Unlocked iPhone on eBay or Amazon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mancich

Unlocked iPhone on eBay or Amazon?

Post by mancich » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with buying an unlocked iPhone on eBay (or Amazon)? Specifically, there are many sellers that sell new or refurbished iPhone 6s', which DW and I are considering getting for one of our daughters for Christmas. It is her first phone, and frankly we don't want to get an 8 or X, or even a 7. I use a 6s myself, and find it to be a great phone. The prices are generally $250 - $350. We would use it on the Verizon network by adding her onto our family plan. Any watch-outs I need to consider in buying an unlocked phone? Is this generally a more frugal option vs. getting it through Verizon (assuming they still offer the 6s)?

Thanks everyone. :beer

AerialWombat

Re: Unlocked iPhone on eBay or Amazon?

Post by AerialWombat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:17 pm

I generally try to stay 3-4 years behind on tech, and so this is what I do. Have purchased last two iPhones (5S and now a 6S) from Amazon.

My suggestions:

1). Make sure you understand which reseller/vendor you're buying the actual unit from. Research that specific reseller.

2). Search through reviews, and match up reviews to specific reseller.

3). Be aware of update or specific app compatabilities. If you know that your small human is going to demand XYZ app, make sure it's compatible with the device version you're buying. For example, a specific language app that I love that is no longer being updated will not run on the latest iOS release, and thus I'm unable to upgrade, despite the promptings of my 6S.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Good points, thank you

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:28 pm

I went through this a few months ago with getting an iPhone for my wife since she was getting new hearing aids that worked better with an iPhone than her current Android phone. I ended up buying a new iPhone 6s after looking at used. The reasons were;
1) A lot of used iPhones have problems, I would not buy a used phone online that you cannot see before you buy it.
2) The iPhone battery is not user replaceable and there has been an ongoing soap opera about iPhone Batteries. If you buy a three year old iPhone the battery may be near the end of life.
3) The credit card I bought it with will double the warranty, but only on new items.

You did not say the age of your daughter but for a first phone there I would really consider an inexpensive android phone that will not be a big deal if it is lost or damaged.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Buy it with a credit card with purchase protection from a reputable seller and no worries. In particular, sellers with 100% positive feedback will bend over backwards to keep that rating if something is wrong.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Watty wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:28 pm
I went through this a few months ago with getting an iPhone for my wife since she was getting new hearing aids that worked better with an iPhone than her current Android phone. I ended up buying a new iPhone 6s after looking at used. The reasons were;
1) A lot of used iPhones have problems, I would not buy a used phone online that you cannot see before you buy it.
2) The iPhone battery is not user replaceable and there has been an ongoing soap opera about iPhone Batteries. If you buy a three year old iPhone the battery may be near the end of life.
3) The credit card I bought it with will double the warranty, but only on new items.

You did not say the age of your daughter but for a first phone there I would really consider an inexpensive android phone that will not be a big deal if it is lost or damaged.
These are good points, I had not thought of the potential battery issue. Our daughter is 11. I am considering an Android as well, for the reason you state. Only downside is that DW and I, and older daughter, are all iPhone, and really like the iMessaging, but that won't be the determining factor. Thanks!

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Make sure you check the return policy on ebay. Most ebay sellers don't allow returns (unless it's broken) so if you think you might change your mind, go with amazon.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:50 pm

TIAX wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:48 pm
Make sure you check the return policy on ebay. Most ebay sellers don't allow returns (unless it's broken) so if you think you might change your mind, go with amazon.
Good point as well thank you

madmartigan

Post by madmartigan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm

I highly recommend Swappa, a website I have used many times for buying and selling my phone's. The site does a great job of vetting phones and helps quantity condition levels.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:38 pm

I bought several 5s for my kids from amazon and they all worked out ok. Again just research who the actual seller is and what the return policy is. I would steer clear of ebay due to the scams and what not.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:37 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:38 pm
I bought several 5s for my kids from amazon and they all worked out ok. Again just research who the actual seller is and what the return policy is. I would steer clear of ebay due to the scams and what not.
As long as you pay using paypal, I wouldn't worry about scams.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:40 pm

mancich wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with buying an unlocked iPhone on eBay (or Amazon)? Specifically, there are many sellers that sell new or refurbished iPhone 6s', which DW and I are considering getting for one of our daughters for Christmas. It is her first phone, and frankly we don't want to get an 8 or X, or even a 7. I use a 6s myself, and find it to be a great phone. The prices are generally $250 - $350. We would use it on the Verizon network by adding her onto our family plan. Any watch-outs I need to consider in buying an unlocked phone? Is this generally a more frugal option vs. getting it through Verizon (assuming they still offer the 6s)?

