Tipping HVAC installers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rob65

Tipping HVAC installers?

Post by rob65 »

I tried a search and there seemed to be conflicting opinions from what I saw. I'm having a new HVAC system installed today. It's pretty miserably hot in the area where they are having to add some duct work, if that makes a difference. I had chicken biscuits for the workers for breakfast (it's a southern thing) and I've had cold drinks available. However, I'm wondering if I should also give them a cash tip at the end of the day?
SimonJester

Re: Tipping HVAC installers?

Post by SimonJester »

No, its not a tipped position, they are probably making $20 - $30 an hour depending on locality.
Offer a cold drink, and perhaps a place to use the restroom.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Topic Author
rob65

Post by rob65 »

Yes, that had been my original thinking and I don't think I would have tipped if it was just a basic replacement. However, I know the work adding the new duct is pretty miserable and I'm leaning towards a "have a cold one on me" level cash tip.
Tech

Post by Tech »

Personally, I'd tip them.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I have tried to tip my HVAC guy a time or two when he was, imo, going above and beyond in extreme heat. He would have none of it. He is a long-time friend of DW's family (and seems to price his work to us accordingly--which was part of my reason for wanting to bolster his pay), so maybe that played a part, but I think it was just his professionalism.

I did persuade him to take a six-pack with him once as he mentioned he was planning to go work on his farm on the weekend. I think that will be my offer going forward :beer
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Not necessary at all, but if you want to it's fine and they'd be grateful.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

I never heard of tipping tradesmen with cash. Generally they say, "I'll do the job for x dollars', and x is what I pay. If they thought the job was worth more, I reckon they would charge more.

I might consider doing so if I made a request above and beyond the job I contracted for. For example, if I had a 'curb service' delivery to my home, I would tip cash to the delivery guy to schlep the package up my front steps into the house.

I 'tipped' some movers with ice cream novelties once. That actually went over pretty well. 8-)
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Since the install is today it's too late for my suggestion to be implemented. If your install is typically southern, then much of the ducwork and mechanics are likely in your attic. When I had my install done several summers ago, I offered to give the installers access starting around 3am. They were happy to get going in the dark (doesn't matter in the attic), and were done well before noon and before the attic temperature rose above 100F. Then we all had a cold one.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

No, there is no reason to. They are doing there job, not providing you some personal service, and getting fully paid by their employer.

Offer them a drink or snack if you want to be nice.

If you do tip them, don't forget to tip your attorneys and doctors, too. They provide a service.

JT
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I wouldn't tip. I think your food and drinks were enough.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I was a mover for a summer while I was in college and I appreciated families that fed us.... I still remembered to this and that was 40 years ago. Of course, I don't remember much from school.......
Last edited by DavidW on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

I tipped today when they replaced my AC unit, $15 to installer and $5 for his helper.
Helper was appreciative, installer was supprised and appreciative
Yes, they are paid rather well, the reason I tipped is that they checked and added freon to my 2nd AC unit for free saving me over $100 in regular call charges.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Here in AZ, a cooler of Gatorade, etc goes a long way.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
rob65

Post by rob65 »

OP here. I decided to tip $25 for each of the 2 installers. They seemed appreciative, and weren’t insulted, which I had been a little worried about. They were here 9 hours and the attic work was pretty miserable, so I felt okay with it. Wasn’t quite sure of the amount, but $25 per person seemed reasonable.
Topic Author
rob65

Post by rob65 »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:35 pm Since the install is today it's too late for my suggestion to be implemented. If your install is typically southern, then much of the ducwork and mechanics are likely in your attic. When I had my install done several summers ago, I offered to give the installers access starting around 3am. They were happy to get going in the dark (doesn't matter in the attic), and were done well before noon and before the attic temperature rose above 100F. Then we all had a cold one.
I hope I won’t need it for another 20 years, but this is a great idea. Even starting at 5 or 6 would make a big difference.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I wouldn't have thought to tip, but nothing wrong with it if someone wants to.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

rob65 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 pm I tried a search and there seemed to be conflicting opinions from what I saw. I'm having a new HVAC system installed today. It's pretty miserably hot in the area where they are having to add some duct work, if that makes a difference. I had chicken biscuits for the workers for breakfast (it's a southern thing) and I've had cold drinks available. However, I'm wondering if I should also give them a cash tip at the end of the day?
I like to buy lunch and provide cold drinks for workers when they spend all day at my house. I've never tipped one, though. Tipping is out of control in America.
JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni »

rob65 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 pm I tried a search and there seemed to be conflicting opinions from what I saw. I'm having a new HVAC system installed today. It's pretty miserably hot in the area where they are having to add some duct work, if that makes a difference. I had chicken biscuits for the workers for breakfast (it's a southern thing) and I've had cold drinks available. However, I'm wondering if I should also give them a cash tip at the end of the day?
Do you tip your car mechanic, your dentist, or your cashier? The same principle applies here IMO. They charge money for their time, no reason to pay extra...
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

barnaclebob wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:39 pm I wouldn't tip. I think your food and drinks were enough.
+1
food, drink, snacks,
appreciation

goes a long way
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

Yes, be friendly, hospital, offer food/water, etc. But no reason to give them money. They named a price for the job (most contractors factor in higher prices for working in bad temperatures) and that's what you pay them. It's completely different with someone setting a price for a professional/technical skill than someone serving you or providing you an "experience" in a situation where the employer does not offer them a reasonable wage and is passing the costs on to you. I'm a solid ~20% tipper at restaurants, but tipping for this kind of stuff is just absurd.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Is the installer the owner of the firm? Is the installer the person that came out to give you a quote? No tip.

Is the installer strictly a worker bee with no say in pricing? Tip.

Ralph
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

Boy this topic brought back some memories. Installer used to be my 2nd job. Spending all afternoon in an attic in July(Texas) definitely broadens your scale of "hot". I remember exiting the attic to get parts and 100 degrees felt cool. Or coming home and finding the money in my wallet so wet you had to lay it out to dry. Now in my 60's and can still work in a 100 degrees, but have retired from 140 degrees, at least all afternoon.