Posting spreadsheets?

Discussions about the forum and contents
slalom

Posting spreadsheets?

Post by slalom » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:46 am

I looked in the forum rules and maybe I missed it but I was curious if there was a rule against posting a link to an excel spreadsheet?

I wanted to post in personal finance and get some of the wizards here to double check my math on some things related to financial planning.

triceratop

Re: Posting spreadsheets?

Post by triceratop » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:06 am

There is no rule against this.

I myself have posted spreadsheets before.

Please do take care that you don’t leak your real identity in the process of posting a link. As I recall a google spreadsheet link leaks personal info.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:35 am

Also check Tools and calculators - Bogleheads in case what you want is already available.

siamond

Post by siamond » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:06 am

LOL, I've been a spreadsheet-obsessed Bogleheads for quite a while, I never hesitated to share, I started to maintain a couple of those on behalf of the community, and the mods have still to expel me! :D

OP, this is perfectly fine. This is a number-oriented community. By all means, spreadsheet sharing is not shaming...

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:22 am

triceratop wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:06 am
As I recall a google spreadsheet link leaks personal info.
You're right, although it took me a while to verify this.

I created a test spreadsheet in Google Docs, shared it to "anyone with the link", copied the link, and then signed out of that Google account.

The link itself doesn't contain any personally identifying information, just a string of gobbledygook characters. OK so far...

When I followed the link, the spreadsheet didn't appear to contain any identifying information. There's no "Properties" section as in an Excel spreadsheet. OK so far...

I downloaded a copy to my computer as an Excel spreadsheet and opened it in Excel. The "Properties" section was empty. OK so far...

But I couldn't make any changes ("view only"), even to change the data.

I signed into a second Google account that I own under a slightly different name, and a different avatar. I could now make a copy of the spreadsheet in Google Drive under that account, and modify it by editing the data, etc. But...!!!

The original version of the spreadsheet now appears in lists of recently-opened documents in the second account, along with the name of the owner (the first Google account). The saved copy has "me" (the second Google account) as the owner. So far, I've seen only the original owner's name and avatar. There might be more information (e.g. email address) hidden somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:38 am

Yes, if using google drive, you're going to want to create a 2nd throw-away google account.

Also, you'd share as view-only, which means that anyone wanting to play with the spreadsheet will need to make their own copy (which is easy, but requires that they have a google account).