Non-alcoholic drinks for wedding

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Loik098

Re: Non-alcoholic drinks for wedding

Post by Loik098 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:15 pm

We had a dry wedding. We did peach bellinis, and spent the money we would have spent on alcohol on offering better food instead. The bellinis were a big hit.

If you can offer a drink people don't have very often or have never had, they may forget that they "need" alcohol at your event for a little while.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm

audioaxes wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:24 pm
OnTrack2020 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:08 pm
sailaway wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:06 pm

People who can't handle a dry wedding have bigger issues than can be addressed by the bride and groom.

This.
its not about people not being able to handle a dry wedding, but the simple fact that many people become more happy/loose/festive with a little spirit in them which can give an infectious energy boost to a party that even those not drinking can feed off of.
You need more interesting friends.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:52 pm

sailaway wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm
audioaxes wrote:
OnTrack2020 wrote:
sailaway wrote:

People who can't handle a dry wedding have bigger issues than can be addressed by the bride and groom.

This.
its not about people not being able to handle a dry wedding, but the simple fact that many people become more happy/loose/festive with a little spirit in them which can give an infectious energy boost to a party that even those not drinking can feed off of.
You need more interesting friends.
I have to agree. There might be some people who become more interesting after a drink, but so often people don’t restrict themselves to a drink, and there are very few people who are more interesting, to a sober person, after 3 or more drinks.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:56 pm

Loik098 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:15 pm
We had a dry wedding. We did peach bellinis, and spent the money we would have spent on alcohol on offering better food instead. The bellinis were a big hit.
:?: A peach bellini is made with sparkling wine, traditionally Prosecco.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:58 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:56 pm
Loik098 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:15 pm
:?: A peach bellini is made with sparkling wine, traditionally Prosecco.
You can make them non-alcoholic. Google, "baby bellini."

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:05 pm

I no longer drink alcohol, but the rest of my family does. I would appreciate unsweetened iced tea and seltzer. All of the sweet, gloppy drinks are kind of disgusting to me. If you aren't going to spend money on alcohol, I wouldn't waste it on "mocktails" and the like. I would just serve a couple of normal sodas, iced tea and maybe a nice sparkling water like Pellegrino. The whole thing is just going to be weird to the drinkers.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:12 pm

I would consider it almost a social faux pas to not offer alcohol at a wedding. Not everyone enjoys weddings and some might consider it cheap not to offer anything not to mention they'd be bored to tears. It is a social lubricant and makes the event flow better. Obviously if you have drunk uncle Leo you can't have an open bar or the bartender has to be warned.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 pm

If the heavy drinkers on the guest list are aware of the fact that the wedding is dry beforehand, they will bring their own flasks or keep coolers of beer in their cars for "relief". So don't worry about accommodating them. I can speak from personal experience.

I'll add that many of the non-drinkers I know are pretty health conscious and would probably rather drink straight vodka before they'd drink some sugary, thick, high calorie mocktail. So I'd include basic unsweetened teas/coffee in the selections.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 pm

We went to a wedding for our niece recently and while it was not a dry occasion, they had several infused water choices - cucumber / mint and strawberry / blueberry. Another option is aqua frescas as also mentioned above. And sparkling water - perrier, pelligrino, etc.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Is this an afternoon or evening reception? What food are you serving?

I'd be sure to have coffee, tea (iced), and sparking/flavored water. Probably don't need to go much beyond that if it's dry anyway.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Iced tea. The only people I know who drink mocktails are my kids when we are at a resort. Too sugary.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:12 pm
I would consider it almost a social faux pas to not offer alcohol at a wedding.
Oh, I think that's ridiculous. The expectations people have built up about these affairs is kind of silly. That's why people spend 20k and up on a wedding and reception.

One of the finest events I went to was one where the bride, her mother, and grandmother prepared all the food. No alcohol. Out in the backyard of the family home. It was a great time and really good eating.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

celia

Post by celia » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:51 pm

I love the ideas above about the ice cream bar and floats. Sundaes would be less of a mess, though, where the ice cream is scooped for them but they put their own toppings on top. You could have 4 to 8 ice cream flavors (posted) and that many for drinks, too. But I think this should be served up by a "bartender" to avoid the inevitable spills and people getting it on themselves while making it. If you do this also have one sugar-free ice cream and drink since many older people are diabetic (whether they watch what they consume or not).

