Cleaning gas grill

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dodgy55

Cleaning gas grill

Post by dodgy55 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 am

Recently purchased a Weber gas grill (3 burner) and would like to keep it looking decent as best I can. Scanned through the archives to see if there was a discussion about ways to clean a gas grill other than wire brush & stone brush. My quick review of archives did not find any unique tips on cleaning. Would like to hear from serious grill users what they do to keep their grill clean and in tip-top shape.
Fond memories are the best investment

shariq1989

Re: Cleaning gas grill

Post by shariq1989 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:52 am

I use a wooden scrapper I got at Costco to clean the grates after the grill has heated up. Once every two years I will take the grill apart entirely and clean out grease using degreaser and steel wool. Grills don't take a whole lot of maintenance in my opinion. The most important thing has been covering it after use so that it does not rust due to rain or snow.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:08 am

Simple wire brush after each use; and leave grill burning MAX to eliminate (sort of) any remaining grease.

Once or twice each year, I would perform a thorough cleaning, and return grill to "like new" performance.

After a while, I got sick of all this nonsense and now live a "grill free" life. Don't miss the grill at all. Much better things to do.

My friends invite me over, and I eat food prepared on their grill.
Funding secured

dodgy55

Post by dodgy55 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:13 am

shariq1989 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:52 am
I use a wooden scrapper I got at Costco to clean the grates after the grill has heated up. Once every two years I will take the grill apart entirely and clean out grease using degreaser and steel wool. Grills don't take a whole lot of maintenance in my opinion. The most important thing has been covering it after use so that it does not rust due to rain or snow.
Curious as to what type of degreaser you use? I assume it is made for kitchen use.
Fond memories are the best investment

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am

Be warned of the dangers of using a wire brush:
https://www.consumerreports.org/food-sa ... sh-danger/

dowse

Post by dowse » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:33 am

See this:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=222527

For those who say it is not necessary to clean after every use, that does not apply in bear country!

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:38 am

We do a lot of grilling now with a cast iron skillet right on the grill. Cuts way down on cleaning, and steaks and burgers come out great.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:44 am

Nate79 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am
I have to tell you, when my wife started looking for a non-metallic grill brush, I poo-pooed her concerns. I am shocked at the number (even as low as they are) of injuries caused by wire grill brushes. I have never heard of anyone suffering such a mishap. And, in the South we do a lot of grilling.

Still, an accident is pretty unlikely; but if you are the harmed one it is no consolation that so few people experienced such an injury.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:56 am

I have no idea if I am doing things correctly.

When my grates get nasty beyond what burning off the food and scraping will handle I sometimes pull them off and toss them in the dishwasher along with any additional small parts like drip pans that will fit into the dishwasher.

When the rest of the grill gets nasty I will sometimes drag it out into the yard and give it a good scrubbing with the pressure washer.

If the outside shelves and surfaces get grease spatters and dirt I usually just give it a good spray with 409 and wipe it down with a rag.

Generally speaking I don't sweat it though and don't try to keep it looking spotless. I always turn it on and crank it up to high for 15-20 minutes before use to sterilize the cooking surfaces.

I have never heard about the wire brush issue before. Not going to stop using my grill brushes but I will start paying more attention. I always wipe down the grates with an oiled paper towel before grilling anyway so that should take up any stray wires that I miss.

goingup

Post by goingup » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:10 pm

The grates are pretty easy to clean when hot with either a wire brush or wood paddle. I line the drip pan with heavy duty foil and change that out as needed (when it's disgusting).

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:22 pm

I use a wooden scraper, but have never had an issue with wire brushes. Just inspect before you put food on.

Twice a year I scrape all the innards of my Weber (except grates) with a putty knife.

It gets heavy use all year round and this keeps it functioning well.

Good luck,

JT

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:32 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:56 am
I always wipe down the grates with an oiled paper towel before grilling anyway so that should take up any stray wires that I miss.
That's also our practice. Seems to work well.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:38 pm

I have started using the BBQ mats. They work great and can simply be rinsed off. The grill itself stays very clean. Only downside is greasy things burn the heck out of your arms or stain clothes... like a frying pan!

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:49 pm

Pre-heat and burn-off after. Long-handled brass-wire brush after the pre-heat, right before you put the food on. That's it for decades, assuming your grill gets hot enough to burn off the grease and debris. (For example, this will not work with smokers like Traeger that do not get that hot). Use a good-quality brass-bristle brush since there have been injuries reported from ingesting shed brass wires from the super-cheap brushes. This is not medical advice.

