Server Maintenance - June 21, 2018 at 15:45 EDT

Discussions about the forum and contents
mingstar
Founder

Server Maintenance - June 21, 2018 at 15:45 EDT

Post by mingstar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi Folks,

The facility which houses our server is going to be doing some fairly major maintenance/upgrades in September. The changes involve substantial work on the facility power infrastructure.

In preparation for that maintenance event, they want to test the redundant power supplies on all of the equipment so that we won't be off line should they need to drop one "side" of the power.

Our server has two new, high capacity, "platinum" supplies, both of which were tested when the machine was installed. I have pretty high confidence that they're both still OK. As such, I don't think we'll be affected and the test will pass without incident. But, just in case, I want to be prepared by stopping the server for a few minutes to make a full back-up just prior to their "pulling the plug."

So, next week, on June 21, 2018, I will stop the Bogleheads server at 15:45 (3:45 PM) EDT to make a back-up. Theirs is a big place so it involves coordination between a lot of people. I anticipate being back in normal operation in less than an hour.

Larry

SimpleGift

Re: Server Maintenance - June 21, 2018 at 15:45 EDT

Post by SimpleGift » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Larry, the opportunity doesn't arrive often to thank you for your tireless work behind the scenes keeping the Bogleheads Forum up and running, so I'd like to take advantage of this one. Thank you — your efforts are very much appreciated!
Cordially, Todd