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:12 pm
I would consider it almost a social faux pas to not offer alcohol at a wedding.
Oh, I think that's ridiculous. The expectations people have built up about these affairs is kind of silly. That's why people spend 20k and up on a wedding and reception.

One of the finest events I went to was one where the bride, her mother, and grandmother prepared all the food. No alcohol. Out in the backyard of the family home. It was a great time and really good eating.
I bet you didn't dance very well though. :P I'm just offering my opinion. In my family and friends, a dry wedding would be unheard of. I want my guests to be comfortable at my wedding and rewarded for showing up with a good time. The OP said they don't want to pay for security or a bartender and that most of their guests don't drink. I don't think that is very accommodating as a host to the ones that do even if it's just cheap but good white wine. Even a small keg of beer is not that much if it's about the money.

J295

Post by J295 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:56 pm

We have hosted weddings with alcohol.

OP didn’t ask if he/she should have a dry reception yet some decided it was ok to be critical of their decision. I believe doing so is rude.

To OP .... I can’t add to the non-alcoholic suggestions already posted but can send along congratulations and best wishes. Ignore the naysayers.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:26 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 am
If you're going to serve soda (what in the world is pop?! :) ),
Where I grew up - we did not have a clue what "soda" was - until I went to college. Bottled or canned soft drinks were "pop". it is a regional thing :)
Midwest?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 am

daheld wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am
If you're going to serve soda (what in the world is pop?! :) )
Pop is tonic :-)

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:48 am

For various reasons (people taking multiple meds not compatible with alcohol, people in recovery) some people made their entertaining and events chem free (no smoking, alcohol or recreational drugs) a long time ago. We all survived.

If you go the soda/pop route, please provide water, fizzy water (seltzer, club soda, whatever it's called where you are), iced tea with sugar/not-sugar on the side, anything that isn't sweet or fake sweet, especially with food. Fruit juice by itself can be too sweet, but half-and-half with fizzy water is fine and looks good in a champagne flute for toasts.

People have already mentioned mocktails and a search on "mocktails" at nytimes.com might turn up few that could work for you.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:29 am

daheld wrote:
If you're going to serve soda (what in the world is pop?! :) ), I recommend seeing if there are any craft soda makers in your area. Lots of microbreweries also make soda, and it's relatively easy to buy a keg of craft soda--fruit sodas, root beer, etc.

You can also rent "slushee" type machines you see at 7-11 or wherever. Just ask your caterer.
Since you are unfamiliar with the regional use of "pop", I think you might find this map of interest. :D

I was similarly confused the first time I was asked if i wanted a "coke" and then told "we have Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Ginger Ale" :confused

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:37 am

Check our this webpage for some possibilities.

Mr400meterdash

Post by Mr400meterdash » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 am

MP123 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 pm
Is this an afternoon or evening reception? What food are you serving?

I'd be sure to have coffee, tea (iced), and sparking/flavored water. Probably don't need to go much beyond that if it's dry anyway.
It is an afternoon wedding. We are serving 2 types of meat, fresh fruit salad, rolls, 2 or 3 kinds of pasta salads, and I feel like there is something else that I can not remember off the top of my head

daheld

Post by daheld » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:59 am

cherijoh wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:29 am
daheld wrote:
If you're going to serve soda (what in the world is pop?! :) ), I recommend seeing if there are any craft soda makers in your area. Lots of microbreweries also make soda, and it's relatively easy to buy a keg of craft soda--fruit sodas, root beer, etc.

