Bumper Repair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sport

Bumper Repair

Post by sport » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:54 pm

My Camry suffered a misfortune and ended up with a "pushed in" corner of the rear bumper. It really looked bad. I was thinking that it would cost several hundreds of dollars to repair. Before I took It to the body shop, I had it in to my independent mechanic for service. He gave me the name of a body shop that could fix this inexpensively. I went there today.

The repairman heated the bumper with a hot air heat gun and pushed on the sides of the dented area until it popped out. It took him about 15 minutes. After it cooled, he touched up the scratches. While not perfect, I would say it is 99% of new appearance. He charged me $30 for his work.

So, I am posting this as a public service. You do not have to spend a lot to take a big dent out of a plastic bumper.

dwickenh

Re: Bumper Repair

Post by dwickenh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 pm

We used to put bumpers into hot tanks of water overnight to relieve more severe buckles,
But a heat gun works on many areas of plastic bumpers. The shop did a great service and is likely
A very honest business.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Chip

Post by Chip » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:55 am

Thanks for that info. I had a similar bash on our old Camry and just pushed it out from the inside with a piece of wood. While the result was acceptable it would have been much better if I had used the heat gun.

Nicely done. :beer

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:12 am

You want to be very careful with the heat. If you use a simple hair dryer, it's far safer. Heat can also be used in metal paintless dent removal.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:55 am

Same here with us. Our Camry's rear (plastic) bumper got pushed in by a fence post. So I went to U-tube and learned that repair. It took me only 5 minutes using my wife's hair dryer, piece of wood and my fingers. Then I used polishing compound to remove scratches and a left-over silver paint for touch-up and it was 97 % perfect. I felt great to have avoided a body shop. Cost was less than $10 for that polishing compound.

For any dents I would first try it myself. On a 1971 Plymouth Duster a truck dented the left front fender. That fender was steel, but I surprisingly could dent it back out with my hand.
Last edited by likegarden on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:01 am

DD bumped into a post also, putting a dent in the bumper on her Accord. I guess I will will do some father's day heroics and show how smart dad is again!! (with a little help, of course) ;) Thanks for the tip.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:12 am

Could've saved yourself another $30. I used a blow dryer and a piece of wood and popped it out myself. You can still see it. But I'd have to point it out to you, otherwise, you wouldn't notice it was there. Also, did you know the Camry dent is a thing?
https://jalopnik.com/the-incredible-mys ... 1785413530

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 am

I thought Camrys came that way. Not sure if I've seen one without a mashed in bumper corner.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:05 am

If have also heard of people pouring hot water over a dent to get it to pop out

ams-texas

Post by ams-texas » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:21 am

I did this a few years ago on my daughter's car, pushing out the dent with a baseball bat without any heat. Heat would have made it easier.