Thanks everyone. :beer
You may went to check this thread or PM the OP of this thread viewtopic.php?t=222913

If you are shopping new phones for Verizon in my experience Best Buy has very good deals. Amazon (acting as a seller) has some good deals on Moto's.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

psmoove

Post by psmoove » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:39 pm

I just went through this same exact scenario with my son, who is 11 and just started middle school. I found a used iPhone SE in very good condition from a reseller who has lots of transactions. The phone arrived in 3 days and was flawless, with very minimal signs of wear. The battery was also at 100% health. This was my second go around - the previous week I had a not so good experience with an individual seller who misrepresented the listing. That seller eventually agreed to accept the return after some back and forth. The good thing is that eBay has a buyer guarantee so I would have been protected. Lesson learned- buy from a reputable seller with lots of previous positively rated transactions.

jsilver

Post by jsilver » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:24 pm

I just purchased a "seller refurbished" iPhone 6 on ebay last week for my son (9th grader). I paid $135 and the phone looks and behaves like brand new. I didn't have any problems activating it. The seller has a lot of phones. PM me and I'll forward you the seller.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Gazelle is another option

https://www.gazelle.com/

jeffh19

Post by jeffh19 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Dont buy/sell phones on eBay. Tons and tons of people get scammed on phones...

I've used Swappa in the past with pretty good luck, but lately I've only bought phones new straight from Apple the last few years

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:35 pm

You can buy a new iPhone 6S from Cricket for $299. https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-ph ... -gray.html

Will work on ATT as well without unlocking or anything.

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:24 am

I've had excellent experiences buying three different used unlocked iPhones on Amazon. All three were in better condition than described.

Others have covered how to screen sellers.

Last Christmas I attempted a refurbished iPhone from Target.com, and although it was described as "like new" it looked like it had been dragged through the sixth flaming pit of Hell before it was shipped.

At least it was an easy return at my local store.

mancich

Post by mancich » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:58 am

Thanks everyone, good ideas and advice!

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:03 am

Buy from a seller with excellent feedback through PayPal on eBay and you will be fine. Those sellers are so worried about negative feedback they will bend over backwards to make things right if something is not as described.

As soon as you get the phone spend an hour or so going through features and make sure everything (camera, sound, speakerphone, etc) works.

I bought an iPhone SE on eBay and saved a fortune.

Make sure to buy it this calendar year and immediately replace the battery through Apple at the discounted price (you may be able to save extra money is the seller is upfront about battery condition knowing that you will be replacing it anyways). Apple messed up my display when changing the battery so I got a brand new one of those too, bonus!

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:14 am

madmartigan wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm
I highly recommend Swappa, a website I have used many times for buying and selling my phone's. The site does a great job of vetting phones and helps quantity condition levels.
I used to be a fan, but my last interaction was a disappointment. Ran into a bad seller, and the company intervention was limited and at times detrimental. I no longer recommend them and consider them in the same situation as eBay or craigslist. Buyer beware. I think I'll be trying craigslist next time since it's the only one that allows an in person inspection (just be sure to use a safe public meeting place for both your protection).

Apple refurbished costs a bit more, but they'll replace the case and battery. A few devices I bought from them that way have been indistinguishable from new (aside from packaging).

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:38 am

I would get a new 8 for yourself and gift your daughter the 6s. The 6s only has so much life remaining in it. The 8 will likely receive a $100 discount next month when the next iPhone comes out. This guarantees the 6s will work perfectly for your daughter with zero hassles.

I also look at in this way. You want to buy a 3 year old phone for $300. You can also spend $300 more for new. In 3 years time, the 6s will be like a 5 today and be very slow to use. You may say tough to your daughter. At least she has an iPhone. However, if you didn't buy an 8, you'd have a slow 6s as well. Would you buy a three year old phone for $300? If yes, why not buy the 8 now and let Verizon finance it for you at 0%?

mancich

Post by mancich » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:38 am
I would get a new 8 for yourself and gift your daughter the 6s. The 6s only has so much life remaining in it. The 8 will likely receive a $100 discount next month when the next iPhone comes out. This guarantees the 6s will work perfectly for your daughter with zero hassles.

I also look at in this way. You want to buy a 3 year old phone for $300. You can also spend $300 more for new. In 3 years time, the 6s will be like a 5 today and be very slow to use. You may say tough to your daughter. At least she has an iPhone. However, if you didn't buy an 8, you'd have a slow 6s as well. Would you buy a three year old phone for $300? If yes, why not buy the 8 now and let Verizon finance it for you at 0%?
Another good idea, thanks!