You can also rent "slushee" type machines you see at 7-11 or wherever. Just ask your caterer.
Since you are unfamiliar with the regional use of "pop", I think you might find this map of interest. :D

I was similarly confused the first time I was asked if i wanted a "coke" and then told "we have Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Ginger Ale" :confused
This was a joke. I've heard "pop" used before. My wife is from Michigan and exclusively says "pop". 'Twas a joke.

cnblure

Post by cnblure » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 am

Bubble tea and horchata are tasty/fun options.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:32 am

audioaxes wrote:
OnTrack2020 wrote:
sailaway wrote:

This.
Agreed, every dry wedding I've attended has been tame by comparison and the crowds generally leave much earlier.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:38 am

I've been to weddings with and without alcohol either can be good/bad regardless of the presence of alcohol. We had a cash bar at our reception as it was at a restaurant which could provide the service for free (to us) and because about half our family (hers and mine) don't really drink; everyone seemed to have a good time and those that wanted to imbibe could do so (us included :D).

That said, I'd make sure to have low or no sugar options (iced tea, etc.) in addition to sugary sodas or punch. I'd recommend avoiding mocktails or any other "virgin" drinks if there's no alcohol at the event--having those types of drinks on offer seems to emphasize the fact that it's a dry wedding which could come off as judgmental to those who do consume alcohol . . . it's ultimately your wedding, but beware of the potential optics of intentionally offering such "faux" drinks at a dry wedding.

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 am

Mr400meterdash wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 am
It is an afternoon wedding. We are serving 2 types of meat, fresh fruit salad, rolls, 2 or 3 kinds of pasta salads, and I feel like there is something else that I can not remember off the top of my head
Salad salad, the green stuff? Any kind of vegetable? Pasta salads can be kind of heavy. Whole grain bread/rolls/crackers?

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:15 pm

cherijoh wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:29 am
daheld wrote:

That is an interesting map, and it is consistent with my experience. I was born in Minneapolis, and all i knew was pop. In central Illinois, it was the same thing, but when I moved to southern Illinois, everyone called pop soda. I can still remember going to a Dairy Queen, and I wanted an ice cream soda, and the poor girl had no idea what I was talking about. I used to work at a drug store counter, and so I told her how to do it. Dollop of chocolate sauce, a bit of ice cream, fill with soda water, mix, add two scoops ice cream. Yep, regional thing.

To the OP, I agree with the sparkling water, infused (cucumber, fruit, etc) water, some traditional soft drinks, tea, coffee. Maybe a sparkling cider for a toast.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Wife and I had a dry wedding, as we weren't old enough to drink legally! :oops:

We had open bars at all of our children's weddings. Beer, wine, and spirits were free and unlimited.

One daughter's fiancée was from Wisconsin, and expressed some concern during planning about only having two kegs of beer. We made sure we could get more if needed. Sure enough, we ran out, and consumed two more kegs. The band was so happy with the guest's enthusiasm, they extended their time for a pittance in extra charges. Probably helped that we told them they were welcome to eat and drink. Towards the end, we ordered pizzas for anyone left standing, and the guests of my new son-in-law set about cleaning everything up, as we were against a hard deadline. They cleaned up the reception hall, helped the caterers and musicians pack their stuff, then went next door to the hotel where they were all staying. No risk of anyone getting a DUI , or being involved in an accident.

My son-in-law tells me his buddies still talk about his great wedding.

The young men from Wisconsin were bottomless pits into which the alcohol poured. They all were very well behaved, and I was left in awe about their drinking prowess. The mothers in Wisconsin must fill their baby bottles with spiked milk! :shock:

Having or not having alcohol is squarely in the control of the two folks getting married. Their decision TOTALLY, and shouldn't thin the crowd attending, or affect the festivities, IMHO.

Me, I prefer alcohol. Others don't. Highly personal choice that should be respected. :sharebeer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:05 pm

audioaxes wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:36 pm
Green Crush has become very popular in malls around here. My wife is obsessed and has been trying to make agua frescas that taste just as good. They would be great for a large gathering like a wedding.
Looks like they cater too:
https://www.greencrush.com/catering

Are you totally against your guests drinking? Maybe your venue offers a cash bar with no additional cost to you to appease those that do and keep the celebration jumping. The one wedding reception I been to with no alcohol served died down to a crawl before it was even halfway over.

My brother had a large reception with no alcohol and it was by far the dullest reception i ever went to.The dance floor was empty and people left early.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:43 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (derailed to conjecture on social implications of a dry wedding). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.