Getting antsy with indexing? Reporter doing story.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Mel Lindauer

Getting antsy with indexing? Reporter doing story.

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi Everyone:

A reporter for a well-known publication is looking to talk to investors who are getting antsy with passive investing, and who may have even pulled out of ETFs these past six months.

He wants to know why you are concerned and where you are investing now.

If you fit that profile and would like to be interviewed for the story, PM me with your real name and contact info (phone and email) and I'll pass it along to the reporter.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

PFInterest

Re: Getting antsy with indexing? Reporter doing story.

Post by PFInterest » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:40 am

Good to know bogleheads would be supporting the financial.....fluff....

VaR

Post by VaR » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:48 pm

I'm fascinated with the idea that people actually getting antsy with indexing. Can't wait to read the article.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Sorry, I can't qualify for this article.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:01 pm

VaR wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:48 pm
I'm fascinated with the idea that people actually getting antsy with indexing. Can't wait to read the article.
Indexing is fine Cap weighting aftera 9 year bull market is scary. Full disclosure::: I am uncertain that is the reason why they are antsy .It is however why I am.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:25 pm

sometimesinvestor wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:01 pm
VaR wrote:
Indexing is fine Cap weighting aftera 9 year bull market is scary.

Were these people any less "antsy" after a one year bull market? Seems like the antsy crowd are always antsy.....
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 pm
Hi Everyone:

A reporter for a well-known publication is looking to talk to investors who are getting antsy with passive investing, and who may have even pulled out of ETFs these past six months.

He wants to know why you are concerned and where you are investing now.

If you fit that profile and would like to be interviewed for the story, PM me with your real name and contact info (phone and email) and I'll pass it along to the reporter.
Maybe the reporter should loiter at the furniture or kitchen appliance shop looking for customers who 'cashed out and are now upgrading their kitchen or sofa".

venkman

Post by venkman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm

There's "passive investing,' and then there's "active investing using index ETF's."

It almost sounds like the reporter is looking to interview people who do the latter, for a story about the former.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:39 pm

venkman wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm
There's "passive investing,' and then there's "active investing using index ETF's."

It almost sounds like the reporter is looking to interview people who do the latter, for a story about the former.
I agree. I'm a trend follower but use index funds whenever possible due to their lower cost, so you could put me in the second camp. I can't see why anyone would "get antsy about index funds" unless they suddenly don't like market cap-weighting (which I'm actually not a big fan of, but I like low cost).
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:59 am

They are probably getting antsy due to the increasing popularity of indexing and articles like this
https://www.morningstar.com/videos/8366 ... o-big.html

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 am

sometimesinvestor wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:01 pm
VaR wrote:
Indexing is fine Cap weighting aftera 9 year bull market is scary. Full disclosure::: I am uncertain that is the reason why they are antsy .It is however why I am.
Seems to me that getting antsy about Cap weighting amounts to getting relatively optimistic about something else. Value stocks perhaps?

Or it could mean getting antsy about stocks in general, the TSM, fleeing to cash = short bonds perhaps = something that has recently been providing guaranteed smallish losses after inflation and taxes.

Isn't that the logical consequence?