to enjoy the tactile feeling of having the newspaper in my lap.


David
I did the renewal via GASCHOOLSTORE (Great American Schools, for those wondering), and WSJ processed the renewal without comment or notification. I just checked via the Customer Center link (https://customercenter.wsj.com/home ) and it's through 9/19. Happy about this, and glad to have a simple renewal and not dork around with Amazon's somewhat odd "Dow Joness" links. If newspaper home delivery was invented after digital delivery, we'd all be oohing-and-aahing about the ability to read this newfangled paper version without batteries, in varied daylight, at the beach, with huge screen presentation, simply delivered to your driveway each morning, and with digital updates just a screen away. 8-)
“Some depart to remain.” "A squirrel is just a rat with a cuter outfit." - Carrie Bradshaw

Post Reply