In a Weber, the aluminum drip pan is shallow and retains a lot of grease --especially from beef. It's removable on mine but I never take it out or clean it. Once every few years, if I'm grilling some stuff with a super-thick commercial marinade (local German butcher shop), the drip pan will catch fire. Doesn't hurt the grill but looks a bit like a tire fire until it burns off.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:16 pm

I use a metal paint scraper (primarily) and a chisel. DW recently gave me a wooden scraper, but so far I still prefer the paint scraper.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:21 pm

I use copper mats. Put two on top of the grill racks, grill everything like usual then wash off the mats afterward. Nothing falls on the grill racks so no cleaning of the racks is needed.

TravelforFun

grok87

Post by grok87 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:25 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:21 pm
I use copper mats. Put two on top of the grill racks, grill everything like usual then wash off the mats afterward. Nothing falls on the grill racks so no cleaning of the racks is needed.

TravelforFun
i recently tried the copper mats on a grill without a cover. i put one mat on the grill and one on top of the food, sandwiching the things being cooked between the two mats as it were. it worked well.
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 pm

For the grates, I've found that Weber grill grate cleaner works well when used with a wire brush. I called Weber and they said it could be used on the stainless steel flavorizer bars. I use a plastic tub so that the grease and debris is confined to the tub.

dccboone

Post by dccboone » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:56 pm

You might want to try a bunched-up wad of aluminum foil. It works great. I just scrub the grates with the foil and it takes off most everything. No need to remove the grates or anything else. And if you're like us and sometimes save foil that may have previously been used to cover a dish, it's also a way to make use of those saved pieces of foil.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:32 am

I pull the grates, and burner covers out, soak them and run through the dishwasher a couple of times. Hand clean the insides and replace the grease trap once a year. I wipe down the outsides and have the Weber cover.

Been debating getting a pressure washer for the outsides and some other home issues.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:33 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:44 am
Nate79 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am
I have to tell you, when my wife started looking for a non-metallic grill brush, I poo-pooed her concerns. I am shocked at the number (even as low as they are) of injuries caused by wire grill brushes. I have never heard of anyone suffering such a mishap. And, in the South we do a lot of grilling.

Still, an accident is pretty unlikely; but if you are the harmed one it is no consolation that so few people experienced such an injury.

Broken Man 1999
A coworker of mine ended up in a hospital getting emergency surgery due to a lodged metal grill bristle although it was from eating out at a restaurant not a back yard cookout. That said, I still use a metal grill brush but just closely inspect my grill after use.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:34 am

Your original post made me think you're concerned about how it looks and not just how to clean the grate.

I also have a gas (natural gas) weber. Main thing I do is once or twice a season is to start with a plastic paint scraper and scrape the grease off of the flavorizer bars. Then take them out and scrape the bottom area into the pan. I then use a good degreasing dishwashing detergent to clean the flavorizer bars and take the bottom out and do the same as well as with the grates.

On the outside, I give it a good once-over with something like simple green, then follow up with a stainless steel cleaner/spray.

Finally, Weber makes custom covers for all of their grills. After grilling, I leave the lid open and in about 20 minutes it's cooled down enough to close the lid and put the cover back on...

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:17 am

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 am

shariq1989 wrote:
In most cases, covering your grill is bad advice. It speeds up condensation and rust issues, rather than prevent them.

On Year 6 of my Weber being outside, uncovered in New England weather. No rust issues to speak of

iceport

Post by iceport » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 am

daveydoo wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:49 pm
Pre-heat and burn-off after. Long-handled brass-wire brush after the pre-heat, right before you put the food on. That's it for decades, assuming your grill gets hot enough to burn off the grease and debris.
Same here. When the grill is still hot after the last of the food comes off, I crank up the burners and heat to at least 450 - 500 F. This usually carbonizes whatever is left on the grill, and it brushes off easily when warm the next time.

Then again, nothing I cook has very much grease, so nothing but the stainless steel grill under the food gets greasy.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:21 am

shariq1989 wrote:
The most important thing has been covering it after use so that it does not rust due to rain or snow.
I think Webers are generally stainless steel and not prone to rust. I have never covered mine in the northeast. In fact, I have been told not to cover them due to moisture buildup.

Edit - just saw similar post a few above mine...

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Have not read all posts in this thread so this might have been mentioned....

Every time I grill I take the grates that I used and soak them in hot water in the deep sink in the basement for 5 minutes. Then I clean all the gunk off with a Brillo pad. Rinse. Dry.
Friar1610

rg422

Post by rg422 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:27 pm

Definitely brush the grates right after grilling while it's still hot. Buildup is much easier to remove.

shariq1989

Post by shariq1989 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:16 am

Here is the kind of wood scrapper I use and it has been great!

https://www.amazon.com/Woody-Nub-Grill- ... B077V76FQP

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:18 pm

If you get a brush, make sure it's the kind with the bristles wrapped within a thick twisted wire in the middle. DO NOT get a wooden or plastic brush. Those little bristles will come out and end up in your next burger or steak. These days I just use a nice stiff metal spatula to scrape the extra crust off the grates whenever necessary.

About once a year I'll have a big grill fire, that tells me "whoa, it's time to clean the grill!" (j/k - it's already overdue! :wink: ) I pull the grates and scrape all the crap underneath into the square hole at the bottom and make sure to have a sturdy bag underneath.

At the same time I take a wire brush and go over all the burners. They are 'stainless' but nonetheless develop a thin crust that blocks some of the gas holes. Every few years I must replace the igniter - you can rest assured that the model that came with your grill will no longer be available, just buy something that looks close and make it fit. Should work!

That's about it. I've given up trying to keep my grill clean beyond that. I also have a 3-burner Weber and the grates still look like new (ceramic coated cast iron.)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:47 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 am
shariq1989 wrote:
In most cases, covering your grill is bad advice. It speeds up condensation and rust issues, rather than prevent them.

On Year 6 of my Weber being outside, uncovered in New England weather. No rust issues to speak of
Indeed. I'm retiring my Weber Genesis after 15 years of being uncovered. The only rust on it is inside, the outside is pristine.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:08 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 am
shariq1989 wrote:

Year 4 with my Weber being outside, in Central TX weather, with the cover on every night. No rust issues. I never put the cover on, however, if things are the least bit damp, which only happens if I forget to put the cover on and the dew settles on it overnight. Then I let it dry in the sun first. In TX that doesn't take long. YMMV.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:55 pm

I've never covered my weber grill, I just leave it outside - rain or shine.

usnaron

Post by usnaron » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:06 pm

I like using a metal scraper and not a wire brush. Eventually those tiny wire pieces can fall off and get in food. There are quite a few cases each year of people requiring surgery due to those metal bristles getting stuck in esophagus or intestine walls.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:52 am

Wow, I am shocked at how many people in challenging environments leave their weber coverless. I am also sad that I paid for a cover now. I hate putting that thing on, so this is welcome news that genesis is about to go topless.

Summer

Post by Summer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:32 am

I usally clean my Weber Grill by scraping all the easy “gunk” at the bottom/sides with a metal spatula-
then I get the grill super hot, lift the grill hood and using my garden hose nozzle atachment set on mist- spray some water inside and shut the cover- doing that a couple times-

I find the grease build up- comes up easy after the grills cools down with a metal spatula- just remember to wear long oven mitts so you don’t burn your self from the steam.

No chemicals needed- just steam-

And - after every use I like to crank up the heat for 5 min to burn off anything on the metal grates, then scrape the grates with a wire brush- so it ready for the next day - it’s always covered when not in use.

Summer-
Last edited by Summer on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:46 am

NextMil wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:52 am
Wow, I am shocked at how many people in challenging environments leave their weber coverless. I am also sad that I paid for a cover now. I hate putting that thing on, so this is welcome news that genesis is about to go topless.
One reason I ended up using a cover was after reading some other forums in which people had rain get into their grill and overflow the grease pan creating a huge mess. I'm sure Weber does a great job keeping rain out without a cover and I'm sure that everybody keeps the interior of their grills spotless and they change out the pan after each use, so it's not really an issue. :P

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:23 am

I scrape grill with nylon brush and the pan with Dawn and water. Wipe clean with paper towels.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:51 am

dcabler wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:46 am
One reason I ended up using a cover was after reading some other forums in which people had rain get into their grill and overflow the grease pan creating a huge mess. I'm sure Weber does a great job keeping rain out without a cover and I'm sure that everybody keeps the interior of their grills spotless and they change out the pan after each use, so it's not really an issue. :P
I clean the interior of my grill every 4 years whether it needs it or not :P. I have not had the overflowing grease pan issue. I have had the grease pan fire issue from letting the pan go too long without replacement. That does create a mess, because it burns a hole in the foil pan liner and the grease that doesn't burn gets into the pan itself.

I know your post was facetious, but it seems that one part of it is accurate is that at least for my Genesis, it mostly does keep the rain out. mine is under the soffit so it's not 100% in the elements, but still gets plenty of rain on it every time we have a storm, and collects a substantial pile of snow in the winter.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Crumpled aluminum foil held with tongs can be used as a safe way to clean the grill. Also, some cleaning brushes are bristleless, having a spiral steel cleaning head.

http://old.cbbqa.org/equipment/Grillwizardbrush.html
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.